Default what are multi tracks wrt a MIDI file

Hi All,

I have just started reading the basics of MIDI and as of now would
like to know more about tracks.
What is single track file format and what is multi track file format?
Is the advantage of a multi track file format over single track file
format is during editing of the composition alone? Are there any other
advantages?

When I open any midi file, I usually see many 'MTrk' Track Chunk
headers, does it mean that the file is in multi track format? If the
file format is single track, will it imply that the file would show
only one 'MTrk' Track Chunk header?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Anoop Deoras
Sasken Communication Technologies
India

John Braner

Of course none of this is important unless you want to export MIDI data from
one application to another - or if you need to make a "generic" file to be
loaded many different applications (ie sequencers).

Apologies if you already knew this...

--
John Braner

http://www.soundclick.com/johnbranermusic.htm

"GruvMaker" wrote in message
On 26 Jul 2005 00:13:23 -0700, wrote:

Hi All,

I have just started reading the basics of MIDI and as of now would
like to know more about tracks.
What is single track file format and what is multi track file format?
Is the advantage of a multi track file format over single track file
format is during editing of the composition alone? Are there any other
advantages?

When I open any midi file, I usually see many 'MTrk' Track Chunk
headers, does it mean that the file is in multi track format? If the
file format is single track, will it imply that the file would show
only one 'MTrk' Track Chunk header?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Anoop Deoras
Sasken Communication Technologies
India

A single track file format is just that it takes all MIDI tracks and
saves it to one track this also known as a Type 0 MIDI File this good
for media players with MIDI playback capability

A multi track file also known as a Type 1 MIDI file takes the same
MIDI file and splits all the parts to its own channel across 16 MIDI
channels with channel 10 usually being the drum track. This wuold be
preferred method if you wanted to edit the parts, use a different
sound etc.

Preben Friis

wrote in message
ps.com...

When I open any midi file, I usually see many 'MTrk' Track Chunk
headers, does it mean that the file is in multi track format?

Yes.

If the
file format is single track, will it imply that the file would show
only one 'MTrk' Track Chunk header?

Yes.

The specification is at
http://www.midi.org/