Rhgoo7

Default Musical Fidelity TriVista DAC

Has anyone heard the new Musical Fidelity TriVista DAC and formrd an opinion of
this unit?

Richard
Mkuller

(Rhgoo7) wrote:

Has anyone heard the new Musical Fidelity TriVista DAC and formrd an opinion

of
this unit?

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
Overpriced and overhyped - typical MF. Buy a good one-box player,
ideally a 'universal' like the top Denon or Pioneer models.

How did the MF *sound*, Stewart? Give us a description.
Regards,
Mike

Mkuller

(Mkuller) wrote:
How did the MF *sound*, Stewart? Give us a description.

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
Like any other reasonably competent outboard DAC. Hence, overpriced
and overhyped - and using irreplaceable components.

You mean you couldn't hear any difference between the NuVista tubes and other
solid state DACs? That seems pretty remarkable...
Regards,
Mike

Stewart Pinkerton

On 29 Jan 2004 20:29:55 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 29 Jan 2004 16:11:27 GMT, "Alan Murphy"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 28 Jan 2004 16:01:32 GMT, (Rhgoo7) wrote:

Has anyone heard the new Musical Fidelity TriVista DAC and formrd an
opinion of
this unit?

Overpriced and overhyped - typical MF. Buy a good one-box player,
ideally a 'universal' like the top Denon or Pioneer models.

Why one box. Provided the output is reclocked from the dac the
two box solution seems to offer a number of practical advantages.

But it's *not* reclocked, which is why it's of necessity inferior.
Check jitter results for even a cheap Sony player against these
so-called 'high end' DACs.

Stewart, what do you make of the technical results of
comparing one-box vs
separates in this paper, where Dunn et al conclude that
disc- or player-related sampling
jitter is NOT the cause of the distortion observed in their
measurements of one-box players?

http://www.prismsound.com/downloads/cdinvest.pdf

I don't see anything relevant there, and as it happens, I was one of
the 'postal votes'. Note that there is well-documented evidence of
significantly lower jitter in one-box players from many years of Paul
Miller's technical tests in HFN.

Uptown Audio

The only practical advantage would be if it had multiple inputs. The
reason that I offer my customers to avoid outboard DACs in favor of
one box players is that even if all other things are equal you get a
free transport, which is the most likely part of the system to fail.
What's not to like? A DAC upgrade and a free transport. It seems
pretty obvious where the advantages lie without even looking into how
the sections were purpose designed to operate together. That said, I
bought an on-board upgrade to my Bryston BP25 preamp (BP25DA), which
is a DAC installed where the phono board might go. I have their
excellent external phono stage (BP1.5) and had the space. What I
gained by doing that was the ability to plug-in whatever DVD player I
liked and also have a second digital input available for Satellite TV
or Digital Cable Radio or whatever digital medium that I fancy next.
It also takes-up no space being on-board. (ok I can't wait to hear the
physics gurus tell me how it does take-up space...). The reason that I
bought the upgrade was to take advantage of the additional input and
the fact that I already had a nice DVD player with low hours.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Alan Murphy" wrote in message
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 28 Jan 2004 16:01:32 GMT, (Rhgoo7) wrote:

Has anyone heard the new Musical Fidelity TriVista DAC and formrd

an
opinion of
this unit?

Overpriced and overhyped - typical MF. Buy a good one-box player,
ideally a 'universal' like the top Denon or Pioneer models.

Why one box. Provided the output is reclocked from the dac the
two box solution seems to offer a number of practical advantages.

Alan