Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.
2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.
3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.
4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.
5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.
Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC

I think the objectivist position is not that CDs are perfect, but that they
are uniformly good.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

No. They are audibly transparent transfers of the "master tapes" (by
which I mean, the very last stage of processing) used to make
them--assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

OK, assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

No, because the phrase "a more accurate representation of the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions" has no meaning here. The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like. If it
doesn't, then they screwed up.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

LPs are never more accurate to the master tape. But "accurate to . .
the original sound of a live recording" has no meaning here. There are
an infinite number of "sounds of a live recording."

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

No. They are simply preferences.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC

Just as one example, I can hear the harmonic quality of intervals in
analog. A fifth on a harpsichord is a beautiful, stable interval, that
makes musical sense in context. On CD, this quality of beauty is lost.

If distortion is what creates this wonderful effect (even though for
some reason this effect resembles live music) then so be it.

It is perfectly possible for even-harmonic distortion to enhance the
harmonies in music.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

MC wrote:
I think the objectivist position is not that CDs are perfect, but that they
are uniformly good.

Or rather, capable of more objectively *accurate* reproduction of the source,
than LP.

--
-S
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison (1788)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

Just one.

Some people prefer beer to burgundy, some people prefer rye to Napoleon
brandy, and some people prefer Twinkies to mousse. Without reference to
which is which, the attempt to disguse what amount to simple
preferences within a bunch of folderol and fancy labels is akin to
elevating preference to some sort of deeply meaningful and important
issue of "right" and "wrong".

Actually, it is of no more significance than the difference between
Cherry-Vanilla and Rocky Road. One picks what one likes.... without the
need to preclude enjoyment of other flavors as well.

If the choice of one flavor excludes all others, it is no longer a
preference but a religion. And religion cannot be discussed with any
meaning amongst non-aligned true-believers. War, sure. Discussion...
not hardly.

Are you a Big Ender or a Little Ender?

(and I have written all of this before)

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

There have been a few changes, such as anti-aliasing filters, but
essentially that is true AFAIK.

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Again, essentially true.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

I doubt that you can find such a thing as a recording that has not been
tweaked. but the end result with a CD is that what is on the master
tape is what is on the CD.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

There seems to be evidence for this idea. It is impossible for
anything to be more accurate than the master tape or the original
recording and I'd be surprised if anybody claiming to be any kind of
objectivist ever said otherwise.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

What else might it be?

Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

Let us know if you will ever concede that LP is iherently inferior to
CD.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 24 Feb 2006 00:43:03 GMT, wrote:

Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

Certainly, they *can* be, and I have some examples from 1983. There
will of course always be plenty of badly-produced CDs - just as with
vinyl in the '70s!

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Manufacturing *can* be at fault, but I'd hope that's a rare occurrence
after 23 years of manufacturing experience. Similarly with modern A/D
converters.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

Yes, that's true.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

Yes, that's true.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

Can't speak for the others, but I believe that the very real audible
differences generate a preference which is based on a combination of
euphonic distortions, mastering differences, and a feeling of
involvement with the mechanical complexity of the medium which is
missing with 'load and press play' CD.

Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

Seems a reasonable analysis, with the caveats given above.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

No. They are audibly transparent transfers of the "master tapes" (by
which I mean, the very last stage of processing) used to make
them--assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

OK. i meant the same thing by signal. but if you wish to refer to the
master tape that is fine. so you agree with that statement so long as
we refer to the master tape itslef rather than the signal. Fine with
me.

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

OK, assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

Which begs the question how many commercial CDs are out there that
suffer from
" manufacturing screw-ups or other incompetence?" So what say you on
this question? Common problem, rare problem not a problem?

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

No, because the phrase "a more accurate representation of the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions" has no meaning here.

Sure it does. It means exacty what it says. Are you suggesting that the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions were and are a nonexistant
entity? I think it's hard to argue that they never had any intentions
as to how their releases will sound.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

If it
doesn't,

If what doesn't? The CD the LP?

then they screwed up.

Who screwed up?

So intentions aside would you agree with the first part of #3
Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate
sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

LPs are never more accurate to the master tape. But "accurate to . .
the original sound of a live recording" has no meaning here.

My bad. I sould have said *the* original sound of *the* live event
that was recorded.

"There are
an infinite number of "sounds of a live recording."

I'm not going to nit pick hyperbole.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

No. They are simply preferences.

I know that preferences are preferences. The question I ask is do you
believe those preferences are more commonly the result of biases rather
than actual sound?
Thank you for your response.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

I doubt that you can find such a thing as a recording that has not been
tweaked. but the end result with a CD is that what is on the master
tape is what is on the CD.

Well, the digital master derived from an analog master tape
can actually end up being rather different from
the original master, if it has been tweaked during remastering.
I doubt today's crop of highly compressed, low-dynamic-range
remasters sound the same as their original master tapes.

To the extent a remaster has been 'tweaked' it represents some
remastering engineer's or producer's idea of how the recording
*should* sound. This might be with reference to an LP, or
to modern fads (e.g. louder than loud), or to the engineer's
personal conception of 'good sound'. They may justify this
by saying they are only 'trying to be faithful to the master'
but that's a bit of malarkey unless the master's actually
*damaged*.

Let us know if you will ever concede that LP is iherently inferior to
CD.

Depending on how terms are defined, that may not be
necessary, or could even be wrong. If part of what gives you pleasure
about LP is the process of using a turntable, a CD will never be
superior.

--
-S
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison (1788)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Dick, I'm just talking about my experience. Sorry if I didn't make that
clear. I can't hear the beauty of intervals on CD. More below....

Just as one example, I can hear the harmonic quality of intervals in
analog. A fifth on a harpsichord is a beautiful, stable interval, that
makes musical sense in context. On CD, this quality of beauty is lost.

I had read this thread and promised to stay far away from it
because, frankly, I have never seen so many strawmen erected in
a single post.

However, I feel I MUST adress this specific point directly. Let
me provide you with a little background so that my response
makes some sense in context.

In 1973, I started studying harpsichord and later went on to
build, restore, tune and repair a number more. I have,
althogether built about 1 dozen such instruments, all but one
generally faithful reproductions of historical examples. I have
also restored and repaired many more, the most recent (last
year) being a major structural rebuild of an early 1970's
Zuckerman 1x8, 1x4 single manual based on the general Ruckers
prototype.

I spent a goodly amount of time (almost a year) in Brussells,
and there was able to gain ready access to the keyboard section
of the Royal Instrument Museum and had a chance to extensively
study, measure and play a number of instruments by the likes of
Hass, Couchet and others. Marvelous instruments all.

Probably the largest single block of music in my collections of
recordings is Baroque keyboard music, and I probably have an
equal number of LPs and CDs in this genre. They all range from
the truly beautiful to the horrifically grotesque.

Let's just say that I believe I speak from a position of some
knowledge on the topic. That mush said, let's look at what I
find objectionable in your comments. You stated:

"A fifth on a harpsichord is a beautiful, stable interval,
that makes musical sense in context."

