Steven Sullivan

Default rec.audio.dbt

Nousaine wrote:
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
newsGp2b.255383$YN5.175306@sccrnsc01...
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
news:mv82b.184354$cF.62105@rwcrnsc53...

*for example, the radically different results obtained by Oohashi et al
when
testing long-duration but blind listening under relaxed conditions on a
proto-monadic basis (statistically significant difference despite lack

of
close proximity rapid switching), versus traditional shorter duration
comparative blind testing (no statistical difference).

(1) There were other significant differences in Oohashi tests than just

the
ones just stated. For example, the alternatives compared included

different
loudspeaker systems, which not surprisingly had different measured

frequency
response in the normal audible range.

(2) Many blind tests related to the same issue have been done under

highly
relaxed conditions and there are no known positive results.

See my reply to Steven. I understand the test needs to be replicated to be
taken more seriously...but I would like to see some acknowledgement that
there may be a crack in the orthodoxy. For if there is, then "undisputable
scientific evidence" no longer is so "undisputable". How about
acknowledging just a smidge of uncertainty? :-)

Harry seems to want to get the camel's nose under the corner of the tent.
Subjectivists will do this. "Please acknowledge just a iota of uncertainty ..."
and if they get this on even one minor point then ALL the old baggage gets
dragged out of the closet as if it's been confirmed.

I'm happy to acknowledge an iota of uncertainty optimal *implementation of*
controlled listening protocols, if subjectivists acknowledge the boulder of
uncertainty sighted comparison, that derives from the mountain of
data verifying the existence of perceptual bias.

Now, given the status quo of audiophile reviewing practice, which rhetorical
deficiency is in more pressing need of fixing?

And Harry knows that Oohashi's results have been discussed here before,
including reasons why some could be skeptical of them.

--
-S.

Steven Sullivan

ludovic mirabel wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in message ...
ludovic mirabel wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in message .net...

Between the horrors of invincible sighted bias that has been "proven"
(no?) to afflict everyone , but everyone equally:- experienced or not
experienced, an unamplified music concert goer with good taste (sorry,
no chapter about that in the electronics manual, no study in JAES) or
a rock fan, chamber music lover or car audio fan-
and the horrors of
invariable "They all sound the same" ABX earmuffs give me the
subjectivist impressions of sighted J.Gordon Holt any time.

Personally I'm not frightened of such straw men, merely irritated
that you keep creating them.

"You're creating a strawman" appears to be a favourite strawman
argument in RAHE. "Strawman" thus used is a diversion away from the
topic under discussion to replace a rational argument.

No, it's shorthand for: 'you have presented your opponents' arguments
inaccurately, apparently to make them seem absurd"

Namely, that argument that bias 'affects everyone equally' (as opposed to the
accurate claim: 'bias affects everyone'). Namely, that "they all
sound the same' (as opposed to the actual argument, that for certain
classes of device X, nominally competent X operating under normal
conditions should sound the same)

There's no reason to 'debate' straw man arguments; one need only
*correct* them, and move on to debate of the *actual* claims.

However, your penchant seems to be to resurrect the same
straw men over and over, so the value of 'debating' you seems
questionable.

As has been noted before.

--
-S.
Dennis Moore

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Actually these magazines had detailed descriptions of newer technolgies

(CD,
DAT, phono carts, DCC, Mini-Disc, Mp3, Elcassette years before any of the
high-end magazines even acknowledged their existance.

I am only glad Stereophile didn't waste my time with elcassette
or MP3. As for all the others, they did some very detailed reports
on them. Whether they were the first or not I don't know. I do
know you folks talk about straw men. About intentional or incompe-
tent misdirection. Stereophile wasn't years behind on DAT, DCC,
or any of the mediums that might matter in quality audio. And
as a matter of fact had some of the best reports done on these.
And in a timely matter. As in available to read just as the equip-
ment was close to being available for consumer purchase.

They also featured detailed technical pieces on speaker placement, room
interaction, digital recording technology, bias conntrolled listenign

tests and
other aspects of audio that have never appeared or even been examined by

the
boutique magazines

Yet another untruth. Each and every topic in your above paragraph
have in fact been done by Stereophile. If you are going to criticize
them at least use the truth. Not your biased fantasy Mr. Nousaine.

I also suspect
that many of those reviews in those other magazines consisted
of a quick listen, and some measurements. Not the extended
use done by SP and TAS.

Extended work? It is true that Stereophile has been providing extensive
measurements in the past decade or more but Stereo Review and Audio were

always
ahead of them. TAS has never engaged in 'extended' work other than

claiming to
spend a lot of time 'hearing' inaudible differences.

Also read what I wrote. Not what you want to read. I used
the term "extended use", not 'extended work'.

Stereophile seemingly has never met an amplifier it didn't like. How

many
of
the amplifiers reviewed in 2001 and 2002 appeared on the RCL? All of

them.

This is certainly not true.

Yes it is. Check out the January issue of the products reviewed and

compare it
to the April RCL. That's what I did.

Now you are guilty of more intentional misrepresentation. After
I made it clear I wasn't referring to recent years of the magazine.
You go right back and refer to it again. I made it quite clear I
didn't like the current way the magazine is done because they
like everything they review. A confirmation of what you said,
but beside the point as I was referring to years ago. When they
most definitely did not like all items reviewed. So Mr. Nouisane,
other than cheap debating tactics what is your point?

The magazine is still being edited by one of the primary principles. You

mean
that he's NOT using the same criteria for reviews and RCL that held

before? I'm
pretty sure that the descriptions in the book haven't said that they now
recommend products that were 'unrecommendable' by past standards.

Again, not relevent to what I have said here. Regardless of who
is now editing the magazine it clearly is different from when it
wasn't owned by a big conglomerate publishing company. Again
what is your point?

It's all very interesting and quite frankly IMO Stereo Review (now Sound &
Vision) has always done the best job of managing the field, providing

useful
information (not just product evaluation) and keeping enough advertisers

happy
that subscription prices have always been reasonable.

Well SR now S&V certainly are cheap. They certainly give you
the best collection of brochure like treatments of equipment.
They certainly keep advertisers quite happy. Which certainly
kept pricing down.

And for more in depth info on usefulness they aren't much use.

Dennis

S888Wheel

Tom said

Sighted tests yield 'difference' 3/4 of the time when subjects are given 2
identical sound presentations. When was the last time anyobe ever heard
someone
say aloud during an aduio salon presentation "they sounded alike to me."

I said

Last weekend.

Tom said

That's pretty cool. IME unusual as well.

My experience is that many people might remain silent (indicating prehaps no
difference) but then one or two will say what they "heard" which may be
conflicting.

