Posted to rec.audio.car
bill

Default improving sound without changing head unit, on a tight budget

Can someone tell me the types of options that I might have to improve
the sound quality of the original equipment that came with my toyota
echo? I don't want to change the head unit in the car as it includes a
cd player, cassette and am/fm. I have found that while the aftermarket
options are many..i dont like the look that they give you.

I know many of you are top end guys, but I am looking to see if there
are moderate options.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
X-OvrDistortion

Run an amp, sound deaden.

--
X-OvrDistortion
Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandon Buckner

Agreed. An External amp will be a night-and-day difference, once you get
clean sound to the speakers at higher volumes. Even something like 50x4
from almost anyone. A single sub would be nice too.

For friends that aren't really into car audio but want an upgraded
system and sound on the cheap, I've gotten decent, inexpensive amps off
ebay, like a Planet Audio 5-channel, and a good 10" sub in a sealed box
with some replacement speakers. It makes an enormous difference in sound
and they are quite happy with it.

Brandonb

X-OvrDistortion wrote:
Run an amp, sound deaden.

Posted to rec.audio.car
bill

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the reply. I will try to source something on ebay. I guess I
could do this in steps. First...get an amp..then replace the speakers.
The guys at the car audio store said that if I replace the speakers I
would need to put in a component that changes the EQ, as the settings
from the head unit are "tuned" for the stock speakers. Of course this
component alone would run over $300.

Brandon Buckner wrote:
Agreed. An External amp will be a night-and-day difference, once you get
clean sound to the speakers at higher volumes. Even something like 50x4
from almost anyone. A single sub would be nice too.

For friends that aren't really into car audio but want an upgraded
system and sound on the cheap, I've gotten decent, inexpensive amps off
ebay, like a Planet Audio 5-channel, and a good 10" sub in a sealed box
with some replacement speakers. It makes an enormous difference in sound
and they are quite happy with it.

Brandonb

X-OvrDistortion wrote:
Run an amp, sound deaden.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

untrue. don't worry about them, they're just trying to sell you stuff.
the steps you mentioned would work just fine

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

These guys are right, adding an amp will probably produce the biggest bang
for your buck. Used amps can be had on Ebay for around $20 that would do
WONDERS to your system. After that, upgrading your speakers would be a good
next step.

But if you are looking for a very simple way to improve your sound, the use
of sound deadening products can do wonders. Dynamat is the industry leader
but is very expensive, there are MANY cheaper options. By applying sound
deadening material inside your door panels and around your door speakers,
you can dramatically improve the sound of your system. I had a friend who
owned a Ford F-250 truck and I had a little Dead-Beat material left over
from another job. I opened up his door and applied this stuff around the
stock speakers and the increase in bass response was dramatic. The reason
is that door sheet metal (like a bell), resonates and therefore A) creates
annoying vibration sounds and B) most important, this resonating robs your
speakers of energy that should be producing sound. By deadening the sheet
metal around the speakers, all the energy from the cone can be channeled
into producing sound. In every car I have ever applied this to, the results
have ALWAYS been impressive and worth the effort/cost.

If you are on a REALLY tight budget, roofing cement can be used instead.
Any petroleum or rubber based product will absorb vibration. You can apply
this stuff with a putty knife on the inside of your door and around your
speaker.

Another benefit of sound deadening is that when driving, road noise inside
the cab is reduced. This makes the PERCEIVED volume of your system seem
louder. Of course, for this to have a very noticeable effect, it takes
deadening the entire doors and preferably the floor and firewall.

Anyway, if you are not interested in adding anything to your system,
sound-deadening might be the best way to improve your system.

MOSFET

ups.com...

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 05:58 PM
Where are those Wascally Weapons of Mass Destwuction??? Jacob Kramer Audio Opinions 1094 September 9th 03 02:20 AM