"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 1 Sep 2005 15:08:26 GMT,
wrote:

I agree with you that a difference in personal experience underlies the
perspective of the two "camps"---or at least, I see such a difference
in the posts I read here.

For example, if you ask somebody to compare two pieces of equipment,
and they sound quite similar (that is, they aren't grossly different),
then I've noticed a couple different responses. Some people want to set
up a quick-switching test. This is like getting closer and looking at
finer and finer detail. Other people intuitively want to have a nice
long relaxed listening session with each thing, letting their
perceptions "settle in" and become focused on the unique qualities of
each piece.

It may be that each of these people has found a way to look closely at
the particular things he/she most cares about. And of course, different
people are listening *for* different things.

No Michael, you've only ever seen one *real* difference between the
two camps. Those who complain about quick-switch tests are invariably
the same ones who favour sighted listening - however much some of them
may try to disguise that fact. *That* is what really does make a
difference.

The interesting thing is how subjectivists complain about the necessity of
making a quick judgment when doing a blind test. Snap judgments don't seem
to be a problem at all when they do it sighted!

Norm Strong

Although I have seen audiophiles listening to equipment make very quick
judgments, I don't trust those myself. I take my time.

Mike

Look, FRIEND, this NOT a scientific experiment, and I never said it
was.

It CANNOT be such. It is a product comparison, no more, no less. If you
want to conduct scientific auditory tests, do so on your time and your
dime.

I claim that I heard a consistent difference between products or a
consistent lack of difference between products.

The simplest explanation for such an occurance is that the products
themselves are responsible for these phenomena. There is no
'sophistry', and I am not going to give an inch. I heard what I heard,
and I conducted the listening comparisons quite carefully. What you
chose to believe is none of my business. What I buy or the reasons I
buy it is none of your business.

This is not and cannot be turned into a 'scientific experiment'. I have
never represented it as such, and I'll be glad when you stop trying to
distort what I say and what I do into something else.

You will please refrain from doing so further.

People frequently say that they hear a difference when
there is no difference to be heard.

Impossible to prove.

Denial of reality again. This is so trivially true, and easily
demonstrated empirically, that even many subjectivists won't deny it.
And if all you're doing here is describing a purchasing decision, why
are you so keen to deny it? Answer: Because that's not what you're
doing at all. More below.

snip

I claim ONLY that I heard a difference whenever I made the switch,
and without fail. This sort of claim requires no support, because it is
a report merely of MY experience. Ever read Hume?

Hume would easily see through your sophistry. You are not now claiming
and have never claimed only that the two cables sounded different to
you. You have consistently asserted that there IS an audible difference
between them, which is what you (think you) heard. You consistently
invoke your mere perception as evidence that this difference really
exists. And you consistently deny--not challenge with countervailing
argument, just baldly deny--all of the empirical work demonstrating
that your mere perception is unconvincing as evidence that such a
difference exists.

And whenever the heat gets too great, and the scientific facts against
you pile up too high, you retreat to your pose as a mere humble
consumer trying to make a purchasing decision, so you aren't required
to answer the scientific objections you have no answer for.

That's sophistry, and you are not fooling anyone.

bob

Chung

wrote:

[...]

Yes, many is the time when a subjectivist notices a night and day
difference immediately. Then all those differences become so hard to
discern when simply levels are matched and identities blinded...and the
need to *live* with the prodict to tell them apart becomes overwhelming.

Norm Strong

Harry Lavo

wrote in message

snip

The interesting thing is how subjectivists complain about the necessity of
making a quick judgment when doing a blind test. Snap judgments don't
seem
to be a problem at all when they do it sighted!

This cheap shot really doesn't become you Norm. It is wrong, wrong, wrong!

I've never heard any basis for that statement here on RAHE or on Usenet for
that matter. Any audiophile I know takes as long as he can in evaluating
two pieces of gear with the thought of replacing one with the other. The
timing is usually dictated by how long the return guarantee or the loan is
for.

