Jason Morman

Default Directly connecting Bose Acoustimass speakers

Hi there, I'm looking to buy some Bose Acoustimass Direct/Reflecting
dual cube arrays off of eBay. My question is whether it's possible to
directly connect these to a receiver? Ie. I wont have the base module
to connect the cubes through.

I've researched this topic pretty extensively and there is much mixed
opinion out there.

Officially this is unsupported by Bose, but many people say it's
possible to do this by configuring your receiver to 'small' speaker
types and setting the crossover as high as possible.

I would be very interested to hear anyones experiences with doing this.

- Jason.

Sander deWaal

"Jason Morman" said:

Hi there, I'm looking to buy some Bose Acoustimass Direct/Reflecting
dual cube arrays off of eBay. My question is whether it's possible to
directly connect these to a receiver? Ie. I wont have the base module
to connect the cubes through.

IIRC, the older models used 200 Hz crossovers.
I'd use some film (or bipolar electrolytic) capacitors of an
appropriate value in series with the speakers.
When an electronic crossover is used, low frequency thumps and plops
from the power amp still can ruin those tiny sattelites.
Using series caps will prevent that.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Jason Morman wrote:
Hi there, I'm looking to buy some Bose Acoustimass Direct/Reflecting
dual cube arrays off of eBay. My question is whether it's possible to
directly connect these to a receiver? Ie. I wont have the base module
to connect the cubes through.

I've researched this topic pretty extensively and there is much mixed
opinion out there.

Officially this is unsupported by Bose, but many people say it's
possible to do this by configuring your receiver to 'small' speaker
types and setting the crossover as high as possible.

Should work fine. But given that you can buy a Bose Acoustimass base
module from many eBay sellers, why not get that also? Or just buy an
Acoustimass set to start with?

BTW, Bose is now selling the Acoustimass 3 set for $200 new. That set
has the single-cube speakers, which IMHO sound better than the
double-cube Bose speakers. The double cubes sound harsh to me and the
single cubes sound more mellow and pleasant, IMHO. If space is an
issue, the single cubes are smaller than the double cubes.

From what I've seen, due to the popularity of the Bose brand, you may

find the double cubes on eBay are selling at high prices, although I
haven't looked lately.

Yet another suggestion would be to buy some small used satellite
speakers on eBay from makers such as Energy, Infinity, Mirage, or other
good, affordable brands. For example, you can often find small Infinity
satellite speakers and small powered Infinity subs on eBay for much
lower prices than you'd find Bose Acoustimass speakers. The Energy Take
series (Take 2 speakers from the Take 5 set, etc.) and small powered
Energy subs are another fine choice. BTW, the Energy Take 2 (a personal
favorite) was also sold as the Mirage AVS-200 (Energy and Mirage are
part of the same company).

(BTW, I've owned the Bose Acoustimass 3, small Infinity speakers and
powered sub, and the Energy Take 2 speakers, so I'm speaking from
experience. I liked the Acoustimass 3 OK, especially the size, but
there are as good or better choices available.)

I would be very interested to hear anyones experiences with doing this.

I think if you're going to go with Bose, you might as well get the base
module too. I also think there are as good or better speakers from
other brands that you can find at lower prices, such as the brands I
suggest above.

- Jason.

John C.

On 10 Nov 2005 15:12:31 -0800, "Jason Morman"
wrote:

Hi there, I'm looking to buy some Bose Acoustimass Direct/Reflecting
dual cube arrays off of eBay. My question is whether it's possible to
directly connect these to a receiver? Ie. I wont have the base module
to connect the cubes through.

I've researched this topic pretty extensively and there is much mixed
opinion out there.

Officially this is unsupported by Bose, but many people say it's
possible to do this by configuring your receiver to 'small' speaker
types and setting the crossover as high as possible.

I would be very interested to hear anyones experiences with doing this.

- Jason.

You would have to set the crossover very high, probably that wouldnt
be enough. You might need a crossover of some sort, or play them at
very low volume.
And it is "bass" module. Well, that is the correct spelling, if not
execution.