Most of my comparisons are done with the help of one friend. We try to do some
comparisons blind and some sighted. Mostly because i opperate the equipment. We
usually have something to say. We usually hear the same things more or less. we
occasionally don't. Our differences in opinion when they happen usually are
more in the preference than in the analysis of what we hear.

Tom said

The the 'host" usually a salesman or system owner will say "OK let's try again
with different material." After another round the participants will then
'negotiate' what they 'heard.' It's quite common for silent participants to
speak up after a 2nd round.

I don't spend much times in stereo shops these days and in most of my
comparisons, i am the host.

Tom said

But usually those who will not acknowledge a difference are simply ignored.

In my comparisons no one is ignored.

Tom said

Often people are asked "what did you hear?' or 'what do you think?' and then
any remark will be considered a statement of difference.

When i am doing comparisons blind or sighted with my friend the question is
usually "What do you think?" I guess that would be in the same vein as "what
did you hear?"
Stewart Pinkerton

On 27 Aug 2003 17:09:13 GMT, "Dennis Moore"
wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Actually these magazines had detailed descriptions of newer technolgies

(CD,
DAT, phono carts, DCC, Mini-Disc, Mp3, Elcassette years before any of the
high-end magazines even acknowledged their existance.

I am only glad Stereophile didn't waste my time with elcassette
or MP3.

Actually, Elcaset had a lot going for it, combining twice the track
width and twice the speed of Musicassette, with all the same noise
reduction technologies. Also, MP3 at high bit rates is an excellent
technology. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Stereophile seemingly has never met an amplifier it didn't like. How many of
the amplifiers reviewed in 2001 and 2002 appeared on the RCL? All of them.

This is certainly not true.

Yes it is. Check out the January issue of the products reviewed and compare it
to the April RCL. That's what I did.

Now you are guilty of more intentional misrepresentation. After
I made it clear I wasn't referring to recent years of the magazine.

No, he made a precise statement which is true. What is *your* point?

Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

...."
and if they get this on even one minor point then ALL the old baggage gets
dragged out of the closet as if it's been confirmed.

Don't feel so *threatened* Tom. Your reaction is almost like "if we let
just one move into the neighborhood......."

In this case there seems to be little uncertainty that is of interest in

that
experiment to everyday enthusiasts making purchase and deployment

decisions.

I suspect the fact that a listening test technique that closely paralleled
the typical audiophiles home evaluation (comfortable setting, delibertely
soothing environment, whole piece of music to listen to, after-the-fact
evaluation based on that whole piece) appered to be more sensitive* would
definitely interest them if it were more widely known.

* the test showed statistically significant differences in the two test
variables when listened to blind and evaluation on a scale afterward.
According to the authors, conventional blind a-b testing showed no
difference.
Nousaine

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

..."
and if they get this on even one minor point then ALL the old baggage gets
dragged out of the closet as if it's been confirmed.

Don't feel so *threatened* Tom. Your reaction is almost like "if we let
just one move into the neighborhood......."

I'm not threatened in the least. I'm only recounting the tons of experience
I've had with "audiophiles." I just know what happens with these leading
statements and questions.

In this case there seems to be little uncertainty that is of interest in

that
experiment to everyday enthusiasts making purchase and deployment

decisions.

I suspect the fact that a listening test technique that closely paralleled
the typical audiophiles home evaluation (comfortable setting, delibertely
soothing environment, whole piece of music to listen to, after-the-fact
evaluation based on that whole piece) appered to be more sensitive* would
definitely interest them if it were more widely known.

Sure; but I've done that experiment. At the end; results were unchanged AND the
subject resorted to fast switching to improve sensitivity.

* the test showed statistically significant differences in the two test
variables when listened to blind and evaluation on a scale afterward.
According to the authors, conventional blind a-b testing showed no
difference.

Well; why not perform that experiment and report the results?

Dennis Moore

"Stewart Pinkerton"
Now you are guilty of more intentional misrepresentation. After
I made it clear I wasn't referring to recent years of the magazine.

No, he made a precise statement which is true. What is *your* point?

Sorry Stewart. He wrote a precise statement which was true and
irrelevant. I had precisely stated already, I was not referring
to recent years of the publication to which he again brings up
recent years of the publication. Make any sense to you?

Dennis

Harry Lavo

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
et...

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

Those expressed skepticisms had to do with the audibility of ultrasonic
frequencies. they simply have no bearing on the test technique used.
After all, if some of the reservations about equipment were correct, it
should actually give the edge to one variable or the other in quick switch,
direct comparison testing.

Arny Krueger

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message

"Nousaine" wrote in message news:

True they do not focus on 'high-end' (although many people will
consider a $10k projector or a $10k surround processor as such) but
appeal more directly to the serious enthusiast who is more
interested in sheer performance than brand-names and urban legends.

Nousaine,

To say S&V appeals to a more 'serious' enthusiast than SP
doesn't make sense. You may not agree with that readership, but
as a group they are far more serious than S&V readers.

The word "serious" is subjective, so what does it mean?

I think it means whatever the writer thinks it means, no?

I can construct an argument that says that a person who walks around with a
MP3 player blasting in his ear hours every day is a more serious music lover
and music listener than another person who listens only in a dedicated
listening room filled with high end equipment for an hour a week.

Nousaine

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

[...]

I have a friend who organized a jazz club, built a special tiered listening
room, a mono horn loudspeaker with a mouth several feet wide. This includes 2
Viking open reel machines with 3 frontal horn speakers for the inside room and
with the 4th tape track used as a control mechanism so that open reel
recordings could be programmed for playback order.

The room was built pre-cd, all the members are 50+ (often seriously older) and
they are the epitome of "music lovers." They meet monthly and listen to all
sorts of traditional jazz on acetate, vinyl and all existing formats of tape
and digital media.

The equipment and seating arrangements are arranged to simulate a club
environment; seats around a central cocktail table some with backs to the
speakers. Listening sessions often have open conversations about the music,
musicians and recordings being conducted while songs are being played.

The focus is always on the artform itself and not on the playback system even
though it was specially designed and purpose-built for the sole purpose of
enjoying the music in recorded form.

These are True Music Lovers IMO. You never see them contemplating on whether
new wire is going to make things better.
Robert Lang

Default THE AUDIOPHILE PRESS

Excepting the opinion about engineering principles, I also agree with
Mike's comments. Although the tenor of those comments probably invite
the ire of those with opposing views.

