EddieM

Default Clarion DRZ9255, need your O.

I've narrow my choice down to this particular head-unit
mainly, as they said, for its excellent SQ.

I certainly appreciate opinions from those with hand-on
experience and/or from those familiar with this unit

http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/...s/DRZ9255.html

What more can be said about this handsome unit ?

Eddie
San Jose CA

winkenstein

i remember that H/U very fondley, it first debut in the early to mid
90's (some where around '93-'95) it was available for the first time
back when clarion had thr DRX-9175,
and the DRX-9275, and it was considered the best of the best, and was
at a suggested price of $800 - $1000, back then.

it was way ahead of it's time, and apparently it was out of the
consumers range back then.

and it has been just RE-released, because of such a high demand.

it is still supposed to be the cream of the crop.
for it's superb sound quality, and simple, easy to operate
functionality.

boy, i kinda miss my older DRX-9275 by clarion and the eqh-5100 i had
to go along with it, that was a stupid move on my part to let it go.

EddieM

"winkenstein" wrote in message

i remember that H/U very fondley, it first debut in the early to mid
90's (some where around '93-'95) it was available for the first time
back when clarion had thr DRX-9175,
and the DRX-9275, and it was considered the best of the best, and was
at a suggested price of $800 - $1000, back then.

it was way ahead of it's time, and apparently it was out of the
consumers range back then.

and it has been just RE-released, because of such a high demand.

it is still supposed to be the cream of the crop.
for it's superb sound quality, and simple, easy to operate
functionality.

boy, i kinda miss my older DRX-9275 by clarion and the eqh-5100 i had
to go along with it, that was a stupid move on my part to let it go.

Thanks for sharing that. It's been about 6 yrs since last I went into
rampage buying car audio stuff. After reading your post, it sound
like this model is a good investment. It's going to replace my older
Sony CDX-C910. I wonder which deliver sonically better sound.

[... off to work.]

winkenstein

i gaurantee you, once you get that clarion, your gonna take that sony
you now have,
and throw it off of the first freeway bridge that you come across while
your doing 80mph. down the interstate. all because of the sound
quality difference, and the ease off operation.

i promise you, your gonna love it.

please re-post YOUR opinion once you get it installed and have it all
adjusted.

Tony F

I recently read the online owners manual for the unit and was quite happy
with its operation. Like my Eclipse, it has outputs for a 3-way component
set so you can individually set time alignment and output level for each
speaker....good stuff. But the Clarion has an additional sub output, which
my Eclipse does NOT have. Really good stuff! Another thing I like about
the Clarion is the fact that the face is solid...no motorized, flip up and
down and all around with the flashy display. I have to admit I've been
thinking more and more about the 9255. EddieM...please let us know how to
like it when you get it. I'm particularly interested in how well you can
read the display in daylight. May I ask where you're going to purchase it
from? I see that you can buy them on eBay for under $800.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

EddieM

winkenstein" wrote

i gaurantee you, once you get that clarion, your gonna take that sony
you now have,
and throw it off of the first freeway bridge that you come across while
your doing 80mph. down the interstate. all because of the sound
quality difference, and the ease off operation.

i promise you, your gonna love it.

Lol! Alright! You made me feel buying and shopping for audio gears
fun again. But really, so far everything I've heard and read about this
head-unit has been positive, and that this unit seems among
the best out there.

please re-post YOUR opinion once you get it installed and have it all
adjusted.

Absolutely. As Tony F requested, I owe it to this group to share what
this unit is about....

..... to be continued.

EddieM

Tony F" wrote

Hi Tony, yeah I came back from work this am and I'm now just
responding...

I recently read the online owners manual for the unit and was quite happy
with its operation. Like my Eclipse, it has outputs for a 3-way component
set so you can individually set time alignment and output level for each
speaker....good stuff. But the Clarion has an additional sub output, which
my Eclipse does NOT have.

