Mister.Lull

Bob, I think you're missing the point... I think what's being said is
that if you need to charge $50.00/hour just to cover expenses, then a
'customer' like yourself comes in and demands that you work on his
product for half that; the answer is no. If those are your expenses,
then only an unreasonable amount of volume could possibly make up for
doing the work at half price. You are the picture-perfect definition
of a troll.

~Mister.Lull

Scott Gardner

On 23 Jun 2005 13:45:59 -0700, "Mister.Lull"
wrote:

Bob, I think you're missing the point... I think what's being said is
that if you need to charge $50.00/hour just to cover expenses, then a
'customer' like yourself comes in and demands that you work on his
product for half that; the answer is no. If those are your expenses,
then only an unreasonable amount of volume could possibly make up for
doing the work at half price. You are the picture-perfect definition
of a troll.

~Mister.Lull

Good point. These repair shop owners aren't buying second homes in
the French Riviera with the money they make charging $50-$60 per hour.
The reason why that's the going rate most places you look is that the
owners have figured out that's what they have to charge to cover all
of their expenses and make a fair profit. If there were a whole lot
of extra profit at that price rate, we'd see price wars with some
shops charging a lot less to try to win away customers.

--
Scott Gardner

"Tis an ill wind that blows no minds."

Chad Wahls

Remember when I said I worked on higher end gear that was worth fixing?
Not only is it your job as a customer to determine if it is worth
repairing but a competent tech will tell you right off that there's no
sense in going ahead with the repair, it's good practices.

As for the $0 an hour, don't fret. Things will keep breaking and people
will still buy non-bottom-feeder gear.

Chad

Chris Mullins

i'm not so sure $25 IS better than $0. if he's packed with business, the
time he takes having to listen to your 3rd grade reasoning, added to fact
that your business interrupts the other items he has to fix, it might be
more profitable for him to not even let you enter the door.

If its 3/4 of the way through a work day(say 6 hours down 2 to go) and he's
had no business and you come in with your haggling it would be cheaper to
turn you away.

let the tech go means at least a conservative $15/hr = $30. so this means
that by staying and dealing with you he's going to lose $5(and work for free
if he's not the tech). the only thing more valuable than money, is time and
dealing with an IDOT takes a lot of time. I mean look at the length of this
thread so far.

Chad Wahls" wrote in message
oups.com...
Remember when I said I worked on higher end gear that was worth fixing?
Not only is it your job as a customer to determine if it is worth
repairing but a competent tech will tell you right off that there's no
sense in going ahead with the repair, it's good practices.

As for the $0 an hour, don't fret. Things will keep breaking and people
will still buy non-bottom-feeder gear.

Chad

MZ

i'm not so sure $25 IS better than $0. if he's packed with business, the
time he takes having to listen to your 3rd grade reasoning, added to fact
that your business interrupts the other items he has to fix, it might be
more profitable for him to not even let you enter the door.

Not only that, but this jackass will go out and tell all his friends (both
of them) that he got a lower rate, so everyone will be asking for one.
Besides, half the time when people demand a lower rate and are refused,
they'll come back later and pay full rate anyway.

bob wald

ok.. if you rich people making $50 an hour.
why are you here? plus why arent you all driving jags n hummers with
$4000+ worth of equipment?

bob wald

no you cant give every1 fair prices just afew amonth. and if you turn me
down ill tell others not to go to you. youre over priced....
you gota give to get.
remember most peole coming to you aint making $10 an hour.
you think hes going to work hard 5 hours to pay you for 1hour????lol
i'm in the southern part of the country....
and i know if i tell every1 to get a deal with you my deal is gone. dont
be stupid....

MZ

ok.. if you rich people making $50 an hour.
why are you here?

I didn't realize this was a newsgroup for unemployed people only.

plus why arent you all driving jags n hummers with
$4000+ worth of equipment?

Have you ignored all the posts on this subject? Do you honestly think that
every $50 they make goes in their pockets?

MZ

no you cant give every1 fair prices just afew amonth. and if you turn me
down ill tell others not to go to you. youre over priced....

