Mack

Default Low pass/High pass filters=bandpass filter

I have purchased soundforge 6.0,i was working on an audio project and
i got some instructions to do something.Here are the instructions,can
someone tell me how i do this in soundforge,or if theres a plugin to
use to do this,or if there is another program to purchase.Also in
instruction number 4, "splice the audio so that you cut out all the
non-vocal parts", whats that supposed to mean(splice). Anyways i would
appreciate it.Thanks

Mack

1. Use a low pass filter and tune the filter so that the cutoff
frequency is as high as possible without hearing the vocals. This is
your low frequency cutoff. All you will hear is bass.

2. Use a highpass filter and tune the cutoff so that all you hear is
the highhat and cymabls and no vocals. This is your high frequency
cutoff.
3. Put the first cutoff frequency you found (low frequency cutoff)
into the highpass filter. Put the second cutoff you found into the
lowpass filter. You have now made a bandpass filter that is cutting
out the bass and the high treble. Shrink it down to taste (ie so that
you hear less of the instruments at the same frequency as the vocals).

4. Splice the audio so that you cut out all the non-vocal parts.
Don't worry about the vocal tails (ie don't worry if the vocals just
cut out at the end of vocal phrases), as you will reconstitute them
later.

5. reconsitute the tails: slap some reverb on the vocal track, and
some bpm-synced stereo delay (left side at three quarter notes and
right side at 6 quarter notes)
Ethan Winer

Mack,

can someone tell me how i do this in soundforge

SoundForge has high-pass and low-pass filters built in, so you don't need to
buy anything further.

in instruction number 4, "splice the audio so that you cut out all the

non-vocal parts"

What exactly is the goal of this exercise? Maybe there's an easier way to do
it.

I agree those instructions are less than eloquent. But you seem to not have
quite enough experience either. Splicing is an ancient term, from back when
audio was edited by cutting physical pieces of tape. You can do exactly the
same thing by cutting and pasting in SoundForge. And if you screw up,
instead of losing your only good take as pieces of tape collect on the dusty
floor, you can simply click Undo.

--Ethan

Mack

What exactly is the goal of this exercise? Maybe there's an easier way to do
it.

The goal of this exercise is to remove as much instruments as
possible. Sort of making an acapella.Can you suggest any other
methods? I heard you can do this also using an equalizer,do u know of
any good equalizer? The ones in soundforge are not that advanced i
dont think. Many people have removed the instruments from songs,and
the vocals dont sound quite good,but still,its better than nothing,so
I'm trying to find out how to do this.Thanks

Ethan Winer

Mack,

The goal of this exercise is to remove as much instruments as possible.

Sort of making an acapella.

I got your email with the MP3 attachments. If you don't mind I'll move the
discussion back here.

Can you suggest any other methods?

I don't know of any reasonable way to do this. You can often remove vocals,
but removing everything BUT vocals is a different matter. As evidence, the
MP3 you sent sounded terrible to me. I don't consider that useable even for
fooling around. If you want to experiment with remixes - and you don't care
if it's a famous tune - you'd do better to buy some Acid type Wave file
loops of vocal snippets. Then you can add new stuff to that.

I heard you can do this also using an equalizer, do u know of any good
equalizer?

No, you can't remove or keep instruments with EQ. Too many of the sounds
overlap and have content in a range of bands. For example, if you cut out
all the treble to get rid of a vocal, you also cut out the cymbals. And you
can still hear the vocals, if a little muffled.

--Ethan