Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] katarzynka.j@gmail.com is offline

Default Cutting stereo in two

Hi there,

I have a short audio file in stereo with some cracks coming from my
left speaker when I play it. I'd like to cut the right channel out so
that I hear only the clear sound. It would be mono (right?), but I
don' care. I even installed Audacity, but cannot handle the case on my
own.

Please advise!

KJ

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

) writes:
Hi there,

I have a short audio file in stereo with some cracks coming from my
left speaker when I play it. I'd like to cut the right channel out so
that I hear only the clear sound. It would be mono (right?), but I
don' care. I even installed Audacity, but cannot handle the case on my
own.

It would be one channel, but it wouldn't be "mono". If you remove
one channel, you remove the contents of that channel. Stereo is not
sending the same signal to two speakers, it's creating an actual spatial
feel to the sound by selectively directing different sounds to different
speakers.

What goes where depends on the recording. IN some, one channel might
result in most of the sound, but a relatively weak vocal track (or
maybe none at all). In others, you might be missing some of the
instruments, or at least they'd be severely reduced in volume
compared to the rest. Or, really neat sound effects, such as
two guitars "battling" each other, one in each channel, would turn
into nonsense since you'd only hear part of it.

Michael
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] katarzynka.j@gmail.com is offline

I see what you mean, thanks for the explanation.

Nevertherless, my file is spoken word anyway and muting one speaker
works just fine, as far as sound quality is concerned. I certainly
won't dare to cut anything from a music track ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

I have a short audio file in stereo with some cracks coming from my
left speaker when I play it. I'd like to cut the right channel out so
that I hear only the clear sound. It would be mono (right?), but I
don' care. I even installed Audacity, but cannot handle the case on my
own.

This looks like it will work:

Import the stereo file
Split the tracks - click the file name to the right of the x, to get
drop-down menu with "split stereo track" command
select and copy the channel that has clear sound. Be sure to select all of
it.
select noisy track and paste channel with clear sound over it. Be sure to
paste from exact beginning
Combine the tracks - click the file name to the right of the x, in the top
channel to get drop-down menu with "make stereo track" command
export new stereo file

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in message
I have a short audio file

How big is the file?

And that is relevant to the question/answer how exactly?

Because if it was a small file I would offer to do it.

OK, but better that the OP learns how to use the software himself IMO.

And I have removed the effects of scratches manually using Audacity
quite effectively (although it's time consuming).

Certainly can be.

MrT.

Cutting stereo in two [email protected] Pro Audio 2 April 18th 07 08:49 PM
Amp cutting out? [email protected] Car Audio 9 January 25th 06 09:24 PM
Help! JL Audio AMP cutting out. Paul Car Audio 4 September 30th 04 05:13 PM
cutting out AL Car Audio 1 September 15th 03 03:47 AM
Cutting engineers S888Wheel Audio Opinions 1 July 27th 03 08:00 PM