You state that as if the "beautifully, stable interval [of a]
fifth] is an intrinsic property of the harpsichord which can
only be captured on the LP to your satsisfaction. I will, for
the moment, defer on any response to the LP vs CD issue, but get
to the meat of my point.

The "beautifully stable" fifth is most assuredly NOT an
intrinsic property of harpsichord, any more than it is less so
for a piano or ANY fretted instrument. It is in fact, a property
of the specific TUNING applied to the instrument, and is not a
property of the instrument itself.

Okay, agreed, but the point remains. As you ask later, I do have the
same performance on CD and LP in several cases, including digital and
analog master recordings.

You clearly are an authority on harpsichord building and tuning. My own
experience is in composition and analysis of Bach. I've also hear
numerous recordings of most of his keyboard music.. digital & analog,
piano & harpsichord & keyboard, and I've analyzed a fair bit of it. I
think I'm pretty sensitive to the relationship of the tuning to the
composition.

I'm sure we agree that a tuning provides a beautiful "color,"
(equal-temperament being a bit bland) and a lot of Bach's compositions
make much sense when you hear them in something other than
equal-temperament... the colors "make sense" compositionally...

Listening to his keyboard music on LP is a series of "aha"
experiences.. "Ah, the color of the harmonies meshes with this phrase..
I get it!"

I don't have as extensive a collection of harpsichord music as you, and
I only have the matching CD/LP in 3 cases.

Nonetheless, these Aha! experiences happen *only* on analog recordings.
The "colors" of the harmonies come through *only* on analog. Your
experience may be different. I'm only describing my experience.

It's like eating at Mcdonald's and then at a fine restaurant. Do I have
to eat the exact same dish in both places to make a fair comparison?
No, there are qualities to fine food---freshness, presentation,
contrast of flavors---which are simply non-existent at McDonald's.

My experience.. the same kind of contrast happen with analog and
digital. I'm still waiting for the first CD that comes close to the
beauty and compositional integrity of a good analog recording.

There are any number of tunings in vogue for use with
harpsichords, ranging from equal temperement (which,
interestingly enough, has about the closets to pure fifth
intervals of any practical keyboard tuning scheme) to any number
of just intonations and beyond. They can be applied at the whim
of the performer or the tuner, and can and often are changed to
suit different genres of music. Myself, I generally use one of
the so-called equal-beating temperements, such as Werkmeister
III or Kirnberger, and occasionally try one of the temperements
suggested by Rameau.

That being said, the "purity of the fifths" as you might put it,
indeed the sound of any other interval is there or not there NOT
because it's a harpsichord, but because that's they weay THAT
instrument was tined for THAT performance.

Now, let's go back and address the remainder of your comment:

"I can hear the harmonic quality of intervals in analog. On
CD, this quality of beauty is lost."

If you assume that this "harmonic quality" is an intrinsic
property of the instrument, then I would say this claim might
have some validity. But as it most definitely does not, then I
suggest your opinion is based on noth an assumption and skewed
data. DO you have, for instance, the precise SAME performance
(that is, the very same original recording) on both LP and CD by
which you can make the comparison?

Yup.

Well, in fact, I do, and LOTS of them. Just to give one example:
when I was in Brussells, I picked up the complete set of Kenneth
Gilbert's landmark recordings of the complete Livre de Clavecin
on LP (Harmonia Mundi) originally recorded in 1970-71. Later, I
was able to acquire the Harmonia Mundi 1989 CD release of
precisely the same recordings.

Without a lot of handwaving, let me make a simple statement:
you're wrong.

I can't be wrong about my own experience.

I have an a number of recordings sat down and
listened to to both for extensive periods of time, and the
beauty, the subtlety of the temperment used, Couperin's
exploitation of it, and Gilberts sensitive and brilliant
realization of it shines through equally well on BOTH media.

To your ears. That's all you can say. I would be delighted if CD
possessed this wonderful qualities because it would be a lot more
convenient, but it's just not true for my ears.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Or the short answer to this post:

You know how objectivists are irritated that they are told "You don't
like vinyl because you've never really listened to a good rig?"

This post is an exact parallel. I'm confused about the qualities of
analog because I've never heard good cd's, or never heard the same
music on both.

It's the same red herring in both cases.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006 00:43:03 GMT, wrote:

Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

Certainly, they *can* be, and I have some examples from 1983. There
will of course always be plenty of badly-produced CDs - just as with
vinyl in the '70s!

So are you saying that there are some unkown number of commercial CDs
that have been soncially degraded during the digitaztion/ manufacturing
part of production?

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Manufacturing *can* be at fault, but I'd hope that's a rare occurrence
after 23 years of manufacturing experience. Similarly with modern A/D
converters.

OK so it seems you are saying there is some unknown number of
commercial CDs that have been sonically degraded by the A/D conversion
or manufacturing?

[...]

Thank you.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC

Default Harpsichords; was: The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

wrote in message

The "beautifully stable" fifth is most assuredly NOT an
intrinsic property of harpsichord, any more than it is less so
for a piano or ANY fretted instrument. It is in fact, a property
of the specific TUNING applied to the instrument, and is not a
property of the instrument itself.

I was thinking about that. Das Wohltempierte Klavier and all that, right?

Now, that's not to say that you didn't hear what you claim, just
that it's not for the reason you think. During the 1960's and
70's, recordings where made by performers who were fastidious
about historically authentic tunings. This was during probably
the zenith of the historically -appropriate Baroque keyboard
performance practice. For a lot of reasons, less attention is
often paid to such, with the result that there are a lot of
recrodings out there where these subtle plays of intervals,
deleiberate properties, again, of the tuning and NOT of teh
instrument, are simply lost. And since MOST new classical music
in the last 25 years has been released on CD and not LP, more of
these types of performances are going to find their way on to
CD.

Can you recommend some good harpsichord recordings with fastidious old-style
tuning that have been re-released on CD? I'm interested.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Maybe all we can say is that "high fidelity" means delivering a copy of the
master tapes into the listener's final amplifier stages as faithfully as
possible.

We might. As long as we accept GI-GO as an abiding principle.

Essentially, the reproducing system should neither add nor remove any
artifact(s). The operative word being "should". Some systems do add
artifacts, to the peculiar (in the sense of specific and unique, not
odd) tastes and preferences of its owner.

But between vinyl and CD, all other things being equal, THAT is purely
a matter of taste and preference that does not bear discussion outside
of that designation.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
bob wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Check.

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

OK, assuming no manufacturing screw-ups. or other incompetence.

Which begs the question how many commercial CDs are out there that
suffer from
" manufacturing screw-ups or other incompetence?" So what say you on
this question? Common problem, rare problem not a problem?

Outside my area of expertise. I suspect bad choices at the
mixing/mastering stage are far more common, however.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

No, because the phrase "a more accurate representation of the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions" has no meaning here.

Sure it does. It means exacty what it says. Are you suggesting that the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions were and are a nonexistant
entity? I think it's hard to argue that they never had any intentions
as to how their releases will sound.

