Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Soundblaster Audigy. Which model ?

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

OTOH, re-sampling appears to involve going from digital
to analog and then back to digital for no compelling
reason.

No. It can all be done in DSP.

The issue is not how it *can* be done, but how it was done
by "Creative".

It was always done in the digital domain. Cheaper that way.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Richard Crowley wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote ...
Soundhaspriority wrote:
The card does not have professional grade specs.

Is "Audigy" the one that re-samples everything? Yuck.
Do any sound devices from Creative have better-than-
average performance?

I'm well aware of that thanks. It is however somewhat
superior to many classic soundcard implementations
though.

As gutter runoff is "somewhat superior" to sewage.
Damned by feint praise?

For £3.19 ($6.40) I'm really not complaining. I needed
another sound card anyway. I enjoy getting a bargain too.

If you want a real thrill, loop some of your favorite music through your
Audigy and re-record it, and see how many times you have to do this in
cascade until you can reliabily hear a difference with one of the PCABX
programs out there. Be sure to pay attention to level-matching. I suspect
the number is 1.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote
"Eeyore" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

OTOH, re-sampling appears to involve going from digital
to analog and then back to digital for no compelling
reason.

No. It can all be done in DSP.

The issue is not how it *can* be done, but how it was done
by "Creative".

It was always done in the digital domain. Cheaper that way.

What was so flawed about their original method Arny ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote
"Eeyore" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

OTOH, re-sampling appears to involve going from
digital to analog and then back to digital for no
compelling reason.

No. It can all be done in DSP.

The issue is not how it *can* be done, but how it was
done by "Creative".

It was always done in the digital domain. Cheaper that
way.

What was so flawed about their original method Arny ?

The original method audibly degraded both dynamic range and bandwidth.

Download the files from this page and listen for yourself with one of the
many fine DBT test coordination software out there - right now I use this
one: http://www.kikeg.arrakis.es/winabx/ . Be sure to turn off the
nonstandard test option.

Looking around for user reports about my test files - it appears that the
french horn sample is particuarly revealatory.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...php/t3333.html

You might find this interesting:

http://forum.rightmark.org/post.cgi?id=edit:4:122:21

Posted to rec.audio.tech
WindsorFox WindsorFox is offline

Eeyore wrote:

WindsorFox wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
WindsorFox wrote:

Google is your friend.
IDIOT !

Windsor is right. Learn how to use Google. It is a search engine.
I *did* use it !

Even Creative's site does not offer any cross-reference between model number and

model name though.

I found it. Easily. Usually I offer such information too. But I'm
only a troll and an idiot, you would not want any of my information. I
even have copies of reviews I wrote a number of years ago comparing it
to other cards. All the drivers, software etc. But what to I know....

You know something ?

With respect to your tweeter protection issue I recommended a relay based protector
(using active circuitry). I don't know of any you'll find on the web though.

I even started sketching one out.

I'm wondering why I even bothered.

Graham

Don't make me go back and quote all of your frothing rants and
personal attacks....

--
"Yes, it is a good thing you are handy, as
you clearly suck at being smart." - Herb

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

WindsorFox wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

You know something ?

With respect to your tweeter protection issue I recommended a relay based protector

(using active circuitry). I don't know of any you'll find on the web though.

I even started sketching one out.

I'm wondering why I even bothered.

Don't make me go back and quote all of your frothing rants

I haven't ranted about anything in this thread. I rarely rant in fact.

and personal attacks....

You clearly haven't a clue what a personal attack is.

You are an idiot however.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

WindsorFox wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
You know something ?

With respect to your tweeter protection issue I recommended a relay based protector

(using active circuitry). I don't know of any you'll find on the web though.
I even started sketching one out.

I'm wondering why I even bothered.

Don't make me go back and quote all of your frothing rants

I haven't ranted about anything in this thread. I rarely rant in fact.

and personal attacks....

You clearly haven't a clue what a personal attack is.

You are an idiot however.

Graham

Says the one who can't use the Web. At least *I* know what Sound
Blaster you have and *I* have all the drivers, manuals and software for
it including several nice reviews. Thanks for playing though....