tim

Default bose for car audio

sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose, seeing i
didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available to the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

Onyi C. Ejiasa

Based on the online store @ bose.com, I would say the automotive side of the
company deals only with factory installed systems, not end-user component
sales.

Onyi C. Ejiasa
BlaQmail.com - Empower your e-mail.
Vote for my install @ sounddomain.com!
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/blaqaltima

"tim" wrote in message
sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose, seeing i
didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available to the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

Tony Fernandes

I don't believe they are available for general sale. According to someone I
spoke with at Bose a few years ago, they do not manufacture car audio
products for the public...only directly to the car manufacturer for their
integrated systems. Also, it should be noted that all the Bose components
in my 2001 Maxima are made by Clarion.

And, in my opinion, you can achieve MUCH better sound by buying aftermarket
products.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"tim" wrote in message
sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose, seeing i
didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available to the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Maybe he likes them BECAUSE they don't have tweeters.

Yeah, high frequencies are way overrated!

Paul Vina

ink.net...

"tim" wrote in message
sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was

pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose, seeing

didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available to

the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

Paul Vina

Who are you to tell him what he likes and dislikes? Maybe that's why people
on this forum wouldn't wipe their ass with your opinion.

Paul Vina

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Maybe he likes them BECAUSE they don't have tweeters.

Yeah, high frequencies are way overrated!

Paul Vina

ink.net...

"tim" wrote in message
sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was

pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose,

seeing
didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available

the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"tim" wrote:

sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose, seeing i
didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available to the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

They're option kits for dealerships. I wouldn't call anything Bose
good, but it's less crappy than the $20 systems that come in most cars.

Bose is just a marketing gimmick. There's no real technology, value, or
quality in their equipment. The idea is that you'll hear how superior
their $5000 system is to a $129 system, and then you'll buy the Bose.
Their only art is in carefully crafted false dichotomy product demos and
well written advertising.
Scott Gardner

Pretty much the sole reason for Bose's success is that they have a
marketing department that is second-to-none. I'll use their home
speakers as an example.

If a consumer isn't big into home stereo and doesn't subscribe to any
of the high-end home stereo magazines, there are many high-end speaker
manufacturers that he's likely never heard of. Magnepan, Quad, Bowers
& Wilkins, Klipsch, Tannoy, Martin Logan, etcetera, etcetera. On the
other hand, anyone that gets the Sunday newspaper has heard of Bose,
because they usually have a full-page color ad in the PARADE section
for either their Wave Radio or one of their Lifestyle systems.

The same holds true for walk-in customers. To find any of the brands
I listed above, you generally have to go to a stand-alone "boutique"
stereo store. Meanwhile, the local mall where I live has a Bose store
in it. Also, as you've already noticed, many cars have Bose stereos
as factory- or dealer-installed optional equipment. The net result of
this is that almost *everyone* has heard of Bose, whereas the very
existence of many high-end speaker manufacturers is a mystery to most
people.

Now let's talk about sound quality. If you line up every home speaker
made on Earth, from the crappiest flea-market special to the
best-sounding speakers in the world, I think Bose falls out slightly
above average, and better than a lot of the consumer-grade stuff out
there.

So, they have an awesome marketing campaign, and speakers that sound
better than some of the more-common brands out there. Combine these
two facts, and this means that for a LOT of people, Bose is the first
(and often only) "good" speaker they've ever heard. It helps that the
Bose displays in stores are always excellent - the Bose representative
makes sure of that, often to the detriment of other brands.

So while there are a lot of speakers that sound better for the same,
or even less, money, the fact is that most people have no idea the
higher-end manufacturers even exist.

Scott Gardner

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:16:16 -0500, "tim"
wrote:

sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose, seeing i
didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available to the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Who are you to tell him what he likes and dislikes? Maybe that's why

people
on this forum wouldn't wipe their ass with your opinion.

Yeah, people around here seem to have a problem with the truth. They don't
like to hear it for some reason, but I could care less. I'm going to lay it
down like it is, **** em if they don't like it. Too bad.

Bose sucks, face it. The guy can do far better for far less money.

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Who are you to tell him what he likes and dislikes? Maybe that's why

people
on this forum wouldn't wipe their ass with your opinion.

You must be a Bose fan! Please tell me why you love Bose so much.

Pug Fugley

Let us not forget the fact that Bose does NOT allow dealers the ability to
be able to A/B their speakers with any other brand. The Bose is off in it's
own room with nothing else around so you cannot get a good objective of how
they compare with other speakers. This gives the illusion that Bose is
'magical' or something..I don't know why people fall for it exactly, I just
feel sorry for them.

