Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Tweeter Recommendations......

As usual, when you finally have your system TOTALLY dialed-in something
happens and you have a problem.

I had bought a set of Alpine Class R seperates a little over a year ago that
I absolutely fell head over heals in love with. My car sounded better,
IMHO, than just about any system home or car I had ever heard.

Then my sister-in-law borrowed my car. Big mistake. You see, unlike my
wife who knows to TOUCH NOTHING, my sister in law backed the X-over
frequency of my tweets down just a bit on my outboard Coustic X-over (BTW, I
use the Coustic X-over to supply signal to both my front midbass amp,
high-passed at 80 Hz, as well as my front tweeter amp, it is one of the few
X-overs that can variably high-pass a signal up to 8 kHz, I had my tweets
set on a 12 dB high-pass of 3kHz, yet my sister-in-law THINKS she knows my
system as well as I do and THINKS she has "golden ears" and decided that my
front-stage would sound a little better if my tweeter X-overs were lowered
to 2 kHz to fill in a "dead-zone" she THOUGHT was there. She then proceeds
to listen to her heavy metal at EAR-BLEEDING levels.

Needless to say, one of my Class R tweets blew. I am so mad at my
sis-in-law I can hardly breath. I mean, I have a 1/2 DIN EQ along with my
HU and have told my wife and sis they can mess with THAT until the cows come
home, but NEVER mess with that X-over as it is what protects my speakers.
Does she head my advice? No.

So yesterday I put back in a new set of Infinity tweets I had bought new two
years ago when I was trying different tweeters to find the best. They sound
OK, but I can certainly tell the difference especially at higher volume
levels where the Infinities have a tendancy to blur the sound, while the
Alpines could take as much power as I could throw at them and would never
smear the high-end. What I would really want is just a single (newer,
within the last year) Alpine Class R tweeter. But no luck on Ebay, not even
could a find a PAIR of those tweets for sale, just the entire component
package.

So unfortunately I am back in the tweeter shopping business, something I
spent months on a couple years ago and tried many different tweeters. I am
VERY happy with all the other speakers in my car including the 6.5" Class R
midbass speaks up front and a set of JL VR series (from a component set)
5.25" speaks for my rear fill, again driven by it's own amplifier.

But these Infinity tweets are just not up to the standards of my other
speakers so I would appreciate any recommendations anybody might have.
Again, I just need tweeters, nothing else (like matching midbass drivers or
passive X-overs).

I have gotten good advice here when I asked this exact question several
years ago, but technology and models have changed since then so I would
really appreciate some feedback. I like my sound loud, yet laid back and I
have NEVER liked the sound of metal dome tweets (I've heard dozens over the
years and although they often sound stuning in a showroom, my experience
with using high-end metal dome tweets is that they wear down on you after
listening for extended periods). This is why I now only go after textile
tweets as they generally sound more laid back and easier on the ear.

I was curious about Focal. I have never used their speaks and was wondering
if they might be good canidates for tweeters. I know Morel makes some great
tweeters but they are probably out of my price range. I don't have an
absolute limit as to how much I will spend, but it certainly won't be
hundreds of dollars for a simple set of tweeters. I also have no problems
with used tweeters, provided they are in good shape and have not been
abused.

Anyway, I welcome ANY and ALL advice.

Thank you in advance,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Opinions on JL's new '08 TR Series Tweets?

I know JL has made some good tweeters in the past and I'm curious if anyone
has any opinions on these or have heard them. They can be had new on Ebay
for a pretty reasonable price.

Thank you,

MOSFET

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Infinity Reference vs. Kappa Tweets?

I am, at the moment, using a pair of new Infinity Reference 1021T tweeters
as a band-aid until I can get something a little better (that can AT LEAST
keep up with my Alpine midbass drivers).

On Ebay I found many new Kappa tweeter sets like the 10.7t at reasonable
prices.

I am wondering if there is a big difference between the Refference and Kappa
series tweets. The specs are not all that different, 50 watts RMS, 125
watts max. And frankly the requency response states that the Refference
series is 2.5kHz-21kHz while the Kappa is 3.5kHz-25kHz. While I know not to
lend much credence to these numbers, it does make me wonder if the Kappa's
would sound much better.

Again, I'm looking for ANY feedback regarding these tweeters (especially
from those who use them and how much power they see, how they sound, what
else have they used in the past, how do the Kappa's compare, ect.).

If the Kappa's are not all that different from the Reference series then I
won't consider them, but if they are much better sounding I will certainly
consider them.

Again, I could REALLY use some advice regarding tweeters from those who use
seperates in their cars.

Thank you again,

MOSFET
"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Well, I don't use components, but I'll throw my recommendation in
there just the same.

Polk Audio.

All the way.

~Mister.Lull

On May 23, 10:47*pm, "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

MOSFET- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Bought a set of new Infinity Kappa's yesterday...

Thanks Lull. I considered a set of Polk tweeters. Ebay has new sets of
Polk Audio DB10001 1" silk dome tweeters for $77.90.

You don't know how close I was to buying a set as I have always liked the
sound of Polk tweeters.

And if I had seen this message before yesterday I might have done something
different, but I have already bought a better set of tweeters: a new pair of
Infinity Kappa 10.7 tweeters. Like Polk, I have always liked the sound
quality of the Kappa series and their CMMD tweeters. I found a REALLY good
deal I just couldn't pass up.

So if I get them and they don't messure up, I'll just sell them and try
Polk. I used this same strategy two years ago as I tried many different
brands of tweets.

As I said, the Infinity Refference series I'm using now does have a tendancy
to smear the sound at high volume levels, but the Kappa series are much
better tweeters and I will see how well they mesh with my Alpine midbass
drivers.

So the verdicts still out, but I will let you know. I'm sure at some point
in my life I will get around to using Polk tweeters (I've used just about
every other brand!).

Nick

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Cool!

On May 25, 5:01*pm, "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

om...

[...]

WTB: 1 MB Quart Tweeter or Tweeter set Hung Lieu Car Audio 2 April 17th 13 02:50 AM
Super Tweeter Driver Recommendations? Len Moskowitz Pro Audio 15 January 7th 05 07:22 PM
B&W 602 tweeter Da S Marketplace 0 May 19th 04 08:45 PM
B&W 602 tweeter Da S Marketplace 0 May 19th 04 08:45 PM
fa: AR tweeter NOS still in the box Mark Marketplace 0 May 13th 04 08:29 PM