Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Intelligence and RIAA

On May 20, 4:54 pm, "west" wrote:
True, there must be someone quite clever behind it... but I seriously
doubt that the persona we observe here is anything at all like that
actual individual. So, whereas I may not *like* you, I must respect
you. McCoy I neither like nor dislike as I do not believe there is an
actual "there" to deserve such efforts. Tweaking it is great fun,
however.

Somehow that paragraph seems internally inconsistent. If "Andre" is
nothing but a chimera as you believe, but as you say "there must be
someone quite clever behind it", then that person would be an
actual "there", deserving of either your like or dislike.

Regards,

John Byrns

Logic chopping. Your specialty.

I would like to believe that the entity behind "the real McCoy" is
having as much fun as I do, or at least one hopes so. The alternative
is too sad to contemplate... again leaving no room for "like" or
"dislike"... as the entity is simply not worth it.

If my contention is true, perhaps grudging admiration... but not
dislike. Dislike I reserve for those worthy of such efforts.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Did you forget the email you recently sent me saying how you truly hate me
and McCoy? Realizing that you are totally whipped and undressed for all to
see, you try to temper your loosing position. Now there's only 2 things I
don't like about you ... and that's your face.

UOOContempt

You poor, sad, benighted idiot. Neither you nor your idol are worth
the effort of hate. And let the record show that I have stated that
repeatedly. It is the behavior of a Timmee-in-training to make up
facts and opinions when the reality is unsatisfying for their wasted
needs. Contempt at best, hatred I reserve for those who actually
deserve it... and neither of you even distantly approach that
condition.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On May 18, 9:06 pm, "Henry Pasternack" wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in ooglegroups.com...
...silicon amps from c10W to 150W, either of my own design and
construction...

I'd be interested to see some pictures and schematics, and to hear
design details.

-Henry

Don't hold your breath.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

On May 20, 5:54 pm, "west" wrote:

Did you forget the email you recently sent me saying how you truly hate me
and McCoy? Realizing that you are totally whipped and undressed for all to
see, you try to temper your loosing position. Now there's only 2 things I
don't like about you ... and that's your face.

Perhaps the curious in the group might like to see your e-mail to me
together with my two replies....
Your note:

This is exactly the kind of garbage spewing that Iain so kindly asked
for you to stop. My skin is thick so you're only making yourself look
foolish. But you are most likely being sucessful at chasing away those
learned posters who shy away from this Ng because of ppl like you. So
many have already left as Mr. Churches aptly pointed out. Rodents are
missing a wealth of information because of it. Please clean up your
act. Try to control yourself. If you feel that you just have to get it
out of your system, perhaps you can send it via private email.

Cordially,
west
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches Iain Churches is offline

"Henry Pasternack" wrote in message
"John Byrns" wrote in message
You are making the wrong measurement, the relevant measurement for this
discussion is the input to the combination of the cutting amp and "RIAA"
equalizer vs. the amplitude, a.k.a. displacement, of the signal actually
cut into the grooves of the LP. I think that if you make this
measurement it will give you a different perspective on how LP records
actually work.

The train is leaving the station, Andre, Arny, Chris, Eiron, and Ian are
already on board, you wouldn't want to be left behind, you don't want to
have people thinking you have an incomplete knowledge of LP cutting. :-)

Hmmm. I guess I'll have to take the next train.

I agree that the shelf in the RIAA curve reduces HF groove amplitude by
about 12dB. On the other hand, there is nothing to prevent transcribing
discs with no cutting head equalization at all. The resulting discs could
be
played back flat with an unequalized phono preamplifier. Compared to a
flat system, equalization gives improved dynamic range and HF signal-to-
noise. This is precisely the purpose and definition of recording
"emphasis."

Hello Henry.

As I mentioned elsewhere this thread, I have the possibility
to cut such a lacquer in precisely the way you describe above,
with the record EQ switched flat. My colleagues in broadcast
seem mostly of the opinion that MM cartridge has a flat response,
and so replaying this disc with an inverter box in the chain to
cancel out the replay equalisation, will result in correct reproduction.

A benefit will also be the ability to cut a lot "hotter" without the
restriction of the rising HF curve in the recording. Total side
time will of course be greatly reduced as the LF will take up
more lateral.

