Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] gibsonguy83@comcast.net is offline

Default Alumapro or JL.

Well dang I dont know where else to turn. So here I am typing.

At the moment I have a pair of 10" Alumapro alchemy subs the 4ohm
version.
I also just purchased a pair of JL-10W6V2. I'm torn with which pair of
subs to put into my Dakota R/T.. I have Focal components driven with a
xtant a4004 and I plan on driving the subs with my a6006 xtant amp.

I know the alumapro's will sound good because I've had them in my other
vehicle for a while with an xtant a3003 amp with a mere 150watts a
piece and they slammed.

Is it me or is JL Just a big noise maker? I heard a 12W7 at a car shop
here in philly it sounded good but it was also being driven with some
zapco 1000watt monster amp..

Deep bass isnt a problem for the alumapros, I would assume with the
size of the jl and its ridiculous magnet structure they make good bass
too.

The question at hand here is which is a better match for the Focal
speakers I have.
My previous vehicle i was running memphis components on a rockford head
with the alumapros.

The new vehicle rig is a pioneer xm head, xtant amp, focal components,
alumapro 5 farad cap.

if anybody has any insight on my delimah that would be great.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb Brandonb is offline

I think the bigger question is what amp will you be using with the subs?
The JL W6V2, if I recall, sound much better with more power than 150w
per sub, where the Alumapro's were more designed for lower power
applications.

The W7 is JL's top of the line sub for people to make their penises seem
larger. They are also highly over-rated and over-priced IMO. The lower
models are not nearly so blatant, but will still get loud and usually
sound good doing it, provided given a proper enclosure.

Either sets of subs you have will sound excellent with your Focal's in
the proper box (dependent on each sub of course). You may want to use
WinISD to model an enclosure that will fit your needs

Brandonb

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] gibsonguy83@comcast.net is offline

I'm running an Xtant A6001 for my subs its 600 watts @ 4 ohms I also
have a 300 watt version of the same amp the A3001, it mated excellent
with my alumapros. Hopefully it will do the same with my JLs.

My enclosure is sealed the MTX 2x10 thunderform that fits under the
rear seat in my dakota. I have a space issue, I need a back seat and
I've modified the mtx box extensively to accept the mounting depth of
the JL or the alumapro. Mtx gives you the great option of using their
woofer which is craponya in my opinion or any woofer with a 5" mounting
depth. At least the box is 1.8 cubic feet of volume, allowing .9 cubic
foot per woofer..

I've decided to try both sets of speakers. I will run the Alumapros
first then the JL. I only do it in that order because I know the JL is
going to make ridiculous bass..

It boils down to me being brand loyal with Alumapro for 5 years of good
service with their alchemy woofer and being afraid of JL and their
instant success..

I might just stick with the alumapro so Im not like everyone else out
their with a w6 and a 500/1 in their trunk..

Thanks for the help though, This has been a confusing task at hand. The
local car shops here are all about Loud obnoxious bass, they wouldnt
know a good system if it bit them in their asses... Anyone who thinks
audiobahn is good stuff should be tazed several times with a cattle
prod.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb Brandonb is offline

Inline...

wrote:
I'm running an Xtant A6001 for my subs its 600 watts @ 4 ohms I also
have a 300 watt version of the same amp the A3001, it mated excellent
with my alumapros. Hopefully it will do the same with my JLs.

The impedances of the JL subwoofers are also a bit different than that
of the Alumapros. The Alchemy's *should* be single 4-ohm right? As those
amps are both monoblocks, wired in parallel that'll be a 2-ohm final
load at 300 watts, or 600 (according to the manual for the A3001/A6001
respectively). The JLs, however, are dual-4-ohm each, which means you'll
have the following final load configurations: 1-ohm, 4-ohm, 16-ohm. The
manual also shows neither of those amps are 1-ohm stable. Oh, and the
A6001 is 600 @ 2 ohms, and only 300 at 4 according to the manual on
Xtant's site. You may have problems properly connecting the JLs.

My enclosure is sealed the MTX 2x10 thunderform that fits under the
rear seat in my dakota. I have a space issue, I need a back seat and
I've modified the mtx box extensively to accept the mounting depth of
the JL or the alumapro. Mtx gives you the great option of using their
woofer which is craponya in my opinion or any woofer with a 5" mounting
depth. At least the box is 1.8 cubic feet of volume, allowing .9 cubic
foot per woofer..

The JLs are wanting a bit more than .9 aren't they? and are you sure
that's still the volume after your extensive modifications?

I've decided to try both sets of speakers. I will run the Alumapros
first then the JL. I only do it in that order because I know the JL is
going to make ridiculous bass..

Always a good plan to compare and see what you like better. I'm still a
little concerned about the wiring of the JLs to those amps though.

It boils down to me being brand loyal with Alumapro for 5 years of good
service with their alchemy woofer and being afraid of JL and their
instant success..

JL and "instant success"? They've been around a bit longer than
Alumapro. Been rather huge since the 80's at least.

I might just stick with the alumapro so Im not like everyone else out
their with a w6 and a 500/1 in their trunk..

Who cares if other people have it as long as it sounds good and works to
your liking?

Thanks for the help though, This has been a confusing task at hand. The
local car shops here are all about Loud obnoxious bass, they wouldnt
know a good system if it bit them in their asses... Anyone who thinks
audiobahn is good stuff should be tazed several times with a cattle
prod.

The money now is selling to young thugs that want ghetto bass and bling.
Audiobahn has its place... but not in my car

Brandonb
Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] gibsonguy83@comcast.net is offline

Hi
I'm gonna ebay them this weekend. if anyone wants them $200 a piece,
like new, used for 1 hour. I hooked them up. Xtant drove them fine..

TOO MUCH BASS... Way to much even with the amp gain next to nothing.

I guess I just wasted $400 for nothing.

And for anyones reference, the alumapro makes deeper lower more crisp
bass. The JL is all about SPL, it makes so much even at low volumes
that it makes a human ear tweak out and distort.

Thanks for the help brandon.