Posted to rec.audio.tech
Martin Schöön

Default DIY speakers for computer?

I have a pair of 'computer speakers' hooked up to my computer.
Sound-wise the are OK since I don't ask much from them (if I
really want to listen I go to my living room and its audio
equipment) but they are butt-ugly. So, I thought, why not
build a pair that looks better and sound better? I am not
looking for anything really fancy since I am not prepared
to spend serious money or a lot of time on this.

I have looked around a little (!) for candidate designs but
haven't come across anything really interesting yet. The best
candidate to date is:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo103.html
A bit on the large side but about right when it comes to
the level of ambition and cost (judging from the price of
the Fostex FE103).

Anyone have any suggestions? (apart from telling me this is
a silly project - I already think so myself)

/Martin
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

Martin Schöön wrote:
[...]

Not silly at all. One thing you might look at is powered speakers which
are made for studio monitoring. There are several to choose from.

The little boxes referenced above are kind of cute; but consider that
all you are trying to do is effect a set of speakers for your computer.
The construction may be the thing putting you off.

Another thing you might try is to buy some decent semi-cheap passive
speakers and transplant the amps from the cheap-os into them...or
purchase 'chip' amp kits for the purpose...or hook the output from the
computer to your stereo system (Don't have good access to the stereo?
Buy decent older components: integrated amp and a pair of speakers,
especially for the purpose.)

If you're wanting to build completely from scratch, basically, you're
just building a set of speakers.

Any reasonably accurate design will do. There's nothing magical or
different about 'computer' speakers, except that most of the ones you
hear are horrible.
jak

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"jakdedert" wrote ...
Martin Schöön wrote:
I have a pair of 'computer speakers' hooked up to my computer.
Sound-wise the are OK since I don't ask much from them (if I
really want to listen I go to my living room and its audio
equipment) but they are butt-ugly. So, I thought, why not
build a pair that looks better and sound better? I am not
looking for anything really fancy since I am not prepared
to spend serious money or a lot of time on this.

I have looked around a little (!) for candidate designs but
haven't come across anything really interesting yet. The best
candidate to date is:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo103.html
A bit on the large side but about right when it comes to the level of
ambition and cost (judging from the price of the Fostex FE103).

The thickness of the enclosure walls nearly exceeds the dimensions
of the driver. This would make an excellent illustration for the
definition of the word "overkill". :-)

Anyone have any suggestions? (apart from telling me this is
a silly project - I already think so myself)

One of the kits from www.partsexpress.com (or several other
speaker DIY websites) seems more practical to me.

Any reasonably accurate design will do. There's nothing magical or
different about 'computer' speakers,

Except perhaps the frequent requirement for "magnetically-
shielded" drivers (because of the proximity of the CRT screen).
But shielded drivers are easily available, so it should not be
a deterrent to building a nice set of speakers.

except that most of the ones you hear are horrible.

Indeed. Any kind of speaker touting the word "computer"
is something to run away from at top speed. It doesn't take
much to come up with something bettter sounding.

Those small "home-recording powered monitors" are a
good antitode to "computer speakers". Like this genre...
M-Audio: StudioPro 3 or 4, Studiophile DX4
Edirol: MA-7A
Yamaha: MSP3, HS50M
Fostex: PM0.4
Alesis: Pro linear 820
etc. etc.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/n...Ns=P_Price%7C0

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

Richard Crowley wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote ...
Martin Schöön wrote:
[...]

The word 'dead' comes to mind as well...not a bad thing, per se, but
'overkill' works too. I clicked around on the site (remove everything
after '*.com' from the link supplied. Seems this particular Dutchman is
into 'dead'. He has an otherwise rather attractive gear *rack* built
from hollow birch plywood 'sandwiches' filled with sand!

The guy has built some interesting projects, and backs most up with some
extensive testing; but he appears to have swallowed a bit too much
audiophool snake oil.

Anyone have any suggestions? (apart from telling me this is
a silly project - I already think so myself)

One of the kits from www.partsexpress.com (or several other
speaker DIY websites) seems more practical to me.

