Newbie Qs on Monitoring Overdubs and Choice of Audio Interface

Old July 5th 19, 06:35 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

Default Newbie Qs on Monitoring Overdubs and Choice of Audio Interface

On 7/5/19 10:22 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 7/5/2019 12:59 PM, Tobiah wrote:
>> All I ever adjusted with the mixer was the input gain, and that's
>> available to me on the front of my interface in knob form.

> What do you do if the person being recorded asks to hear something different in his headphone mix?

There are two phones outputs on my interface. Each one can be sent
it's own mix comprised of any of the hardware inputs or DAW outputs.

> For simple mixes, an interface with a direct analog input monitor signal path and a pot that adjusts the balance between the input and the DAW playback works well most of the time. This is great for a single artist who's recording himself.* While an interface with a screen-driven monitor mix offers more flexibility which you might need some of the time, it also has the inconvenience of using a computer and mouse all of the time.

I concede that physical faders are nicer to fiddle with than
software faders. Then again, I can save a software mix to disk
to be recalled with individual projects. I'm aware that some
mixers can do that. I just decided I like getting to digital
as soon as possible.

Old July 5th 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Tobiah > wrote:
>On 7/4/19 6:55 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Bob Simon > wrote:
>>> I am getting ready to buy my first audio interface. With no digital record=
>>> ing experience, I need some advice on monitoring overdubs. I had been look=
>>> ing at the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt audio interface (connected to=
>>> my HP Spectre x360 with Thunderbolt 3) because it has especially low laten=
>>> cy in hopes that I would be able to monitor my live overdub tracks via the =
>>> DAW. However, Focusrite Tech Support suggested I get the USB version of th=
>>> e Clarett instead because there are problems with the Thunderbolt implement=
>>> ation on some Windows machines. Has anyone here tried to use Thunderbolt o=
>>> n the HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac076nr (Z4Z25UA)?

>> Get a small cheap mixer for monitoring, so you don't have to monitor through
>> the computer. Some interfaces have such a thing built in, but there is no
>> reason not to just get a Mackie 1202 or something to have for the job,
>> because someday you'll want it for something else anyway.

>I differ on this point. I had a 1402 in front of my audio interface
>for years. When I finally realized how to use the monitor mix in
>software I realized that the mixer was entirely superfluous. Some
>can't let go of the feel of faders, I get it, but that's really all
>a dedicated mixer has to offer given the software that comes with
>a well designed interface.

Not all interfaces have an analogue monitor mix arrangement, though. Many do,
and agreed that if you have it that you don't need an external mixer for that.

Still it is a handy thing to have around.
Old July 6th 19, 02:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/07/2019 5:22 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 7/5/2019 12:59 PM, Tobiah wrote:
>> All I ever adjusted with the mixer was the input gain, and that's
>> available to me on the front of my interface in knob form.

> What do you do if the person being recorded asks to hear something
> different in his headphone mix?
>
> For simple mixes, an interface with a direct analog input monitor signal
> path and a pot that adjusts the balance between the input and the DAW
> playback works well most of the time. This is great for a single artist
> who's recording himself.* While an interface with a screen-driven
> monitor mix offers more flexibility which you might need some of the
> time, it also has the inconvenience of using a computer and mouse all of
> the time.

Alternatively just listen to the 'monitor mix sans vocalist in
question, and slip in ear-cup slightly off ear if necessary !