With respect to DBTs, I have closely followed discussions about this
topic in this forum for more than 4 years. I believe that all but a
fraction of audiophiles don't care one way or another about DBTs.
Certainly there is nothing wrong at all about being in the minority.
But I have come to the conclusion (for me) that while there may be
useful purposes for DBTs in research and other esoteric applications I
have never seen any illustration in this forum or elsewhere how DBTs
can be of *practical* use to mainstream audiophiles. Audiophiles seem
to love to talk about DBts but won't or can't apply them to the real
world of buying/comparing audio equipment for the purposes of
listening to real music. Even staunch disciples of DBTs that I have
quizzed in this forum over the years don't use DBTs in there audio
equipment purchases even though they may lambast those who believe
DBts to be irrevocably flawed. It's not that they are not principled
with respect to their belief in DBTs. It's that DBTs are not a
practical tool for even zealots who care about them.

And at the risk of a non sequitur, it is sort of like what I have been
grappling with respect to solar energy. Solar energy is a great ideal,
at least until you attempt to apply it. The obstacles and upfront
expense turn back all but a sliver of those who, otherwise, think it
is a great alternative energy source. And while I have decided to take
the plunge with respect to solar energy, I have found arguments for
DBTs to be far less convincing and far too "petri dish" for my audio
hobby tastes.

Robert C. Lang

"Jerry C." wrote in message news:27f5b.337583$o%2.155694@sccrnsc02...
Richard D Pierce wrote:
Mkuller wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

The audiophile review press should be
1) educating readers about relevant engineering principles and

These are for engineers, not audiophiles. Most of us don't care about
engineering principles. This hobby is about enjoying music.

2) employing proper measurements in reviews and

Stereophile does this. Do you think if they only did this only and stopped
printing the reviews anyone would read it?

3) employing proper comparison techniques in reviews and

What does this mean - DBTs. Audiophiles don't care.

Mike, once again, you seem to think you speak for "audiophiles."
When did this election occur or is it a blood-line rise to the
throne? Also, you seem also to have taken on the task of
defining "audiophile" as anyone who agrees with your position.
You would seem to assume that anyone who does not agree with you
can therefore not be an audiophile. You have put strict limits
on who is or is not a member of your club.

So, do the members of your little club have a salute? Do they
get to wear badges and all?

I am an audiophile (not an engineer enthusiast or audio journalist) and
Mike not only speaks for me but I believe that he speaks for most
audiophile listeners. His comments are merely common sense. One can
disagree without disparaging bombast.

Not surprisingly, I strongly disagree with you. If you believe the above is
the role of the audio press, then why don't you start a magazine to do all
those things. I'll tell you why - no one would be interested in reading it.

Really, NO ONE?

Mike actually qualified his "no one" as you already acknowledged below,
so why take his words out of context? Mike is right. Such a proposed
magazine would fail miserably due to an infinitessimally small
subscription base. I would be willing to bet on that.

Again, how do you know this. YOU might not be interested in
reading it, but gee, the world consists of something other than
Mike clones.

Okay maybe a handful of zealots here would buy it, but that's about it.

A handful of zealots. Gee, that seems to describe YOUR
definition of exclusionary audiophilic bigotry quite well.

Perhaps "enthusiasts" is a more acceptable term than "zealots", but in
general, that statement is accurate.

Jerry Cipriano

chung

Robert Lang wrote:
Excepting the opinion about engineering principles, I also agree with
Mike's comments. Although the tenor of those comments probably invite
the ire of those with opposing views.

With respect to DBTs, I have closely followed discussions about this
topic in this forum for more than 4 years. I believe that all but a
fraction of audiophiles don't care one way or another about DBTs.
Certainly there is nothing wrong at all about being in the minority.
But I have come to the conclusion (for me) that while there may be
useful purposes for DBTs in research and other esoteric applications I
have never seen any illustration in this forum or elsewhere how DBTs
can be of *practical* use to mainstream audiophiles.

How about the fact that no one has passed a properly conducted DBT on
two cables with similar measurements? I would think that every
mainstream audiophile should find this result very practical.

Or how about reading that a well-known high-end salesman could not tell,
in a DBT, a Pass amp from a Yamaha integrated amp, even though the the
former costs more than 10 times the latter? Why wouldn't you, as an
audiophile, find that result very interesting and practical?

Audiophiles seem
to love to talk about DBts but won't or can't apply them to the real
world of buying/comparing audio equipment for the purposes of
listening to real music.

Now you are contradicting yourself. You said that "all but a
fraction of audiophiles don't care one way or another about DBTs", and
then you said audiophiles love to talk about DBT's. Which is it?

Even staunch disciples of DBTs that I have
quizzed in this forum over the years don't use DBTs in there audio
equipment purchases even though they may lambast those who believe
DBts to be irrevocably flawed.

Why is that strange? There is a difference between not doing a test for
practical reasons, and saying that the test is flawed. No one has been
lambasted for not doing a DBT. One does not have to do a DBT to
understand the principles behind the DBT.

It's not that they are not principled
with respect to their belief in DBTs. It's that DBTs are not a
practical tool for even zealots who care about them.

No one has said that you have to do a DBT to choose equipment.

And at the risk of a non sequitur, it is sort of like what I have been
grappling with respect to solar energy. Solar energy is a great ideal,
at least until you attempt to apply it. The obstacles and upfront
expense turn back all but a sliver of those who, otherwise, think it
is a great alternative energy source. And while I have decided to take
the plunge with respect to solar energy, I have found arguments for
DBTs to be far less convincing and far too "petri dish" for my audio
hobby tastes.

But you wouldn't say that solar energy is a flawed concept, right?

Robert C. Lang

Steven Sullivan

Robert Lang wrote:
Excepting the opinion about engineering principles, I also agree with
Mike's comments. Although the tenor of those comments probably invite
the ire of those with opposing views.

With respect to DBTs, I have closely followed discussions about this
topic in this forum for more than 4 years. I believe that all but a
fraction of audiophiles don't care one way or another about DBTs.
Certainly there is nothing wrong at all about being in the minority.
But I have come to the conclusion (for me) that while there may be
useful purposes for DBTs in research and other esoteric applications I
have never seen any illustration in this forum or elsewhere how DBTs
can be of *practical* use to mainstream audiophiles.

They coudl be of the same -- or IMO, far more -- *practical* use as
any other review in the *Audiophile Press* (which is the subject of
this thread) if the *Audiophile Press* would use DBTs in their reviews.

Audiophiles seem
to love to talk about DBts but won't or can't apply them to the real
world of buying/comparing audio equipment for the purposes of
listening to real music.

How do audiophiles compare audio equipment in the real world?

Even staunch disciples of DBTs that I have
quizzed in this forum over the years don't use DBTs in there audio
equipment purchases even though they may lambast those who believe
DBts to be irrevocably flawed.