Norman M. Schwartz

It would be interesting to learn on what basis listeners here decided to own
the equipment they own and/or recently purchased. No brand names please, but
$ spent might be of interest. How many here actually put their money where
their mouths are? I seem to recall that during the much publicized
Stereophile debate, the participants bought bupkes, (or next to bupkes).

Mark DeBellis

Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

I guess that we just have to, yet again, agree to disagree.

You know, it is not an opinion, like whether CD vs vinyl sounds more
real, that we are disagreeing. You are simply not understanding what a
simple sentence like: "Because if a difference is not detected by the
listener, then the two sources *must* sound the same to the listener."
mean, and drawing the wrong conclusions, and then insisting that you are
right.

But I think this is the crux of it. What is the status of the claim:
"If a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two sources
*must* sound the same to the listener"? How do you know that's true?
Is it an empirical claim? A tautology? What does "must" mean here?

If "sound the same" is read broadly enough to mean "has the same
perceptual effects," then it's not at all obvious why it *must* be
true, because, given that two signals are moment-by-moment
indistinguishable, it's not at all obvious why the effect of listening
to one for five minutes *must* be the same as the effect of listening
to the other for five minutes (including effects on subsequent
perception).

If the claim read in this way is true, then it rests on facts about
human psychology which deserve a full airing; it's not a "must" of
logic or a tautology, which (correct me if I'm wrong) *seems* to be
what you're saying it is.

Mark

Stewart Pinkerton

On 3 Sep 2005 14:45:49 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 1 Sep 2005 15:08:26 GMT, wrote:

snip Michael's comments, as I am responding to Stewart

No Michael, you've only ever seen one *real* difference between the
two camps. Those who complain about quick-switch tests are invariably
the same ones who favour sighted listening - however much some of them
may try to disguise that fact. *That* is what really does make a
difference.

No, we don't favour sighted listening, except as superior to abx testing and
other tests relying on short snippet, quick switch, out of musical context
listening. Those happen to be blind and extended blind tests at home are
very difficult to do. So we are left with long term sighted tests, with
sighted quick-switching thrown in a needed. We also think the "case"
against those tests being useful is strongly overstated by the abx advocates
on usenet.

I have yet to see *any* of the 'objectivists' have any problem with an
extended *blind* test - except to note that many decades of
experimentation have shown that this is in reality a *less* sensitive
method of comparison.

This is a canard, Stewart. Many of we subjectivists also support "blind"
extended listening...but in fact it is almost impossible to do at home in a
realistic way for a variety of practical reasons...inability to get long
term loans, the physical aspects of "hiding" the units under test" and need
for a third-party proctor. Moreover, the only switchbox I know that is
available to do single-person testing is an abx box, which is a
matching-identity test that is the furthest removed from ordinary home
listening and of little interest to most of us. That is very different from
being "opposed to blind tests" in general.

Thank you for proving my point so comprehensively.

Chung

Mark DeBellis wrote:

Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

I guess that we just have to, yet again, agree to disagree.

You know, it is not an opinion, like whether CD vs vinyl sounds more
real, that we are disagreeing. You are simply not understanding what a
simple sentence like: "Because if a difference is not detected by the
listener, then the two sources *must* sound the same to the listener."
mean, and drawing the wrong conclusions, and then insisting that you are
right.

But I think this is the crux of it.

Or rather, a point that you want to argue ad nauseum...

What is the status of the claim:
"If a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two sources
*must* sound the same to the listener"?

Status of the claim? What do you have in mind?

How do you know that's true?

If two things do not sound different in a given test, then they sound
the same in that test. I know it is true, because I cannot see any way
that it is *NOT* true.

Is it an empirical claim? A tautology?

It is close to a tautology. As I said, it is almost by definition. It
reduces to the fact that if things are not the same, then there *HAVE*
to be differences.

What does "must" mean here?

Means they have to.

If "sound the same" is read broadly enough to mean "has the same
perceptual effects," then it's not at all obvious why it *must* be
true, because, given that two signals are moment-by-moment
indistinguishable, it's not at all obvious why the effect of listening
to one for five minutes *must* be the same as the effect of listening
to the other for five minutes (including effects on subsequent
perception).