Please explain how someone can be overpriced by selling goods or services
for the going rate.

you gota give to get.
remember most peole coming to you aint making $10 an hour.

What makes you say that? People making more than $10/hr don't buy
amplifiers?

you think hes going to work hard 5 hours to pay you for 1hour????lol
i'm in the southern part of the country....

Figures...

bob wald

i see you cant read. i said ''most'' people.
the key word is most......
i think most untrained or trained in less than 4weeks of all working
people are making over $25 hr.i think most people working -at
ford-gm-case tractor-dodge-kenworth trucks.etc plus other assembly lines
dont make $25+ an hour.
but you guys are trained professionals.....

Chad Wahls

"bob wald" wrote in message
no you cant give every1 fair prices just afew amonth. and if you turn me
down ill tell others not to go to you. youre over priced....
you gota give to get.
remember most peole coming to you aint making $10 an hour.
you think hes going to work hard 5 hours to pay you for 1hour????lol
i'm in the southern part of the country....
and i know if i tell every1 to get a deal with you my deal is gone. dont
be stupid....

Ahhh now I get it, you think the labor rate should be what the consumer
makes per hour.

Hmmmm.

Btw there has been many occasions I have worked on a piece for over 5 hours
and charged for 2. Why? Because I got stumped and realized I was going at
it wrong. The repair should have taken 2 hours, I billed for 2 hours...
Another business loss.

Chad

MZ

i see you cant read. i said ''most'' people.
the key word is most......
i think most untrained or trained in less than 4weeks of all working
people are making over $25 hr.i think most people working -at
ford-gm-case tractor-dodge-kenworth trucks.etc plus other assembly lines
dont make $25+ an hour.
but you guys are trained professionals.....

What the hell are you talking about? You think most untrained people make
over $25/hour? What makes you say that? And what does that have to do with
anything I asked?

Christopher O'Callaghan

I have a diploma in electronic engineering. I'll probably be able to fix it
mself if its easy enough to see what the problem is... Anyone willing to
give me a few pointers on where to start?? What should I check first?

"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote in message
So............ after all those replies, still no help in my situation at
all.... Is my amp fuct? is it repairable? how much am I looking at? I am
an engineer, would it be easy enough to pin point the problem??

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
.. .
Vivek Kapoor wrote:
It seems the only good thing left in this thread is Scott Gardner's
one liners. Keep it coming.

ROFLMAO ... thanks for the heads up, and here I was just reading the
replies :-)

--
Dan Snooks

bob wald

lol...i can tell you dont make jack.....a hummer or jag aint nothing to
any1 making $ 50 an hour.
$50x30hrs=$1500 aweek......x48weeks=$72000 ayr.

bob wald

lolll..hahahAHAHa...unless you paying off ya $250,000 home you got money
for hummers.
$50 an hour is a LOT of money.....i would kill you dead for a job for
just 1yr making $50 an hour.

MZ

$72k a year isn't really that much if you've got a family to support, a
mortgage to pay, kids to put through school, and a future to save for. Now,
if your spouse is also pulling in $72k a year, that's another story...

And to address your other post, no a $250k house isn't very expensive in
many parts of the country. I know you said you're from the south, so that
would be like a mansion down there. But in places like Massachusetts, Rhode
Island, parts of New Hampshire, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York,
California and several other states, $250k will buy you a shack. I know
people who bought houses 15 years ago in Massachusetts and Rhode Island for
under $200k, and without putting much work into them they're now selling for
close to half a million. The housing market has gone crazy there.

But none of this is relevant anyway, because the shop owner who is charging
you $50 an hour for service ISN'T MAKING $50/HR. This has been pointed out
to you numerous times, yet you continue to ignore it. Do you think running
a business is free?

I suspect that when you get out of high school you'll start to see how the
real world works. The fantasy land you live in will implode once you start
a family or move out of Backwater, Mississippi.