They also lambaste those who make claims of *audible difference*
from non DBT comparisons of cables and certain other classes of equipment.
That is entirely reasonable given the objecvitist premise.
THey *also* recognize that people purchase audio components for
reasons that *include* , but are not *restricted to*,
their sound. And, if you believe that cables ,CD players and solid state
amps are likely to sound the same in normal use, then those *other
reasons* -- such as features, power, reliability, etc. -- become paramount.
This, too, is entirely reasonable.

It's not that they are not principled
with respect to their belief in DBTs. It's that DBTs are not a
practical tool for even zealots who care about them.

If that's the case, it does not logically imply that non-DBT methods
become any *more* valid for discerning audible difference. Sighted
listening does not become a 'better' means of determinign audible
difference just because msot people dont' have an ABX box. Similarly,
msot high-enders don't have ready access to multiple components for
comparison, or to test or to test equipment -- which is why they read
rags like TAS or Stereophile in the hope of finding such data.
And *that'* why it's TAS, Stereophile et al who shoudlalso be
using the *best* comparison methods, as determined by *science*,
not folklore.

And at the risk of a non sequitur, it is sort of like what I have been
grappling with respect to solar energy. Solar energy is a great ideal,
at least until you attempt to apply it. The obstacles and upfront
expense turn back all but a sliver of those who, otherwise, think it
is a great alternative energy source. And while I have decided to take
the plunge with respect to solar energy, I have found arguments for
DBTs to be far less convincing and far too "petri dish" for my audio
hobby tastes.

This view makes no logical sense. The argument for DBT remain
just as compelling regardless of whether home listeners can
employ them. Similarly, jsut because people can't run
randomized double-blind trials of medicine at home, doesn't
make the argument for such controls any less compelling.
Would you discount the use of DBT in medicine simply because
doctors who advocate them don't preform them *at home*?

DBT may not be *practical* for you, but it is still objectively
the *best* means of comparison. And sighted comparison remains
*essentially* flawed.

Dennis Moore

"Robert Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Mr. Lang,

I think you are making one of the most important points.
DBT's for normal equipment choices are not very practical.
And there aren't offered good alternatives that I can think of
reading about here. Which prompted some large, but useless
threads about what is good enough equipment etc.

So hopefully some objectivists will offer an alternative here.
Or some more manageable method of comparison.

I recently asked for info on the best accurate amp for some
Soundlabs. No response to speak of so far. Yet this is a common
situation one faces. You have some speakers, what amps to
consider. Power levels are reasonably easy to determine. So
what next. Is a large Adcom as good sonically as anything?
If not how do you know, what is a better choice?

If you wish to buy a CD/SACD/DVD player, are any of them
sonically accurate? Which don't make the cut, and how do
you figure that out? How much even roughly gets you enough
quality not to worry about the quality or accuracy of the signal
the disc player will provide?

Dennis
Bob Marcus

(Robert Lang) wrote in message . net...

With respect to DBTs, I have closely followed discussions about this
topic in this forum for more than 4 years. I believe that all but a
fraction of audiophiles don't care one way or another about DBTs.

This is certainly true (even though many benefit from them
unknowingly!).

Certainly there is nothing wrong at all about being in the minority.
But I have come to the conclusion (for me) that while there may be
useful purposes for DBTs in research and other esoteric applications I
have never seen any illustration in this forum or elsewhere how DBTs
can be of *practical* use to mainstream audiophiles.

Be careful not to confuse two ideas: ease of use, and value. Doing a
proper DBT takes some work, and probably isn't worth it for many
audiophiles. They would nonetheless benefit from doing a few, just to
test their sense that certain differences are "obvious."

Audiophiles seem
to love to talk about DBts

Actually, few do. But we punish ourselves for the good of...well,
something or other.

but won't or can't apply them to the real
world of buying/comparing audio equipment for the purposes of
listening to real music. Even staunch disciples of DBTs that I have
quizzed in this forum over the years don't use DBTs in there audio
equipment purchases even though they may lambast those who believe
DBts to be irrevocably flawed.

Actually, this is very perceptive. The arguments here invariably start
with someone proclaiming those supposed flaws, not with anyone trying
to force DBTs on people who aren't interested in doing them.

It's not that they are not principled
with respect to their belief in DBTs. It's that DBTs are not a
practical tool for even zealots who care about them.

I find the word zealots in this context to be rude, condescending,
belittling and denigrating, and am shocked that the normally competent
moderators have allowed such language to intrude into RAHE.

bob
normanstrong

[...]

Golly, is it that bad? I don't consider myself a zealot, but I use
DBT any time I can. I've run DBT on bi-wiring v. mono-wiring; several
acoustic suspension bookshelf speakers; CDs v. CD-R copies of the CD.
I've run DBT of frozen CDs. All of these were practical tests run
for the purpose of component selection.

I've run SBT of vinyl playback v. a digital copy of the vinyl
playback. Etc. etc.

None of these tests were "petri dish". All were for practical use.

Norm Strong
ludovic mirabel

Mr. Lang said:
Even staunch disciples of DBTs that I have

quizzed in this forum over the years don't use DBTs in there audio
equipment purchases even though they may lambast those who believe
DBts to be irrevocably flawed.

Actually, this is very perceptive. The arguments here invariably start
with someone proclaiming those supposed flaws, not with anyone trying
to force DBTs on people who aren't interested in doing them.

It's not that they are not principled
with respect to their belief in DBTs. It's that DBTs are not a
practical tool for even zealots who care about them.

I find the word zealots in this context to be rude, condescending,
belittling and denigrating, and am shocked that the normally competent
moderators have allowed such language to intrude into RAHE.

bob

I wonder why Mr. Marcus saw fit to appeal to the moderators
about Mr. Lang's literate and civilised posting putting forward his
view that ABX is of limited interest to audiophiles at large
Perhaps Mr. Lang's accurate remark that many of those who are
ready to die for DBTs clam up when asked how THEY used it and what was
the result, excited his ire.
While we're at it I wonder why this appeal for censorship
appeared here and not in the "discuss" forum where it clearly belongs.
But it did- so I'm answering it here.
If the new guidelines will result in a string of complaints
about every figure of speech then I foresee emasculation of this
forum- the only moderate audio forum with any debates at all- to the
blandness level of a textbook.
I think Mr. Marcus should forget occasionally his well-known
scrupulousness in debate and allow an inoffensive metaphor in. He can
always answer to the subject and in kind. Zealot means a true
believer. I'd quote the insinuation that "subjectivists" ( what a
silly demeaning name!) are antiscientific old believers from several
recent posts but why should I?
Ludovic Mirabel

ludovic mirabel

chung wrote in message news:V5U5b.266586$cF.83849@rwcrnsc53...
Robert Lang wrote:
[...]