"Sound the same" means there is no difference in the way they sound that
is detectible.

If the claim read in this way is true, then it rests on facts about
human psychology which deserve a full airing; it's not a "must" of
logic or a tautology, which (correct me if I'm wrong) *seems* to be
what you're saying it is.

Excuse me, but you have been engaging others in this torturous
discussion for way too long, and I don't think I can help you here,
given that so many others have tried, and have proven unsuccessful.

But back to the inference that was erroneously drawn, my statement does
not imply that if no difference were detected in one test, then the two
have to sound the same in *every* test.

Norman M. Schwartz wrote:
It would be interesting to learn on what basis listeners here
decided to own the equipment they own and/or recently purchased.
No brand names please, but $ spent might be of interest. How many
here actually put their money where their mouths are? I seem to
recall that during the much publicized Stereophile debate, the
participants bought bupkes, (or next to bupkes).

To the best of my recollection, Mr. Schwartz, this subject wasn't
mentioned in the HE2005 debate. I don't know about Mr. Krueger's
system, but I have purchased almost all the components that reside
long-term in my system. Over the past 10 years, the sum I have
spent on audio components (not including recording gear) is
$30k.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Sep 2005 02:04:21 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

I guess that we just have to, yet again, agree to disagree.

You know, it is not an opinion, like whether CD vs vinyl sounds more
real, that we are disagreeing. You are simply not understanding what a
simple sentence like: "Because if a difference is not detected by the
listener, then the two sources *must* sound the same to the listener."
mean, and drawing the wrong conclusions, and then insisting that you are
right.

But I think this is the crux of it. What is the status of the claim:
"If a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two sources
*must* sound the same to the listener"? How do you know that's true?
Is it an empirical claim? A tautology? What does "must" mean here?

If you are not a legendary creature of Norse origin, the status of the
claim is obvious. Things which do not sound different must therefore
sound the same. It's not a difficult concept, now is it?

If "sound the same" is read broadly enough to mean "has the same
perceptual effects," then it's not at all obvious why it *must* be
true, because, given that two signals are moment-by-moment
indistinguishable, it's not at all obvious why the effect of listening
to one for five minutes *must* be the same as the effect of listening
to the other for five minutes (including effects on subsequent
perception).

Simple really - it's because the listener could detect no difference.

If the claim read in this way is true, then it rests on facts about
human psychology which deserve a full airing; it's not a "must" of
logic or a tautology, which (correct me if I'm wrong) *seems* to be
what you're saying it is.

Of course it's a 'must'. It has nothing to do with whether the test is
sihghted, blind, short-term or long-term, it's about whether the
listener could hear a difference. Things that are not different, are
de facto the same.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 4 Sep 2005 15:01:09 GMT, wrote:

Look, FRIEND, this NOT a scientific experiment, and I never said it
was.

We can agree on that, at least!

It CANNOT be such. It is a product comparison, no more, no less. If you
want to conduct scientific auditory tests, do so on your time and your
dime.

I claim that I heard a consistent difference between products or a
consistent lack of difference between products.

Yes, we're all too aware of that................

The simplest explanation for such an occurance is that the products
themselves are responsible for these phenomena.

No, it isn't. Your refusal to accept that this is so, does not alter
the facts of the matter.

There is no
'sophistry', and I am not going to give an inch.

Sure there is. You have invented all kinds of excuses to avoid the
simple truth.

I heard what I heard,
and I conducted the listening comparisons quite carefully.

No, you didn't, patently so in both cases.

What you
chose to believe is none of my business. What I buy or the reasons I
buy it is none of your business.

But what you choose to claim on this newsgroup certainly *is* our
business..................

This is not and cannot be turned into a 'scientific experiment'. I have
never represented it as such, and I'll be glad when you stop trying to
distort what I say and what I do into something else.

You will please refrain from doing so further.

That will likely happen immediately following your retraction of your
baseless claim that there are real differences to be heard among
cables.

Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

If the claim read in this way is true, then it rests on facts about
human psychology which deserve a full airing; it's not a "must" of
logic or a tautology, which (correct me if I'm wrong) *seems* to be
what you're saying it is.

Excuse me, but you have been engaging others in this torturous
discussion for way too long, and I don't think I can help you here,
given that so many others have tried, and have proven unsuccessful.

This is one of the differences between the "camps"-- this sort of
discussion may be torture for you, but to me it is interesting and very
relevant. I'm enjoying Mark's posts. I get the feeling that rahe is for
you, a turf you would like to protect from claims of things you
disagree with. Since you have no control over what is posted here, and
since this discussion is torturous for you, it would seem that you
would be more satisfied if you disengaged from it.

Mike

Harry Lavo

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote in message
It would be interesting to learn on what basis listeners here decided to
own
the equipment they own and/or recently purchased. No brand names please,
but
$ spent might be of interest. How many here actually put their money where
their mouths are? I seem to recall that during the much publicized
Stereophile debate, the participants bought bupkes, (or next to bupkes).

Well, I for one, after all the debate here about amplifiers "wire=wire" just
replaced my front three channels with monoblocks from Outlaw. Outlaw offers
a thirty-day "no quibble" money-back guarantee, and I took advantage of it
to test for three weeks before making a final decision. I reconfigured my
system first for stereo, so I could test two monos against one of my three
Audionics CC-2 stereo amps...switched back and fourth, then changed preamps
back and forth behind the power amps. Then reconfigured the system back to
five-channel full range, and tested the system again the same
way...substituting two amps for the monoblocks, back and fourth, then
switching three preamps for three preamps. I clearly determined a) that the
monoblocks delivered more low end grunt with my speakers (as they should
have with 200-300wpc versus 70-110wpc), b) that they made dynamic response
of the system rock solid, and c) that they were more transparent than my
previous power amps (which sound very good but are not quite as transparent,
being late '70's models) thus allowing the stage depth and soundstaging of
one set of preamps to outweigh the other.. Having determined these things,
I bought them even though for me in my semi-retirement it represented a
sizeable outlay. I have no buyers remorse and enjoy the system immensely,
playing orchestral music and big band jazz at somewhat higher levels than
before because of the system's newfound dynamic abilities. As well as
hearing orchestral reproduction very much as I hear it in the shed at
Tanglewood or at Bushnell Auditorium in Hartford. At this point, I think
the only upgrade left that I would be interested in would be to substitute a
BelCanto Pre6 or ARC's equivalent for the three Onkyo preamps. But it will
be several years, if at all, until I can afford that. Meanwhile I am very
satisfied and enjoying multichannel immensely.

Harry Lavo

[...]

Your are very welcome. Others are free to draw their own conclusions.

Ed Seedhouse

On 5 Sep 2005 15:23:02 GMT, Chung wrote:

if a difference is not detected by the
listener, then the two sources *must* sound the same to the listener."

Surely it is clear that denying the above is logically identical
asserting the following:

"I cannot distinguish any difference between the sound of these two."
"Nevertheless these two sound different to me."

Which is to simultaneously believe two contradictory propositions.

Ed Seedhouse,
Victoria, B.C.

Chung

Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

If the claim read in this way is true, then it rests on facts about
human psychology which deserve a full airing; it's not a "must" of
logic or a tautology, which (correct me if I'm wrong) *seems* to be
what you're saying it is.

Excuse me, but you have been engaging others in this torturous
discussion for way too long, and I don't think I can help you here,
given that so many others have tried, and have proven unsuccessful.

This is one of the differences between the "camps"-- this sort of
discussion may be torture for you, but to me it is interesting and very
relevant. I'm enjoying Mark's posts. I get the feeling that rahe is for
you, a turf you would like to protect from claims of things you
disagree with.

I don't share your feeling at all. I like a lively debate of opposing
ideas as much as anyone else, but in this case, we are going over the
same points, since, oh, the middle of June, or so. And Mark still wants
to "debate" what it means when two things sound the same, or if there
are no differences between them. It takes someone with a lot more
scientific curiosity than I have to find this particular point worth
further elaboration after almost three months.

