Default One channel sound

I have creative 5.1 sound, a sound blaster audigy xgamer 1.0 and
running XP pro on a 2k+ mhz system. All 5 channels were working
perfectly until yest. when i sat down to realize i had no sound. I
tweaked all the settings i could find and finally found in the sound
control panel i have to go to the audio tab, select volume under the
default device for sound playback and if the volume is at anything but
the 2 highest notches on the slider bar i can hear no sound. My
keyboard audio controls do not alter the volume up or down, but will
mute it. The hardware control for my speaker system adjusts it, but
the same as the slider bar, if it isn't maxed, you wont hear it. It
is also only playing out of the speaker plugged into the front left
port.

I am fairly competent with computer systems (i work in IT for tx tech
univ.) and I am completely lost as to what to do. If anyone has any
ideas, suggestions or donations, they would all be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time