The reason for Robert Lang's attitude is quite simple.
You assume an unproven hypothesis: " DBT/ABX is THE proven test for
testing differences in music reproduction between audio components"
You quote no properly conducted, scientific, peer reviewed,
validation test for your hypothesis. You know why? Because there isn't
any. Quoting research in other fields proves that it works in other
fields. Period.
Of course you're free to hold any belief you like. Of course
sceptics are free to point out to you that such a test with repeatable
validity for a billion different audio listeners, trained and
untrained, young or old, those who never listened to an unamplified
instrument and chamber music devotees is as likely as a flying saucer
landing in New Mexico. That you claim SCIENCE is on your side is
irrelevant. Everybody does- it adds prestige to scientogy and aroma
therapy.
In the meantime if a connoisseur friend, whose good taste I
trust tells me that HE hears the difference between Yamaha and Pass
amp I'll try to educate my ears to his standard. Even if you and the
"well-known high-end salesman" are out of the love of humanity, trying
to save my money.
ABX does not work for me. It does not mean that it does not
work for you. We are all different- we're all "subjective subjects"
Ludovic Mirabel
P.S. The remainder of your text quoted below validates that
DBT as a universally applicable audiophile "test"is a belief not a
fact

[...]

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Sep 2003 15:56:15 GMT, "Dennis Moore"
wrote:

I think you are making one of the most important points.
DBT's for normal equipment choices are not very practical.
And there aren't offered good alternatives that I can think of
reading about here. Which prompted some large, but useless
threads about what is good enough equipment etc.

So hopefully some objectivists will offer an alternative here.
Or some more manageable method of comparison.

What is 'unmanageable' about DBTs? Yes, they are something of a pain
to set up and perform, but would you buy a new car without test
driving several alternatives? Audio is a *hobby* for many contributors
to this forum, and no one questions other hobbyists about how much
trouble they take with their chosen pursuits. Personally, I don't
consider a few days of effort thrown into running DBTs to be much of a
chore when set against the many years of use which I expect to get out
of my chosen components. Of course, for sufferers from audiophilia
nervosa upgraditis (or simple fashion victims!) who just *must* have
the latest toy which has received rave reviews in the ragazines, then
DBTs may well be a pointless exercise.

I recently asked for info on the best accurate amp for some
Soundlabs. No response to speak of so far.

Perhaps because any amp which can put out more than 200 watts, and is
stable into a 2-ohm load, will suffice? Try the excellent Bryston
4BSST, or any of its competitors from Aragon, Adcom, Parasound, Krell
etc.

Yet this is a common
situation one faces. You have some speakers, what amps to
consider. Power levels are reasonably easy to determine. So
what next. Is a large Adcom as good sonically as anything?

The 5802 is indeed a fine amplifier.

If not how do you know, what is a better choice?

Depends what you want. People don't just buy on sound quality - indeed
we can prettty much discount that aspect from the reputable makers.
How do we know this? From conducting DBTs..................

If you wish to buy a CD/SACD/DVD player, are any of them
sonically accurate?

Almost all of them, according to Arny and Tom! Of course, some
self-acclaimed 'high end' models are *deliberately* degraded, in order
to make them sound *different* from 'the common herd'.

Which don't make the cut, and how do
you figure that out? How much even roughly gets you enough
quality not to worry about the quality or accuracy of the signal
the disc player will provide?

I'd peg that at whatever an Arcam CD82 costs. Arny and Tom would go
lower. To be fair, the Sony NS900V is probably as good as anyone will
ever need - and it plays movies too!

Bob Marcus

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message ...

DBT's for normal equipment choices are not very practical.
And there aren't offered good alternatives that I can think of
reading about here.

Good point, but you don't have to do a research-quality DBT to
improve on the usual sighted, long-delay approach. It's not too
challenging to do a blind, level-matched A-B comparison. All it takes
is a friend who knows how to use a voltmeter to set it up for you. You
don't eliminate every possible perceptual bias this way, but you
mitigate a number of them.

Which prompted some large, but useless
threads about what is good enough equipment etc.

Those particular threads were probably worse than useless.

So hopefully some objectivists will offer an alternative here.
Or some more manageable method of comparison.

I recently asked for info on the best accurate amp for some
Soundlabs. No response to speak of so far. Yet this is a common
situation one faces. You have some speakers, what amps to
consider. Power levels are reasonably easy to determine. So
what next. Is a large Adcom as good sonically as anything?
If not how do you know, what is a better choice?

Excellent questions, not easily answered (at least by a non-technical
type like me). Even the question of how much power you need depends on
a lot of factors. The best suggestion I can give is to try the blind
A-B comparison I suggested above. If two amps sound pretty much the
same, they're probably both adequate to the job.

If "adequate" isn't good enough for you, and you want "the best," then
it's going to cost you. You either have to take the trouble to do a
really good ABX test, or invest in the equipment to properly measure
component performance, or both.

If you wish to buy a CD/SACD/DVD player, are any of them
sonically accurate? Which don't make the cut, and how do
you figure that out? How much even roughly gets you enough
quality not to worry about the quality or accuracy of the signal
the disc player will provide?

Maybe some of our engineers can offer a few suggestions for "easy
measurements you can do at home."

bob

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:01:11 GMT, (ludovic
mirabel) wrote:

Mr. Lang said:
[...]

A typical distortion by Mirabel. Bob did *not* complain about Mr
Lang's views in general, he complained *specifically* about the use of
the term 'zealots', which is a highly offensive description.

If the new guidelines will result in a string of complaints
about every figure of speech then I foresee emasculation of this
forum- the only moderate audio forum with any debates at all- to the
blandness level of a textbook.

I believe that is the point. If you have nothing of substance to say,
but can only scream offensive rhetoric, then your posts *should* be
excluded.

I think Mr. Marcus should forget occasionally his well-known
scrupulousness in debate and allow an inoffensive metaphor in. He can
always answer to the subject and in kind. Zealot means a true
believer.

Wrong. The OED definition is 'uncompromising or extreme partisan,
fanatic'. How unsurprising that you would would choose to define it
otherwise, for your own convenience.