Any reasonably accurate design will do. There's nothing magical or
different about 'computer' speakers,

Except perhaps the frequent requirement for "magnetically-
shielded" drivers (because of the proximity of the CRT screen).
But shielded drivers are easily available, so it should not be
a deterrent to building a nice set of speakers.

Good point, although LCD's are getting more and more common, and are
immune...

except that most of the ones you hear are horrible.

Indeed. Any kind of speaker touting the word "computer"
is something to run away from at top speed. It doesn't take
much to come up with something bettter sounding.

Those small "home-recording powered monitors" are a
good antitode to "computer speakers". Like this genre...
M-Audio: StudioPro 3 or 4, Studiophile DX4
Edirol: MA-7A
Yamaha: MSP3, HS50M
Fostex: PM0.4
Alesis: Pro linear 820
etc. etc.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/n...Ns=P_Price%7C0

These are exactly what I had in mind when I posted. Thanks for the link....

jak

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Martin Schöön

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:55:43 -0600, jakdedert wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote ...
Martin Schöön wrote:
I have a pair of 'computer speakers' hooked up to my computer.

BIG snip
Those small "home-recording powered monitors" are a
good antitode to "computer speakers". Like this genre...
M-Audio: StudioPro 3 or 4, Studiophile DX4
Edirol: MA-7A
Yamaha: MSP3, HS50M
Fostex: PM0.4
Alesis: Pro linear 820
etc. etc.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/n...Ns=P_Price%7C0

These are exactly what I had in mind when I posted. Thanks for the link....

jak

Gentlemen, you are overshooting the target by some and missing the
point of asking for DIY designs. Shopping 100 USD powered monitors
at www.musiciansfriend.com is hardly DIY.

When I use the term "computer speaker" its to describe its use
and the lack of intention to create something even remotely high-end.

Here is another DIY example I got pointed at from another forum:
http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/needles/needles.htm

/Martin

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , =?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_Sch=F6=F6n?= wrote:
[...]

It can be a great advantage to yourself, especially if you know
how to design. Fitting a system that looks good and fits into
you situation is ideal. Unfortuanately it takes time and effort.
I don't think I've run into designs especially for computers, but
its almost mandatory to have a subwoofer, along with small
satilites. I found the need to create my own center
channel home theater speaker when I could not find what
I was looking for.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Martin Schöön" wrote ...
When I use the term "computer speaker" its to describe its use
and the lack of intention to create something even remotely high-end.

Here is another DIY example I got pointed at from another forum:
http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/needles/needles.htm

You must have one heckuva computer if THOSE are "computer
speakers"! :-)

This is my concept of decent DIY comptuer speakers...
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....id=44&rak=kits
Just buy the drivers and crossover components and build you own
boxes if you want a full DIY experience. You could even change
the "aspect ratio" of the box (retaining the internal volume) to make
the speakers fit better adjacent to the computer screen, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Martin Schöön" wrote ...
Gentlemen, you are overshooting the target by some and missing the
point of asking for DIY designs. Shopping 100 USD powered monitors
at www.musiciansfriend.com is hardly DIY.

It wasn't intended as a direct answer to your question, but more
as an example of decent alternatives to those overpriced plastic
toy "computer speakers".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

Martin Schöön wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:55:43 -0600, jakdedert wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote ...
Martin Schöön wrote:
I have a pair of 'computer speakers' hooked up to my computer.

BIG snip
Those small "home-recording powered monitors" are a
good antitode to "computer speakers". Like this genre...
M-Audio: StudioPro 3 or 4, Studiophile DX4
Edirol: MA-7A
Yamaha: MSP3, HS50M
Fostex: PM0.4
Alesis: Pro linear 820
etc. etc.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/n...Ns=P_Price%7C0

These are exactly what I had in mind when I posted. Thanks for the link....

jak

Gentlemen, you are overshooting the target by some and missing the
point of asking for DIY designs. Shopping 100 USD powered monitors
at www.musiciansfriend.com is hardly DIY.

True, but you said that you were losing enthusiasm for the project...in
fact described it as possibly 'silly'.

I was trying to point you in a direction where you 'could' do varying
degrees of DIY (in my OP); or alternatively purchase ready-made powered
boxes which are several orders of magnitude superior to the normal
'computer speaker'.

