Chad Wahls

Default a/d/s and other speakers... PING Durbin

I have recently have begun design stages on a system for my new car.
Currently in my other vehicle (replaced but kept for utility use) I have a
set of a/d/s AL6's that I love. My favorite thing about them is the
tweeters, they are so natural sounding without the new skool screech that is
so common now. Although not annoying, they are very articulate in that
piano overtones, spit in mouth, a close guitar fret can plainly be heard.

I have planned on removing the AL6's and placing them in the new vehicle
while replacing the AL6's in the old vehicle with a more cost effective
alternative. I paid next to nothing for the AL6's as I got them used from a
very trustworthy source. I have enjoyed them, well worth the money.

Out of laziness and curiosity I was wondering if the current a/d/s tweeters
employ the same sonic signature/philosophy as the older units or if they
sound more "trendy"

In other words I am thinking about just getting new speakers for the new
car. Are there any other brands that anyone would recommend? I never liked
quarts as they were too brash. Just not up on the new gear as this is the
first personal buy/build in 6 years

I listen to my system as flat as possible

I'm not going for volume

They will be biamped

6.5" and 1" tweet each getting a possible 50 watts.

Going into a Honda Civic Si using the stock tweeter locations for now,
maybe a move to the kick panel later.

ANY ideas would be helpful, Thanks!

Chad

Tony F

I can't really comment on the quality of a/d/s speakers today vs.
yesteryear, but I've "heard" that they're not as respected as they used to
be. Don't quote me.

I am very partial to my Dynaudio speakers that I have. They are extremely
neutral and natural sounding, similar to what you said you're looking for.
They are very articulate and detailed yet they completely lack that
brightness you speak of. I would even go as far as to say they're "boring"
sounding compared to all the mainstream brands out there. I love them.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

Chad Wahls

PERFECT!!!!!

I used to build a lot with Dynaudio in the past but mostly pro monitors
and Hi-Fi. I always liked them for the same reasons as you. I do
remember they respond well to EQ tweaks without artifacts and have a
nice impedance response. I will look into these. Thanks Tony.

Chad

John Durbin

Tony,

If you "can't really comment", why bother passing on what you've
"heard"? Better to stick to simply pimping the Dyn's - which are
obviously fine speakers, although personally I much preferred their raw
drivers i.e. D28AF, D52, M17504 etc. - and leave the nebulous bashing to
the clueless. '

FWIW, I've "heard" equally erroneous gossip, such as that a/d/s/ is no
longer in business more times than I can count, yet when I look on my
desk I see 2005 product catalogs, and when I look in the warehouse I see
a healthy inventory of home & mobile product.

Moral of the story is you shouldn't believe what you "hear" on the
internet unless the source is reputable, and even then get corroboration!

JD

Tony F wrote:
I can't really comment on the quality of a/d/s speakers today vs.
yesteryear, but I've "heard" that they're not as respected as they used to
be. Don't quote me.

I am very partial to my Dynaudio speakers that I have. They are extremely
neutral and natural sounding, similar to what you said you're looking for.
They are very articulate and detailed yet they completely lack that
brightness you speak of. I would even go as far as to say they're "boring"
sounding compared to all the mainstream brands out there. I love them.

Tony

John Durbin

Chad,

As a guy that cut his teeth in 12V with 300i's and 320i's - i.e. "old
school a/d/s/ - and that is reasonably familiar with the just-past
generation of a/d/s/ components (the 2- and 3-series "is" models) as
well as the current product, here's my take on this stuff:

I personally like the older models like your AL6's and the old school
320is generation a LOT.

I'm not as crazy about the 2- and 3-series "is" models that were
discontinued last year. I find those tweeters to be very good at some
things - lack of background noise, articulate, non-resonant etc. - but
lousy at others - like off-axis performance, HF extension, power
handling. The mids were worse; very hard to get them to handle enough
power to produce convincing midbass. The system's overall strength is in
its midrange presence and efficiency. That makes them good at projecting
a strong vocal for instance, and fairly effective with low power amps.
And, people have won SQ championships with these - for what that's
worth. Those same tweeters are in a lot of the speakers in my home
theater system, where they do very well - on-axis and in a much quieter
environment than a car.

However, listening to those speakers vs. yours or the 320is or the
current 2-series "ix" or 3-series "cs" systems reveals big differences
in my experience. The last-gen "is" stuff sounds like listening to AM
radio vs. FM for the much older or newer systems, is the best I can
describe it. Kind of a compressed sound, no top end sparkle, no bass
presence, and makes my ears hurt at any kind of higher volume. And, you
can see signs of that in a response curve - too hot in the middle and
too much sag on the bottom and top ends.

