Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Vinyl colorations, inherent, euphonic and inherent euphonic.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:57:23 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

On Nov 14, 9:58�pm, Doug McDonald wrote:
wrote:

Just a question regarding your Mercury Living Presence reissues on LP.
Was there any compression used in mastering them?

Scott,
NO compression whatsoever.

There is nothing vague about that answer.But it is incomplete.

You have to ask the original recording engineer "Was there any
gain riding done during the recording session?" and ask the
conductor "did you hold back on dynamic range to fit it
onto the recording dynamic range?"

I seem to remember seeing a photo of either Mr. or Mrs. Fine
sitting at a console reading a score to allow gain riding.

Doug McDonald

We really don't have to ask that question at all. The original
recordings are what they are. They sound amazing. I don't judge a
recording by how it is made but by how it sounds. The Mercuries were
consistantly outstanding. Some titles are among the very best sounding
reocrdings ever made. That is all the more remarkable an achievement
given that stereo recording was still in it's infancy and given the
limited resources the production team had. If they used gain riding
during the recordings that is the way it is regardless of what medium
they are transcribed onto.

Actually, I attribute their excellence DIRECTLY to the fact that stereo
recording was in its infancy. The limited resources led to a more-or-less
"purist" approach to the recording, meaning minimalist technique, with no
signal processing - always a "good thing" when recording live music.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:11:05 -0800, Jenn wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Doug McDonald wrote:

wrote:

Just a question regarding your Mercury Living Presence reissues on LP.
Was there any compression used in mastering them?

Scott,
NO compression whatsoever.

There is nothing vague about that answer.But it is incomplete.

You have to ask the original recording engineer "Was there any
gain riding done during the recording session?" and ask the
conductor "did you hold back on dynamic range to fit it
onto the recording dynamic range?"

I can testify regarding the statements of one of Mercury's conductors.
Frederick Fennell (Eastman Wind Ensemble, Eastman-Rochester Orchestra,
London Pops Orchestra) said many times that, on his recordings at least,
there was no "holding back on the dynamic range". They played the works
as they played them in concerts which usually took place the week before
the session. Fred's work was characterized by dynamic extremes, and he
said that there was absolutely no holding back (witness the amazing EWE
recording of Walton: Crown Imperial). "They didn't tell me how to
conduct, and I didn't tell them how to make records. It was a beautiful
relationship."

By the way, nearly all of FF's Mercury recordings were done in one or
two takes, always played straight through.

Yes, I've always noticed that there are far fewer splices in a Mercury
recording than there are in say, a Columbia of EO & the PO. I can ALWAYS hear
a mechanical tape splice (where the tape is cut with a razor blade) because
ambience changes at the splice point. Many Mercury's have none but at worst
there are usually only a couple.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Nov 16, 10:12�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 15, 11:11?am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 14, 9:58?pm, Doug McDonald

Just a question regarding your Mercury Living Presence
reissues on LP. Was there any compression used in
mastering them?

Scott,
NO compression whatsoever.

There is nothing vague about that answer.But it is
incomplete.

You have to ask the original recording engineer "Was
there any gain riding done during the recording
session?" and ask the conductor "did you hold back on
dynamic range to fit it
onto the recording dynamic range?"

I seem to remember seeing a photo of either Mr. or Mrs.
Fine sitting at a console reading a score to allow gain
riding.

Doug McDonald
We really don't have to ask that question at all. The
original recordings are what they are.
Appeal to blind faith, noted.

What are you trying to say Arny? That the original
recordings *aren't* what they *are*????

They are what they are

Is that an appeal to blind faith Arny? That is what you said when *I*
stated that "they are what they are." Now you are saying "they are
what they are." You really haven't cleared up anything in regards to
your assertion about an appeal to blind faith.

They sound amazing.

....to some people.

Do you think they sound something less than amazing?

Well, they are amazing for the day, but the day and the technology used to
make them has long passed out of the relam of the best that can be done.

So you have actually heard them?

Perhaps you could give us a list of commerical CDs that
IYO offer substantially more life like sounding symphonic
recordings.

I'm not into playing preferenced games with people who think that added
noise and distortion sounds best.

