Making neons flicker to music

Old August 7th 05, 04:01 AM
Ray Corzone

Alright. If your neons didnt already come with a sound modulator
(underbody, or Interior neons regaurdless) You can go to your local
instalation, custom shop, and buy a modulator that will pick up ONLY
the bass vibrations of your audio system. With no subs you'll have to
set the sensitivity high, which may cause them to go off if somthing
else impacts them more than your little fac. system. Also this can be
quite expensive if you dont do it yourself. the modulator has to be
wired to the positive wire entering every neon on the car. This is done
by snipping each line going to each neon, reconecting the negitive
directly, then running a line from the now cut incoming power line to
the in sorce of the modulator, and from the out sorce of the modulator
back to the neon's incoming positive power line. A shortcut (depending
on how you power these)
might work by taking the incoming sorce powerline from your battery and
running it from your battery to the incoming sorce of your modulator
and then back to the power sorce wires for the neons. Make sure you
have enough wire to run from the battery to the inside of your car
(this is where you want to put the modulator, preferably in the back
somewhere close, about a foot away, from your speaker, mounted in the
trunk in the center of your 6 by 9s is the ideal location) then you
still need enough wire to run your output from the modulator to the
main power line of the neons. ---- then adjust your sensitivity (there
will be a nob) to where the neons only come on when there is a drum
beat or a bass roll. There are lots of other ways to do this if you
had a decent amp. then you can get the neons to do all kinds of tricks
but thats for another day. and it wont work hooking it up to your deck
then the neons will come on every time you turn your sterio on and
wont blink or shut off unless your sterio is off. if you need
anything else or a diagram on a few neon hookup tricks I'll give you
my e-mail. Please dont missuse it, but if you didnt understand this
gimme a holler. If you see it in picture form it will seem so easy!!

p.s. around here I can normaly add on about 50$ for this. Depending on
the person Im doing it for, and takeing my time to wire it up the long
way putting a fuse on every line (not recomended for you to do, it will
cause you major headache, because this requires special fuses and fuse
jacks.)

--
Ray Corzone
Ray Corzone's Profile:

Old August 7th 05, 12:20 PM
Vertigo

Default Making neons flicker to music

hello

first off, ill say im not completely serious about neons, or car audio,
or anything like this.

i have a completely crap standard tape/radio unit that probably came
with the car from day one (its a 1984 corolla).

i also just added neons to it the other day, for lols and whatnot.
being the geeks we are in this flat, after we were done installing
them, we thought a brilliant thought - how would we go about making the
neons flicker to music?

yea, the stereo is hardly loud enough to play outside the car, but its
more of a proof of concept thing than anything anyway. and i might get
a better audio system eventually too.

my first thought was to wire them to a transistor connected to the
audio output, but this might actually cause the lights to just stay on
until the stereo is turned off.

is there any way to introduce a threshold current to this, and if so,
what kind of electronic component would i need? and if possible, make
it fine tunable?

Old August 7th 05, 04:02 PM
MZ

> hello
>
> first off, ill say im not completely serious about neons, or car audio,
> or anything like this.
>
> i have a completely crap standard tape/radio unit that probably came
> with the car from day one (its a 1984 corolla).
>
> i also just added neons to it the other day, for lols and whatnot.
> being the geeks we are in this flat, after we were done installing
> them, we thought a brilliant thought - how would we go about making the
> neons flicker to music?
>
> yea, the stereo is hardly loud enough to play outside the car, but its
> more of a proof of concept thing than anything anyway. and i might get
> a better audio system eventually too.
>
> my first thought was to wire them to a transistor connected to the
> audio output, but this might actually cause the lights to just stay on
> until the stereo is turned off.
>
> is there any way to introduce a threshold current to this, and if so,
> what kind of electronic component would i need? and if possible, make
> it fine tunable?

A voltage divider (with one of the R's being a pot for adjustment) and a
BJT would do the trick. Throw in a capacitor on the base to make it stay
on for a little bit when it reaches threshold. You could make the circuit
balanced so that it fired on each half of the waveform (+V and -V), but
this shouldn't be necessary. You might want to put a pair of diodes in
the front to prevent any signal getting back to the audio (due to the
capacitor).
Old August 7th 05, 11:54 PM
Vertigo

awesome, cheers guys, will give it a go.

Old December 7th 12, 07:55 AM posted to rec.audio.car

cheers guys it's really awesome Thanks.......
Old December 9th 12, 04:49 PM
Terrybennett Terrybennett is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corzone View Post
Alright. If your neons didnt already come with a sound modulator
(underbody, or Interior neons regaurdless) You can go to your local
instalation, custom shop, and buy a modulator that will pick up ONLY
the bass vibrations of your audio system. With no subs you'll have to
set the sensitivity high, which may cause them to go off if somthing
else impacts them more than your little fac. system. Also this can be
quite expensive if you dont do it yourself. the modulator has to be
wired to the positive wire entering every nice led lights on the car. This is done
[...]

Thanks for sharing this information but I am looking for some led lights now

Last edited by Terrybennett : December 10th 12 at 10:34 AM.

Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Pro Performance ( VSL ), EXS24, 27 DVDs, and GIGA, 43 DVDs, and Quantum Leap music tools, 15 DVDs futa General 0 May 5th 05 01:37 PM
Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Pro Performance ( VSL ), EXS24, 27 DVDs, and GIGA, 43 DVDs, and Quantum Leap music tools, 15 DVDs futa Pro Audio 0 May 5th 05 01:37 PM
Turntable report Jenn High End Audio 81 May 2nd 05 03:26 AM
Voluntary Collective Licensing of Music File Sharing Greg Pro Audio 11 September 1st 04 03:29 PM
On the difference between music lovers and audiophiles [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 4 January 9th 04 02:20 PM