"bob wald" wrote in message
lol...i can tell you dont make jack.....a hummer or jag aint nothing to
any1 making $ 50 an hour.
$50x30hrs=$1500 aweek......x48weeks=$72000 ayr.

Scott Gardner

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:17:58 -0500, (bob wald)
wrote:

lol...i can tell you dont make jack.....a hummer or jag aint nothing to
any1 making $ 50 an hour.
$50x30hrs=$1500 aweek......x48weeks=$72000 ayr.

Well, I'm an officer in the US Navy, and my pay is a matter of public
record, so I don't mind telling you. I make about $97,000 a year
before taxes, but $18,000 a year of that isn't taxable, so that means
I have about the same take-home pay after taxes as a civilian that
makes $105,000/yr and pays taxes on the whole amount.

So, I have a pretty good idea of what kind of a lifestyle you can
afford on $100,000/yr, or $72,000 a year, since that's about what I
was making a few years ago.

Now, back to your numbers:

Let's ignore all the business expenses and assume that the $72,000 is
the person's pre-tax pay for the year. After taxes, that could easily
be reduced to $50,000. Throw in things like a mortgage, home
maintenance, medical and vehicle insurance, kids, retirement savings
and investments, and that gets eaten up pretty quickly.

The MSRP of a Hummer is about $50,000, and you're not going to be able
to get one for much less. Any financial advisor will tell you that
spending the equivalent of a year's after-tax income on a vehicle
isn't financially responsible.

As as matter of fact, the general guideline is that you shouldn't
spend more than 10% of your gross income each month on vehicle-related
expenses (car payment, gas, insurance, maintenance, etcetera). If
your pre-tax pay is $72k a year, that's gives you about $600 a month
for all your vehicle-related expenses. Insurance alone on a new
Hummer will easily be $100 a month, so that leaves you $500 a month
for car payment, gas, and maintenance.

Let's ignore maintenance costs and be conservative with the gas, say
13 MPG and only 12,000 miles per year. At $2/gallon for gas, that's
about another $150 a month. So, even ignoring routine maintenance,
you're left with about $350/month for the car payment.

Now, let's look at the car payments for the Hummer. Assuming you put
20% down ($10,000), how much will car payments be to pay off the other
$40,000? Even if you get an interest rate of 1%, and spread the
payments out over 7 years, that still gives you a monthly payment of
about $570 a month, which is over $200 more than what's left in your
budget.

Notice that I'm also ignoring the $3000 or so that you're going to
have to pay for sales tax on a $50,000 car.

Plus, since you're spreading the payments over seven years, you'll end
up spending almost $60,000 before the car's paid off.

And God help you if you don't put down a hefty down payment. To
finance the entire $50,000 over seven years at 1% interest gives you a
monthly car payment of $715.

$50/hour isn't as much money as it sounds, I promise you. A family
can live comfortably on that much in *most* parts of the country, but
they're not going to be eating steak and caviar in their second home
in the Hamptons, either.
--
Scott Gardner

"Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history....But Hawkeye bubbas write the scripts."

Scott Gardner

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:20:58 -0500, (bob wald)
wrote:

lolll..hahahAHAHa...unless you paying off ya $250,000 home you got money
for hummers.
$50 an hour is a LOT of money.....i would kill you dead for a job for
just 1yr making $50 an hour.

I know you probably picked the "$250,000 home" out of thin air because
it sounded like a lot of money, but again, it's not. Unless you live
out in the sticks, $250,000 is about what it costs in many areas of
the country to get into a family-sized house that isn't in a bad
neighborhood or need repairs. The way the housing market has boomed
in the last few years, many cities are even more expensive than that.

But back to income:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, a household income of $75,000
places you in the 74th percentile of American households.

That means that out of every hundred families in the U.S., 26 of them
make MORE than $75,000 per year. That's right - more than a quarter
of the households in the U.S. make more than $75,000 a year. That
must blow your mind, I'm sure

With that many people making that amount of money, why aren't more
people driving new Hummers, Corvettes, and other expensive cars? It's
because they've discovered through experience that $75,000 a year or
even more doesn't necessarily support that kind of lifestyle, unless
they're not saving anything for the future, don't have kids, or live
out in the boondocks where the housing costs are lower.