I think live music sounds best. I think some of the Mercury titles are
among the most life like sounding symphonic recordings of all time.
You are implying that they are not. If there is any meat behind that
opinion it follows that you must have heard symphonic recordings that
you feel out class the all the Mercuries in their sense of realism. I
don't see how my personal preferences would would give you cause to
not support your assertions with specific examples.

I don't judge a recording by how it is made but

by how it sounds.
That seems to be a sharp reversal of recent behavior.

What behavior would that be? I think my pragmatic
approach to audio has been pretty consistant on this
thread.

Pragmatism biased for the sounds of the distant past seems to be some kind
of contradiction in terms. Biased Pragmatism, isn't that an oxymoron?

You are simply mischaracterizing my pragmatism. It is really a simple
approach. If something sounds better it is better. i don't know how
one could be any more pragmatic an audiophile than that. as for
biases, we all have them. Not much can be done to make them go away. I
accept that fact. You see a conflict where none exists.

The Mercuries were consistantly outstanding.
Perhaps, in their day.

No such qualification is needed. IME they more than stand
up to the recordings of any era.

Same question as I asked �Harry - since you avoid bias controlled listening
tests, how do we know that your evaluation isn't the result of your biases
as opposed to your personal biases?

Your question is based on a false premise. I actually do bias
controlled comparisons between different recordings and different
masterings. In fact it is you who has avoided doing any such bias
controlled comparisons between the Mercuries and recordings you might
deem as state of the art due to the use of modern technology. It is
you who avoids doing bias controlled comparisons between competing
masterings of commercial titles. It is you who has avoided doing any
meaningful bias controlled comparisons between vinyl and CDs of
commercial recordings. How do we know any of your opinions about
anything we have discussed isn't the result of your biases?

Some titles are among the very best sounding
reocrdings ever made.
Highly unlikely, if you're talking about recordings made
in the 50s and 60s. Microphone and recording technology
has made significant gains since then.

It's not a question of probability.
You might try
actually listening to the Mercury recordings instead of
speculating about the likelyhood of their excellence.

Beem there, done that.

Really? Which of the Classics Mercury reissues did you use?

Thus far it would appear that you have not actually done
so. Actual listening strikes as a crucial step in forming
any kind of meaningful opinion about the quality of any
recording.

Listening with your biases running amok is no way to judge in any
generalizable, accurate sort of way

I agree. So I would suggest you do as I did and make some good old
fashioned bias controlled comparisons.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Nov 16, 10:12�am, "C. Leeds" wrote:
wrote in message

It's interesting to me just how superior the original LPs are to the CD
reissues. The master tapes have degraded so badly that the CD releases
just can't compare to the original LPs. The best sounding CD I have of
"Balalaika Favorites" is the one I burned from the LP.

I don't believe the tapes have degraded at all. IMO the Classics
reissue of Balalaika Favorites betters the original substantially. But
the original is quite excellent on it's own merits. I would also like
to make it clear that I have been very impressed by the Mercury CDs.
None of my Mercury CDs are of any of the same titles that I have on
LP. I can't comment on which sound better by format. But I can say
that I have absolutely outstanding sounding Mercuries on original LP,
on CD and on audiophile reissue LP. The *recordings* IME are
consistantly excellent and in many cases absolutely world class
regardless of the format. My biggest issue with the Mercuries is
performance. I am not a big fan of Dorati. I think the real goldmine
in the Mercury catalog is in the Howard Hanson recordings of American
composers. It's hard to find much of that material at all on record or
CD. Hanson was IMO a great conductor as well as composer. These
Mercuries really are gems. Great sound, great music and great
performances. If one has any interest in American classical music the
Mercury catalog is without equal. They also offer a few other odd and
rarely heard bits of classical music that IMO are simply overlooked.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:24:26 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Absolutely agreed!

You are implying that they are not. If there is any meat behind that
opinion it follows that you must have heard symphonic recordings that
you feel out class the all the Mercuries in their sense of realism. I
don't see how my personal preferences would would give you cause to
not support your assertions with specific examples.

That's certainly what I am wondering. Makes me wonder if Mr. Kruger's
criticisms aren't just his biased generalizations and that he really cannot
produce any examples of modern, digital recordings which are better.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:12:28 -0800, C. Leeds wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message

(about the legendary Mercury recordings)

Some titles are among the very best sounding
reocrdings ever made.

