Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Carts and arms vs. carts and phono stages

It isn't a matter of "versus", but a matter of electrical and
mechanical/resonance compatibility.

No one ever really points out that most of the subjective blather in
non-testing (non-measuring that is) comparisons is really useless
because you have these variables lfoating around. And the vast
majority of the high end sales and reviewers are not only wholly
ignorant of the issue, and have no METHODOLOGY to deal with it, but
DON'T KNOW, and DON'T CARE, that they are wholly ignorant.

Clear and concise procedures are no where to be found.

But if you suggest these same people are therefore not to be taken
seriously,,,,oh boy do they get upset.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason! Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason! is offline

On Jun 1, 5:40*pm, Bret L wrote:

and have no METHODOLOGY

*Clear and concise procedures are no where to be found.

Go ahead. Post the "clear and concise" procedures and the METHODOLOGY.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jun 1, 8:12*pm, "Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Jun 1, 5:40*pm, Bret L wrote:

and have no METHODOLOGY
*Clear and concise procedures are no where to be found.

Go ahead. Post the "clear and concise" procedures and the METHODOLOGY.

Like arms and cartridges, it's very easy to find a phono preamp from
$600 to $1000 that will handle virtually every cartridge on the
market. At this price point, go for the preamp that lets you make
adjustments via knobs on the front vs. internal dip switches.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Jun 1, 8:12*pm, "Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Jun 1, 5:40*pm, Bret L wrote:

and have no METHODOLOGY
*Clear and concise procedures are no where to be found.

Go ahead. Post the "clear and concise" procedures and the METHODOLOGY.

I actually don't have a methodology or a fixed procedure. But at
least I KNOW I am lacking this important information (and seek to
correct this deficiency) whereas the high enders both lack it and the
knowledge that it is necessary.

As for "any modern pre will work", yes, after a fashion it will.

Permanently soldered components-the right ones once you know what
they are-are an advantage over DIP or panel rotary, or even the relays
used for remote controlled settings. That's why optimum results mean
you have to be able to solder. Optimum, means the best possible.
Consumerized solutions can approach but never achieve it since they
have to accomodate all contingencies.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jun 2, 4:06*pm, Bret L wrote:
On Jun 1, 8:12*pm, "Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!"

wrote:
On Jun 1, 5:40*pm, Bret L wrote:

and have no METHODOLOGY
*Clear and concise procedures are no where to be found.

Go ahead. Post the "clear and concise" procedures and the METHODOLOGY.

*I actually don't have a methodology or a fixed procedure. But at
least I KNOW I am lacking this important information (and seek to
correct this deficiency) *whereas the high enders both lack it and the
knowledge that it is necessary.

*As for "any modern pre will work", yes, after a fashion it will.

*Permanently soldered components-the right ones once you know what
they are-are an advantage over DIP or panel rotary, or even the relays
used for remote controlled settings. That's why optimum results mean
you have to be able to solder. Optimum, means the best possible.
Consumerized solutions can approach but never achieve it since they
have to accomodate all contingencies.

And yet the best-sounding phono preamps tend to have all the user
conveniences as well, so you can have your cake and eat it too.

Your comments mirror the fact that the best speaker wire connections
are ones that are hardwired inside the speakers. Too bad it can't be
approved by UL. But if you DIYers want to set your houses on fire, go
ahead.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Jun 2, 8:01*pm, Boon wrote:
On Jun 2, 4:06*pm, Bret L wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:12*pm, "Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!"

wrote:
On Jun 1, 5:40*pm, Bret L wrote:

and have no METHODOLOGY
[...]

UL approval applies to mains connections, not speaker connections.

Even then UL approval is not required for consumer products in the US
except under certain conditions. Many high end audio commercial
products are not UL approved.

EU countries require a different approval.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jun 3, 8:18*pm, Bret L wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:01*pm, Boon wrote:

On Jun 2, 4:06*pm, Bret L wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:12*pm, "Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!"

wrote:
On Jun 1, 5:40*pm, Bret L wrote:

and have no METHODOLOGY
[...]

I've had three separate engineers tell me otherwise. Nice try.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jun 2, 4:06*pm, Bret L wrote:
On Jun 1, 8:12*pm, "Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!"

wrote:
On Jun 1, 5:40*pm, Bret L wrote:

and have no METHODOLOGY
*Clear and concise procedures are no where to be found.

Go ahead. Post the "clear and concise" procedures and the METHODOLOGY.

*I actually don't have a methodology or a fixed procedure. But at
least I KNOW I am lacking this important information (and seek to
correct this deficiency) *whereas the high enders both lack it and the
knowledge that it is necessary.

So you know you don't have what you're whning about and you don't have
the knowledge to create one.

Yup, that's one superior position you're in alright.

Expensive carts often more colored sounding, less neutral calvin coolidge Audio Opinions 0 April 21st 09 08:34 PM
ZU DL-103 carts TT Audio Opinions 8 March 30th 09 05:46 AM
Retreiving audio from old braodcast carts [email protected] Pro Audio 16 June 28th 06 03:05 PM
NEW GRADO PRESTIGE CARTS DISCOUNTED! Ed Saunders Marketplace 0 November 25th 05 11:27 PM
Retipping Rega carts? Colin B. Tech 1 September 29th 04 08:34 AM