Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Need help on aftermarket speakers for '93 300E

I was informed by the folks at Crutchfield.com that none of the speakers they stock will fit my
1993 300E. I was surprised as they have a pretty sophisticated knowledge of which speakers
will fit which cars and, obviously, have an incentive to sell product.

It's not like they carry a limited line of speakers either. They stock Polk, Alpine, Kicker, Blaupunkt,
Boston Acoustics, Eclipse, Infinity, JBL, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, and Sony.

The front dash speakers are blown. I'd like to replace the dash and the rear speakers, but can't
find a drop-in easy install replacement.

Do any speakers that are easily installed exist? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mariachi Mariachi is offline

Yes, Crutchfield said my speakers that I bought wouldn't fit and they
fit perfectly fine. What you need to do is find out what size your
stock speakers are. First, take apart the dash to look at the front
speakers and also look at the rear speakers and see if you can identify
a speaker dimension on the back of the speaker (If your car manual has
this information, you can save a lot of time by just looking in the car
manual). Most front speakers are 5.25" or 6.5" diameter. Most rear
speakers are 6x8" or 6x9" inches. Before you buy any speaker, I
suggest you measure a couple things if you don't know them. Measure
the speaker mounts' dimension (the material that holds the speaker in
the car) and also measure how much speaker depth that your mounting
area allows. Otherwise if you buy a larger speaker than the speaker
mount allows, you will have to drill new screw holes, buy new mounts,
or possibly cut some holes in your frame just to make it fit. I think
Crutchfield shows the dimensions of both the speaker depth and the
speaker size. Do not go by whether crutchfield says it will fit or
not, go by your best judgment through your measurements.