--
Scott Gardner

"I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either". - Jack Benny

bob wald

ok......first i am grown next i am a finance/tax expert thats my job.
next if you have expenses at your job that lowers your taxes. i thought
most of you work for yourself out of a lil shop or garage.
with lil expenses.
next if you make $50 an hr you might take home $40 an hour. with alil
deductions.
next a $250000 or any house you can buy 15% cheaper than list price.
your car is 10% of your pay. that was funny.
i will pay whatever i have to for cars/gas/ins/maintaince. not to be
walking.
i think around 15% is average.to 22%.
a person here making 2k pays around $400 amonth just his car note on a
lexus/infinity.

bob wald

look o $72000 a yr your car allowance minium a month is like $700.

MZ

ok......first i am grown next i am a finance/tax expert thats my job.
next if you have expenses at your job that lowers your taxes. i thought
most of you work for yourself out of a lil shop or garage.
with lil expenses.

You didn't read Chad's post? He listed for you specifically what his
expenses are.

next if you make $50 an hr you might take home $40 an hour. with alil
deductions.
next a $250000 or any house you can buy 15% cheaper than list price.

Huh?

your car is 10% of your pay. that was funny.
i will pay whatever i have to for cars/gas/ins/maintaince. not to be
walking.

So the choice is Hummer, Lexus, or walk?

i think around 15% is average.to 22%.
a person here making 2k pays around $400 amonth just his car note on a
lexus/infinity.

bob wald

no any well running car is ok. my intrepid suits me now.
you can buy houses cheaper than list price.

bob wald

i believe 50x40=$2000 awk, $100000 a yr. so i already took out for
taxes/stuff.
hes ot smart enough to see $50 hr. equals more than $72000 ayr. $72000
is after taves.doof! ok homer?

bob wald

listen you all are embarrassing yourselfs..with your math skills..please
stop.my drink almost shot out my nose from all the laughing i'm doing
while reading your posts......
And you want $50 an hours!! lol
if i were you id be happy with $7 an hour.

Scott Gardner

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 07:50:37 -0500, (bob wald)
wrote:

ok......first i am grown next i am a finance/tax expert thats my job.

What exactly is your job? I've never met a "finance/tax expert"
that:

1) Has a WebTv account with an e-mail address that sounds like a
singles ad. (What, no computer at your house, or do you just prefer
to use WebTv?)

2) Thinks $72,000 a year is a lot of money, when more than 26% of
American households make more than that.

3) Thinks $250,000 for a house is expensive, when almost half of the
houses sold the U.S. sell for more than that, even after the buyers
have bargained down the price when able.

4) Evidently can't be bothered with spelling, capitalization, or
sentence structure in their posts.

5) Actually thinks it's normal to to make $2,000 a month and spend
$400 of it on a car note alone. If any of your clients told you that,
you should have smacked them in the head.

So, exactly what kind of a "finance/tax expert" ARE you? CPA, tax
lawyer, financial planner, manager of a currency arbitrage account? I
can't wait to hear.

next if you have expenses at your job that lowers your taxes. i thought
most of you work for yourself out of a lil shop or garage.
with lil expenses.
next if you make $50 an hr you might take home $40 an hour. with alil
deductions.
next a $250000 or any house you can buy 15% cheaper than list price.
your car is 10% of your pay. that was funny.
i will pay whatever i have to for cars/gas/ins/maintaince. not to be
walking.
i think around 15% is average.to 22%.
a person here making 2k pays around $400 amonth just his car note on a
lexus/infinity.

--
Scott Gardner

"Question _your own_ authority."

scott johnson

"bob wald" wrote in message
listen you all are embarrassing yourselfs..with your math skills..please
stop.my drink almost shot out my nose from all the laughing i'm doing
while reading your posts......
And you want $50 an hours!! lol
if i were you id be happy with $7 an hour.