Bob Marcus

(Robert Lang) wrote in message news:Vyo6b.374548$o%2.169085@sccrnsc02...

snip

Not to impeach DBTs as a tool for those that want to use and have
access to them but, with respect to cables, I concluded in the 70's,
long before I was aware of dbts in audio, that, for me, there were no
meaningful audible differences among cables I had listened to. I may
be right or wrong about my conclusions, but I don't feel validated or
emboldened because a DBT(s) drew the same conclusion. I expected no
less. Regarding DBT and the high-end salesman, I found it amusing
(Come on. A high-end salesman?), and of only passing interest and of
no practical use to me. I was also not surprised at the results (I
understand that many were surprised or even shocked)

Well, that may be because you have enough of an understanding of how
certain audio components work, and what effects they can plausibly
have, and whether effects of that magnitude are audible. The ones who
were surprised either didn't know, or didn't want to know.

Audiophiles seem
to love to talk about DBts but won't or can't apply them to the real
world of buying/comparing audio equipment for the purposes of
listening to real music.

Now you are contradicting yourself. You said that "all but a
fraction of audiophiles don't care one way or another about DBTs", and
then you said audiophiles love to talk about DBT's. Which is it?

They are not necessarily the same audiophiles. I believe most
audiophiles don't care onw way or the other about DBTs. But there are
other audiophiles that love to talk about the subject. To them I say
its one thing to *talk* about DBTs; it is something much more to
practice what you preach.

No one preaches that you have to use DBTs to choose audio components.
Some of us do argue that you ought to do DBTs before you make any
claims about the audibility of differences.

Even staunch disciples of DBTs that I have
quizzed in this forum over the years don't use DBTs in there audio
equipment purchases even though they may lambast those who believe
DBts to be irrevocably flawed.

Why is that strange? There is a difference between not doing a test for
practical reasons, and saying that the test is flawed. No one has been
lambasted for not doing a DBT.

Not true. Read hundreds of posts, particularly in 2000 and 2001,
lambasting early SACD adoptors for not using DBTs to validate their
opinions. Further, these (most) posters knew that such DBT tests did
not exist and were not likely to ever exist. Yet they used a requisite
for these tests as the linchpin for their arguments in attempts to
discredit SACD adoptors.

My recollection of those posts is somewhat different. No one
"lambasted early adaptors for not validating their opinions." I think
what we were doing (and I think I'm among the ones you mean) was
expressing skepticism about the claims made on the basis of those
opinions and suggesting that they shouldn't be taken as definitive
without more careful comparisons (which I think everyone conceded
would not be trivial to do).

There is a difference between "Until you do a DBT, you're wrong" and
"Until you do a DBT you can't be sure." Unfortunately, sometimes that
distinction isn't clear, and other times you make it clear and it gets
misinterpreted.

bob

Dennis Moore

wrote:

I think you are making one of the most important points.
DBT's for normal equipment choices are not very practical.
And there aren't offered good alternatives that I can think of
reading about here. Which prompted some large, but useless
threads about what is good enough equipment etc.

So hopefully some objectivists will offer an alternative here.
Or some more manageable method of comparison.

What is 'unmanageable' about DBTs? Yes, they are something of a pain
to set up and perform, but would you buy a new car without test
driving several alternatives?

Stewart, I never said unmanageable. I asked for something more
manageable. You comments about unmanageable look like a straw
man. Shame on you Stewart.

Yes, before buying something I likely would test it. But test driving
cars is more like sighted listening than DBT's. You go drive it in
some way similar to how you normally use the car. You aren't likely
to go do skidpad tests for roadholding, drag strip tests for acceleration
and top speed runs for max speed, and fuel economy runs for gas
mileage. You drive it around get the feel of it and see what you think. To
do the other tests like DBT's isn't very practical. It is
possible, just not practical for most people.

DBTs may well be a pointless exercise.

I recently asked for info on the best accurate amp for some
Soundlabs. No response to speak of so far.

Perhaps because any amp which can put out more than 200 watts, and is
stable into a 2-ohm load, will suffice? Try the excellent Bryston
4BSST, or any of its competitors from Aragon, Adcom, Parasound, Krell
etc.

Perhaps, perhaps not. You suggest trying several different brands.
Which doesn't help much at all. I would like to know how to parse
that list some. I might also comment that it takes more than any
amp stable into 2 ohm loads of 200 watts to be accurate which is
what I asked for in the first place. I believe some
of those you mention might have response variations at the speaker
exceeding .1 db meaning they aren't accruate in frequency response.
They may not those all do have pretty output impedance. But I
do know some amps stable into 2 ohm loads do exhibit excessive
frequency response variations.

Depends what you want. People don't just buy on sound quality - indeed
we can prettty much discount that aspect from the reputable makers.
How do we know this? From conducting DBTs..................

Well maybe people don't, but I would like to buy based upon
sound quality. Most bang for the buck. Some equipment has
other convenience aspects. And amps even may have issues
beyond sound quality based upon size or how much waste heat
they produce. But again Stewart, the straw man of what other
people do, rather than answering my question.

Dennis

Dennis Moore

"Robert Lang" wrote in message news:Vyo6b.374548$o%2.
They are not necessarily the same audiophiles. I believe most
audiophiles don't care onw way or the other about DBTs. But there are
other audiophiles that love to talk about the subject. To them I say
its one thing to *talk* about DBTs; it is something much more to
practice what you preach.

I recently said I was changing camps, becoming an objectivist.
And I meant it. But Mr. Lang is asking the same questions I have
and that seem not to be answered here. Do you really do DBT's
for your equipment choices? If not, then you are doing one of
two things I can see. You are looking at some set of specs that
make the DBT unnecessary if so what are they. Or you are taking
it on some sort of faith that DBT's would support your choices, if
so then how are you really deciding on these equipment choices.
You aren't apparently doing DBT's for everything. How do you
know when to bother with a DBT and when not to bother. And it
is a bother to do this type of testing.

I recently was told by Mr. Pinkerton I could get any 200 watt
amp stable into a 2 ohm load and it would suffice for accurate
amplification of my Soundlab speakers.
This is not true. Many amps fitting his description
would make some sound, but fail to be accurate due to frequency
response variations caused by impedance characteristics of the
Soundlab speakers.

So how do you objectivists really choose an objectively accurate
high fidelity piece of equipment for your music reproduction at
home?

It would be helpful if you (or anyone who advocate DBTs) describe your
audio equipment and describe how DBTs factored in your decision for
each component.

Robert C. Lang

I too would find the above descriptions were given. Or has every
one been so polarized here they cannot do this simple thing?

Dennis

Nousaine

(Bob Marcus) wrote:

[...]

"Zealot" is belittlng. I make all my equipment choices based on function,
features followed by price. I include sound quality/tranparency as function. So
is power output. The former is qualified by the lack of any reliable evidence
that any low output impedance ampligfier has ever been shown to have a sonic
signature and the latter is pretty much assured by the FTC standards.

Michael Siemon

In article ,
(Robert Lang) wrote:

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message
(Robert Lang) wrote in message
. net...

