Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Chipquick in the UK?

Hi,

does anyone know where you can get Chipquick stuff in the UK?

http://www.chipquikinc.com/

I noticed CPC listed on the US website but UK CPC doesn't seem to have it.

Any alternatives? What is this stuff anyway?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

does anyone know where you can get Chipquick stuff in the UK?

http://www.chipquikinc.com/

I noticed CPC listed on the US website but UK CPC doesn't seem to have it.

Any alternatives? What is this stuff anyway?

Cheers,

Gareth.

It is an alloying material that lowers the melting point of the solder
to a very low temperature.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"don pearce" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

does anyone know where you can get Chipquick stuff in the UK?

http://www.chipquikinc.com/

I noticed CPC listed on the US website but UK CPC doesn't seem to have
it.

Any alternatives? What is this stuff anyway?

Cheers,

Gareth.

It is an alloying material that lowers the melting point of the solder to
a very low temperature.

So the combination of the two substances produces an alloy with a lower
melting point than the chipquick stuff itself?

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

does anyone know where you can get Chipquick stuff in the UK?

http://www.chipquikinc.com/

I noticed CPC listed on the US website but UK CPC doesn't seem to have
it.

Any alternatives? What is this stuff anyway?

Cheers,

Gareth.

It is an alloying material that lowers the melting point of the solder to
a very low temperature.

So the combination of the two substances produces an alloy with a lower
melting point than the chipquick stuff itself?

Gareth.

Don't know about that, but certainly much lower than the solder
itself.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

does anyone know where you can get Chipquick stuff in the UK?

http://www.chipquikinc.com/

I noticed CPC listed on the US website but UK CPC doesn't seem to have
it.

Any alternatives? What is this stuff anyway?

Cheers,

Gareth.

It is an alloying material that lowers the melting point of the solder
a very low temperature.

So the combination of the two substances produces an alloy with a lower
melting point than the chipquick stuff itself?

Gareth.

Don't know about that, but certainly much lower than the solder
itself.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

OK, seems that the chipquick alloy melts at 57 degrees C. Mix that with
solder and you get a very useful reduction in desolder temperature, no fancy
physics involved.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Gareth Magennis wrote:
[...]

57? That presumably makes it some alloy like Wood's Metal. I remember
the chemistry lab demo of this stuff. A teaspoon was moulded from it and
when it was used to stir some hot water in a beaker it melted.