But you're using code words that often mean something very different.
The "artists' intentions" often refers to the choices they make in
their musical performance, rather than the choices they (or the
engineers they entrust with the task) make at the mixing/mastering
stage.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

What I had in mind was the idea that the "artists/producer/engineer's
intentions" are whatever's on the master tape. Then we can ask which
medium more accurately reproduces that.

If it
doesn't,

If what doesn't? The CD the LP?

then they screwed up.

Who screwed up?

So intentions aside would you agree with the first part of #3
Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate
sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig.

I'd put it this way: If we have a common 15ips analog "master tape," a
CD made from that tape will sound closer to the tape than an LP made
from that tape. Part of the reason for that, however, is that in order
to make an LP you do have to do some further tweaking first.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

LPs are never more accurate to the master tape. But "accurate to . .
the original sound of a live recording" has no meaning here.

My bad. I sould have said *the* original sound of *the* live event
that was recorded.

That's what I thought you meant. But which original sound? The sound at
the point where the mike(s) are, or at some other point in the room?
What if the mikes are more than 6 inches apart? Then they are picking
up a "sound" that no human being could possibly hear.

"There are
an infinite number of "sounds of a live recording."

I'm not going to nit pick hyperbole.

This may be unnecessary nitpicking. I was just laying the basis for an
objection to an argument I suspect you'll make at some point. But we
can put this aside for now.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

No. They are simply preferences.

I know that preferences are preferences. The question I ask is do you
believe those preferences are more commonly the result of biases rather
than actual sound?

Like Stewart, I suspect there's a combination of factors, and trying to
disaggregate and assign weights to them seems rather pointless. That's
why I said they are simply preferences.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 25 Feb 2006 17:40:25 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006 00:43:03 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

Sure, just as there were lots of rubbish LPs issued in the '70s,
likely still ongoing in the current 'DJ' market. One might of course
have known that your questions lacked a certain impartiality.........

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

Manufacturing *can* be at fault, but I'd hope that's a rare occurrence
after 23 years of manufacturing experience. Similarly with modern A/D
converters.

OK so it seems you are saying there is some unknown number of
commercial CDs that have been sonically degraded by the A/D conversion
or manufacturing?

Sure, just as there were lots of rubbish LPs issued in the '70s,
likely still ongoing in the current 'DJ' market. One might of course
have known that your questions lacked a certain impartiality.........

The essential point is that a well-made CD will be *much* closer to
the sound of the master tape than will a well-made LP. Check out the
JVC XRCD issues of Miles Davis' music for examples.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

MC wrote:
wrote in message ...

Some people prefer beer to burgundy, some people prefer rye to Napoleon
brandy, and some people prefer Twinkies to mousse. ...

That is of course true. Is the goal of "high fidelity" to produce the sound
of the original instruments, or to produce a copy of that sound that is
colored to reflect the hearer's further preferences? And what if the music
was electronically synthesized, so there was never any original sound to
begin with? Then, is it purely a matter of taste how any particular
listener chooses to make it sound?

Maybe all we can say is that "high fidelity" means delivering a copy of the
master tapes into the listener's final amplifier stages as faithfully as
possible.

We at home generally don't deal with the recording and mastering stages
ourselves, but only with playback. Most of us can't know personally
how the master tape sounded in the mastering suite, much less how the live
performance sounded. So we can't even say for sure how 'faithful' the
reproduction of is. We can't know in fine detail how it's 'supposed
to ' sound. Thus for the vast majority of listeners, 'high
fidelity' as a hobby comes down to reaching for what they *believe*
the 'right sound' is. And the 'right sound' ends up being, of course,
'what sounds good to me'. Lots of audiophiles then make the leap backwards
to : 'this is the way it's *supposed to* sound'. ;

--
-S
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison (1788)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

You know what, I'm really glad to meet another Baroque harpsichord
music enthusiast. Let's not let a disagreement about the preferred
format come between us.

I can see that you are very knowledgeable about harpsichord
construction and tuning. I have no doubt that if we sat down to listen
to a CD together, you would point out many subtleties and I would be
quite enlightened.

My collection is focused on Gustav Leonhardt playing Bach. I love his
Goldberg Variations, which I have on Musical Heritage Society 512400Z.
Alas, I have this only on CD. I believe this is a 1965 performance. I
have an earlier performance on LP (Vanguard SRV-175 SD) but my goodness
did he grow in subtlties between these. I love Leonhardt's use of
rhythm, his subtle timing variations in the beat, the way he can bring
out a feeling quality in a line while at the same time you are hardly
aware of exactly what he's doing with timing.

I have Leonhardt's French Suites, Inventions, and Sinfonias on Seon
LP's. These are the clearest examples of when I can hear qualities of
intervals that I have never heard on CD.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
Dick, I'm just talking about my experience. Sorry if I didn't make that
clear.

Thank you for this clarification.

I have an a number of recordings sat down and
listened to to both for extensive periods of time, and the
beauty, the subtlety of the temperment used, Couperin's
exploitation of it, and Gilberts sensitive and brilliant
realization of it shines through equally well on BOTH media.

To your ears. That's all you can say. I would be delighted if CD
possessed this wonderful qualities because it would be a lot more
convenient, but it's just not true for my ears.

The distortions of LP can be pleasant in the same sense that a certain
degree of randomness is necessary to make a musical sound. This is why
electronic organs fail miserably in comparison to pipes: i.e. they don't
have the randomess that a mass of pipes in 3 dimensional acoustic space have,
and technically, this is 'distortion.' (for lack of a better term in this
context) Simularly, saying that fifth's on harpsichords are a
stable interval ignores the fact that in tuning, one tunes the beats
produced immediately after the pluck, not to the after ring, which has more
inharmonicity, and thus is part of the 'randomness' I mentioned that makes a
musical sound more interesting. Since all reproduced music is sadly lacking
in realism and musicality compared to a live acoustic event, some people prefer
to add random-like distortions to their setup as a compromise. Frankly, I'm
sick to death of claims or insinuations that these approaches to music
reproduction are 'more accurate' with any qualifying conditional statements
by the person making them. It's just a civilized courtesy to do so.

The said approach is also very unweildy in the sense that the user has
quite limited and relatively imprecise control over how a system behaves.
I gave up on it because assuming a reproduction system is a musical instrument
might be good for one handful (at best) of recordings, but terrible for another
and I'm not content to listen only to recordings that might have the best sound,
(i.e. the 'audio quality') most of which IME have mediocre performances.
What's the point of that for those interested primarilly in the music? DSP
correction (i.e. fancy tone controls) are a very nice compromise for this
problem in sort of the same sense that temperaments are a compromise, and since
all audio systems are pretty large compromises, I feel it's a bit silly to
focus on perfection for a few recordings. What's the point other than a
'mine is bigger than yours' attitude?