My guess is you would very much enjoy the new 3-series - I know I like
them more and more in my daily driver - as they are closer
philosophically to your AL6's than to the stuff they replaced. Biggest
differences would be substantially better midbass performance (possibly
the best a/d/s/ car drivers ever in this area), better overall system
power handling, better off-axis tweeter peformance (not everyone can
count on facing the tweeter directly at the ear). The two areas you
might find different are the upper midrange is not particularly forward
(vs. the discon'd "is" product) and the tweeter has a fair amount
more HF extension than the polymer film tweeters from the "is" product.
I think they're closer to your AL6 silk domes in that respect, but they
are definitely more "live" than the polymer film which means you don't
get that real quiet background that the "is" ones had - mostly because
the new ones don't roll off as early.

I also happen to like Dynaudio stuff a lot personally but mostly the raw
drivers like D28AF, D52, W175-04 etc., not as big a fan of the car
systems they distribute these days. However, you probably can't go wrong
there either. But, if you like the AL6's you should also like our
current product - a lot.

JD

Chad Wahls wrote:

[...]

MZ

John, I don't entirely share your opinion of those tweeters. I've run mine
on-axis, kinda-sorta on-axis (super-technical term for bouncing them off the
windshield), and currently off-axis. These were one of the better tweeters
I've had for off-axis response, though I'm not sure if I should instead
attribute it to the rest of the front stage and the tailoring of the levels
and xover parameters to the particular installation. My inclination is to
say that the level controls and active xover adjustements is mostly
responsible for the nice off-axis performance I'm getting, but I wouldn't
know otherwise. In any case, Chad says he plans on biamping, so he'll
probably have the same luxury if he chooses the right xovers or amplifiers.

Also, I've had no problems with the power handling of these tweeters (but I
tend to have my highs set rather low relative to others), but as you may
recall, I consider the power handling of the matching 4" midranges to be
atrocious. This seems especially out of place, since I've got the same 6's
blasting away powered by 2 channels of an Orion 8004, which isn't exactly a
lightweight.

I've also owned and installed several a/d/s/ speakers older than these, but
I can't recall the model numbers off hand. I've always considered them top
notch, and I don't see a dramatic fall-off in performance between those and
the 3-series (aside from the 4's I mentioned).

Chad Wahls wrote:

[...]

Chad Wahls

[...]

Thank you for your time John,

I have been an a/d/s fan since I got into Hi-Fi. I still own 2 pair of
older a/d/s Hi-Fi speakers in my home. My L570's are so familiar to me that
I actually do studio mixing on them, why, because I am very used to them and
they do not fatigue me. If I go to another studio I have a set in road
cases and roll right in. Sometime I'll get you a pic of some beat up 570's
sitting next to a set of shiny new Genelec's. Make the a/d/s team proud

I'm very open, I too have used Dynaudo component drivers and was very
pleased. I have also used Morel, I need to look into those units also
again.

I will check out your current product line ASAP, once again I appreciate
your time, thank you!

Chad

Tony F

"If you "can't really comment", why bother passing on what you've "heard"?"

I wrote TWO very obvious disclaimers in my post, namely that I couldn't
personally comment because I haven't heard them myself AND "Don't quote me".
I was merely stating what I heard and specifically wrote that.

But then you say that the recently discontinued line, the "is" line I
believe, sounded like AM radio compared to the old-school stuff which was
like FM radio.

So basically what I "heard" was pretty right-on with your opinion of the
"is" line. What's different is there's apparently a new line of speakers,
the "ix" and "cs" that I didn't know about and these are more in-line with
the philosophy of what "a/d/s" means to most of us that have been around a
while.

What would have been nice is if you had said, "Gee, Tony...until the release
of the latest line of speakers I would totally agree with you. However the
new line pretty much kicks ass"

So anyway, if someone asks down the line how the new "ix" or "cs" speakers
are compared to old school a/d/s, I'll probably write what I "heard" from
you.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
Focal 130HCs For Rear Fill, 2 Soundstream EXACT10s In Aperiodic Enclosure

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

Ocelaris

Chad,
There is a guy on ebay who sells the "old school" drivers, a very
nice fellow Mr. Richard So, who helped me to equip myself with some of
the components which are the 346is. I have those driven by an 860mx
bridged down to 4 channels, and although I am in no position to judge
quality on any subjective or quantitative basis with other brands or
a/d/s/ models, they sound hella nice to me. I do have the newer R10s
10" subwoofer which sounds very good to me, so I am quite pleased so
far with the newer a/d/s/ stuff, but I can't say I've used the newer
components.

Mr. Durbin, I actually had given you call about that 860mx, and I
managed to get everything setup nicely, so thank you for your call
back.

A few pictures of my system... (just a link, not a binary, hope not
against the rules)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...r_Pics/Stereo/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...leaning/day03/

Long time Lurker, 3rd time poster. I have a very nice 450mx I picked up
recently that I am trying to part with also for the a/d/s/ fans
watching at home...

Chad Wahls

"Ocelaris" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have the crossover modules for that amp for the 320i series of seperates,
I think it's a 2500 Hz crossover freq, you could biamp I have an 850MX
that's dead in the water with one bad channel that I need a schematic for I
was biamping the al6's with it and having the other 4 channels bridged for
subs. I may sell them (crossovers), I'll put the amp on the bench in a week
or so and see just how dead it is.

