Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Newbie Qs on Monitoring Overdubs and Choice of Audio Interface

On 7/5/19 10:22 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/5/2019 12:59 PM, Tobiah wrote:
All I ever adjusted with the mixer was the input gain, and that's
available to me on the front of my interface in knob form.

What do you do if the person being recorded asks to hear something different in his headphone mix?

There are two phones outputs on my interface. Each one can be sent
it's own mix comprised of any of the hardware inputs or DAW outputs.

For simple mixes, an interface with a direct analog input monitor signal path and a pot that adjusts the balance between the input and the DAW playback works well most of the time. This is great for a single artist who's recording himself.Â* While an interface with a screen-driven monitor mix offers more flexibility which you might need some of the time, it also has the inconvenience of using a computer and mouse all of the time.

I concede that physical faders are nicer to fiddle with than
software faders. Then again, I can save a software mix to disk
to be recalled with individual projects. I'm aware that some
mixers can do that. I just decided I like getting to digital
as soon as possible.