TheBIessedDead

Default Tweeter Placement...

Hey all, I recently ordered a set of Directed Audio S650 components for my 2001
Stratus, and though they aren't here yet, I'm looking for help on tweeter
placement. I've never dealt with components before, so I'm pretty unfamiliar
with where I should place the tweeter. The two options I'm most considering
is....

1. I bought some 6x9 adapter plates to allow me to install the 6 1/2 woofers
in the 6x9 factory openings in my front doors... The plates have a circle that
can be cut out to allow for tweeter placement right above or below the woofer.

2. Removing the plastic pieces at the bottom of each pillar on the door, and
drilling and flush mounting them in there. It would be a fairly easy process.

Is either of those two options going to have an advantage over the other as far
as staging and sq goes? I'm leaning towards just mounting them on the plates,
as it would be a bit easier and would mean I wouldn't have to drill on my
fairly new car. (Although I wouldn't mind drilling if it was to my advantage).

So, any thoughts on these two ideas... or any other places I haven't thought
of?

Thanks alot! Nick
Mark Zarella

[...]

Probably.

I'm leaning towards just mounting them on the plates,
as it would be a bit easier and would mean I wouldn't have to drill on my
fairly new car. (Although I wouldn't mind drilling if it was to my

advantage).

So, any thoughts on these two ideas... or any other places I haven't

thought
of?

Buy a piece of velcro. Stick them all over the place and listen. After a
week or two, you should be able to make an informed decision.

John Durbin

amen... and, while you're experimenting with moving them around, try
changing the polarity to the tweeters at each location - phase accuracy
is related to separation distance from the mids, and you may find
hooking up the tweeters backwards from the way they're marked can give
you better sound. The manual should have that advice in it somewhere...

JD

Paul Vina wrote:

[...]

Mark Zarella

And while you're at it...

Play with level controls, crossover points, the whole works. As I said,
this will take you about a week if you're reasonably thorough. Usually
takes me about a month to tune my entire system.

Paul Vina wrote:

[...]

TheBIessedDead

And while you're at it...

Play with level controls, crossover points, the whole works. As I said,
this will take you about a week if you're reasonably thorough. Usually
takes me about a month to tune my entire system.

Hmm.. an excuse to stray from my diaper changing, child raising duties and play
with my stereo instead? I'm all over that.

Thanks for the suggestions... I think I shall try it with the velcro and see
what I can come up with.

Nick
John Durbin

Mark, that's yet another reason why I've always maintained it's better
to be lucky than good :-)

JD
try finding a shop owner that will let you spend that much time getting
the tuning right in a typical audio install...

Mark Zarella wrote:

And while you're at it...

Play with level controls, crossover points, the whole works. As I said,
this will take you about a week if you're reasonably thorough. Usually
takes me about a month to tune my entire system.

.. .

[...]

Mark Zarella

JD
try finding a shop owner that will let you spend that much time getting
the tuning right in a typical audio install...

Nah, that's all homework.