MartyMcLeod

Hi, how about these suggestions?

1. Generally speaking, stick with a name brand amplifier that's been
around a long time. What with eBay, it's possible to get a lot more
for the money...unfortunately buying off of the internet means you
might lose your manufacturer's warranty (the seller may offer a limited
warranty, though).

2. You really should mount the amplifier somewhere so that it won't
fly off especially in case of an accident. 4 little #8 screw holes
aren't really noticeable and will protect you, the amp, and your
wallet!

3. Amplifier installation kits are nice to use and will make the
installation quality a lot better (not to mention better looking too)

4. Don't run wiring outside of the car body, around the fender, etc!
Run it through the firewall, especially if you can go through a factory
grommet otherwise you might have to be prepared to drill.

5. If you don't feel up to the job, take it to a certified/experienced
installer. You might be surprised how much grief it takes just to run
a +12V wire to the battery in today's vehicles.

Good luck!

Marty

--
MartyMcLeod
MartyMcLeod's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=34271

MartyMcLeod

PS: one idea is that in case you don't have a flat metal surface the
same size as your amplifier, you can cut a small piece of MDF or
paperboard material, mount this to the car, and then mount the amp to
this.

Here in the US I can get material for about $2.44 and create an amp or
crossover mounting surface from this...just an idea to keep in mind...

--
MartyMcLeod
MartyMcLeod's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=34271
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=217062

Simon Dean

Default Installing an AMP for the Average Person

Still to to contact Clarion Dealers in the UK regarding my overheating
then clipping Clarion head unit... one has suggested to reground the
radio... Of course the radio actually grounds itself through its metal
chassis directly to the frame of the dash. And it will be nigh on
impossible to achieve any other ground point.

So Im thinking of the possibility of Amplifiers. Anyone know of any
install guides?

Im thinking of a JBL 75.4, or there's a couple Mutant NW280SP's on eBay.
Does anyone know what these are like? Or should I stick with JBL?

When it comes to fitting, Im one of those people that like to keep the
interior of the car as original as possible. ie, no drilling holes in
metal to mount frivalous equipment that could be replaced within a year
by something of a different size etc... no drilling holes that will lead
to excess rust... no chobbling bits out of plastic etc (unless it can be
well hidden).

But most of the installs I've seen on the internet so far, have required
these impressive but IMHO ludicrous fibre glass modifications and
everything, building fake panels etc, destroying any chance of removing
the spare wheel when you get a flat, or even buying any shopping!

Underneath the seats are heater vents too. So right now, Im doing a
feasibility study about installing an AMP. So if anyone knows any tips
or guides on the internet, for AMP installs for the average person who
goes shopping, and wants to access their spare wheel, I'd really
appreciate it...

Cheers
Simon
Simon Dean

I've already had half the car taken apart fitting CD Changers, so wiring
fitting isn't too much of a bother for me. And wiring through the
bulkhead would be fine.

It's just the amplifier mounting.

Thanks for the ideas.

What are some good recommended amps then? I've seen Mutant amps in the
local Halfords here in the UK, but I don't know anything about them. JBL
I'd have imagined to have a fairly good name, they make some good
speakers that Im happy with, but before I invest any money in an AMP I'd
like to know if they ARE good?

Thanks
Simon
Spike

Mine is mounted in the trunk. I installed a trunk carpet kit in my 65
Mustang. Under the carpet, up by the back seat wall, I installed a
solid wood plank under the carpeting and used adhesive (like they use
for paneling in a home) to hold it in place. The amp is installed on
top of the carpet. The red and chrome of the amp is contrasted by the
black carpet. Sitting along side it, and mounted in the same way, is
the 10 disc cd changer. Pop in a cartridge and I have about 3.5 hors
of sounds if I let it run straight through. Which is a good time for a
gas stop and leg stretch. Maybe sooner if I kick it : ) That 4 barrel
sucks gas.

On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:26:51 +0000, MartyMcLeod
wrote:

PS: one idea is that in case you don't have a flat metal surface the
same size as your amplifier, you can cut a small piece of MDF or
paperboard material, mount this to the car, and then mount the amp to
this.

Here in the US I can get material for about $2.44 and create an amp or
crossover mounting surface from this...just an idea to keep in mind...

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Mister.Lull

I like JBL amps... I haven't had any complaints about mine (granted
I've only owned two, but both have been excellent)!!! As far as
mounting your amp, it looks like you're just powering your internal
speakers with this one right? A suggestion might be to mount it
upside-down in the trunk side of your rear deck. Heat diffusion is
great there, and you don't have to worry a whole lot about mounting on
a metal surface, usually. The only drawback about that spot is that
you'll be running all the wires to the trunk, as opposed to somewhere
closer to your battery and all... [/twocents]

Mister.Lull

Kirby

I am currently using the JBL 180.2 and so far it's been great. It's never
actualy given me any problems. A friend of mine has the 600.1 I believe it
is, and he likes it as well. The only problem he's had is overheating. I
have not though, and I push it to the maximum.Both of these amps are in the
same series, so I would think you would have the same good experience with
them. I have owned older JBL stuff that has gone to heaven though. I have an
older JBL "Loud and Clear" 50x2 amp that I still havnt gotten around to
fixing. And I had JBL "decade" 6.5 speakers that decided to make odd noises.
I still keep going back to them though.