FYI, the latest offering on Bach temperaments to my knowledge is he

http://www.larips.com

There is also Hermann Keller's work, but it doesn't appear to be up on the
web since his passing, but maybe I missed it. Owen Jorgensen's work also
has some good practical points, but it has been criticized for the lack of
precision in its approach by those who prefer analyzing temperaments
mathematically, a perspective that has considerable merit.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Skeeter

Hi Scott,
I am neither a full blooded subjectivist, nor objectivist. I tend to
believe what I subjectively experience, from an objective perspective.
So this may be a little mixed.

wrote:
Perhaps a beaten horse but still a hot topic. Before going into my
views on the subject v. the views of objectivists I would like to pose
some of my impressions about objectivist views to objectivists. Just to
get a fair representation of those views I would like to hear from
objectivists on the accuracy of my impressions
. It is my impression that
1. objectivists believe that commerical CDs from thier intorduction to
the market place to the present are audibly transparent transfers of
the signal used to make them.

***Perhaps true for some narrow minded objectivists that listen with
statistical studies, calculators, D/A analysis, and algorithm
comparisons, etc... Being open minded, I would comment that it is
truly rare to find anything; either analogue or digital, that is
absolutely "audibly transparent".

2. Objectivists blame any faults of commercial CD sound to the poor
quality of the original recordings or bad choices made by mastering
engineers but never blame the actual digital conversion or
manugfacturing of those CDs.

***This is a fair criticism, and likely correct in many cases.
However, audio digital conversion is mainly a mathmatical approximation
of an analogue audio occurance. Although the technology is
mathmatically accurate, it cannot be perfect. No doubt that there
would exist possible issues with poor process and quality control of CD
manufacturing as well.

3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

***Tough one here. To cut a master on a lathe, the signal needs to be
tweaked a bit to satify the RIAA equalization requirements. For a CD,
this would not be necessary (I think). In terms of non-tweaking "what
you hear is what you get", I think that the CD should get the nod as
the more foolproof provider of the master. On the other hand, when a
master is cut on a lathe, there is sometime much involvement from the
recording engineers, producer, and occasionally the artist(s).
Successful tweaking at this stage of the analogue process may bring the
finished product closer yet to the intent of the people involved with
the production.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

***Probably a good portion of truth here as well. The analogue
recording and reproduction signal chain is more vulnerable to pollution
and degradation than digital. Especially at the end-user side. The
variety of turntables, plinths, mats, belts, motors, tonearms, wiring
capacitance, cartridges/stylii, tracking setups, preamps, etc... it is
incredible. There rightly are some combinations of variables that have
less influence, colouration, distortion, and occasionaly combinations
of complementary issues that help cancel each other, or minimise ill
effects on the resulting fidelity.

***There are of course many analogue recordings that were manufactured
using the direct-to-disc method. This skips out much of the inherent
pollution from tape and post recording mastering. In my opinion, this
is the best analogue method for accuracy and spontaneity available.
Always live, no overdubs, this can capture a live performance with
excetional accuracy. A very short signal chain that is all analogue.
Very demanding of performers and engineers however.

***There are older recordings that are better represented on vinyl than
CD however. You must, or course own a pressing made from the master
tape when the master tape was new. The pressing, if not overplayed and
stored/maintained properly will not degrade with time. The master tape
does degrade over time. Many CD remasterings have to work with tired,
degraded master tapes that simply have lost informantion, frequency
response issues, and increased noise. It would have been great if
engineers would have saved a pristine set of mothers that were never
used to make pressings.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.
Let me know if I am making any misrepresentations of objectivists
beliefs on this subject.

***Yes, this is correct. It doesn't make it universally true in all
cases, but the great majority... yes.

Cheers,
Skeeter.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
3. Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig and thus
will offer a more accurate representation of the artists/producer/
engineer's intentions as well as a more accurate reproduction of the
master.

No, because the phrase "a more accurate representation of the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions" has no meaning here.

Sure it does. It means exacty what it says. Are you suggesting that the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions were and are a nonexistant
entity? I think it's hard to argue that they never had any intentions
as to how their releases will sound.

But you're using code words that often mean something very different.

No. there is nothing ambiguous about the word "intentions."

The "artists' intentions" often refers to the choices they make in
their musical performance, rather than the choices they (or the
engineers they entrust with the task) make at the mixing/mastering
stage.

But we aren't talking about that we are talking about sound. We are
talking about which one would the artists/producer/engineers say 'yeah
that one sounds more like what we were trying to do than that other
one." There is no trickery going on here.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

What I had in mind was the idea that the "artists/producer/engineer's
intentions" are whatever's on the master tape. Then we can ask which
medium more accurately reproduces that.

That question was addressed seperately. If you don't feel comfortable
saying that commerical CDs that have not ben tampered with by the
mastering engineer are a better epresentation than the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions then feel free to say so. You
can say yes, no sometimes yes somethims no, or I don't really know or
have an opinion. I just want to get an understanding of what *you*
believe.

If it
doesn't,

If what doesn't? The CD the LP?

then they screwed up.

Who screwed up?

So intentions aside would you agree with the first part of #3
Objectivists believe that CDs in the cases that no tweaking has been
done by the mastering engineers always present a more accurate
sounding
version of that master than any LP played back on any TT rig.

I'd put it this way: If we have a common 15ips analog "master tape," a
CD made from that tape will sound closer to the tape than an LP made
from that tape. Part of the reason for that, however, is that in order
to make an LP you do have to do some further tweaking first.

OK that clarifies your belief. thank you.

4. Objectivists believe the often cited preference for LPs to CDs when
not a result of mastering differences is often the result of euphonic
colorations inherent in LPs as a medium and that while some may like
them they are never more accurate to the master tape or even the
original sound of a live recording.

LPs are never more accurate to the master tape. But "accurate to . .
the original sound of a live recording" has no meaning here.

My bad. I sould have said *the* original sound of *the* live event
that was recorded.

That's what I thought you meant. But which original sound? The sound at
the point where the mike(s) are, or at some other point in the room?
What if the mikes are more than 6 inches apart? Then they are picking
up a "sound" that no human being could possibly hear.

True but a recording engineer does step into the room and listen and
then goes back and listens to the monitors. so I would say from the
reference perspective of the recording engineers.

"There are
an infinite number of "sounds of a live recording."

I'm not going to nit pick hyperbole.

This may be unnecessary nitpicking. I was just laying the basis for an
objection to an argument I suspect you'll make at some point. But we
can put this aside for now.

5. Objectivists believe the primary source of preferences for LPs over
CDs by vinyl enthusiasts is mostly a result of biases.

No. They are simply preferences.

I know that preferences are preferences. The question I ask is do you
believe those preferences are more commonly the result of biases rather
than actual sound?

Like Stewart, I suspect there's a combination of factors, and trying to
disaggregate and assign weights to them seems rather pointless. That's
why I said they are simply preferences.

OK so you offer no opinion on the source of vinyl enthusiasts'
preference. Fair enough and thanks for your clarifications.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
MC wrote:

[...]

That is the most intelligent thing I've heard anybody say for several days.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
You know what, I'm really glad to meet another Baroque harpsichord
music enthusiast. Let's not let a disagreement about the preferred
format come between us.