Pull the drivers out of a Bose system. Cheap paper cone spekaers that cost
$2. No tweeters. Tiny voice coils. Paper surround. Junk.

wrote:

sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose, seeing i
didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available to the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

Eddie Runner

Bose has been doing factory systems for GM, HONDA,
MAZDA and more for years now ..decades even...
For a factory system they do a fairly decent job, they
have had some problems over the years but current OEM
systems are decent.....

Bose doesnt currently make anything for the car that is not
factory installed...

They dabbled in the aftermarket back about
1980 with some interesting products, including amplifiers with
adjustable equalizers built right on the front which were designed
to be mounted UNDERDASH (kinda large plate type amp)
where the driver could play with it
and some speakers with large grills with turnable and adjustable
reflectors build right on the front.... Pretty interesting for the days
of beginning high end car audio.....

So right now the only Bose for the car is from the factory.
It is good, but quite frankly its not that hard to get better sound
with decent aftermarket stereo gear...

Good luck
Eddie Runner

tim wrote:

sat in my pal's '03 grand-am today and noticed the soundsystem was pretty
good. even more surprised the speakers were courtesy of Bose, seeing i
didn't know they were in the car audio market. are they available to the
general public or are they exclusive for certain car companies?

thanks.

tim

Eddie Runner

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

There's no real technology, value, or
quality in their equipment.

Please do a lookup on AMAR BOSE!
There is plenty of REAL TECHNOLOGY as well as a philosophy
that is deserving of some respect...

Agreed they have a huge marketing scheme that is far overshadowing
the actual technical aspects with piles and piles of bull****....

I hate to
see the real technology missed because some of you guys
assume the bull**** you hear from the marketing dept is all there is to
it .....

Certainly NOT my favorite sounding stuff, but from a scientific
or speaker building point of view, quite interesting and deserving
of some respect none the less....

Eddie Runner

Paul Vina

Bose sucks, face it. The guy can do far better for far less money.

It may be overpriced, but if that's the sound he's after you can't really
put a price on that.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

You must be a Bose fan! Please tell me why you love Bose so much.

I don't. Personally I think their systems are too boomy. But more that that
I just think you're an idiot.

Paul Vina

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
You must be a Bose fan! Please tell me why you love Bose so much.

I don't. Personally I think their systems are too boomy. But more that

that
I just think you're an idiot.

Well, it really doesn't matter what you think. Nobody really cares.

Pug Fugley

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

There's no real technology, value, or
quality in their equipment.

Please do a lookup on AMAR BOSE!
There is plenty of REAL TECHNOLOGY as well as a philosophy
that is deserving of some respect...

No, not really. It's just marketing. It's one of those things you learn once
you are on the 'inside' of the audio industry.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Bose sucks, face it. The guy can do far better for far less money.

It may be overpriced, but if that's the sound he's after you can't really
put a price on that.

Question is..why would anyone want that sound?

Once you hear a system that sounds twice as good that costs half as much,
why would you want Bose? You really should broaden your horizons, Paul.
Close the magazine, quit reading the ads, stop listening to Paul Harvey, and
go out and do some listening on your own. You'd be surprised how bad Bose
really is.

Eddie Runner

*INSIDE* ???

Are you implying Im not on the INSIDE of the audio
industry..??? Dont be a PUTZ, I was prolly a PRO
speaker tech before you were born....!!

being INSIDE doesnt actually mean anything either in
relation to predjudices... In the industry its common for a
store that didnt carry BOSE to use the saying
*no highs, no lows, it must be bose*
But we all know stores always knock what they dont sell...

As for the marketing, I have been workin on Bose stuff WAY
before they had all this WAVE RADIO marketing crap....

writen by Bose, or the reasearch he did at MIT, or the sound
philosphys behind the reflected sounds some of his speakers
produce... Go back before the marketing bull**** and look
at his REAL research and experements... Bose the man, with
the mans ideas and research not todays corporate multimillion
dollar marketing machine....

It does deserve some respect...
But of course there are always some that will not see....

Eddie Runner

Pug Fugley wrote:

Please do a lookup on AMAR BOSE!
There is plenty of REAL TECHNOLOGY as well as a philosophy
that is deserving of some respect...

No, not really. It's just marketing. It's one of those things you learn once
you are on the 'inside' of the audio industry.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Pug Fugley

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
*INSIDE* ???