Arny Krueger answered
in :

Highly unlikely, if you're talking about recordings made in the 50s and
60s.
Microphone and recording technology has made significant gains since then.

This is a good example of how measurementalist thinking results in
prejudiced, faulty reasoning. Yes, it is certainly true that huge gains
in recording technology have been made since these recordings were made.
Playback quality has also improved, and it's likely that the people who
made these recordings had no was to assess just how exemplary a job they
were doing.

But, the proof is in the pudding. There is overwhelming opinion that
agrees with S888Wheel that these records "are among the very best" that
have ever been made. What explains the difference between what they
think and what Arny thinks? It's simple: we've actually heard these
recordings.

It's interesting to me just how superior the original LPs are to the CD
reissues. The master tapes have degraded so badly that the CD releases
just can't compare to the original LPs. The best sounding CD I have of
"Balalaika Favorites" is the one I burned from the LP.

Well, I agree with you except for the part about the degradation of the
master tapes. The Classic Records single-sided, 45-RPM release of the Dorati
version of Stravinsky's "Firebird" was mastered in the early 2000's yet it
is, without a doubt, the most gorgeous sounding recording I've ever heard -
on any media. The master can't have deteriorated THAT badly!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:25:07 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message

[...]

Hanson's 2nd Symphony, "The Romantic" is one the great pieces of 20th century
music. We are very lucky to have the Mercury recording of the great man
conducting it himself with his home orchestra (The Eastman Rochester
Symphony). Thank the stars that Bob Fine and company were the ones who
recorded it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:12:13 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

They are what they are - good examples of legacy technology. A technology
that had any number of audible limitations compared to what can easily be
done today.

While I agree about what is possible, today, 99 times out of 100, today's
efforts are NOT as good. What does that tell you?

They sound amazing.

....to some people.

Do you think they sound something less than amazing?

Well, they are amazing for the day, but the day and the technology used to
make them has long passed out of the relam of the best that can be done.

They are amazing period. I'd like your idea of what is currently available
that sounds better?

Perhaps you could give us a list of commerical CDs that
IYO offer substantially more life like sounding symphonic
recordings.

I'm not into playing preferenced games with people who think that added
noise and distortion sounds best.

Arny, if you say that these Mercury recordings (whether on LP, CD, or SACD)
are easily bettered today, then you should easily be able to point out some
examples. That you refuse can simply be interpreted as you are just being
your normal, contrary self, and really don't know what you are talking about.

I don't judge a recording by how it is made but

by how it sounds.

That seems to be a sharp reversal of recent behavior.

What behavior would that be? I think my pragmatic
approach to audio has been pretty consistant on this
thread.

Pragmatism biased for the sounds of the distant past seems to be some kind
of contradiction in terms. Biased Pragmatism, isn't that an oxymoron?

Actually, I think he talking in terms of absolute listening quality, and that
he's being very pragmatic. The irony of you calling others biased, OTOH, is
simply amazing here.

The Mercuries were consistantly outstanding.

Perhaps, in their day.

No such qualification is needed. IME they more than stand
up to the recordings of any era.

Same question as I asked Harry - since you avoid bias controlled listening
tests, how do we know that your evaluation isn't the result of your biases
as opposed to your personal biases?

How the hell can one perform bias-controlled listening tests on a specific
set of recordings? Harry is not saying that just the Mercury LPs stand
up to the recordings of any era, he's talking (I believe) about the
recordings themselves, on ANY available delivery media.

Some titles are among the very best sounding
reocrdings ever made.

Highly unlikely, if you're talking about recordings made
in the 50s and 60s. Microphone and recording technology
has made significant gains since then.

