Bose 201 Series II

Old October 6th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_]

Default Bose 201 Series II

"Eeyore" > wrote in message

> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>> > The Polyswitch guys actually do/did an app note on tweeter/driver
>> > protection inluding using bulbs as well ! Polyswitches on their own
>> > tend not

>> > 'reset' very well you see, whereas bulbs do.

>> **Incorrect. PolyswitchesT 'reset' just fine. They simply require the
>> user
>> to reduce levels going to the driver/s.

> That's the whole point ! The user rarely does that.

**Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The user stops destroying tweeters.
That is the aim.

> Get the app note !

**I'll look at it sometime.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old October 7th 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore

Trevor Wilson wrote:

> "Eeyore" wrote
> > Trevor Wilson wrote:
> >> "Eeyore" wrote

> >> **Incorrect. PolyswitchesT 'reset' just fine. They simply require the
> >> user to reduce levels going to the driver/s.

> > That's the whole point ! The user rarely does that.

> **Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The user stops destroying tweeters.
> That is the aim.

Well that is an advantage ! ;~)

> > Get the app note !

> **I'll look at it sometime.

It may be online now. Very likely actually.

Graham

Old November 17th 10, 11:08 AM
mariarayan mariarayan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdedert View Post
I know, I know...but for $9 in good shape at the thrift store, I figured
I couldn't go wrong. No way to test, but the surrounds were in
excellent condition; so I figured at least the woofers alone were worth
$4.50 each.

Brought them home, hooked 'em up, they made noise...so far so good, but
where were the highs? AWOL...crap, blown tweets! Not so fast....

Tested the tweeters with 9v battery--fine. Okay, time to open the box.
Pulled the surprisingly flimsy woofer from the 1/2" MDF box In
addition to the minimal x-over components (resister and cap in series
with the tweeter) was a #561 automotive 'festoon' style lamp in series
with the tweet. Shorting that brought back highs.

Now considering this was a series limiter, should I replace it, or just
bypass? The lamp
<http://www.bulbtown.com/561_MINIATURE_BULB_RIGID_LOOP_BASE_p/561.htm>
is a roughly 12 watt unit with apprx. 1000 hours rated life. Did it
'fuse', or just wear out?

Strange stuff, this Bose....

jak
yeah i think Light bulbs are surprisingly good current regulators.