Posted to rec.audio.tech
Nono Nono is offline

Default Optimal cable lengths for analog and digital connection in audio chain.

For the instalation of my newly purchased L2 converter, I have to make
the following choice:
-a. Install next to my DAT recorder so I can use a short (100/110 ohm)
cable for the digital connection between the two, but a long (5 mtrs)
common audiocable to feed audio to the L2 from my mixer's master
inserts / patchbay.
-b. Install together with my other gear and patchbay at the other side
of the console. In this case I can use a short audio cable, but would
have to use a long (5 mtrs) digital cable (100/110 ohm) to reach the
DAT recorder.

So:
Choice A: 5 mtr audio cable between console and L2 (A/D), and 30 cm
(100 ohm) cable between L2 and DAT digital i/o,
or
Choice B: 30 cm audio cable between console and L2 (A/D), and 5 mtr
(100 ohm) cable between L2 and DAT digital i/o.

Maybe it doesn't matter for these distances, but I would still be
interested which would theoretically be the better alternative.

Furthermore, what is the longest advisable audio cables one may use
for studio applications.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
none none is offline

Nono wrote:
[...]

For balanced (110 Ohm) Digital audio cable length can be 500 meter or
more.
For balanced analog I would advise not to go over 150 meter.

That would answer your question about 5 meter as; it doesn't matter.

Andre

in 1994 BBC research presented a paper at an AES convention that claims
they have made perfect digital audio connections of up to 800 meter
using CAT-5 cable !!!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

none wrote:
Nono wrote:
[...]

And you may remember Canford Audio's demos at IBC and other shows which
had an AES signal going literally over a piece of wet string. (actually
two pieces of wet string as it was balanced).

S.

http://audiopages.googlepages.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Nono Nono is offline