Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] whitedaddy@gmail.com is offline

Default been a few years, everything has changed, need "sound" advice

Ok, I was an audiophile back in 94, 95 when contests featured stereo's
that played music, not tones. (really, i was there) I used to kick ass
all over town with a 72 Olds Delta 88 Royale with a Kenwood pro deck
that had 7v of pre amp output. (was told this was one of the keys to
the system) An alpine 3505 (i think) amp that was 25x 4 but was
capible of more depending on load.... this ran 4 fosgate 5" mids (1 in
each door) and matching tweets, A pair of JBL 6x9's 3 way in the rear
deck, basketed. I also has an LA sound? i think, 120x 2 which powered a
pair of Fosgate 8's in the rear doors with a basket style box behind in
door and a pair of 6.5" mb quartz 2 ways in the kick panels. FOr bass I
had a punch 150 bridged mono running 2 dual voice coil MTX terminators
on a 3 cubic foot sealed undivided box firing backward. For control I
had an audio control EQX EQ and xover. I ran Bass, mid bass, midrange,
and tweet all seperated by the amps. This system is to date the most
impressive I have ever herd without sponsership, litterally would
change your heartbeat when the double badd drum kicked on metallica
One, or Korn Blind in the begining there is a 50Hz tone that was
unbelivable.....

NOW, I have a 89 Prelude and I have started my system and am STUMPED on
which way to go....

I want my old's system, shrunk and modernized for the prelude, and if
this is proper to say, what is most important to me is SQ for mids and
highs and SPL for mono bass. SO i have started by wiring the car
proper, or maybe way overkill, I used 2/0 welder copper strand cable
from optima to trunk with a castrophy 50A fuse inline to a power dist
block, to 3, 4 gauge cables to my amps which are all grounded with 4
gauge as well. I used 4 guage speakerwire to everything and top o the
line rca's on the oppisite side of the car. I am currently running a
old school Punch 150 (the ones you could link together from about 95)
NOT the "HD" series. This powers my sub, 1, 12" JL 12W6V2 2ohm. Wired
bridged mono, of corse, and in a JL audio Pro Wedge box with aprox 1.5
cu feet of air apace. I took atvantage of what came with the car to get
the system off the ground which was, JBL 2 way 6.5" pros in doors and
pioneer walmart specials, 6.5" 2 ways in rear deck. These are run off
of P.O.S. Jensen Rampage 60x2 amps because they were $8 each and I
wanted system in car now! Plans call to replace those 2 amps with a 4
channel and a 2 channel, yet to be decided. I plan on again running an
Audio Control EQX and possibly a matrix, I want seperate bass, mid
bass, mid range, and tweet. My head unit is a sony CDX-F7710 because it
was the highest pre amp output voltage deck I could afford at the time.

SO, THIS IS WHERE YOU GUYS COME IN, lol. I need help catching up on the
last 10 years..... they sell fosgate at best buy, MB quartz are now the
price of a used civic, NO ONE belives there can be an 18 speaker system
run off one old school punch 45... Now there are class A, B and ?
amps??? And i can't find a single stereo store guy's system that hits
as hard as my car 10 years ago. I've asked around and noone can catch
me up. Hell I tried to buy a GIANT amp from the local stereo shop it
was some kind of newer Fosgate, Class A 1000W 4 channel amp. It was on
clearence for $300 and seemed like it was the 4 channel for my long
term goals, but the guy wouldnt sell it to me because it was a class A
and I dont have 2 alternators. I want to get some component 6.5" and 1"
tweets to run in the rear and doors and mid/tweet and to later be
complimented by component 8's as mid bass....(in rear deck with basket
and in pod in door) What brand??? I have a wholesale hookup on boston
acoustic, so for price this would be cool, my #1 best speaker
experiance has been MB quartz, cant afford new, is it safe to buy on
ebay? (used speakers a nono right?) I plan on using the passive x-overs
that come with the speakers untill I buy the EQX, if that matters for
anything. The guy at the stereo place is pushing Focal, are these good?
For Bass I think I want the modern equvilant to my old punch 150 but i
dont get the changes and when i search on here there are those that say
there hasn't been a better bass amp made yet, what about McIntosh I
mean I want to save $ but if I can drop $300 at a time on layaway lol,
I just want the best sound. I thought I wanted a single 12" but I think
I want 2, I Loved the low OHM, dual voice coil make the amp work bit.
Is that still the way to go? I see these $1100 subs that will take
1000's of watts but in the stereo shop that don't sound that much
better.... aaarrrgggghhhhh
THANKS to ANYONE who will help me here lololol

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

In article . com, wrote:

I can see why the guy would sell it, 1000w class A amplifiers are unheard of.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Erik Erik is offline

sorry for top posting

This is entirely subjective... but I'll throw my $0.02 your way.

If you're looking for an absolutely stellar deal on 6.5" components,
take a look at the A/D/S 346cs on ebay. New, $199 shipped, with a 1
year warranty... that's about 3 times under their original msrp. Their
246ix components can be had for $129, about half original MSRP. You
can also find 5.25" and 4" new drivers from
http://stores.ebay.com/ADS-Speakers .

For midbass, take a look at Elemental Designs Audio. They have 6.5"
midbass/subwoofer drivers that are fantastic, and cheap! $45 a pop and
they can easily handle 200-300 watts. They also have great 8" drivers
for $55.

Elemental Designs also have rock solid amps ranging from 4 channel to
mono sub. They also have 2 series of 6.5" components... very highly
regarded.

Go to edesignaudio.com. They have everything you need and ridiculously
good prices. They have online chat and will answer any questions you
have immediately. Also check out their forum on
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24 .

For the best pricing on their equipment be sure to check out their
"group buy" page:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=90

One other thing... you're probably going to get better results outside
of Usenet (unfortunately). r.a.c has been dead for quite a while. The
old school crowd rarely show up here anymore.

Try:

http://forum.sounddomain.com/
http://forum.carstereos.org/
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/