Value of KLH speakers?

Old October 6th 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_2_]

Default Value of KLH speakers?

Somewhere on teh intarwebs GregS wrote:
> In article >, David
> Nebenzahl > wrote:
>> On 9/5/2010 10:02 PM Eeyore spake thus:

[snip]
>> My point was that the floor the speakers is placed on *could* easily
>> be carpeted. Certainly not my choice of floor covering here, but it
>> exists
>> in many places out there in the wild.
>>
>> And yes, I certainly wouldn't expect to see carpet in a studio
>> control room.

> I would say carpeting is mandatory in my view in any audio room. So
> is wall treatments, and ceiling treatments.

Ahh! I fondly remember the days of gluing egg-trays to the ceiling of the
lounge until it was completely covered from wall to wall.

Those were the days, when aesthetics took a back-seat to sound quality.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Old October 6th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:43:26 +1300, "~misfit~"
> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs GregS wrote:
>> In article >, David
>> Nebenzahl > wrote:
>>> On 9/5/2010 10:02 PM Eeyore spake thus:

>[snip]
>>> My point was that the floor the speakers is placed on *could* easily
>>> be carpeted. Certainly not my choice of floor covering here, but it
>>> exists
>>> in many places out there in the wild.
>>>
>>> And yes, I certainly wouldn't expect to see carpet in a studio
>>> control room.

>> I would say carpeting is mandatory in my view in any audio room. So
>> is wall treatments, and ceiling treatments.

>Ahh! I fondly remember the days of gluing egg-trays to the ceiling of the
>lounge until it was completely covered from wall to wall.
>
>Those were the days, when aesthetics took a back-seat to sound quality.

I think you mean those were the days when aesthetics and sound quality
took a back seat to urban myth.

Old October 6th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"~misfit~" > wrote in
message
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs GregS wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> David Nebenzahl > wrote:
>>> On 9/5/2010 10:02 PM Eeyore spake thus:

> [snip]
>>> My point was that the floor the speakers is placed on
>>> *could* easily be carpeted. Certainly not my choice of
>>> floor covering here, but it exists
>>> in many places out there in the wild.
>>>
>>> And yes, I certainly wouldn't expect to see carpet in a
>>> studio control room.

>> I would say carpeting is mandatory in my view in any
>> audio room. So is wall treatments, and ceiling
>> treatments.

> Ahh! I fondly remember the days of gluing egg-trays to
> the ceiling of the lounge until it was completely covered
> from wall to wall.
> Those were the days, when aesthetics took a back-seat to
> sound quality.

At university, my room was fairly small and some really neat egg trays were
available in large volumes from the dumpster behind the residence hall
kitchen. I obtained a large number of them, painted them tasteful colors,
fastened them together into large panels with stiff wire, and literally
covered the walls of my room with them.

They had virtually no beneficial acoustical effects, which measurements bear
out.

Old October 7th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_2_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Arny Krueger wrote:
> "~misfit~" > wrote in
> message
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs GregS wrote:
>>> In article

>> [snip]

>>> I would say carpeting is mandatory in my view in any
>>> audio room. So is wall treatments, and ceiling
>>> treatments.

>> Ahh! I fondly remember the days of gluing egg-trays to
>> the ceiling of the lounge until it was completely covered
>> from wall to wall.
>> Those were the days, when aesthetics took a back-seat to
>> sound quality.

> At university, my room was fairly small and some really neat egg
> trays were available in large volumes from the dumpster behind the
> residence hall kitchen. I obtained a large number of them, painted
> them tasteful colors, fastened them together into large panels with
> stiff wire, and literally covered the walls of my room with them.
>
> They had virtually no beneficial acoustical effects, which
> measurements bear out.

Yeah, I don't think our egg trays did anything either. Still, it was a
talking point. :-)

I actually have one on the side of the 100+ year-old solid timber
chest-of-drawers in my bedroom right now. There is a downward-firing Klipsch
12" sub next to it with the port only around 120mm away and aimed right at
the side. I don't know if that does anything either but I didn't like the
idea of a big port like that breathing so close to a large flat (potentially
resonant) surface.
--
Cheers,