Anyone who's been to college would have better spelling and puntuation
skills than what you are using. I would bet you make $6/hr and work in fast
food.

MZ

(Scott, fix your clock!)

MZ

listen you all are embarrassing yourselfs..with your math skills..

You're the one that came up with the $72k number, genius.

MZ

Anyone who's been to college would have better spelling and puntuation
skills than what you are using.

I think you would be surprised, actually...

Scott Gardner

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:27:06 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

listen you all are embarrassing yourselfs..with your math skills..

You're the one that came up with the $72k number, genius.

Yep, and here's his original post, with the math spelled out:

"lol...i can tell you dont make jack.....a hummer or jag aint nothing
to any1 making $ 50 an hour. $50x30hrs=$1500
aweek......x48weeks=$72000 ayr. "

Now that we've explained to him that $72,000 annual gross income isn't
very much, and that it's financially irresponsible to buy a new Hummer
on that kind of income, he's changing his tune and claiming that the
$72,000 is net take-home pay after all expenses and taxes.

Dance, monkey, Dance!!

--
Scott Gardner

"You don't need to fire the rig foreman that just blew the top off the wellhead, cause you know for damned sure he'll never do it again." (Ron Gardner)

MZ

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
news
Yep, and here's his original post, with the math spelled out:

"lol...i can tell you dont make jack.....a hummer or jag aint nothing
to any1 making $ 50 an hour. $50x30hrs=$1500
aweek......x48weeks=$72000 ayr. "

Now that we've explained to him that $72,000 annual gross income isn't
very much, and that it's financially irresponsible to buy a new Hummer
on that kind of income, he's changing his tune and claiming that the
$72,000 is net take-home pay after all expenses and taxes.

Dance, monkey, Dance!!

Frankly, at this point I'm embarassed to be picking on him. It's like
criticizing Stephen Hawking for not being able to walk.

Scott Gardner

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:42:00 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
news
Yep, and here's his original post, with the math spelled out:

"lol...i can tell you dont make jack.....a hummer or jag aint nothing
to any1 making $ 50 an hour. $50x30hrs=$1500
aweek......x48weeks=$72000 ayr. "

Now that we've explained to him that $72,000 annual gross income isn't
very much, and that it's financially irresponsible to buy a new Hummer
on that kind of income, he's changing his tune and claiming that the
$72,000 is net take-home pay after all expenses and taxes.

Dance, monkey, Dance!!

Frankly, at this point I'm embarassed to be picking on him. It's like
criticizing Stephen Hawking for not being able to walk.

I was thinking the same thing. Looking at his posts in a lot of other
newsgroups, he'll start a new thread making some inflammatory
statement and wait for comments.

Surprisingly, most of the other groups ignore him, so the only post in
the thread is just his original one.

I guess we have to accept responsiblity for feeding the troll.
--
Scott Gardner

"Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet air intakes."

scott johnson

"MZ" wrote in message
(Scott, fix your clock!)

"scott johnson" (net) wrote in message

Thanks. Bill Gates screwed up again!

bob wald

yes i came up with 72k for making $50hr. so you shoulda been able to see
i deducted for taxes etc. but these experts started deducting taxes from
72k..loll..HahahaAHAHAHa....

bob wald

look thats why i used just 30hrs.. to take off 25% taxes etc.. geezzz
and i didnt count any over time.
youll make 3-5k on the side too. i didnt count that. $72000 is your take
home after all taxes n cost....at $50 an hour.

bob wald

i talk about things other men fear and i teach.
here i am teaching..but some of you cant take the truth! lol

2 Motu 896s and sync probs Dave Walsh Pro Audio 2 January 4th 05 02:24 AM
Microcassette probs reqluq Pro Audio 1 June 22nd 04 04:06 PM
Impedance Probs Coyoteboy Tech 20 January 30th 04 07:06 PM
probs w/ audiobahn amp schwinn Car Audio 1 September 28th 03 07:39 AM
FA: Altec tube mic and Urei 1176, 3 days left Brian Birge Tech 1 August 7th 03 09:02 PM