AntiSpammer

Default Is there a industry standard for types of alternators?

or everyone just make their own mounting?

Sm704

AntiSpammer wrote:
or everyone just make their own mounting?

The other day I was asking my mechanic a similar question. I told him
that I wanted to replace my stock alternator with a higher output one.
He said that I would have to be sure that it will fit my car because
most cars use different mounting brackets. However, I've read on the
internet how someone fashioned their own bracket so they could fit a
higher output alternator into their vehicle. I guess it really depends
on the kind of car you own...

Spike

you might try Summit or Jegs for brackets. Give them or Power Master,
or even March Performance a call. Sorry I don't have the numbers
handy, but you can Google for them. I found Overmaster and March to be
extremely customer friendly, and Summit and Jegs were quite good about
answering questions, etc, as well.

I've also noted a number of comments about people having either
adapted an existing bracket (ie GM to use on Ford, or vice versa), or
actually creating their own with a piece of scrap metal and a grinder,
etc. I would guess much depends on individual abilities.

REMEMBER! Measure TWICE (at least : ) before you cut.

On 5 May 2005 15:13:57 -0700, "Sm704" wrote:

AntiSpammer wrote:
or everyone just make their own mounting?

The other day I was asking my mechanic a similar question. I told him
that I wanted to replace my stock alternator with a higher output one.
He said that I would have to be sure that it will fit my car because
most cars use different mounting brackets. However, I've read on the
internet how someone fashioned their own bracket so they could fit a
higher output alternator into their vehicle. I guess it really depends
on the kind of car you own...

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Antispammer

thanks everyone.

but then....what about the factory installed alternator regulator?
need to change it too?