When I use the term "computer speaker" its to describe its use
and the lack of intention to create something even remotely high-end.

The boxes you originally pointed out, were--in some respects--pretty
esoteric. In fact, that box with better drivers could be pretty
respectable in most circles. Certainly there would be near zero
coloration of the sound imparted by the box itself...something most mid
to high end units can't achieve.

Here is another DIY example I got pointed at from another forum:
http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/needles/needles.htm

If you're into building boxes, more power to you. I got the impression
you about to sh*tcan the entire project....

jak
/Martin

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , (=?iso-8859-1?q?Sch=F6=F6n?= Martin) wrote:
"Richard Crowley" writes:

"Martin Schöön" wrote ...
When I use the term "computer speaker" its to describe its use
and the lack of intention to create something even remotely high-end.

Here is another DIY example I got pointed at from another forum:
http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/needles/needles.htm

You must have one heckuva computer if THOSE are "computer
speakers"! :-)

My mind was also set for desktop boxes but I realised when seeing
the 'needles' that really skinny floorstanders would work really well
for me. Is this what 'thinking outside the box' is about? :-)

Freestanding speakers are likely to sound better, allthough they have less upper
bass when placed like this. I also like small boxes placed outward from the wall with brakets,
aimed at your face. Speakers are best normally placed at earlevel, but upward placed
speakers are cool, as long as they point to you.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Martin Schöön

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:27:03 -0600, jakdedert wrote:
snip

Gentlemen, you are overshooting the target by some and missing the
point of asking for DIY designs. Shopping 100 USD powered monitors
at www.musiciansfriend.com is hardly DIY.

True, but you said that you were losing enthusiasm for the project...in
fact described it as possibly 'silly'.

Well, the silliness comes from the fact that the blue, plastic
speakers I use today serves me well. Most of the time I just
listen to radio programs I have not had time to listen to
when they were broad-casted. Another example is BBC World Service.
In both cases I am facing heavily compressed audio. In short,
I don't need to up-grade but it would be a fun DIY project.

snip

Here is another DIY example I got pointed at from another forum:
http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/needles/needles.htm

If you're into building boxes, more power to you. I got the impression
you about to sh*tcan the entire project....

I don't mind building things:
http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/

Here are are a couple of DIY projects I have come across lately.
(Searching for web-places with the elements mentioned by the
needles guy led me to more projects and fora etc):
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html
http://www.maclementhorn.it/TB_W3-871S.htm
And a design program:
http://gspeakers.sourceforge.net/index.html

The zaphaudio guy seem to do little but produce new designs.

/Martin
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , =?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_Sch=F6=F6n?= wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:27:03 -0600, jakdedert wrote:
snip

Gentlemen, you are overshooting the target by some and missing the
point of asking for DIY designs. Shopping 100 USD powered monitors
at www.musiciansfriend.com is hardly DIY.

True, but you said that you were losing enthusiasm for the project...in
fact described it as possibly 'silly'.

Well, the silliness comes from the fact that the blue, plastic
speakers I use today serves me well. Most of the time I just
listen to radio programs I have not had time to listen to
when they were broad-casted. Another example is BBC World Service.
In both cases I am facing heavily compressed audio. In short,
I don't need to up-grade but it would be a fun DIY project.

Plenty of time before you decide.!
greg

snip

Here is another DIY example I got pointed at from another forum:
http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/needles/needles.htm

If you're into building boxes, more power to you. I got the impression
you about to sh*tcan the entire project....

I don't mind building things:
http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/

Here are are a couple of DIY projects I have come across lately.
(Searching for web-places with the elements mentioned by the
needles guy led me to more projects and fora etc):
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html
http://www.maclementhorn.it/TB_W3-871S.htm
And a design program:
http://gspeakers.sourceforge.net/index.html

The zaphaudio guy seem to do little but produce new designs.

/Martin

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[...]

I find myself wanting to listen to other highly rated speakers, so I bought
a set of Paradigm Atom's. Not really fond of these. So now I need to audition a
pair of Axiom Audio Millennia M3Ti SE'a. These are on the Goodsound website.
After hearing other speakers, I can see how my own design stack up.
So regardless of doing it yourself, its always nice to have some other
similar sized speakers to compare.

greg