Some aspects of it, yes. Other aspects of recordings have not changed that
much. A good hi-fidelity stereo recording made in the 1950's or 1960's still
sounds magnificent today. For instance Bert Whyte's recordings of
Villa-Lobos/Ginastera with Sir Eugene Goossens and the LSO in '58, '59, and
'60 have been re-issued on Vanguard in hybrid SACD/CD. The original Whyte
3-track masters have been cleaned-up digitally and the tape-hiss has been
seamlessly removed. The recording is stunning in it's "you-are-there"
palpability. Even more so is the Vanguard recording of Vaughan Williams'
incidental music with Abravanel/Utah Symphony Orchestra recorded in 1966 and
1967 as two or three track analog masters by Ed Friedner. Again, Vanguard has
digitally cleaned these masters up and removed the hiss using digital audio
correlation and the results are stunning. Robert Woods of Telarc or even
Keith O. Johnson of Reference Recordings can only dream of making modern
digital recordings that sound this real. I'm not saying that it can't be
done, you understand (I've come close, myself), but I am saying that most
modern recording producers and engineers either can't or won't do it and I'm
dying to hear of some who have (an exception is the great, unsung modern
recording engineer, Bruce Leek. He records mostly college and military
ensembles such as the Denver Brass or the D.C. Air Force band and his work is
mostly available on the Klavier label.)

That's why I want to know what you consider great modern technological
recordings. Because I'll buy 'em tonight.

It's not a question of probability.

Right, recording technology has progressed to the point where the audible
superiority is more like a certainty, presuming equal care and attention to
the SOTA.

You might try
actually listening to the Mercury recordings instead of
speculating about the likelyhood of their excellence.

Beem there, done that.

Thus far it would appear that you have not actually done
so. Actual listening strikes as a crucial step in forming
any kind of meaningful opinion about the quality of any
recording.

Listening with your biases running amok is no way to judge in any
generalizable, accurate sort of way.

I don't see where Harry has exhibited any particular biases. You, OTOH, .....
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Nov 16, 7:17�pm, Sonnova wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:12:13 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

How the hell can one perform bias-controlled listening tests on a specific
set of recordings? Harry is not saying that just the Mercury LPs stand
up to the recordings of any era, he's talking (I believe) about the
recordings themselves, on ANY available delivery media.

It's actually pretty easy. You just need listeners that are not
intimately familiar with the performances. :ine up several recordings,
sit the listener down and have em listen. If they don't know the
source or the vintage of recording you will get some pretty unbiased
opinions on sound quality. I do this quite often with a good friend of
mine who is a weekly concert goer.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

wrote in message

(about the legendary Mercury recordings)

Some titles are among the very best sounding
reocrdings ever made.

Arny Krueger answered
in :

Highly unlikely, if you're talking about recordings made
in the 50s and 60s. Microphone and recording technology
has made significant gains since then.

This is a good example of how measurementalist thinking
results in prejudiced, faulty reasoning.

Evidence?

Yes, it is
certainly true that huge gains in recording technology
have been made since these recordings were made.

So then it is your claim that recordings made in the 50s and 60s contain no
audible evidence of the limited technology that was used to make them?

Playback quality has also improved, and it's likely that the
people who made these recordings had no was to assess
just how exemplary a job they were doing.

Not only that, but given the limited state of the headphones and speakers of
the day, they were very limited in terms of hearing problems with the
micing, that are now readily audible today.

But, the proof is in the pudding.

There seems to be enough documentation about how these recordings were made,
that they could be recreated today, if anybody wanted to waste their time
and money that way.

There is overwhelming
opinion that agrees with S888Wheel that these records
"are among the very best" that have ever been made.

Well, lets see, that's based on a sample of what 3 or 4 of the how many
billions of music lovers in the world?

Come on guys, let's not get overwhelmed with our own OSAF based on a
miniscule sample.

What explains the difference between what they think and what
Arny thinks?

Arny's *problem* is that he agrees with the billions of other music lovers
who think that technology has significantly advanced since the 60s and that
these advances have born audible fruit.

It's simple: we've actually heard these recordings.

Classic example of people who mistakenly believe that they've found the
holy grail moldering away under a pile of reasonably fresh refuse.

It's interesting to me just how superior the original LPs
are to the CD reissues.

....in the opinion of a miniscule percentage of the music lovers currently
listening to music today.

The master tapes have degraded so
badly that the CD releases just can't compare to the
original LPs.

Says who?

I didn't overlook a frank admission of that in the recent Mercury press
releases, did I?

The best sounding CD I have of "Balalaika Favorites" is the one I burned
from the LP.

