Fredbob Jackson

Default ADAT, interface newbie questions

I'm looking to buy an interface of some sort, with ADAT out. I'm using
a Fostex VF-160 recorder and I need 8 channels of ADAT to be able to
use all 16 inputs.

I don't know anything about ADAT, so I don't know what to buy or how to
read the ads critically. For one, is the ADAT connector on the VF-160
the only type of connector for ADAT? Is it possible I could buy
something that turns out to be incompatible with my recorder, even
though it has ADAT out?

And do I need a clock? I don't believe the VF-160 has a clock input;
if it uses a clock, does that come in on the ADAT connector? The
Fostex manual says to connect a Fostex VM-88 or VC-8 to the recorder's
ADAT input; if these devices have some sort of clock on the ADAT line,
then I assume my interface needs to provide one there also.
(Hopefully, these aren't the only way to use the ADAT inputs on the
recorder!)

I'd like to grab an all-in-one unit, while I'm at it, if such a thing
exists. Say, 8 channels of analog in, in any combination of mic-level
and line-level. Using the analog outputs should be just like direct
outs on a board, ie, transparent. Digital out should be the 8 channels
on one ADAT line, and also on FireWire. S/PDIF might be cool to have
as well.

The closest thing I've come across so far is a MOTU 896HD, but it looks
like that can only be controlled with a computer? Their ad says that
if you need to take the box to a gig, you program it at home first.
WTF, over? Am I the only person that doesn't know the exact channel
layout prior to every gig? Does this programming include things like
Line/Mic level settings, or preamp gain?

Is there a product that's powerful enough and flexible enough (and with
good preamps in it) to do all this, and talk to a Fostex VF-160
recorder reliably? Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, is there an "ADAT For Dummies" someone might recommend? A book,
a mag article, a web page, whatever?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Arny Krueger

"Fredbob Jackson" wrote in
message
ups.com

I'm looking to buy an interface of some sort, with ADAT
out. I'm using a Fostex VF-160 recorder and I need 8
channels of ADAT to be able to use all 16 inputs.

A lot of people who care nothing about ADAT have gotten
sucked into the ADAT audio interface because it is used on a
lot of digital consoles, etch.

I don't know anything about ADAT, so I don't know what to
buy or how to read the ads critically.

The ADAT interface commonly nets out to be a plastic Toslink
optical port that is multiplexed 8 ways. It can either be
input or output, and it includes clocking.

For one, is the
ADAT connector on the VF-160 the only type of connector
for ADAT?

Despite the crappy pix in the Fostex brochure and user's
manual, I would say yes.

Is it possible I could buy something that
turns out to be incompatible with my recorder, even
though it has ADAT out?

Seems very unlikely.

And do I need a clock?

ADAT interfaces typically have their own clocks, and also
have provisions for being clocked by the host device if the
host can drive an ADAT output. Some have external word clock
connections as well.

Since the VF160 has an ADAT output, I'd be prone to hook
that up as well, and clock the ADAT device from it.

I don't believe the VF-160 has a
clock input; if it uses a clock, does that come in on the
ADAT connector?

It can. ADAT is a self-clocked serial bit stream.

I'd like to grab an all-in-one unit, while I'm at it, if
such a thing exists. Say, 8 channels of analog in, in
any combination of mic-level and line-level. Using the
analog outputs should be just like direct outs on a
board, ie, transparent. Digital out should be the 8
channels on one ADAT line, and also on FireWire. S/PDIF
might be cool to have as well.

Many options exist. The lowest-cost good one is probably the
Berhinger ADA8000. The prices and hopefully quality go up
from there.

I searched on "ADAT mic preamp" at google and came up with
all sorts of relevant stuff:

M-Audio Octane
Presonus Digimax
Mackie ONYX 800R
Behringer ADA8000
Aphex 1788
Art DIO
SMPro Audio (yecch!)
Focusrite Octopre with option board

the list goes on...

Mark Robinson

Hi Fred,

I use the ADA8000 with a Fostex VF-16 (the forerunner to the VF-160) and it
works fine. No external clock is needed, the ADAT optical interface is self
clocking. Hard to beat for the price. My only compliant is the detented
input gain pots. Because there are no record level adjustments on the
VF-16/160 for the ADAT input port, you need to use the gain trims on the
ADA8000 to set the recording level. The detents make the gain adjustment a
bit too course for me. I plan to open mine up and see if I can detent the
detent mechanism (usually easy on the cheapy pots). You also may want to
consider adding an analog 8 channel mic pre to increase the number if XLR
in's to 16 (the VF-160 has only 2). In my case I built up a nice little
live recording setup that uses a VF-16, ADA8000, Nady PRA-8, and patch bay,
mounted in a simple home built rack system. The PRA-8 sells for around $99.
It has some circuit problems, but I have come up with some mods to improve
the operation quite a bit. I can e-mail them to you if you are interested.

Mark

[...]

Arny Krueger

"Mark Robinson" wrote in message

The PRA-8 sells for
around $99. It has some circuit problems, but I have come
up with some mods to improve the operation quite a bit.
I can e-mail them to you if you are interested.

I get this feeling that the Nady PRA-8 is something like the
SM Audio PR8. Therefore, I'm interested in your mods -
please send to arnyk at comcast dot net.