Analogeezer

Default Digidesign to release new HD Plugin - REAL OXIDE

11/14/2003

For Immediate Release:

DIGIDESIGN TO OFFER NEW HD PLUGIN - REAL OXIDE Analog Tape Simulator

Digidesign, in conjunction with their third party development partner,
Aesthetic Software Systems is proud to announce the release of the
latest HD plugin, called REAL OXIDE.

MSRP for the base REAL OXIDE plugin software is $1295. The optional
OSM hardware interface for the system is priced at an MSRP of $1495.

REAL OXIDE is an audio and olfactory analog tape simulation plugin,
designed to run on Pro Tools HD systems.

"We're offering REAL OXIDE to those Pro Tools users that want or miss
the sound and smell of analog tape" in their all digital studios" said
Digidesign spokesman Dirk Diggler. "REAL OXIDE is designed to fully
emulate all the popular formats and brands of analog tape commonly
used during the 1970's and 1980's"

REAL OXIDE offers full user control over parameters such as brand,
tape formulation, reel size, tape width, and even includes a "sticky
shed" mode for audio restoration simulation.

While REAL OXIDE users can enjoy the audio sounds of
whirring/shuttling tape and clicking relays by routing the audio
output of the plugin throught their HD audio converters, the real
power of REAL OXIDE comes when used in conjunction with the optional
OSM module.

The OSM (Olfactory Simulation Module) is a hardware option that offers
REAL OXIDE users the ACTUAL SMELLS of analog tape. When hooked to the
HD system via a prorietary cable only offered by Digidesign, additonal
olfactory features within the REAL OXIDE plugin environment can be
accessed.

"You've got to smell this little box to believe it" said Diggler, "it
really cops the smell of analog and the simulations are very accurate.
For example it easily allows the user to distinguish between Ampex 456
and 499, and some users have said the GP-9 emulation is actually
better that the real thing"

Currently the OSM module supports the smells of Ampex and EMTEC/BASF
tape, but additional presets for 3M, Scotch, and AGFA PEM are
currently in development.

Not only does the OSM module offer the smells of analog, it also
offers the sound of analog as well. The module also contains a speaker
(4" x 10"), which allows the plugin to route the REAL OXIDE audio tape
sounds simulations to the OSM for playback at the rear of the control
room, or even in the machine room if it has not already been converted
into another vocal booth.

After testing literally hundreds of speakers for the right audio
quality for the OSM, Digidesign and Aesthetic Software Systems settled
on a 4" x 10" whizzer cone equipped car stereo speaker commonly used
as a rear deck speaker in 1980's GM cars.

"We tried all types of speakers for the OSM, some of them very
expensive", said Ron Limbaugh, CEO of Aesthetic Software Systems, but
ironically I brought a
4" x 10" speaker out of my brother in law's dead 1990 Chevy Corsica
into the lab one day, we hooked it up to the OSM and the simulation of
the sound of an analog tape machine was dead on". "Since there are
literally millions of dead 1980's GM cars sitting in junk yards, the
supply for OSM modules is limitless. This speaker also saves a bundle
on production costs, we'd have to charge a lot more for the OSM
without having used the 4" x 10". The whizzer cone is the key though,
speakers with tweeters give the simulation too much high end, but the
whizzer cone has just the right amount of bite and midrange to sound
like a tape machine"

When asked why the plugin software and OSM would not be combined into
a lower cost package, Diggler responded "Get Real, we didn't get to be
Digidesign by offering up a turnkey package at one price, the options
are where the real money is in HD systems."

"Also, requiring the OSM for the full analog tape machine experience
makes the
software less likely to be pirated...hell if it's anything like that
Bomb Factory stuff there will be cracks of REAL OXIDE available on
Kazaa before this press conference is over"

One exciting development of the core technology used in REAL OXIDE is
that with future software updates, it will be possible with additional
instances of the plugin to recreate the total vintage studio
experience while using ProTools HD. New emulations under development
by Aesthetic Software Systems include:

SLUT/HO - This plugin will allow emulation of over-perfumed groupie
chicks in the control room

SMOKE - This plugin will allow emulation of various types of smoke
environments.

"We're really excited about this one" said Limbaugh, "ever since it
became politically incorrect to smoke in the control room it's just
taken something out of the music. Hell look at those old Steely Dan
photos, those guys are smoking ALL OVER the console and thinking
nothing of it"

SMOKE will also allow other variations besides tobacco smoke. "We
expect this plugin to be really popular with the Hip-Hop and Reggae
artists and studios" said Limbaugh.

B/O - This plugin will simulate the smell of artists and engineers
that have not bathed in days. "We actually got some sample smells from
some 1970's Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, and Fleetwood Mac studio sessions
for the development of this plugin" said Limbaugh.

COKE - This plugin will simulate the sound and smells of a "big ole
Pile of blow" in the control room. "We are developing this plugin from
the Eagles Hotel California sessions" said "Limbaugh"

SLUT/HO and COKE will be offered as a twofer plugin, at a price
comparable to the other single plugins for the system.

"We think that in conjunction with Aesthetic Software Systems" we have
developed the ultimate vintage emulation plugin" said Dirk Diggler,
"People can whine all they want about Pro Tools HD, but once the hear
and smell REAL OXIDE they'll forget all about their analog tape decks.
REAL OXIDE will also offer younger artists and engineers the sounds
and smells that they missed from the golden days of studio recording"

REAL OXIDE will be released in Quarter One of 2004, and the SLUT/HO,
SMOKE, B/O, and COKE plugins for the OSM module will be release in
Quarter Two of 2004.

Enjoy.....Analogeezer
eric

It's about time. I was wondering when they were going to come to their
senses and release a plugin that will really fill the gaps between
analog bygone era, and the digital of today.

I've already got my order in!

eric

Analogeezer wrote:
[...]

PVP9847

order now and get a twelve pack of razor blades

Roger W. Norman

Yeah, and the first film to be remastered will undoubtedly be a John Waters
film with Divine. Perhaps Pink Flamingos?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Analogeezer" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Pooh Bear

Analogeezer wrote:

11/14/2003

For Immediate Release:

DIGIDESIGN TO OFFER NEW HD PLUGIN - REAL OXIDE Analog Tape Simulator

Digidesign, in conjunction with their third party development partner,
Aesthetic Software Systems is proud to announce the release of the
latest HD plugin, called REAL OXIDE.

MSRP for the base REAL OXIDE plugin software is $1295. The optional
OSM hardware interface for the system is priced at an MSRP of $1495.

REAL OXIDE is an audio and olfactory analog tape simulation plugin,
designed to run on Pro Tools HD systems.

LMAO ! Nice one. :-) Graham