And where is the globally-significant evidence that you have to support that
claim?

I think that its good for people to have pride in their work and
possessions, but claiming that a transcription you did of some ancient piece
of vinyl is the best in the world seems to be a tad hyperbolic.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Nov 17, 6:11�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"C. Leeds" wrote in message

There seems to be enough documentation about how these recordings were made,
that they could be recreated today, if anybody wanted to waste their time
and money that way.

That strikes me as a profoundly ignorant claim, especially comming
from someone who presents themselves as an experienced and
knowledgable "recordist." Do you really believe that you could
actually recreate these recordings today with nothing more than the
same equipment and the documentation that you have seen? I challenge
you to find one single recording engineer that agrees with you on this
one. This claim completely ignores all of the significant choices made
for each specific situation by recording engineers.The very choices
that are at the heart of the *art* of recording.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 06:11:56 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

wrote in message

(about the legendary Mercury recordings)

Some titles are among the very best sounding
reocrdings ever made.

Arny Krueger answered
in :

Highly unlikely, if you're talking about recordings made
in the 50s and 60s. Microphone and recording technology
has made significant gains since then.

This is a good example of how measurementalist thinking
results in prejudiced, faulty reasoning.

Evidence?

Yes, it is
certainly true that huge gains in recording technology
have been made since these recordings were made.

So then it is your claim that recordings made in the 50s and 60s contain no
audible evidence of the limited technology that was used to make them?

I'm certainly not saying that, but aside from signal-to-noise (which can be
fixed once the masters are digitized. Modern digital auto-correlation can
make these hissy old Scotch 150 masters pretty quiet) and the physical
condition of the tapes, I'd say that the audible evidence of the limited
technology used to make some of these recordings is pretty irrelevant to the
end product. You really should make an effort to hear the Classics Records
release of the Mercury "Firebird" on 45-RPM single-sided, 200 gram vinyl. It
will astonish you (unless you let your prejudice get in the way).

Playback quality has also improved, and it's likely that the
people who made these recordings had no was to assess
just how exemplary a job they were doing.

Not only that, but given the limited state of the headphones and speakers of
the day, they were very limited in terms of hearing problems with the
micing, that are now readily audible today.

The problems with the mikes are fairly minor. They were quite peaky around 16
KHz, but that complemented LP, and can be easily tamed today for digital
(here is one place where EQ would be essential).

But, the proof is in the pudding.

There seems to be enough documentation about how these recordings were made,
that they could be recreated today, if anybody wanted to waste their time
and money that way.

Since they sound so good, and few modern recordings sound as real, I'd say
that it would not be a waste of time (and I wonder why you think it would
be). But for various reasons, it wouldn't be easy. Robert Woods of Telarc,
for instance, used to slavishly copy Fine/Eberenz' miking technique for the
early recordings, and it didn't work. Turns out, he was using modern
calibration microphones for their very flat frequency response. The problem
was (I suspect) that these calibration mikes were TRUE omnidirectional, not
"sort-of" omnidirectional like the mikes Mercury was using. The results were
different from Mercury's even though three mikes were used and the spacing
was the same, and ultimately lacked any of the great sound-stage and overall
palpability that the best Mercury recordings exhibit.

[...]

These recordings keep getting re-released over and over in every new media
format that comes down the pipe because they are UNIVERSALLY recognized as
being superior recordings that reveal something new and wonderful everytime
they are remastered. It has to be that reason because many of these
performances, while certainly competent, are seldom the definitive
performances available. What's Dorati's "Firebird", for instance, to
Stravinsky's own on Columbia? I'll tell you this, the Mercury sound FAR
better, and that's it's raison d'etre. Dorati was no Ormandy or Reiner, Louis
Lane was no Liensdorf or Walter. But there are gems. Most of Fennel's work on
Mercury with the Eastman Winds is pretty definitive symphonic band and of
course, Hanson conducting Hanson are national treasures.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

I don't have it on vinyl, but based on the discussion here I pulled out my
SACD three-channel version and listened to it today. It certainly is a
very, very fine recording and it is hard to hear any way it would be
improved by recording it in digital.