Actually, I have no "preferred format," only preferred results.

[...]

Well, your revelations are telling. Much of Leonhardt's recordings paid
little attention to the subleties of temperements and I find them, in
fact
quite bland and boring, be they CD's or LP's. In short, he is not be
preferred performer. I find him while virtuostic, he's dry, academic
and somewhat soulless.

Try finding the Bach Inventions and Sinfonias (aka, the two-part and
three-part inventions) performed by Gilbert on Archiv. Much better
instrument, better tuning, better performance, better everything.

See if you can find Gabe Weiners CDs on the PGM label, two come
to mind: The Buxtehude project Vol II: Harpsichord music and
Ricerca Keyboard music in Germany before Bach. I find both to
have all those lush qualities that many LP enthusiasts wax on about.
Both recordings are on better instruments with better tuning and
better recording and mastering than anything Leonhardt did, and I
find the performance far more engaging and less, well, "academic."

And see if the Couperin by Gilbert is still around: it's reletaively
unknown to the listening pubic and represents a genre of work
that's very different: collections of pieces that are as much little
minitures or caricatures, many of them playful, some sarcastic,
a few very biting, of life in the pre-revolutionary French Court.

And there's lots of stuff out there performed by Sylvia Marlow
which is junk. I have most of the LP's she did and I think she
is a good performer, but the recordings are almost uniformly
dreadful enough that I don't care to even try to find out for sure.

And avoid anything by Wanda Landowska: the instrument she
played (essentially a plucking Pleyel Piano), how she played
and all is so far removed from the literature that I find here stuff
almost farcical. This despite her lofty reputation as a founding
"diva" of the modern harpsichord revival.

And, as an aside, the appropriate tunings for the literature, in
fact, have less pure fifths than equal temperement. They are
generally more compromised than equal temperement in
exchange to FAR better tunings of the major thirds, sixths
and simialr intervals that in equal temperement, are just plain
disonant. This is one reason why I focused on your comment
about the "purit6y and beauty of the fifths" as a telling indication
that you've clued into something that is not right. And your further
comments about the older Leonhardt recordings seem to make
it all make more sense.

We'll make a proper clavicinista out of you yet.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Dick, I'm just talking about my experience. Sorry if I didn't make that
clear.

Thank you for this clarification.

I have an a number of recordings sat down and
listened to to both for extensive periods of time, and the
beauty, the subtlety of the temperment used, Couperin's
exploitation of it, and Gilberts sensitive and brilliant
realization of it shines through equally well on BOTH media.

To your ears. That's all you can say. I would be delighted if CD
possessed this wonderful qualities because it would be a lot more
convenient, but it's just not true for my ears.

You have some interesting theories here.

A thought I've had: could we say that the ear/brain system is highly
tuned to the types of sounds which normally occur in nature, and can
recognize sounds which, in some way, don't correspond to natural
occurances?

For example, a hobby of mine is digital sound synthesis. Using a
program called Csound, I write digital "instruments". some of them are
meant to imitate real acoustic instruments, while others are purely
electronic-sounding. A guy named Perry Cook is leading the way in
digital modeling of acoustic instruments, and Csound incorporates some
of his models.

Anyway, I've had a chance to play with these digital instruments, and
in particular notice what types of sounds seem "real" and which seem
"electronic" (not like something occuring in the physical world). I've
noticed a few things. Tonal balance needs to be right. Some sounds have
too much highs or too little highs.. they don't sound like something
that could occur physically. Humans have an intuition about natural
events, like two things bonking together. You are going to hear a lot
of high frequencies when two rocks hit each other, but not *too* much
high frequencies.

Just as you mention, putting several copies of an instrument together,
and detuning them slightly especially with random tuning fluctuations,
makes a much richer sound that resembles something real.

Nevertheless, this effect never gets away from an "artificial sound."
Listen to a recording of a real instrument and Wow! you know right away
you are listening to a real thing, and that the electronic sounds are
not like something in the physical world.

Consider artificial reverberation generators. The simplest ones sound
fake. The more complex ones sound pretty good, but I haven't heard one
that fools me into thinking these sounds are taking place inside a real
room.

And this is not surprising.. real rooms and concert halls are far too
complex to model digitally (the impulse response and convolution is one
possibility but still not a complete model).

The distortions of LP can be pleasant in the same sense that a certain
degree of randomness is necessary to make a musical sound. This is why
electronic organs fail miserably in comparison to pipes: i.e. they don't
have the randomess that a mass of pipes in 3 dimensional acoustic space have,
and technically, this is 'distortion.' (for lack of a better term in this
context)

What's interesting to me about an organ in 3 dimensional acoustic
space, is that it is a complex system, but a physical one. I don't
think 'random' or 'distortion' is a good term here. That's because when
you add randomness to electronic sounds, you don't get "real-sounding"
sounds. You get richer sounds, yes, but you don't come anywhere close
to crossing that real/artifical divide. I suspect that's because the
ear/brain knows pretty well what complexity results from real (complex)
physical models, and what complexity has been inserted after the fact
via some algorithm.

Consider audio: it's an illusion in that it doesn't recreate the same
soundfield (two channel, anyway), and it tries to portray several
instruments scattered in space, but in reality all the sounds are
coming from some paper/cloth/whatever cones positioned on the left and
right side. Perhaps this is one reason we can't be completely fooled.

Simularly, saying that fifth's on harpsichords are a
stable interval ignores the fact that in tuning, one tunes the beats
produced immediately after the pluck, not to the after ring, which has more
inharmonicity, and thus is part of the 'randomness' I mentioned that makes a
musical sound more interesting. Since all reproduced music is sadly lacking
in realism and musicality compared to a live acoustic event, some people prefer
to add random-like distortions to their setup as a compromise.

Okay, that's one theory.. that we prefer analog because it adds
random-like distortion. But what's curious is that you can easily find
recording engineers who spend a lot of time in concert halls, then make
recordings of those same performances, in both digital and analog
form.. so they have plenty of experience with the choices involved..
and for their ears, analog is a better representation of the musical
event, as a fairly clear general trend.

And as I said above, "randomness" doesn't make things real.. it makes
them more complex, but I think a better word for what you are
describing is "complex" -- that is, complex, but very real, physical
models. The after ring is not random, it is the consequence of a real,
and complex, physical system acting as it acts.

I can tell you from experience that adding random fluctuations of
frequency to a sustained tone or interval does *not* make it sound
real. It sounds richer, yes, but not real.

Perhaps the fact that analog is a complex and physical system adds just
the right kind of distortion. (as opposed to digital models)

Frankly, I'm
sick to death of claims or insinuations that these approaches to music
reproduction are 'more accurate' with any qualifying conditional statements
by the person making them. It's just a civilized courtesy to do so.

If you accept that different people are listening for different things,
then ALL statements about the ability of an audio system to create
authentic reproductions of sound are *relative* to what that person
listens for. I know you would like qualitifications, but they really
aren't necessary. Every single statement anyone makes about what audio
systems best reproduce musc, is truest to the orignal---in short, is
"accurate"---has an implicit qualification, "Relative to what I listen
for."

