Posted to rec.audio.tech
NewsHound777 NewsHound777 is offline

Default Help needed with pushed in pin on Grado gold cartridge.

I used a little too much force connecting one of the headshell wire
clips onto one of the Grado Gold cartridges pins. Unfortunately, the
cartridge pin was pushed about four fifth's into the body of the
cartridge. I just managed to get the pliers around the protruding pin,
and when I pulled, the entire pin came out of the cartridge! I then
pushed the wire clasp from the headshell onto one end of the pin, before
I gently pushed the pin halfway back into the hole in the cartridge. Do
you think I should even attempt to play a record with the grado now? Is
there irrevocable damage done when a pin is pulled out and then inserted
back in the cartidge body hole?

Please advise. Thanks very, very much in advance.

Charlie
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

"NewsHound777" wrote in message
I used a little too much force connecting one of the headshell wire clips
onto one of the Grado Gold cartridges pins. Unfortunately, the cartridge
pin was pushed about four fifth's into the body of the cartridge. I just
managed to get the pliers around the protruding pin, and when I pulled, the
entire pin came out of the cartridge! I then pushed the wire clasp from the
headshell onto one end of the pin, before I gently pushed the pin halfway
back into the hole in the cartridge. Do you think I should even attempt to
play a record with the grado now? Is there irrevocable damage done when a
pin is pulled out and then inserted back in the cartidge body hole?

Please advise. Thanks very, very much in advance.

Charlie

If the wire to the inner coil is disconnected from the pin, you're probably
screwed.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"NewsHound777" wrote in message
I used a little too much force connecting one of the headshell wire
clips onto one of the Grado Gold cartridges pins. Unfortunately, the
cartridge pin was pushed about four fifth's into the body of the
cartridge. I just managed to get the pliers around the protruding pin,
and when I pulled, the entire pin came out of the cartridge! I then
pushed the wire clasp from the headshell onto one end of the pin, before
I gently pushed the pin halfway back into the hole in the cartridge. Do
you think I should even attempt to play a record with the grado now?

Sure, it won't damage anything further to see if it still works.
(I doubt it though) Most likely one channel now dead.

Is there irrevocable damage done when a pin is pulled out and then
inserted back in the cartidge body hole?

Probably, I imagine one of the coil wires is now broken. Impossible to
repair I should think.

MrT.