Are you implying Im not on the INSIDE of the audio
industry..???

No, just didn't know. Didn't mean to offend you. Figured you would have
known about Bose if you were on the inside.

Dont be a PUTZ, I was prolly a PRO
speaker tech before you were born....!!

Are you really that old?

being INSIDE doesnt actually mean anything either in
relation to predjudices... In the industry its common for a
store that didnt carry BOSE to use the saying
*no highs, no lows, it must be bose*
But we all know stores always knock what they dont sell...

Actually, that saying didn't come from the stores. It came from audio
engineers like myself who know how Bose speakers are actually made. See,
when you spend your life surrounded by top notch audio equipment, then go
hear some **** like Bose you just don't understand why people buy them.

As for the marketing, I have been workin on Bose stuff WAY
before they had all this WAVE RADIO marketing crap....

writen by Bose, or the reasearch he did at MIT, or the sound
philosphys behind the reflected sounds some of his speakers
produce... Go back before the marketing bull**** and look
at his REAL research and experements... Bose the man, with
the mans ideas and research not todays corporate multimillion
dollar marketing machine....

It does deserve some respect...
But of course there are always some that will not see....

Sounds like you work for Amar. How sad for you.

Eddie Runner

Why are you so opposed to science and so prone to
insulting folks that dont agree with your narrow opinion..??

Pug Fugley wrote:

Sounds like you work for Amar. How sad for you.

Are you new here???
I thought just about everyone here knoew who I was already...
If your new see this web page
http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/newbie.htm

John Dziurlaj

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message link.net...
"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Who are you to tell him what he likes and dislikes? Maybe that's why

people
on this forum wouldn't wipe their ass with your opinion.

Yeah, people around here seem to have a problem with the truth. They don't
like to hear it for some reason, but I could care less. I'm going to lay it
down like it is, **** em if they don't like it. Too bad.

You preach it 'brotha!
Paul Vina

It may be overpriced, but if that's the sound he's after you can't

really
put a price on that.

Question is..why would anyone want that sound?

Maybe because he likes it?? Just because you don't doesn't mean no one
does, ass.

Once you hear a system that sounds twice as good that costs half as much,
why would you want Bose?

See above.

You really should broaden your horizons, Paul.
Close the magazine, quit reading the ads, stop listening to Paul Harvey,

and
go out and do some listening on your own. You'd be surprised how bad Bose
really is.

Can you read??? I already said I DON'T like Bose. For the money I haven't
heard anything better than my Paradigms. If money was no object I'd have
some MLs in my living room.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

Dude, you *really* don't want to hop onto Pug's bandwagon without reading
his previous posts first. Your opinion of him will change PDQ.

Paul Vina

"John Dziurlaj" wrote in message
om...
"Pug Fugley" wrote in message

link.net...
"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Who are you to tell him what he likes and dislikes? Maybe that's why

people
on this forum wouldn't wipe their ass with your opinion.

Yeah, people around here seem to have a problem with the truth. They

don't
like to hear it for some reason, but I could care less. I'm going to lay

it
down like it is, **** em if they don't like it. Too bad.

You preach it 'brotha!

Paul Vina

Well, it really doesn't matter what you think. Nobody really cares.

And sooooo many people think so highly of your opinions. And beieve me,
there are *plenty* of people here that will back me up when I say that my
opinion carries a ****load more weight than yours.

Paul Vina

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
Eddie Runner wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that Bose has done lots of research but I'm betting it was in
marketing, deception, and methods to build passable systems with dirt
cheap components.

Fry's Electronics is a big pusher of Bose speaker systems. I've
listened to their Bose equipment and it sounds very bad. Some of the
lowest-end trash from RCA and Optimus sounds less annoying. Bose knows
that too. That's why their product demos are very short bursts of loud
sound. Eight seconds of ear-splitting music or Hollywood explosions
doesn't allow time for interpretation, but it is impressively loud.
Pug Fugley

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
Why are you so opposed to science and so prone to
insulting folks that dont agree with your narrow opinion..??

I only insult those who say that known ****ty speakers sound good. In other
words, Bose freaks like yourself.

Pug Fugley wrote:

Sounds like you work for Amar. How sad for you.

Are you new here???
I thought just about everyone here knoew who I was already...
If your new see this web page
http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/newbie.htm

Nice web page...for 1994.

You seem a bit young to be mouthing off to me, though.

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I can't believe the crap this is still coming up with.

The stupid - you've got to admire their consistency.