The said approach is also very unweildy in the sense that the user has
quite limited and relatively imprecise control over how a system behaves.
I gave up on it because assuming a reproduction system is a musical instrument
might be good for one handful (at best) of recordings, but terrible for another
and I'm not content to listen only to recordings that might have the best sound,

The curious thing is that for some of us, using analog means is not
unweildy.. it is not an attempt to create distortions that compensate
for flaws in recordings.. it is simply the best way to reproduce music.

(i.e. the 'audio quality') most of which IME have mediocre performances.
What's the point of that for those interested primarilly in the music? DSP
correction (i.e. fancy tone controls) are a very nice compromise for this
problem in sort of the same sense that temperaments are a compromise, and since
all audio systems are pretty large compromises, I feel it's a bit silly to
focus on perfection for a few recordings. What's the point other than a
'mine is bigger than yours' attitude?

I would really like to hear a CD processed through DSP such that it
sounds like analog. That would be wonderful. I'm also going to be
making CD-R recordings of some of my records, so we'll see.
Mike

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

A couple of glaring errors in my post, sorry for them:

claims or insinuations that these approaches to music
reproduction are 'more accurate' with any qualifying conditional statements
by the person making them.

Should read 'without any qualifying statements...'

(perhaps an obvious error, but offensive if taken literally as written)

There is also Hermann Keller's work...

That's Herbert Kellner

Organbuilder John Brombaugh, who I apprenticed with, used this temperament in
the last part of his career.

This temperament can be viewed at:

http://www.music.indiana.edu/som/pia...ts/5thkwt.html

and articles:

Http://homepages.bw.edubachbib/scrip...%20Herbert%20A
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

You know what, I'm really glad to meet another Baroque harpsichord
music enthusiast. Let's not let a disagreement about the preferred
format come between us.

Actually, I have no "preferred format," only preferred results.

Right. I have a preferred format though, but I am interested in your
suggestions.

[...]

Come now... these "revelations" don't tell you about how I experience
analog vs. digital. There are two issues here.. how my ears experience
analog and digital, and how much I know about tunings.

My comment about the fifth was perhaps not the best way to express what
I was thinking. The character of ALL intervals, and especially their
functional relationship to the composition, come through more clearly
on analog (to my ears).

Whether Leonhardt uses the most authentic and/or beautiful tunings is
not relevant. Whatever tunings he does use, they sound better on
analog.. and in fact NO cd I've heard has EVER come close to portraying
intervals with the integrity of an analog recording.

The comment about the fifth came because I was thinking of the fugue in
C major from WTC I, which has a part where the left hand moves though
some intervals and lands on a fifth. On analog, I heard the
compositional "sense" of this passage clearly for the first time.
Perhaps it had more to do with the intervals in the right hand, so in
that sense mentioning the fifth was inappropriate.

Much of Leonhardt's recordings paid
little attention to the subleties of temperements and I find them, in
fact
quite bland and boring, be they CD's or LP's. In short, he is not be
preferred performer. I find him while virtuostic, he's dry, academic
and somewhat soulless.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... I don't find him "dry, academic" at all.. and
as far as "soulless," that's just bizarre to me. His earlier Goldbergs
I have on Vanguard, perhaps can be described this way. But his 1965
Goldbergs is everything but soulless, and so is every other recording I
have by him.

There never is accounting for taste...

Try finding the Bach Inventions and Sinfonias (aka, the two-part and
three-part inventions) performed by Gilbert on Archiv. Much better
instrument, better tuning, better performance, better everything.

Well, okay I will see if I can locate this recording and the ones
below.

[...]

Yeah, I once owned a cd by Landowska which I sold later on Ebay.

By the way, do you have an opinion on a good WTC book II?

And, as an aside, the appropriate tunings for the literature, in
fact, have less pure fifths than equal temperement. They are
generally more compromised than equal temperement in
exchange to FAR better tunings of the major thirds, sixths
and simialr intervals that in equal temperement, are just plain
disonant. This is one reason why I focused on your comment
about the "purit6y and beauty of the fifths" as a telling indication
that you've clued into something that is not right.

As I said, what was behind the comment was my memory of WTC I fugue in
C major, and perhaps it was the other intervals that were creating my
experience of the piece. Certainly I don't know much about tunings, so
I didn't use the right words in expressing it; however, my experience
about analog and digital stands.

And I know when a tuning is beautiful and makes sense compositionally.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

Google phrases like "musicians' intentions" on audio sites and you will
see plenty of ambiguity--all from the subjectivist side, of course. If
you mean something specific by it, you are going to have to tell us
what that is.

The "artists' intentions" often refers to the choices they make in
their musical performance, rather than the choices they (or the
engineers they entrust with the task) make at the mixing/mastering
stage.

But we aren't talking about that we are talking about sound. We are
talking about which one would the artists/producer/engineers say 'yeah
that one sounds more like what we were trying to do than that other
one." There is no trickery going on here.

Well, that's what I'm talking about. Glad to hear it's what you're
talking about, too. So we can agree that the master tape represents the
true intentions of the artists/producer/engineers, right? And the only
remaining question is, which medium better preserves the sound of that
master tape.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

What I had in mind was the idea that the "artists/producer/engineer's
intentions" are whatever's on the master tape. Then we can ask which
medium more accurately reproduces that.

That question was addressed seperately.

I hadn't seen you address it previously. If you agree with it, say so.
If not, explain.

If you don't feel comfortable
saying that commerical CDs that have not ben tampered with by the
mastering engineer are a better epresentation than the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions then feel free to say so. You
can say yes, no sometimes yes somethims no, or I don't really know or
have an opinion. I just want to get an understanding of what *you*
believe.

I believe that the master tape represents the intentions of its
producers, and that CD better preserves the sound of that master tape
than LP. What more do you want?

[...]

"Reference perspective" is an oxymoron. A personal perspective cannot
be a reference, because it isn't fixed. What we heard yesterday and
what we now think we heard yesterday are two different things. (That
aside, do you not care what the performers themselves think?) The only
clear indication we have of anyone's perspective is what winds up on
that master tape.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

bob, the intentions of musicians will never be hard science. But if you
pick up an instrument, practice very hard for 20 years, pay careful
attention to sound and musical structure, and peform a piece with the
intention of using sound qualities to bring about a desired effect, the
term will be more concrete.

Furthermore, if you listen to musicians with this same careful ear,
then get involved in recording them and evaluating the records re how
clear the desired patterns come through, the term will be more
concrete.

Music is not hard science---right?

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

Well, actually no but I will get into that when I lay down *my* views
on the subject.

And the only
remaining question is, which medium better preserves the sound of that
master tape.

No,IMO the questions are which *have* done a better job of it, is that
the best option for a given recording.

The
"artists/producer/engineer's intentions" are presumably to put out a
recording that sounds like what the recording sounds like.

They don't put out "recordings" they put out CDs and LPs of recordings.
So the statement that there intentions are to put out "recording that
sounds lik what the recording sounds like" has no meaning in this
context.

