Ray Palagy

Default Just got M-Audio Firewire 410

Just got M-Audio Firewire 410. Just out of the box it is VERY nicely
made. All metal and solid feeling construction. Install in OS X was
painless and flawless and I love the output control right on the front
of the unit and the 2 headphone outs.

Haven't recorded yet but playback of my old material seems to sound
better than my older 16 bit I/O box.

Core Audio driver seems stable...I'lll post more as I use it.

Ray Palagy, NYC
LeBaron & Alrich

Ray Palagy wrote:

Just got M-Audio Firewire 410. Just out of the box it is VERY nicely
made. All metal and solid feeling construction. Install in OS X was
painless and flawless and I love the output control right on the front
of the unit and the 2 headphone outs.

Haven't recorded yet but playback of my old material seems to sound
better than my older 16 bit I/O box.

Core Audio driver seems stable...I'lll post more as I use it.

Cool, and thanks, Ray.

--
ha
Robert

Got one last week, haven't used it much, but so far sounds quite good
as output device for Reason, via ASIO on Windows, and recording mics
into cakewalk home studio 2004.

Only real gripe is a big clunk in the monitors when it powers up. But
for the money, I think it's a great deal.

Robert

(LeBaron & Alrich) wrote in message ...
Ray Palagy wrote:

Just got M-Audio Firewire 410. Just out of the box it is VERY nicely
made. All metal and solid feeling construction. Install in OS X was
painless and flawless and I love the output control right on the front
of the unit and the 2 headphone outs.

Haven't recorded yet but playback of my old material seems to sound
better than my older 16 bit I/O box.

Core Audio driver seems stable...I'lll post more as I use it.

Cool, and thanks, Ray.

LeBaron & Alrich

Robert wrote:

Got one last week, haven't used it much, but so far sounds quite good
as output device for Reason, via ASIO on Windows, and recording mics
into cakewalk home studio 2004.

Thanks. I';m not in the market for one but I have friends who are
looking for something like this.

Only real gripe is a big clunk in the monitors when it powers up. But
for the money, I think it's a great deal.

Lots of gear puts out a little (and sometimes not so little) pop when
powering up or down. Rule of elbow is turn the power amp on last and
turn the power amp off first. That's the way to protect your speakers.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
Mark

The bigger issue with this thing is that it requires that you NOT have ANY
other firewire devices in the chain with it. Big no no.... wait until they
write better drivers.

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message
.. .
Robert wrote:

Got one last week, haven't used it much, but so far sounds quite good
as output device for Reason, via ASIO on Windows, and recording mics
into cakewalk home studio 2004.

Thanks. I';m not in the market for one but I have friends who are
looking for something like this.

Only real gripe is a big clunk in the monitors when it powers up. But
for the money, I think it's a great deal.

Lots of gear puts out a little (and sometimes not so little) pop when
powering up or down. Rule of elbow is turn the power amp on last and
turn the power amp off first. That's the way to protect your speakers.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"

LeBaron & Alrich

Mark wrote:

The bigger issue with this thing is that it requires that you NOT have ANY
other firewire devices in the chain with it. Big no no.... wait until they
write better drivers.

Does it work with a FW hub?

--
ha
Ray Palagy

Default Just got M-Audio Firewire 410 MORE!

Well, here's a followup.

Even though it DOES work with a firewire, (obviously Oxford 911 is a
must) drive on the chain- there ARE headaches.

I realize that this is the second week it's out and the drivers (using
1.01) are still very new.

Here are the issues-

1. If you use it on a laptop (in my case - TiBook 867 with Jaguar) and
laptop goes to sleep - 95% of the time the OS (in my case - OS X
10.2.6) will "lose" the FW410 and you MUST restart. This is annoying.

2. If you try switching to SPDIF, the Mac sometimes loses the BOX -
REBOOT!

3. If you try switching sampling rates- you guessed it! - REBOOT!

4. If you power up or down a firewire drive (Mac OS formatted in
Jaguar)that is passed through the FW410 - you may lose the box from
the OS.

5. FW 410 WOULD NOT work on a 1999 G4 Sawtooth 450 with 10.2.6
installed. Ran install 3X!

Obviously, M-Audio has a bit of work to do with the drivers and I
still will say that WHEN IT DOES WORK - the box sounds great.

Ray P.
Chris Smalt

Ray wrote:

Here are the issues-

1. If you use it on a laptop (in my case - TiBook 867 with Jaguar) and
laptop goes to sleep - 95% of the time the OS (in my case - OS X
10.2.6) will "lose" the FW410 and you MUST restart.

2. If you try switching to SPDIF, the Mac sometimes loses the BOX -
REBOOT!

3. If you try switching sampling rates- you guessed it! - REBOOT!

4. If you power up or down a firewire drive (Mac OS formatted in
Jaguar)that is passed through the FW410 - you may lose the box from
the OS.

What if you just unplug and plug in again? BTW, the instructions for my
(USB) sound input device specifically tell you to set the energy saver
to never go to sleep.

Chris