Of course, you are welcome to carry on and discuss what it means to say
two things sound the same.

And I don't see how I, or anyone else, can "protect a turf" here, given
that we are not the moderators and we do not own this forum, and given
that this thread is 537 posts long already, and still continuing.

Since you have no control over what is posted here, and
since this discussion is torturous for you, it would seem that you
would be more satisfied if you disengaged from it.

Uh, isn't that exactly what I was saying, and I could not help him and
therefore did not respond to those questions?

Mike

Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

[...]

Actually it is very simple. He wrote "a difference is not detected by
the listener." You changed that to "things which do not sound
different." Whether these are equivalent is something that needs to be
examined.

--
Michael Mossey. | "Cd players & amps have different, audible musical
qualities."

Jenn

In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung

wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung

wrote:

What matters, or might well matter to some, is whether the
information
derived from one source, or its perceptual effect, is the
same
as
that
from another source (in blind musical listening). Why
should
we
assume
that
this reduces to a matter of detecting differences?

Because if a difference is not detected by the listener, then
the
two
sources *must* sound the same to the listener. It's really
that
simple.

Actually to be more fully correct, if a difference is not
detected
by
the listener under the given test conditions, then they must
sound
the
same under those conditions.

Actually, the qualification you added does not make my statement
any
"more truly correct". What you were trying to say is that there
might be
some test conditions where the listener could detect differences.
If
that is the case, then the listener simply can detect differences
under
those test conditions, and of course the two will therefore not
sound
the same to that listener under those test conditions. Rather
obvious,
is it not?

Obvious, yes, but left out of your paragraph. Your paragraph
would
seem
to indicate that if a listener hears no differences under a
specific
set
of conditions, then the listener will hear no differences under
any
conditions. This, of course, is not a given.

I would then suggest that you are not reading carefully and are
drawing
erroneous inferences.

Untrue. Your statement suggests that if a listener doesn't hear a
difference in a test, that for that listener, there is no difference.
That thought doesn't at all take into account, for example, test
validity or testing conditions.

Well, Jenn, try to read carefully now. snip

Uncalled for sarcasm noted, and unappreciated.

What you should have noted instead is the exasperation expressed in that
sentence.

You should have read what I wrote that didn't get approved for posting!

Thanks but no thanks. What's the point?

Exasperation that a simple sentence can be so misread due to a
perception bias, despite my subsequent attempts to explain.

I guess that we just have to, yet again, agree to disagree.

You know, it is not an opinion, like whether CD vs vinyl sounds more
real, that we are disagreeing. You are simply not understanding what a
simple sentence like: "Because if a difference is not detected by the
listener, then the two sources *must* sound the same to the listener."
mean, and drawing the wrong conclusions, and then insisting that you are
right.

Well, Chung, "try to read carefully now." I'm not disagreeing with your
statement: "Because if a difference is not detected by the listener,
then the two sources *must* sound the same to the listener." I'm simply
saying that it is more clear, and it contributes more information to the
debate to add a reminder that under different conditions the listener
might well detect differences. That's all.

Mark DeBellis

Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

If by detectable you mean "actually detected," then that is a
tautology, or close to it. But if by a detectable difference you mean
the existence of a difference between what the listener perceives in A,
on that occasion, and what she perceives in B, on that occasion, that
*could be* detected in some way or other, then it just doesn't follow.
Please see my post of Aug. 24, 8:09 pm, for fuller explanation.

Mark

Mark DeBellis

Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

[...]

I hadn't thought so, but for a counterexample to your claim please see
my post of Aug. 24, 8:09 pm.

If "sound the same" is read broadly enough to mean "has the same
perceptual effects," then it's not at all obvious why it *must* be
true, because, given that two signals are moment-by-moment
indistinguishable, it's not at all obvious why the effect of listening
to one for five minutes *must* be the same as the effect of listening
to the other for five minutes (including effects on subsequent
perception).

Simple really - it's because the listener could detect no difference.