What I had in mind was the idea that the "artists/producer/engineer's
intentions" are whatever's on the master tape. Then we can ask which
medium more accurately reproduces that.

That question was addressed seperately.

I hadn't seen you address it previously. If you agree with it, say so.
If not, explain.

I think the questions have to remain seperate. Whether or not i agree
with it I will get into later.

If you don't feel comfortable
saying that commerical CDs that have not ben tampered with by the
mastering engineer are a better epresentation than the
artists/producer/engineer's intentions then feel free to say so. You
can say yes, no sometimes yes somethims no, or I don't really know or
have an opinion. I just want to get an understanding of what *you*
believe.

I believe that the master tape represents the intentions of its
producers, and that CD better preserves the sound of that master tape
than LP. What more do you want?

Well, i find the first half of your answer quite direct and completely
relevant to my assertions on the objectivists POV. I find the second
half a bit dodgey. I am not talking about what CDs and LPs can do but
what has actually been done. "CD better preserves the sound of that
master tape than LP" is IMO a substantially different claim then
"Commercial CDs have preserved the sound of master tapes provided no
tinkering has been done with the master tape better than LPs have
regardless of the playback equipment." The difference is the first is
not refering to real world instances and the second is. And it is the
real world availablity of commercial CDs and LPs that the audiophile
has to deal with.

[...]

I quite disagree with you here. Jut because a reference isn't perfectly
precise doesn't mean it is nonexistant.

What we heard yesterday and
what we now think we heard yesterday are two different things.

Quite irrelevant to the perspective of a recording engnineer doing his
job on the day.

(That
aside, do you not care what the performers themselves think?)

Depends on the performers and the recording engineer. But all peformers
are going to hear of a live peformance for a recording session is
playback. What say so they should have is highly situational. The value
of their opinion is likewise.

The only
clear indication we have of anyone's perspective is what winds up on
that master tape.

I'll give you my take on that when I spell out my beliefs on the whole
topic. But let's just say for now i think it is again highly
situational.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE---

This has been brought up before but I will be more specific. An LP MUST
be equalized to the RIAA curve. All decent playback systems will insert
the reciprocal RIAA curve. If the LP is not so equalized, it will not
sound right when played back. Also, stereo LPs have the bass channels
combined to mono to prevent the cutter from bottoming on heavy bass.
These modifications are not necessary when producing a CD. This means
that the LP cutting master can't possibly be identical to the master
tape for a CD.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

Oh, is that what this is about? Something made me think you were
talking about the *accuracy* of CDs and LPs. Like the title of your
thread?

I am.

Not exactly truth in advertising, I'd say.

Why? Because I was talking about actual real world commercially
released Lps and Cds? You know, the things we actually listen to?

In that case, I think I'll just take a pass on *your* views, then.

Fine with me.

can't imagine anything less interesting than your opinion about the
quality of commercially available CDs.

Really? You'd rather argue about theoretical capacities than discuss
the qualities of real world commercial releases? How does that help you
as an audiophile? Does it make a lousy sounding CD sound better to you
to think about how many bits the format has?

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

---MIKE--- wrote:
This has been brought up before but I will be more specific. An LP MUST
be equalized to the RIAA curve.

I'm not sure why you are rying to be more specific. I already know
that.

All decent playback systems will insert
the reciprocal RIAA curve.

Actually they all will insert some form of EQ with a reciprical EQ in
the phono stage of the preamp. Decent or not.

If the LP is not so equalized, it will not
sound right when played back.

If? You know of any that are not?

Also, stereo LPs have the bass channels
combined to mono to prevent the cutter from bottoming on heavy bass.

Most, not all.Not that i see this as a big issue.

These modifications are not necessary when producing a CD. This means
that the LP cutting master can't possibly be identical to the master
tape for a CD.

But it can and many are. Sometimes for ambitious reasons sometimes for
the wrong reasons.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
chung

bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

thread? Not exactly truth in advertising, I'd say.

In that case, I think I'll just take a pass on *your* views, then. I
can't imagine anything less interesting than your opinion about the
quality of commercially available CDs.

bob

If the discussion is about real world availability of commercial CD's
and LP's that the audiophile has to deal with (and not about accuracy of
the media and the underlying technologies), that it should be a short
discussion. In the real world, almost all new music performances are on
CD's. Only a tiny minority is available on LP's. Not much sense in
comparing, since if you want to listen to those new performances, you're
stuck with listening to CD's.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

A thought I've had: could we say that the ear/brain system is highly
tuned to the types of sounds which normally occur in nature, and can
recognize sounds which, in some way, don't correspond to natural
occurances?

You're basically talking about training, which can be formal or informal.

Well, actually I'm considering whether the "training" we all receive by
growing up as human beings, not to mention the genetic wiring of our
brains, means we are attuned to the kinds of sounds which occur in
"nature".. that is, the kinds of sounds which were normal and
commonplace during our evolution.

Then I'm looking at audio reproduction, and wondering if things like
the distortion caused by speakers, or the resonances, vibrations, and
distortions of vinyl, would be perceived as "natural" sounds, or not.

For example, a hobby of mine is digital sound synthesis. Using a
program called Csound, I write digital "instruments". some of them are
meant to imitate real acoustic instruments, while others are purely
electronic-sounding. A guy named Perry Cook is leading the way in
digital modeling of acoustic instruments, and Csound incorporates some
of his models.

I know about Perry's work. In fact, I used to sing right next to him in a
church choir while he was a doctoral student at Stanford. He sings a
wonderful bass.

Neat! He sure is a master of the math. I have one of his books. A
great explanation of the math.

Anyway, I've had a chance to play with these digital instruments, and
in particular notice what types of sounds seem "real" and which seem
"electronic" (not like something occuring in the physical world). I've
noticed a few things. Tonal balance needs to be right. Some sounds have
too much highs or too little highs.. they don't sound like something
that could occur physically. Humans have an intuition about natural
events, like two things bonking together. You are going to hear a lot
of high frequencies when two rocks hit each other, but not *too* much
high frequencies.

I've never been fooled by these synthetic systems, but they are fun.
If enough could be controlled, perhaps I would, but it's not there yet
and may never be. But that is not terribly germane to a REproduction of
an acoustic event. I thought that's what the subject was here.

Yeah, the subject (for me anyway) is what makes a reproduction sound
more real or natural than another one.

Just as you mention, putting several copies of an instrument together,
and detuning them slightly especially with random tuning fluctuations,
makes a much richer sound that resembles something real.

Nevertheless, this effect never gets away from an "artificial sound."
Listen to a recording of a real instrument and Wow! you know right away
you are listening to a real thing, and that the electronic sounds are
not like something in the physical world.

I'm not so sure about that. Some organs I've heard are so hiddeous
that I might prefer an good electronic counterfeit, because I swore they
sounded like an electronic until I found out it was pipes buried in a
distant chamber and so there was little actual effect of pipes in 3 dimensional
space. I thought this discussion was about better quality than that.

