Posted to rec.audio.tech
braxus braxus is offline

Default Azimuth adjustment on Aiwa tape deck- problem

http://www.geocities.com/shpickering...ckassembly.jpg

Im having issues trying to adjust the lower right nut on my Aiwa XK-S9000
tape deck. As seen in the photo there is a metal bar that crosses that nut
not allowing any sort of socket or nut driver in there. I need to loosen
this screw in order to have the high end come back. Tightening the left side
doesn't give it enough adjustment. I even tried needle nose pliers (tiny
ones) to see if I can get in there. Keep in mind the above photo was while
it was in play mode. I didn't have much better access when the door was open
either. Im not even sure if the lower right screw will allow to be adjusted,
as the upper right seems to be locked into place. Any suggestions? Anyone
else ever adjust azimuth on these decks? If I can't get it myself, I'll end
up taking it in for someone to work on.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

braxus wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/shpickering...ckassembly.jpg

Im having issues trying to adjust the lower right nut on my Aiwa XK-S9000
tape deck. As seen in the photo there is a metal bar that crosses that nut
not allowing any sort of socket or nut driver in there. I need to loosen
this screw in order to have the high end come back.

I don't understand your problem.

Change the nut to something you can turn and modify the accessibility to let you
get the relevant tool in there.

That's what I've done with other cassette machines.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

braxus wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/shpickering...ckassembly.jpg

Im having issues trying to adjust the lower right nut on my Aiwa
XK-S9000 tape deck. As seen in the photo there is a metal bar that
crosses that nut not allowing any sort of socket or nut driver in there.
I need to loosen this screw in order to have the high end come back.
Tightening the left side doesn't give it enough adjustment. I even tried
needle nose pliers (tiny ones) to see if I can get in there. Keep in
mind the above photo was while it was in play mode. I didn't have much
better access when the door was open either. Im not even sure if the
lower right screw will allow to be adjusted, as the upper right seems to
be locked into place. Any suggestions? Anyone else ever adjust azimuth
on these decks? If I can't get it myself, I'll end up taking it in for
someone to work on.

Hello,

First of all, let me mention that I **DO NOT** know this model of deck.
It looks like a 3 head deck from the photo, and the right screw is
below the play head, not to the side of it. This may very well NOT be
an azimuth adjustment, it might be a head tilt and/or height, in which
case you will need to get the machine to someone who really knows it and
has the alignment instructions. ( The upper right may be tilt and/or
height as well, you'll need the shop manual to be sure.) If the machine
has a lot of wear on the head (ie. a grove has been worn it in, then the
head may just be worn out. I have found that when there is a grove worn
in the surface of the head, it is best to leave the alignment alone, as
otherwise you can cause all sorts of tape tracking problems and edge
damage to the tape.

You did not state how you checking for correct azimuth. In a 3 head
machine where the azimuth adjustment effects both the play and record
heads, it is best to use a proper test tape and oscilloscope to get the
play right, and maybe slightly compromise the adjustment to make the
record head as good as you can get it.

Also, there are other things that can effect the frequency response of
the machine. Is the tape path clean and demagnetized? Is the tape you
are using one that the machine is set up for? If these are older tapes
that were recorded years ago, they might just be loosing high
frequencies, as tapes will do that over time, especially if not stored
carefully.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.tech
braxus braxus is offline

If the machine
has a lot of wear on the head (ie. a grove has been worn it in, then the
head may just be worn out.

If that is the case I can order a new head for it which is still available.

You did not state how you checking for correct azimuth.

I tilted the head block on one side and the high end came back. Im wanting
this deck to be aligned with tapes from another deck. Reason is some tapes I
cannot re-record over again and I want them to be able to play in the Aiwa.

Also, there are other things that can effect the frequency response of the
machine. Is the tape path clean and demagnetized?

Yes.

Is the tape you
are using one that the machine is set up for?

No. As per above.

If these are older tapes
that were recorded years ago, they might just be loosing high frequencies,
as tapes will do that over time, especially if not stored carefully.

No the tape I tried was recorded recently.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
braxus braxus is offline

Change the nut to something you can turn and modify the accessibility to
let you
get the relevant tool in there.

Im not wanting to cut the metal bar just so I can get in there. As per
changing the nut, this is not within my means and Im not wanting to screw
around with the design of the deck. Any such changes would devalue the deck
and cause more problems then its worth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
braxus braxus is offline

I got it. It was the upper left screw hiding from view. I used a small
sewing machine screw driver to get in there and adjust. Presto it works now.
Problem is the belt finally slipped and is needing replacement now. What Im
wondering is what the two nuts I turned adjusted. I hope nothing was thrown
off balance doing that.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

I have not worked on the model you have.

We use a dual channel scope and a calibration standards tape to do the head
alignment. There is the height, azimuth, depth, and position adjustments.
These are done to achieve the best possible frequency response with
consideration for phase, and channel separation. Most likely you introduced
other faults even though the highs sound okay to you. I am dead sure that
the other specs must be far off from what you have done!

Take your tape machine to a shop that does tape machine service and
alignments. Get the unit properly serviced. Sometimes, poor frequency
response can be from defective components on the circuit boards, and the
adjustments were okay. By offsetting adjustments, you may have compensated
for other defects.

--

JANA
_____