It's not that they are not principled
with respect to their belief in DBTs. It's that DBTs are not a
practical tool for even zealots who care about them.

I find the word zealots in this context to be rude, condescending,
belittling and denigrating, and am shocked that the normally competent
moderators have allowed such language to intrude into RAHE.

bob

Well, your interpretation is 180 degrees from what I intended. I'll
take some responsibility for that. There is no question that I
purposely added a bit of spice to my post. Not to be arugumentative,
but to help steer (draw) this particular part of the DBT discussion
toward more usefully *practical* applications and dialog, something
that the "people" can understand, and away from the esoteric, that is
the common denominator of almost all DBT threads. And although the
dictionary clearly backs me up in my use of "zealot", it is probably
stronger that it needed to be to make my point.

Robert C. Lang

This is a reasonably gracious concession, and I grant you some
good will for making it, but I am rather puzzled. As a non-zealot
(by _any_ dictionary definition, no matter how far down you have
to go to avoid the mostly rather nasty innuendo that the term
really _does_ convey), I see the DBT results as _compelling_
evidence for absolute malfeasance on the part of most "high-
end" reviews in Stereophile and elsewhere. I don't need to be
able to conduct DBT tests on the equipment I am planning on
purchasing for this to be true -- though if there _were_ any
store in my area that made ABX component tests possible for
their customers, THAT STORE WOULD GET MY BUSINESS. I absolutely
_loathe_ the uncertainties and dubiousness of comparisons in my
local shops -- despite some of them trying very hard to allow
a "decent" subjective comparison of their offerings. I don't
believe these folks are trying to "con" me -- but I also don't
think they are doing anything but playing to their own biases.

I recently started shopping for upgrades to a rather minimally
adequate, and aging, system -- starting with speakers and going
on to amps and possibly other components. So I started googling
around for "reviews".

It was really quite amazing. Even after forcing myself through
the totally irrelevant self-congratulatory (even masturbational)
prose wherein the reviewer makes _sure_ you know how incredibly
well hung ^h, sorry, how absolutely exquisite and expensive his
(always his, of course -- this _is_ a penis comparison, after
all) "reference" system is, he will go on to make various mostly
indefinable and incoherent comments (almost all positive, with
just a scattering of equally incoherent negatives, mostly in
regards to just how awesome his _real_ penis ^h reference system
is), and getting to the "bottom line" (which essentially always
"recommends" what is being reviewed, at least if you aren't man
enough to buy the reference system), I came down to the curious
question of _why_ there is _never_ a comparison to any other
component in the same price range, even when such have been
reviewed in the last couple of issues by the same reviewer.

That **** is essentially worthless, unless you are so totally
insecure about things that you "need" someone to say a positive
word or two to "justify" your purchase -- and you get this in
a context which is guaranteed to suggest to the insecure that
they should "really" just spend huge amounts of money, instead.

The interconnects thing is _particularly_ important here. A few
references to DBT showing NO differences cuts through a huge
pile of absolute CRAP that is pushed by the "high end" rags.

The amplifier results are (in my own case, as I noted above)
even more to the point for someone like me in the market for
a "competent" amplifier -- when the high-end rags simply push
equivalent bull**** in this arena. I am _not_ disposed to give
any weight to reviewers of amplifiers who seem unaware of how
utterly bogus their whole line of blather comes across as. A
few of them have the grace to distance themselves from the
claims that they nonetheless advance with effectively ZERO
comprehension from the marketing departments of the items they
review.

But at this stage, three or four months into my investigation
-- hell, my SHOPPING -- I have concluded that I get NOTHING of
any value from the "high end" reviews. They might as well not
exist. Indeed, better if they didn't. Once you boil the text
down, and skim off the scum (the reviewer's ego that always
comes to the top), there is nothing left but water. Nothing
of any nourishment or substance whatsoever, except the message
to spend as much money as possible.

ludovic mirabel

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message ...

So how do you objectivists really choose an objectively accurate
high fidelity piece of equipment for your music reproduction at
home?

It would be helpful if you (or anyone who advocate DBTs) describe your
audio equipment and describe how DBTs factored in your decision for
each component.

Robert C. Lang

I too would find the above descriptions were given. Or has every
one been so polarized here they cannot do this simple thing?

Dennis, you *have* been told! By TWO authorities Mr. Marcus shared
his expertise with you on the 6th (message 15).
He shared with you his own shortened version of ABX. Kindly and
without showing a trace of impatience he gave you simple and clear
instructions: First you must search for a friend who will know how to
handle this advanced electronic instrument called VOLTMETER (look it
up!): ( a switch, two terminations, and a dial).
On the other hand Mr. Pinkerton (same day) couldn't see why you or
anyone else shouldn't invest in an ABX switch and get on with the
orthodox ABX protocol.
Both of them omitted one detail: To quote for one example the
local psychometry guru JJ.
("Cable madness" message 128, 2nd. Nov, '01): "While there are some
people who can't learn how to take an ABX test, they are in my
experience uncommon, and most of the rest of the population, allowed
time and training tends to gravitate to consistent results".
He didn;t say how long the training should be (you'd think
different periods for different people).
His background of course was research with an introduced
artefact a verifiable, simple end point. You know it is there, you
either guess right or not.
Quite, quite different from comparing musical reproduction by
different components. How would you know when you were ready? What
should you think if you hear no differences: are you one of the few
who never will learn or should you keep on training? With whom?
No precedents, no "literature" to look up because no proper
research exists. Nothing but Messrs. Marcus and Pinkerton.
Ludovic Mirabel

Snipped text follows:
[...]

Mkuller

"Dennis Moore" wrote:
snip
Do you really do DBT's
for your equipment choices? If not, then you are doing one of
two things I can see. You are looking at some set of specs that
make the DBT unnecessary if so what are they. Or you are taking
it on some sort of faith that DBT's would support your choices, if
so then how are you really deciding on these equipment choices.
You aren't apparently doing DBT's for everything. How do you
know when to bother with a DBT and when not to bother. And it
is a bother to do this type of testing.

snip
So how do you objectivists really choose an objectively accurate
high fidelity piece of equipment for your music reproduction at
home?

It would seem from these discussions that one has a choice of two methods to
use in selecting audio components. If you use sighted listening (as most do)
you may err on the positive side and hear more differences than are really
there. On the other hand, if you use a DBT, you are likely to err on the
negative side and not be able to identify differences that are really there.
Subtle differences will disappear and the components will sound more alike than
different.