On the other hand, the disk contains a lot of other pieces as well, and some
of them didn't fare as well....mikes too close, muffled bass, etc. I didn't
have the time or patience to look through and see whther Fine did all those
as well...I suspect at least not some of them...or perhaps since they were
"bon-bons" they simply weren't as careful in the setup.
But these were *recording* issues, not digital vs analog issues.

Playback quality has also improved, and it's likely that the
people who made these recordings had no was to assess
just how exemplary a job they were doing.

Not only that, but given the limited state of the headphones and speakers
of
the day, they were very limited in terms of hearing problems with the
micing, that are now readily audible today.

The problems with the mikes are fairly minor. They were quite peaky around
16
KHz, but that complemented LP, and can be easily tamed today for digital
(here is one place where EQ would be essential).

They were peaky, but that also gave them "reach". To this day, Schoeps
premiere mics for orchestral recording still have an exaggerated presence
for this very reason.

[...]

For somebody who claims to be an audiophile, Arny seems ignorant of the
audiophile culture, including its legends and honorees.

And BTW....please note, Arny.....Sonnova said of the "CD's he had", not that
were ever produced anywhere in the world. A bit of hyperbole, wouldn't you
say? A strawman by any other name.......

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Nov 17, 6:11?am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"CO. Leeds" wrote in message

There seems to be enough documentation about how these
recordings were made, that they could be recreated
today, if anybody wanted to waste their time and money
that way.

That strikes me as a profoundly ignorant claim,
especially coming from someone who presents themselves
as an experienced and knowledgeable "recordist."

I'm used to the unnecessary invective. Enjoy yourself!

Do you really believe that you could actually recreate these
recordings today with nothing more than the same
equipment and the documentation that you have seen?

Well that, a room and an orchestra... ;-)

However, you're making this unnecessarily personal. I never said or even
suggested that *I* would be the best person to address this task. I only
said that there is some engineer, living and working actively, who could do
it.

Actually, there are probably dozens. However, you'd have to get them to
drop their standards for equipment and procedures quite significantly. I
would not be surprised if many of them refused the gig on the grounds of
their principles and the danger to their reputation.

Let's face it - you find mechanics working in NASCAR when they are at the
top of their game, and you find many of the same people working with legacy
technology when they are essentially retired and far away from the best days
of their lives.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Nov 18, 5:48�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

Do you really believe that you could actually recreate these
recordings today with nothing more than the same
equipment and the documentation that you have seen?

Well that, a room and an orchestra... ;-)

However, you're making this unnecessarily personal. I never said or even
suggested that *I* would be the best person to address this task. I only
said that there is some engineer, living and working actively, who could do
it.

�Actually, there are probably dozens. However, you'd have to get them to
drop their standards for equipment and procedures quite significantly. I
would not be surprised if many of them refused the gig on the grounds of
their principles and the danger to their reputation.

Perhaps you could name names of the recording engineers who would
actually have to drop their "standards" to do this. Perhaps you could
name the recording engineers whose reputations would actually suffer
if they were to make a recording that sounded like one of the
outstanding Mercury recordings. Can you name any such recording
engineers?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

These recordings keep getting re-released over and over
in every new media format that comes down the pipe
because they are UNIVERSALLY recognized as being superior
recordings that reveal something new and wonderful
everytime they are remastered.

They can't be universally recognized as being superior because almost all
music lovers either don't know about them or have largely forgotten them.

The fact that the means used to make these recordings is both
well-documented and almost universally ignored in this day and age, tells
all of the story that most of us need to know.

The micing technique used is defensible on the grounds that really good
cardiod microphones were not available at the time, at any price. Today,
really good cardiod and hypercardiod mics are readily available for under
$1,000 each. Even Guitar Center carries them!

There's only one reason why these recordings are being reissued - some
marketing person thinks that they will sell. No record company releases
recordings on this scale (# of titles and PR effort) for love - they think
that there is a significant enough market for them.

Hey, if you like them, by all means enjoy them. However part of live is
understanding what is unique to you, and what most people actually think.
Failing to do that leads a few to diefy their preferences in relatively
unique ways.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 05:48:12 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message

On Nov 17, 6:11?am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"CO. Leeds" wrote in message

[...]

