Mike Rivers

Default Why We Buy Really Good Stuff

In a review of the Aatron Cantar-X (yes, it's a portable digital
recorder - $15,000 to $18,000, batteries included) in the November
2003 issue of Audio Media, Alistair McGhee writes:

"You'd never know it from looking at my pictures but my favorite
camera is a Rollei 6x6. The quality of its design, build, and
engineering far exceed my poor ability as a photographer, and that's
one of the many reasons I bought it. I wasn't deluded enough to think
that it would make me a great image maker, but I knew that using it
would be a rewarding experience so that would encourage me to take
more picutres--so it has proved."

I fear that many people buy a high end mic or preamp thinking that it
will make them better singers. The truth is that it might imspire them
to BECOME better singers because it just feels better to do it when
the equipment with which you're working feels and looks good.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Rob Adelman

Mike Rivers wrote:

I fear that many people buy a high end mic or preamp thinking that it
will make them better singers.

But as you next point, it just may work.

The truth is that it might imspire them
to BECOME better singers because it just feels better to do it when
the equipment with which you're working feels and looks good.

Yes, that is VERY true. Can't speak for anyone else, but when I sing, or
play the guitar, when I happen to get the chain just right, the
relationship between fingers on the strings, or vocal chords, and what
is reaching my ears can make all the difference in the world.

When the sound is right, I will often find hours passing by before I
know it. Practice practice practice...
When the sound is just mediocre, I get bored very quickly.

Inspiration is a crucial component.

-Rob

p.s. Of course this changes over time. When I first started, that replay
on my Radio Shack cassette recorder was very inspiring

Blind Joni

heck, when I FIRST started, doing cassette to cassette whilst adding another
vocal sounded GOOD, and kept me interested for HOURS!!! It lead me to my
current addictive state (gear slut extraordinaire!!!). And I even make a
living at it now - WOW!!!

Same here..I was celebrating a B'day in Montreal in '85 or so and my Harman
Kardon cassette deck was stolen from our car..so I went and bought on of those
Yamaha 4 track units that ran at regular cassette speed...recorded 4
tracks..mixed them and sang harmonies at the same time..and than added more
tracks..really fun and inspired me to expand..and expand..and..well you get the
picture!!

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Noel Bachelor

On or about Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:23:55 -0600, Rob Adelman allegedly wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

I fear that many people buy a high end mic or preamp thinking that it
will make them better singers.

But as you next point, it just may work.

The truth is that it might imspire them
to BECOME better singers because it just feels better to do it when
the equipment with which you're working feels and looks good.

Yes, that is VERY true. Can't speak for anyone else, but when I sing, or
play the guitar, when I happen to get the chain just right, the
relationship between fingers on the strings, or vocal chords, and what
is reaching my ears can make all the difference in the world.

As well as the inspiration factor, there is also the fact that the better
you hear what you are doing, or have done, the more you will learn how to
do a better job. The more clearly your gear shows up subtle differences,
the more clearly you will learn the effect of various choices.

Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)
Language Recordings Inc (Darwin Australia)