Default do you really need to break in a speaker?

5/14 2 way speakers.... does a guy really need to leave his car
playing music for 24 hours before you can crank it up??? (thats what a
car audio salesman told me)

whats the worst that could happen if you cranked it up after 1 hour of
playing music at medium volume level??

TheBIessedDead

5/14 2 way speakers.... does a guy really need to leave his car
playing music for 24 hours before you can crank it up??? (thats what a
car audio salesman told me)

A salesmen actually told you to leave your car running for 24 hours? How
****ing ridiculous.

Crank up your tunes all you want. You will be fine.

Nick
MZ

Let me ask you this, what will you break-in on a speaker? The mechanical
part that's moving doesn't even touch the other parts. Which is to say,

the
coil doesn't touch the magnet so there's nothing to break in. The rest is
electrical. Tune up your system correctly, and blast it all you want.

The break-in crowd claims it's the suspension that needs breaking-in. Like
stretching, or some such nonsense. Others claim that it's a matter of
heating up the voice coil to bake away crap, or something.

electricked

wrote in message

5/14 2 way speakers.... does a guy really need to leave his car
playing music for 24 hours before you can crank it up??? (thats what a
car audio salesman told me)

whats the worst that could happen if you cranked it up after 1 hour of
playing music at medium volume level??

Let me ask you this, what will you break-in on a speaker? The mechanical
part that's moving doesn't even touch the other parts. Which is to say, the
coil doesn't touch the magnet so there's nothing to break in. The rest is
electrical. Tune up your system correctly, and blast it all you want.

It's different on a car engine where all that parts are touching each other
and they need some time to "fit" together well. That's not the case with
speakers, since there's nothing to break-in there.

--Viktor

Nousaine

"MZ" pam
wrote:

Let me ask you this, what will you break-in on a speaker? The mechanical
part that's moving doesn't even touch the other parts. Which is to say,

the
coil doesn't touch the magnet so there's nothing to break in. The rest is
electrical. Tune up your system correctly, and blast it all you want.

The break-in crowd claims it's the suspension that needs breaking-in. Like
stretching, or some such nonsense. Others claim that it's a matter of
heating up the voice coil to bake away crap, or something.

Break-in of speakers is bull****. A transducer designer at a known company once
told me that speaker spiders (made of cloth and goop) "do" break-in but that
whole process occurs at the QC station when they come off the line or the first
time you stroke the speaker.

I've conducted 3 experiments with speaker break-in using identical woofers and
24, 48 and 150 hours of break-in (per manufacturers recommendation) and found
that if you measure the T/S parameters of a woofer immediately after break-in
when the voice coil is still hot you'll find that the Fs will have fallen by
4-10% but the Vas (compliance) will have increased by a like amount.

Not only do they sound alike but you'll come to the same recommended enclosure
volume with either set of T/S parameters. Measure the same driver a few hours
later and you'll find that it will have returned to its original T/S
parameters.

So the best that can be said is that speakers may "warm up" but that doesn't
affect sound quality or SPL.
Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

I would have thought "breaking in" was nonsense as well, but I overheard a
conversation this weekend that leaves me considerning the possiblity.

I was at a car stereo distributor's show and one of the guys at the M A booth
was mentioning to the other about how much more likely their woofers are to
blow when hit with maximum power during the first 20 hours or so of play. The
indication was that the moving materials of the speaker are somewhat stiff
after manufacture, and pushing them to their limit might cause the materials to
separate rather than flex.

I thought about this in terms of shoes. They're meant to flex as you walk, but
are usually quite stiff for the first few wears.

If this is true - you may not need to break a speaker in for SQ purposes, but
it might be beneficial if you don't want to blow your speaker apart the first
time you power it up.

www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php
MZ

The break-in crowd claims it's the suspension that needs breaking-in.
Like
stretching, or some such nonsense. Others claim that it's a matter of
heating up the voice coil to bake away crap, or something.

Break-in of speakers is bull****. A transducer designer at a known company

once
told me that speaker spiders (made of cloth and goop) "do" break-in but

that
whole process occurs at the QC station when they come off the line or the

first
time you stroke the speaker.

Well, evidently Alumapro doesn't break in their drivers, at least according
to Matthew Honnert from Alumapro. However, I've yet to be presented with
any evidence that there's a difference.

MZ

I would have thought "breaking in" was nonsense as well, but I overheard a
conversation this weekend that leaves me considerning the possiblity.

I was at a car stereo distributor's show and one of the guys at the M A

booth
was mentioning to the other about how much more likely their woofers are

blow when hit with maximum power during the first 20 hours or so of play.

The
indication was that the moving materials of the speaker are somewhat stiff
after manufacture, and pushing them to their limit might cause the

materials to
separate rather than flex.

According to Richard Pierce, who's examined this very thing, the "stiffness"
of the driver takes on the order of seconds to loosen up, and will actually
return to some degree to its original stiffness after all.

Besides, I would think that temperature would make more of a difference in
therms of stiffness.

well...

i got 1 pair of JL 6" speakers here....and 1 pair of Alpine Type S
5-1/4....

they gonna get 5 min of medium volume....then max volume.... Ill let
you know how it turns out tommarrow

MZ

well...

i got 1 pair of JL 6" speakers here....and 1 pair of Alpine Type S
5-1/4....

they gonna get 5 min of medium volume....then max volume.... Ill let
you know how it turns out tommarrow

Just put a ball in it and shove it under your mattress.

MZ

According to Richard Pierce, who's examined this very thing, the
"stiffness"
of the driver takes on the order of seconds to loosen up, and will

actually
return to some degree to its original stiffness after all.

Besides, I would think that temperature would make more of a difference

in
therms of stiffness.

If such a condition actually existed, which I doubt, the most likely cause
would be adhesive that wasn't fully cured.

By temperature, I meant ambient temperature. My point was that 100 degree
differences in temperature would provide greater differences in suspension
stiffness than how new a speaker is. And even that is almost certainly
inaudible.

TheBIessedDead

Just put a ball in it and shove it under your mattress.

Don't forget to put some oil on it and bake it first.

Nick