Chad

Chad Wahls

"Ocelaris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Chad,
There is a guy on ebay who sells the "old school" drivers, a very
nice fellow Mr. Richard So, who helped me to equip myself with some of
the components which are the 346is. I have those driven by an 860mx
bridged down to 4 channels, and although I am in no position to judge
quality on any subjective or quantitative basis with other brands or
a/d/s/ models, they sound hella nice to me. I do have the newer R10s
10" subwoofer which sounds very good to me, so I am quite pleased so
far with the newer a/d/s/ stuff, but I can't say I've used the newer
components.

BTW you wouldn't happen to have white dash lighting would you

Chad

Ocelaris

BTW you wouldn't happen to have white dash lighting would you

I DO! It's a small world after all! Are you on ephatch ? Guess you
already know my SN there, drop me a PM sometime.

I actually was being really stupid and blew my 860mx, but had it
repaired by a guy in PA, The company is CIA Engineering. I forget his
name, but he does excellent work. Not to mention just got done fixing
my 860mx, so probably quite familiar with the layout. Drop me an email
to Ocelaris at cox dot net and I will give you his phone #. But I guess
if you have a "bench" to put it on, you probably can fix it yourself
:-)

I really should look into bi-amping, I have a D-class amp running the
sub, but had considered running that 450mx to drive the sub. Or doing
what you said, with the 850/860mx the way it is set from the factory to
run the fronts + subs...

Isn't the 50watts too much for those tweeters and not enough for the
woofers? So you just take out the onboard crossovers and they are
effectively defeated? Really wish I could get a hold of someone for
like 10 minutes to ask all these questions about the 8 channel MX
series, I know there is a "cookbook" which goes into better
descriptions than the manual. Which by the way I have hosted he

http://photobucket.com/albums/v511/Ocelaris/ads_manual/

The flexibility is amazing, I thought I knew a decent amount about
audio, but this amp has humbled me beyond belief, but the punishment is
worth it!

Chad Wahls

"Ocelaris" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW you wouldn't happen to have white dash lighting would you

I DO! It's a small world after all! Are you on ephatch ? Guess you
already know my SN there, drop me a PM sometime.

K-series.com

I actually was being really stupid and blew my 860mx, but had it
repaired by a guy in PA, The company is CIA Engineering. I forget his
name, but he does excellent work. Not to mention just got done fixing
my 860mx, so probably quite familiar with the layout. Drop me an email
to Ocelaris at cox dot net and I will give you his phone #. But I guess
if you have a "bench" to put it on, you probably can fix it yourself
:-)

It shouldn't be a problem for me, I think I popped a driver, finals all
look/test OK.

I really should look into bi-amping, I have a D-class amp running the
sub, but had considered running that 450mx to drive the sub. Or doing
what you said, with the 850/860mx the way it is set from the factory to
run the fronts + subs...

It sounds sweet!

Isn't the 50watts too much for those tweeters and not enough for the
woofers? So you just take out the onboard crossovers and they are
effectively defeated? Really wish I could get a hold of someone for
like 10 minutes to ask all these questions about the 8 channel MX
series, I know there is a "cookbook" which goes into better
descriptions than the manual. Which by the way I have hosted he

I never found the 50 watts anemic for the mids, it is a stout 50 watts!
Also remember you are going straight to the woofer, no big coils to soak up
power As for the tweets, you will be fine, they will end up being turned
way down because they are sooo much more efficient than the mids. They will
rarely if ever see the full output of the amplifier.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v511/Ocelaris/ads_manual/

The flexibility is amazing, I thought I knew a decent amount about
audio, but this amp has humbled me beyond belief, but the punishment is
worth it!

Somewhere I have a description of all the pins and what they do for the
jumpers, you can get very creative with this chart... I need to go
a-looking!

I'll PM you, Have a question about your sub box.

Chad

John Durbin

My point was that passing on what you hear from other people as opposed
to what you've heard yourself - sans any qualification that might let
one judge whether THEY had a clue - is pretty much the scourge of the
internet and mostly a waste of time. One could harvest opinions and
database them by brand and puke up a virtual cornucopia of love/hate on
demand... but it wouldn't be very meaningful to the person seeking advice.

And, as I mentioned there are people that swear by the "is" stuff
despite what I said about it - which reinforces the personal nature of
speaker appreciation or the lack thereof. Ultimately people should
listen themselves and let their own ears answer the question.

JD

Tony F wrote:
[...]

John Durbin

Richard is a good guy and was a key player in a/d/s/ acoustic design for
some time. He's able to repair or soemtimes build from scratch some of
the nice vintage a/d/s/ stuff, definitely a good contact.

My opinion of the "is" speakers vs. some of the much earlier models or
the current a/d/s/ designs shouldn't be construed as a slam on him or
the rest of the crew from that period - I liked and respected all of
them personally, just didn't care for the "is" speakers once I listened
to them carefully vs. some other "reference" systems.

JD