Begs the question, which is what is the basis of the inference from (1)
the listener not detecting a difference in quick switching to (2) the
perceptual effects of 5-minute stretches being the same.

Mark

Mark DeBellis

Ed Seedhouse wrote:
On 5 Sep 2005 15:23:02 GMT, Chung wrote:

if a difference is not detected by the
listener, then the two sources *must* sound the same to the listener."

Surely it is clear that denying the above is logically identical
asserting the following:

"I cannot distinguish any difference between the sound of these two."
"Nevertheless these two sound different to me."

Which is to simultaneously believe two contradictory propositions.

It may look that way, but there is an ambiguity in "sound different"
that leads to confusion (about what the "objectivist" argument rests
on).

If the sources "sound different" in the sense that it seems to me that
they are different, that's one thing.

But sources can sound different in the sense that *how A sounds* may be
different from *how B sounds*, and *that* doesn't contradict the
proposition that I am unable to detect a difference.

In cases of time-distal comparison, one sometimes cannot reliably
detect a difference, though different things are perceived.

And if I can detect no difference in quick-switch testing, there is
surely no contradiction with the proposition that the perceptual effect
of 5 minutes of A is not the same as the perceptual effect of 5 minutes
of B; they are different experiential contexts.

Mark

Chung

[Moderator's note: OK you two, this subthread is dead. -- deb ]

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung

wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung

Well, Jenn, try to read what you said on August 27:

"Your paragraph would seem to indicate that if a listener hears no
differences under a specific set of conditions, then the listener will
hear no differences under any conditions."

You were clearly drawing the wrong conclusions, and you were disagreeing
with me when I said so.

Mark DeBellis

Chung wrote:

Excuse me, but you have been engaging others in this torturous
discussion for way too long, and I don't think I can help you here,
given that so many others have tried, and have proven unsuccessful.

This is one of the differences between the "camps"-- this sort of
discussion may be torture for you, but to me it is interesting and very
relevant. I'm enjoying Mark's posts. I get the feeling that rahe is for
you, a turf you would like to protect from claims of things you
disagree with. Since you have no control over what is posted here, and
since this discussion is torturous for you, it would seem that you
would be more satisfied if you disengaged from it.

At last, a subjectivist admits that it is they, and not the
objectivists, who are beating this dead horse.

I can only speak for myself, but I would be thrilled if this whole
debate would go away.

At last, an objectivist admits that it is they, and not the
subjectivists, who can't actually back up their view. (It has at least
as much truth as your parallel claim.)

I suspect that this "dead horse" has been around for at least as long
as posters on rahe have been concerned to debunk "audio myths."

Let the subjectivists have their "this is what it
sounds like to me" threads, and let the objectivists have their "see
the latest intellectual dishonesty from S-phile" threads, and just
leave each other alone. Sadly, it's the subjectivists who can't seem to
manage that. They've got to invent pseudoscientific conjectures
(DeBellis)

There's nothing pseudoscientific about pointing out what certain tests
do or don't test for, or asking how we know certain things on the basis
of the tests.

and equally pseudoscientific "models" (Mossey) to resolve
the cognitive dissonance of believing scientific fallacies about a
field that wouldn't exist except for science.

A dubious conjecture about the motivation for the inquiry.

Mark

Steven Sullivan

wrote:

[...]

I think it's important to note that, many's the time an *objectivist* does too.
The key distinction is that they don't necessarily conclude that it must be
due to a real audible difference between the gear.

--

-S
"God is an asshole!" -- Ruth Fisher, 'Six Feet Under'

Mark DeBellis

Chung wrote:
wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

I feel that my understanding of the issues has gained over the course
of the discussion, thanks in many ways to others' suggestions and
objections, so, at least for me, it has not been a waste of time at
all.

Mark

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Ed Seedhouse wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark,

I tend to agree with your last statement. I'm not sure how to phrase
this to match what you saying, but I understand that you are saying
there may be difficulties in knowing what one is hearing over an
extended time, or remembering this.

