Barry Mann

Default parallelling amp outputs?

In , on 01/27/03
at 10:22 AM, "rb" said:

I've been away from the audio component field for a number of years,
and am now wanting to put together a home entertainment system. I see
a number of the current amps available have multi channel output (I've
seen 4-6 channel sets as the norm). Is it practical to put several
pair of the outputs in parallel to get additional power, just for
music? If so, and you phase 'em properly, is there any problem doing
this?

YES, THERE IS A PROBLEM! DON'T CONNECT AMPLIFIERS IN PARALLEL!!

For casual music listening, do the distributed cube speakers around
the rooms seem to do a pretty good job?

This is personal choice based on your own opinion of how good they
sound and look.

Also, what is available for getting music to remote locations in the
house? Are their wireless remotes available? Or, do you still have to
run wires to speakers wherever you put them?

Yes, there are "wireless" speakers, but they will require power wiring
or TONS of batteries, and the transmission range is often very limited.
For a similar sound quality, wireless speakers should cost more than
wired speakers.

SPAM:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

TCS

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:14:02 -0400, Barry Mann wrote:
In , on 01/27/03
at 10:22 AM, "rb" said:

I've been away from the audio component field for a number of years,
and am now wanting to put together a home entertainment system. I see
a number of the current amps available have multi channel output (I've
seen 4-6 channel sets as the norm). Is it practical to put several
pair of the outputs in parallel to get additional power, just for
music? If so, and you phase 'em properly, is there any problem doing
this?

YES, THERE IS A PROBLEM! DON'T CONNECT AMPLIFIERS IN PARALLEL!!

well, duh! They should always be run in series! Connect the speaker outputs
of the first amp to the line input of the second amp.

The advantage of series over parallel is that you'll only blow one amp.