You must be well admired around here.

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Dude, you *really* don't want to hop onto Pug's bandwagon without reading
his previous posts first. Your opinion of him will change PDQ.

What does Parts Delivered Quickly at Advance Auto have to do with this? Get
with the program or get the **** out.

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

Can you read??? I already said I DON'T like Bose. For the money I

haven't
heard anything better than my Paradigms. If money was no object I'd have
some MLs in my living room.

Whoops. 180 degree turn here. I love my Paradigms as well. What models do
you have? I have the Studio Active 40's with a Servo 15 and a regular (non
powered) Studio CC center with Atoms (for now) in the rear.

I traded in B&W 805's for my Paradigms, they are THAT damn good.

chippa

Anybody that says factory installed Bose systems suck obviously have not
heard the '03 and '04 Cadillac Escalade's Bose system. It's really
impressive. I'm not saying all Bose factory installed systems are
great(Nissan Maxima, etc.), but I am really impressed every time I turn
the knob on the Escalades. Also, to the guy that said Bose does not
let their speakers be A/B'd, I did an A/B/C comparison with Bose,
Infinity and Polk at Circuit City last year. I don't know if that was
permitted by Bose, but all the speakers were in one big room(kind of
hard for Bose to overlook in a visit to their retail sellers).

--
chippa

Pug Fugley

"chippa" wrote in message

Anybody that says factory installed Bose systems suck obviously have not
heard the '03 and '04 Cadillac Escalade's Bose system. It's really
impressive.

A) Notice it adds around $3000 to the price. It better sound good.
B) Impressive compared to what? The normal Delco crap found in those cars?
C) You honestly think you can't take that same $3000 and build a better
sounding system?
D) How many Bose speakers did you see at the last IASCA event?

Soundfreak03

And sooooo many people think so highly of your opinions. And beieve me,
there are *plenty* of people here that will back me up when I say that my
opinion carries a ****load more weight than yours.

You got that right Paul, Puggy has a problem with reading comprehension. He
cannot possibly understand that sound quality and the differences in speakers
are subjective for the most part. I absolutely hate Bose and would rip it out
the first day, BUT if the guy likes it then he likes it. Who are we to tell him
that he doesnt? And that it is crap? Pugsly's got to be one of the ignorant
dumbasses I have ever encountered here.
BTW Puggy, where is that shop of yours that ran everyone elses out of
business?? You never would answer that one. Could it be that you have never
worked at one before? I am starting to think so.

Les

Soundfreak03

Please do a lookup on AMAR BOSE!
There is plenty of REAL TECHNOLOGY as well as a philosophy
that is deserving of some respect...

Very true. Look at what they are doing with cylindrical radiators. Very
application specific and definantly not the best BUT a great idea that will
likely be jumped on by many companies in the next few years.

Les

chippa

A)The 9-speaker Bose system is standard on the Escalade so how do you
know how much it adds to the price?

B)I just said impressive. I didn't say it was better than any
particular system. Have you heard one?

C)Refer to A

D)None, because Bose doesn't sell car audio to consumers(to answer the
first question of this thread). And I never said that the system was
competition worthy.

--
chippa

Xtreme Tunes

"Pug Fugley" wrote :
snip
Actually, that saying didn't come from the stores. It came from audio
engineers like myself who know how Bose speakers are actually made. See,
when you spend your life surrounded by top notch audio equipment, then go
hear some **** like Bose you just don't understand why people buy them.

If you're an audio engineer, then I'm an astronaut.

Pug Fugley

"Xtreme Tunes" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
"Pug Fugley" wrote :
snip
Actually, that saying didn't come from the stores. It came from audio
engineers like myself who know how Bose speakers are actually made. See,
when you spend your life surrounded by top notch audio equipment, then

go
hear some **** like Bose you just don't understand why people buy them.

If you're an audio engineer, then I'm an astronaut.

Well, you at least got the 'ass' part right.

Paul Vina

Whoops. 180 degree turn here.

Huh? What turn? My opinion on Bose has been the same all along.

I love my Paradigms as well. What models do
you have? I have the Studio Active 40's with a Servo 15 and a regular (non
powered) Studio CC center with Atoms (for now) in the rear.

I use Atoms all around, a CC-470 center and a Sunfire Super Junior since I
rarely (almost never, really) listen to music at home so HT performance was
my main goal.

I traded in B&W 805's for my Paradigms, they are THAT damn good.

Our HT side carries a lot of stuff that I think the Paradigms sound better
than.

Paul Vina