The method I personally find most useful is that used by many of the reviewers
in the audiophile press. I listen to a new component in my system for a number
of days, then match the level carefully (with a digital multimeter) and switch
back to my original component. After another day or two, I level match and
switch again. Each time I perform the switch, I use two or three familiar cuts
and take notes. During the longer listening period with each component I
listen to a variety of music played a different levels. This method has
reliably assisted me in identifying components that provides long term
listening satisfaction.
Regards,
Mike

Steven Sullivan

Dennis Moore wrote:
"Robert Lang" wrote in message news:Vyo6b.374548$o%2.
They are not necessarily the same audiophiles. I believe most
audiophiles don't care onw way or the other about DBTs. But there are
other audiophiles that love to talk about the subject. To them I say
its one thing to *talk* about DBTs; it is something much more to
practice what you preach.

I recently said I was changing camps, becoming an objectivist.
And I meant it. But Mr. Lang is asking the same questions I have
and that seem not to be answered here. Do you really do DBT's
for your equipment choices?

Apparently, several proponents of DBTs here *do*. Interesting to
read.

If not, then you are doing one of
two things I can see. You are looking at some set of specs that
make the DBT unnecessary if so what are they. Or you are taking
it on some sort of faith that DBT's would support your choices, if
so then how are you really deciding on these equipment choices.

OR you are acknowledging that what differences you may perceive
between amps, CD players, and cables,
sound-wise, might *not* hold up under DBT ...and you're
confortable living with that *uncertainty* and acknowledging
that *uncertainty* when making claims about what you heard.

Because it's quite possible to spend much more productive time
on things taht *ARE* likely to produce audible difference,
like speaker choice, room treatment and speaker placement,
and exploring digital sound processors.

The endless debates here aren;'t about what tests are done
when buying compoenents; they're about what *claims of audible
difference* are made, and what *support* there is for such
claims.

--
-S.
Nousaine

(Robert Lang) wrote:

...large snips....

chung wrote in message

No one has said that you have to do a DBT to choose equipment.

It's like any other kind of research; most research or deper evaluation is
beyond the capability of end-users but that doesn't mean that the results are
irrelevant to purchase decisons.

For example I will never race a Corvette but from the test results from Car &
Driver and Road & Track know that it's physically faster and better handling
than all but a handful of much more expensive vehicles and that it is EPA rated
at 28 mpg highway. (Just drove to-fro Indianapolis and averaged 31.5 mpg down
and 28 back.)

All this data may be significant to a shopper that has no access to test
facilities and cars to conduct these tests themselves.

OK. I admit to perhaps a fundamental misunderstanding on how
audiophiles can and do employ DBTs (the concept, if not actual tests).
It would be helpful if you (or anyone who advocate DBTs) describe your
audio equipment and describe how DBTs factored in your decision for
each component.

Robert C. Lang

I've purchase over a dozen amplifiers over the past 25 years. All but two were
acquired with regard to published DBT test results. The first two were acquired
before I found any published results. (1980)

With a little inquisitiveness I discover that conducting my own bias controlled
listening tests wasn't that difficult. But in the meantime by 1990 there had
been 2 dozen such tests in the popular audio press.

Of the stable of 10 amplifiers I currently own all of them were purchased on
power capability and a certain feature set (dual banana speaker outs, rca
inputs, level controls, rack handles preferred (for portability)) and price as
qualifiers.

I've subsequently verified that NONE of them have any sound of their own in ABX
tests and other bias-controlled listening experiments.

So 1) the results published prior to1990 wer enough to handle 10 purchase
decisions with NO sound quality penalty and 2) those findings have been
validated in my reference system, other reference systems and usage on a
regular basis in the lab and in the listening room and in the car.

Nousaine

wrote:

[...]

So in your opinion seat-of-the-pants 'feel' is more important than verified
performance evaluation. OK but what if it were shown in the lab/test track that
the cars you were interested in all had the same 0-60, skidpad, EPA mileage,
braking etc. performance except for top speed as tested by an 3rd party lab?

If it were me then I'd pick a top speed and set of features that appealed to
me.And that's exactly HOW I choose amplifiers. Works great, don't you think?
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

I recently asked for info on the best accurate amp for some
Soundlabs. No response to speak of so far.

Perhaps because any amp which can put out more than 200 watts, and is
stable into a 2-ohm load, will suffice? Try the excellent Bryston
4BSST, or any of its competitors from Aragon, Adcom, Parasound, Krell
etc.

Perhaps, perhaps not. You suggest trying several different brands.
Which doesn't help much at all. I would like to know how to parse
that list some.

You miss the point. Any of them will do the job equally well.

I might also comment that it takes more than any
amp stable into 2 ohm loads of 200 watts to be accurate which is
what I asked for in the first place.

You might do, but that doesn't make it true, particularly in the case
of the amps mentioned above.

I believe some
of those you mention might have response variations at the speaker
exceeding .1 db meaning they aren't accruate in frequency response.

I believe they won't.

They may not those all do have pretty output impedance. But I
do know some amps stable into 2 ohm loads do exhibit excessive
frequency response variations.

Not the ones I mentioned above.

Depends what you want. People don't just buy on sound quality - indeed
we can prettty much discount that aspect from the reputable makers.
How do we know this? From conducting DBTs..................

Well maybe people don't, but I would like to buy based upon
sound quality. Most bang for the buck. Some equipment has
other convenience aspects. And amps even may have issues
beyond sound quality based upon size or how much waste heat
they produce. But again Stewart, the straw man of what other
people do, rather than answering my question.

You seem obsessed by the possibility of scoring cheap shots (however
far you have to reach for them), rather than actually reading the
advice you'ce been given. *Any* amp from a reputable maker such as
those listed, which can put out more than 200 watts into 8 ohms, and
is stable into a 2-ohm load, will perform the function you require, if
your criterion is sound quality.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 7 Sep 2003 17:12:21 GMT, "Dennis Moore"
wrote:

I recently was told by Mr. Pinkerton I could get any 200 watt
amp stable into a 2 ohm load and it would suffice for accurate
amplification of my Soundlab speakers.
This is not true.

Aside from the fact that I also specified a list of reputable makers,
how do you that this is not true? Mere assertion is not good proof.

Many amps fitting his description
would make some sound, but fail to be accurate due to frequency
response variations caused by impedance characteristics of the
Soundlab speakers.

How do you know? Have you measured them?

So how do you objectivists really choose an objectively accurate
high fidelity piece of equipment for your music reproduction at
home?

I use a combination of measurements and DBTs.

It would be helpful if you (or anyone who advocate DBTs) describe your
audio equipment and describe how DBTs factored in your decision for
each component.

You have seen my equipment described several times, it's all on
display at http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/

One does not of course use DBTs for speaker choice, since DBTs are for
the revelation of *subtle* differences.