What do think about the possibility that people can come to know their
feelings about a piece of equipment through living with it? For
example, I just borrowed a cd player from a local dealer and listened
to it for a couple of days. At the end of that time, I wasn't sure I
could put a word on how it sounded, but I do know that I wasn't
enjoying it.

To develop this line of thought:

I've noticed that there are two situations where I feel clear about my
reaction to a piece of equipment. One is when I live with it for a
while. Another is when I've gotten used to device A (amp, cd player,
etc.) and then replace it with device B. I've noticed my very first
reaction often figures prominently in my overall impression of the
device later.

Practical blind testing requires generally opposing conditions to
these: you have to get through a number of trials, so unless you want
to spend the better part of a year doing the test, you can't live with
the equipment. And you can't just switch once between devices A & B:
doing a significant number of trials requires switching many times.
There's only one opportunity at the beginning to have that initial
reaction.

I find it fascinating that Zen Buddhism has some relevant
obvservations. Zen speaks of "beginner's mind," that special quality of
openness and lack of prejudice that one has naturally when approaching
an experience for the first time. Zen meditators spend their lives
attempting to cultivate that quality of openness.

Zen also speaks of "conceptualizing" experiences---taking a rich
experience that involves deep intution and right-brain processing, and
attempting to turn it into an intellectually graspable "left-brain"
idea.

Yesterday I was waiting for a light to change. Sometimes when I do
this, I look at the light in the cross direction, waiting for it to
turn yellow and then red, to give myself some warning about when my
light will turn green. In this case, I was at too much of an angle to
see the cross-direction light. I thought I might look for the glow of
light visible in the cylindrical shades, waiting to see a yellow glow.
However, the sun was setting and shining directly into the cylinders,
so nothing could be made out for certain.

Then in the space of a few seconds, something interesting happened. I
suddenly felt that I had seen a yellow glow. Right away my "left brain"
said, "let's check that, let's find the clear sign of a yellow glow."
And when this thought arose, I could no longer access this sense of the
yellow glow. I forgot what it looked like, and I had no idea how I had
noticed it. Just then my light turned green. So I had seen the
cross-light turn yellow, it appears.

But it was obvious that I wanted to conceptualize this experience--I
wanted to know *how* I had seen it, and I wanted some very concrete
data to check my experience, confirm it, and put it on a solid
analytical footing. It was obvious that this desire interfered with the
deeper and more spontaneous function that saw the yellow glow.

And this deeper function was an expression of beginner's mind. I had
never before tried to look for a yellow glow under these conditions.

I find it a compelling theory that the scientific study of aesthetics
conceptualizes it--in fact, *must* conceptualize it, in order to make
any objective claims--and in that way cannot study these more intuitive
functions.

A person who experiences *all* aesthetics through this conceptual
filter would naturally find the standard rahe objectivist model
appealing, because it would directly describe his experience.

Mike

Buster Mudd

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

And by "the kind of information that has to do with the longer-term
kind of memory" are you (once again) talking about Musical Content?

Because if so, that's *NOT* the "kind of information" that would allow
one to discern a perceptual equivalence between an SACD player and a CD
player...or between an SACD recording and a CD recording, for that
matter.

p.s. If a certain musical content can be heard through one piece of
gear but not another, surely that *is* a difference that is relevant to
audio, no? (What I have in mind here is, say, how clearly an inner
voice can be heard, and I think LP and CD do sometimes differ in that
respect.)

If an inner voice can be heard clearly via one source and is obscured
or masked via another, that sort of difference would be audible fairly
immediately, without resorting to "longer-term kind of memory".

Yes, I agree, but one thing at a time. It *is* a kind of information
that can be relevant to a difference between SACD and CD, which runs
counter to what you said above. And I don't see what ensures that
*all* information that depends on longer-term memory will be
discernible immediately; the fact that information about musical
content depends on longer-term memory doesn't imply that everything
that depends on longer-term memory is about musical content.

