Samuel Groner

Default Connecting Pin 1 to chassis

Hi

Is there any disadvantage when connecting Pin 1 over a 10 nF-cap to
the chassis instead of a "direct solution"? I think the advantage
would be to eliminate a NF-groundloop while still having good
RFI-protection. But there are some companies (ie Rane or Cadac) that
do not recommend it in their white papers, but they do not mention
why.

I'm talking about inputs to a poweramp for live use, not outputs or
mic-cables.

Thanks
Samuel
Samuel Groner

Is there any disadvantage when connecting Pin 1 over a 10 nF-cap to
the chassis instead of a "direct solution"? I think the advantage
would be to eliminate a NF-groundloop while still having good
RFI-protection. But there are some companies (ie Rane or Cadac) that
do not recommend it in their white papers, but they do not mention
why.

Not entirely sure.

Not sure about?

Samuel
-

Pooh Bear wrote in message ...

On my later amplifier designs we offered a Pin 1 lift to solve
groundloop problems with unbalanced sources. Shouldn't normally be a
problem with balanced unless there's a *big* loop.

Even when lifted there was 100n in parallel with 10k to chassis IIRC.

exactly, this is often cause of this solution
if the ground is poor designed, some problems with
the groundloop could appear...

Samuel Groner

What's a "NF-groundloop" (NeFarious???) and how is it different
from an ordinary groundloop?

Sorry, that was german. NF means not HF (high freq.) - below some 100 kHz.
Samuel