There are many ways to record an orchestra which will result in a recording
that is as good as these Mercury's in terms of soundstage and imaging as well
as ambience capture. These modern recordings SHOULD be better than the
Mercury's in terms of flat frequency response, distortion, and dynamic range,
as these are undeniable digital strengths and the result of modern microphone
design and construction.

The problem is, nobody does it. I hear dozens of new orchestral CDs per year.
These come from everywhere in the world, and are engineered by disparate
recording engineers, all with their own ideas as to what constitutes the
proper way to record a symphony orchestra. As I have stated before, nobody
gets as good a result as Bob Fine and Bob Eberenz did with those Mercury
Living Presence recordings of half a century ago. My question is why can't
they do it? Why don't they do it? If all modern symphonic recordings were
even in the ball park of these Mercury's, surely we'd be living in the golden
age of recording (except that all of the great conductors are gone, but
that's another issue).

I maintain that these recordings are revered for a reason (which has nothing
to do with any form of audio nostalgia). The Mercury's, the early RCA Red
Seal stereos, some of the Everests and a few of the Vanguards represent an
ideal of how a good recording played on a decent stereo system can give the
listener a glimpse of what I believe we're all in this for in the first
place. The actual sound of real music being played in our listening rooms.
It's just a glimpse, mind you, and is far from the ideal experience, but
everytime I play one of these recordings whether on LP, CD, or SACD, I'm
encouraged to redouble my own efforts at making the same kinds of recordings.

Let's face it - you find mechanics working in NASCAR when they are at the
top of their game, and you find many of the same people working with legacy
technology when they are essentially retired and far away from the best days
of their lives.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 05:26:45 -0800, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

Absolutely (although the LP has ONLY the Firebird). These are the vagaries of
recording on location (and well I do know that). It's all, ultimately, about
control, or rather, lack of it. When you can't pick the venue, find that your
microphone placement is rendered less than ideal by other considerations
(stage size, the need for soloists down-front, room acoustics, etc.), you
take what you can get. There is no doubt that some of the Mercury's were
better than others and the "Firebird" is certainly an exercise in
serendipity.

I didn't
have the time or patience to look through and see whther Fine did all those
as well...I suspect at least not some of them...or perhaps since they were
"bon-bons" they simply weren't as careful in the setup.
But these were *recording* issues, not digital vs analog issues.

He and/or Ebernez did all of them, as far as I know, but like I said,
location recording involves more uncontrollable variables than does studio
recording. When the venue is good and things come together just right, the
result is magic, but that doesn't happen all the time. There is one venue
where i regularly record, the Dinklespiel Auditorium at Stanford University,
that yields superb results, but another auditorium, the one at nearby
Foothill College, I can't get a decent recording out of to save my life. I've
taken to recording the Foothill ensemble in their rehearsal hall. I get much
better results there.

Playback quality has also improved, and it's likely that the
people who made these recordings had no was to assess
just how exemplary a job they were doing.

Not only that, but given the limited state of the headphones and speakers
of
the day, they were very limited in terms of hearing problems with the
micing, that are now readily audible today.

The problems with the mikes are fairly minor. They were quite peaky around
16
KHz, but that complemented LP, and can be easily tamed today for digital
(here is one place where EQ would be essential).

They were peaky, but that also gave them "reach". To this day, Schoeps
premiere mics for orchestral recording still have an exaggerated presence
for this very reason.

I've never used the Schoeps mikes, but Bob Woods of Telarc did. Even though
he was trying to copy Fines techniques (in the Label's early days, at least),
he never achieved the level of palpability and "thereness" that Fine was able
to accomplish at his best. Maybe you've just struck upon the reason.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

I did a lot of live recording back in the '60's and '70's....and I know
exactly what you are talking about. I had taken John Woram's training
(Institute of Audio Research) and had become skilled enough in purist micing
techniques to usually get a decent to quite good recording no matter what
the venue, but when it all came together, it was magic. One of the
tragedies of my most recent move was that I lost a box of transcription
tapes that I had made from the masters of some of those better efforts.

[...]

Could well be. A lot of current-day recording folk don't understand the
purpose of those special capsules that Schoeps sells. More Europeans do
than Americans, I suspect, however.