But you're just citing the inner voice obfuscation as an *example* of
an (hypothetical) audible difference between SACD & CD. The sonic
difference, if one exists, would not be restricted to just that one
particular musical passage, or even just to inner voices in general;
this is just a convenient way for you to identify & cite this
difference. But if that difference did exist, a little bit of
investigation & analysis of the spectral & temporal content of those
recordings & passages would allow us to qualify those differences in
ways that then would not rely on musical content to become perceptible.

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote in message
It would be interesting to learn on what basis listeners here decided to
own
the equipment they own and/or recently purchased. No brand names please,
but
$ spent might be of interest. How many here actually put their money
where
their mouths are? I seem to recall that during the much publicized
Stereophile debate, the participants bought bupkes, (or next to bupke

I stopped figure it out recently, and it wasn't too bad. My total outlay,
exclusive of software, was $1080. Most of this is used equipment, but it
includes 2 MD players, 2 cassette decks, and 2 CD cabinets (which turn out
to be the single most expensive items in the system :-)

Norm Strong

Why so cheap? It's because of an agreement I made with my wife and kids,
many years ago, in which my hobby would not cost more than theirs.

Norm Strong

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

[...]

Of course, it is really a stretch to say that a blind test, of the sort
which requires a person to switch between two sources many times, can
even establish, or even come close to establishing whether two sources
are moment-by-moment identical. The differences I care about are
right-brain and at a more subtle level than the conceptual level. One
must work on a conceptual level to perform the same operation over and
over.

To clarify, I think that the perception of right-brain differences is
more obvious in a "beginner's mind" state, in which one hears something
for the first time. They are also more obvious in living with a
component.

--
Michael "Differences which measure (key word: *measure*) down 100 dB
ARE

Stewart Pinkerton

Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

[...]

No. If you have something to say, then *quote* it. However, you appear
to have expended several thousand lines saying nothing up to this
point, so perhaps this is a lost cause.

If "sound the same" is read broadly enough to mean "has the same
perceptual effects," then it's not at all obvious why it *must* be
true, because, given that two signals are moment-by-moment
indistinguishable, it's not at all obvious why the effect of listening
to one for five minutes *must* be the same as the effect of listening
to the other for five minutes (including effects on subsequent
perception).

Simple really - it's because the listener could detect no difference.

Begs the question, which is what is the basis of the inference from (1)
the listener not detecting a difference in quick switching to (2) the
perceptual effects of 5-minute stretches being the same.

Irrelevant. No one is suggesting that the threshold of audibility is
the same in each case. What is being said is that if a difference is
not heard *in either case*, then *by definition* there is no audible
difference, regardless of the test conditions.

That's certainly not to say that a quick-switch test might not reveal
differences too subtle for a long-term test. Indeed, that is *exactly*
why quick-switch tests are preferred by the audio industry - they are
*proven* to be more sensitive, despite all the hand-waving about 'the
gestalt of the performance' that we hear from the subjectivists. BTW,
this 'gestalt' always seems to end up as a *sighted* comparison.....

Steven Sullivan

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

[...]

And how would you go about proving these claims, in such a way as
to strongly rule out other explanations?

--

-S

Harry Lavo

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:

[...]

Let's turn it around the other way....what work have you "objectivists" done
to be sure that quick-switch, short-snippet, comparative testing such as ABX
actually can capture the "right brain" experience and thus measure some of
the things that uniquely set musical listening and enjoyment apart from the
sound of white noise, codec artifacts, or telephone voice transmission.

Andy Katz

On 6 Sep 2005 23:25:10 GMT, wrote:

I stopped figure it out recently, and it wasn't too bad. My total outlay,
exclusive of software, was $1080. Most of this is used equipment, but it
includes 2 MD players, 2 cassette decks, and 2 CD cabinets (which turn out
to be the single most expensive items in the system :-)

Norm Strong

Why so cheap? It's because of an agreement I made with my wife and kids,
many years ago, in which my hobby would not cost more than theirs.

Same here ... at least until recently. That folks are mad for
multichannel means there's a lot of good stereo equipment out there at
reasonable prices.

Now I've gone a trifle overboard, new speakers, high-end headphones &
headphone amps ... maybe buying used is the equivalent of skin
popping?

Andy Katz