What's interesting to me about an organ in 3 dimensional acoustic
space, is that it is a complex system, but a physical one. I don't
think 'random' or 'distortion' is a good term here. That's because when
you add randomness to electronic sounds, you don't get "real-sounding"
sounds. You get richer sounds, yes, but you don't come anywhere close
to crossing that real/artifical divide. I suspect that's because the
ear/brain knows pretty well what complexity results from real (complex)
physical models, and what complexity has been inserted after the fact
via some algorithm.

Words fail, but those terms were used freely by John Brombaugh when I
worked for him to describe these effects. He's arguably themost infuential
organ builder in the last 35 years who received several patents designing
electronic organs before he gave up in frustration in order to build
historically inspired tracker instruments. Arguing about semantics isn't
productive. Use the Google to find out more about him and his many
associates that started their own workshops after learning from him.

I don't see this as a semantic argument. Two posts above you wrote
this:

The distortions of LP can be pleasant in the same sense that a certain
degree of randomness is necessary to make a musical sound. This is why
electronic organs fail miserably in comparison to pipes: i.e. they
don't
have the randomess that a mass of pipes in 3 dimensional acoustic space
have,
and technically, this is 'distortion.' (for lack of a better term in
this
context) Simularly, saying that fifth's on harpsichords are a
stable interval ignores the fact that in tuning, one tunes the beats
produced immediately after the pluck, not to the after ring, which has
more
inharmonicity, and thus is part of the 'randomness' I mentioned that
makes a
musical sound more interesting.

You are talking about what sounds pleasant and suggesting that LP
sounds pleasant for reasons having to do with the distortion. I'm
interested in this idea.. and I'm simply pointing out that different
physical systems will be perceived differently. I'm also pointing out
that these systems (an acoustic space, or a harpsichord string) have
very complex behavior, but this behavior occurs as the spinning out of
a physical system acting according to phsycial laws. I'm curious to
know if this kind of system corresponds to anything we evolved to
detect.. or is it something totally new?

If the distortions of LP correspond to systems we evolved to detect,
perhaps that explains why they are "pleasant".

Consider audio: it's an illusion in that it doesn't recreate the same
soundfield (two channel, anyway), and it tries to portray several
instruments scattered in space, but in reality all the sounds are
coming from some paper/cloth/whatever cones positioned on the left and
right side. Perhaps this is one reason we can't be completely fooled.

At best, it can only be aproximated like an asymptote. Our ears are
filters that have properties that are getting better mapped out every day in
research. The subjectivist wing of high end audio contributes NOTHING to
this. Zero. In fact, their contribution is negative to understanding the
subject better.

[...]

That's simply not a factual statement, sorry. They are a small minority, even
in the highest quality circles. Maybe you need to get out more.

Ha! Actually, if I 'got out more', all I would do is run into more
engineers who find analog to better reproduce the musical experience.

I said they are easy to find, and they are. They are also very sane,
intelligent, perceptive people who are often masters of musical
knowledge.

And as I said above, "randomness" doesn't make things real.. it makes
them more complex, but I think a better word for what you are
describing is "complex" -- that is, complex, but very real, physical
models. The after ring is not random, it is the consequence of a real,
and complex, physical system acting as it acts.

I'm not going to debate semantics. Words fail. See above.

I can tell you from experience that adding random fluctuations of
frequency to a sustained tone or interval does *not* make it sound
real. It sounds richer, yes, but not real.

Random is not added. It is uncontrolled. It just IS.

I have no idea what this means.

Consider the after
ring of a harpsichord. A lot can be done by the voicer to infulence it the
way he likes, thickness of the soundboard, bracing of the frame, type of
wood, bridge, string choice, etc., but not everything. But these effects
are huge compared to the difference between well designed audio electronics.
It is amazing to me how many people simply don't understand that.

Perhaps the fact that analog is a complex and physical system adds just
the right kind of distortion. (as opposed to digital models)

For REproduction systems, the goal is NO distortion, unless you want
to add it.

Frankly, I'm
sick to death of claims or insinuations that these approaches to music
reproduction are 'more accurate' with any qualifying conditional statements
by the person making them. It's just a civilized courtesy to do so.

If you accept that different people are listening for different things,
then ALL statements about the ability of an audio system to create
authentic reproductions of sound are *relative* to what that person
listens for. I know you would like qualitifications, but they really
aren't necessary. Every single statement anyone makes about what audio
systems best reproduce musc, is truest to the orignal---in short, is
"accurate"---has an implicit qualification, "Relative to what I listen
for."

A REproduction system has an input and an output that can be compared,
quatitatively (measurements) and qualtatively. (just listening i.e. - blind)
You can make correlations between to the two and use simple logic to
determine what is likely true and not true. You are talking about what
you LIKE. That's okay, but don't confuse the two. All true advancements in
audio have been by the above method, despite the insistence of the handwaving
mythology believers. Audio mythology is ersatz, sorry.

The said approach is also very unweildy in the sense that the user has
quite limited and relatively imprecise control over how a system behaves.
I gave up on it because assuming a reproduction system is a musical instrument
might be good for one handful (at best) of recordings, but terrible for another
and I'm not content to listen only to recordings that might have the best sound,

The curious thing is that for some of us, using analog means is not
unweildy.. it is not an attempt to create distortions that compensate
for flaws in recordings.. it is simply the best way to reproduce music.

They are not created per se. They just ARE. And people like them, including
myself at times, which is fine. It is not accurate in terms of signal processing.
That's the evidence. What's the problem here? Are you having trouble admitting
that you just LIKE something?

I do like analog. And I also think it sounds more like live music. As
far as I can tell, it is the objectivists who have the difficulty
admitting these are two distinct experiences.

Is there something the matter with that? Why?
I find all this beating around the bush quite strange and a waste of time.
I've been there, I know the experience, and it's so full of cul-de-sacs that
one ends up doing virtually nothing but chasing their own tail. With audio,
I'm looking for general progress in REcreating realism of acoustic events and
discovering the new things that go there that are better than before. If I
want to please myself with music to a greater degree, I ultimately turn off
the stereo, play my instruments and/or go to a concert. True, I'm fortunate
to be able to play, something that not everybody can do, but I want to LEARN
first and foremost. You may differ. As Dick Pierce put it earlier, the
results are what is important. And being correctly informed makes a
difference.

I would really like to hear a CD processed through DSP such that it
sounds like analog. That would be wonderful. I'm also going to be
making CD-R recordings of some of my records, so we'll see.

Just record an LP to a CD with a very good soundcard. Lynx Two is the best I know
of, but probably not necessary.

It should go without saying, but make sure any comparison is blind, level matched,
time synched, and has a bull detector if you want it to carry any
significance beyond yourself. As you said, "we'll see." (emphasis mine)

I'm not going to make a comparison, at least not planning to now. I'm
just going to put the recording in my iPod, go to a quiet space, and
enjoy the music. If I find myself enjoying it as much as I ever do
listening directly to vinyl, that's all the evidence I need.

Enjoy the music.

Yup!

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end