Cordially,

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"John Byrns" wrote in message

The train is leaving the station, Andre, Arny, Chris, Eiron, and Ian are
already on board, you wouldn't want to be left behind, you don't want to
have people thinking you have an incomplete knowledge of LP cutting. :-)

Hello John

Pleasant company indeed. But maybe I will wait for the limo:-)
I wonder how many others here have actually cut
discs professionally as a part of their record industry training?
It is such a complex subject that no-one has a complete knowledge.

Several pros to whom I have spoken have mentioned think that
an MM pickup has a flat response, and so the LF lift and treble cut in
the RIAA replay curve is purely to cancel the equalisation imposed
by the record curve on cutting (the purpose of which is to reduce the
LF and thus the lateral modulation, and also to lift the HF which will
then be reduced taking surface noise down with it, on replay)
We plan to cut a disc with no RIAA record correction, and replay it
with no RIAA replay correction.

This is easily done, because most cutting amps have a built-in reverse
network which is switched in for alignment. You then set the EQ
for a flat response. If you leave the network inserted, you get a flat
record characteristic. It should be possible to cut a brighter but
somewhat shorter side than is normally possible.

regards
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article i,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message

[...]

Ah, but the crux of the matter is how you define "a flat record
characteristic", it all depends on your Point Of View and whether you
are talking flat velocity, or flat amplitude response. Obviously you
are talking flat velocity response. Having worked as a professional in
a phonograph factory making phonographs that audiophiles would look down
their noses at, I find the amplitude centric view more useful. Both
views are equally valid, the problem is that people, like the "pros" you
have spoken to, speak of "flat" response without making clear their
frame of reference. While one can reasonably assume that a recording
"pro" is talking about velocity response, things can get a we bit
confusing when they start talking about "amplitude" when what they
really mean is the magnitude of the velocity.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
west[_4_] west[_4_] is offline

How can you be such an ASS and say that amplitude and frequency are
analogous? You have to be a total clueless idiot to even think along those
lines. Perhaps you were better off with Heath-Kits.

west

"Eeyore" wrote in message

John Byrns wrote:

Peter Wieck wrote:
John:

Whoops: http://www.graniteaudio.com/phono/page5.html

should get you there.

For the record: Whatever positions and suppositions you may take, and
from whatever point of view, whichever cutting head and system, the
actual subject-at-hand is the *present* RIAA Curve as practiced each
day. This is presumably a fixed value both on recording and playback.

That curve is at the bottom of the article. The Bass Boost and the
Treble Cut on playback cross the Bass Cut and Treble Boost on
recording at ~1.2Khz.... not quite what you are writing.

References are at the bottom of the article.

Peter, this article assumes that a "magnetic" pickup is being used to
reproduce the LP. "Magnetic" pickups do not respond directly to the
amplitude of the signal recorded in the LP's grooves and requires
compensation.

Let me attempt to explain, I'm going to assume that you have some
knowledge of math and know what differentiation is.

Why makes it so complicated ?

The magnetic pickup responds not just to the amplitude of the signal in

the
groove but it's rate of change too.

So a signal of the same amplitude on the disc at say 2kHz will produce a

voltage
at the pickup that's twice what it would be at 1kHz.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

In article .com,
Peter Wieck wrote:
On May 20, 5:54 pm, "west" wrote:

Did you forget the email you recently sent me saying how you truly
hate me and McCoy? Realizing that you are totally whipped and
undressed for all to see, you try to temper your loosing position. Now
there's only 2 things I don't like about you ... and that's your face.

Perhaps the curious in the group might like to see your e-mail to me
together with my two replies....
Your note:

This is exactly the kind of garbage spewing that Iain so kindly asked
for you to stop. My skin is thick so you're only making yourself look
foolish. But you are most likely being sucessful at chasing away those
learned posters who shy away from this Ng because of ppl like you. So
many have already left as Mr. Churches aptly pointed out. Rodents are
missing a wealth of information because of it.

It's a theme Iain Churches likes to propagate. I've not seen any
indication of it, though. This wealth of talent waiting in the sidelines
for better behavoir.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

west wrote:

How can you be such an ASS and say that amplitude and frequency are
analogous?

Jeez.

How can you be so stupid as to think that's what I said.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Poopie said:

How can you be such an ASS and say that amplitude and frequency are
analogous?

How can you be so stupid as to think that's what I said.

To be fair, Poopie, you do say a lot of stupid things.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Ian Bell Ian Bell is offline

west wrote:

How can you be such an ASS and say that amplitude and frequency are
analogous? You have to be a total clueless idiot to even think along those
lines. Perhaps you were better off with Heath-Kits.

He didn't. Read it again.

Ian