Yeah, that extra sub out is nice to have. An option which my Sony C910
didn't have. Funny, this deck was on their top of the line back in the 90's
before the C-90 came out. All units should have that option, it simplify the
connection back there.

Really good stuff! Another thing I like about the Clarion is the fact that
the face is solid...no motorized, flip up and down and all around with the
flashy display. I have to admit I've been thinking more and more about the
9255.

Yes again, the face plate has that classic look in it. It's a straight
forward operation with less fancy mechanism. I must admit that this
is the main problem I have with my CDX-C910, that is, the motorized
flip-down is malfuntioning and now only work occasionally. It's 6 year
old but still, I was anticipating that the flip-down mechanism should last
a few more years. Sounds is still ok but I think it's time for this thing to
go.
I won't spend money to have it fix. Overall, from scale of 1 to 10, I give
this unit a 6.

EddieM...please let us know how you like it when you get it.

Of course Tony, of course. I use to read this forum a lot back then
when I was putting together my first "hi-fi" car stereo and learn a lot
from this group. But music and sound is what this is all about so
I focus on that afterwards, but I come to read this group on regular basis
skulking around 'cause one always learn something new.

I'm particularly interested in how well you can read the display in
daylight. May I ask where you're going to purchase it from? I see that you
can buy them on eBay for under $800.

I been negotiating with at least 3 different dealers over here to get the
best deal. The average cost for this unit here is betw 1k to 1.2k so far
as I'm told. I'm avoiding purchase on line for now due to warranty
issues which might be a problem. I'm going to tell more later about which
dealer I decide to buy this unit from.

Tony, I'm going to this one dealer right now and work out a package deal.
He also wants to tell me more about this unit. So hopefully, in a few days
on my day-off, we'll get this whole thing in the bag. I'm going to find out
what I can about the display luminance -- as this is also a problem
with my current Sony deck.

This is all for now.................

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
Focal 130HCs For Rear Fill, 2 Soundstream EXACT10s In Aperiodic Enclosure

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

Nice toys !

EddieM

Tony F" wrote

EddieM...please let us know how you
like it when you get it.

Ok, I just went over to that dealer and talk to the rep.
earlier tonight. This DRZ9255 model is a special order.
They don't have it in stock. I was told that most dealers
normally won't stack up on this type of unit.

So anyway, the rep. told me a little bit more about this HU,
the fact that it was designed purely with SQ in their minds.
The features that are built in are indeed way better than my
Sony HU as you and I mentioned it earlier.

We went over my car set up and it looks like it's going to be
a straight forward install according to him. I also told him
that I'm interested installing an additional capacitor -- as my
"old" cap, a Rockford Fosgate 1 farad cap, is old and worn.

So we sat down and talk.

He offered a deal for a Pixelon (digital) Capacitor 1.2 farad
installed along with my old cap. for $109 bucks. I don't know
anything about this brand. What do you guys think?

With regard to DRZ9255, he want at least $500 down to
order it which might take 2 to 5 working days. I told him that
most likely tomorrow, I'll go to the bank and withdraw the money
I'll need to make these things happen.

I'm particularly interested in how well you can read the display in
daylight.

Tony, we look around in his lot to see if we could find a car
with this HU in place, but nobody has it yet.

May I ask where you're going to purchase it from? I see that you can buy
them on eBay for under $800.

Some correction: The price range for this unit over here is
actually between 1k to 1.4k.

Tony

....................... that's all for now. [I'm off to work in few.]

Simone82

EddieM Wrote:

With regard to DRZ9255, he want at least $500 down to
order it which might take 2 to 5 working days. I told him that
most likely tomorrow, I'll go to the bank and withdraw the money
I'll need to make these things happen.

Hi Eddie, i'm wanted a drz9255, where you have found it ?

Thanks
Simone

--
Simone82
Simone82's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=34320

EddieM

Tony F wrote

EddieM...please let us know how to like it when you get it.

Update! Update!

The guy at the store wasn't able to place the order for DRZ9255
until last Monday the 4th......... So I'm still waiting for it to arrive.
When it does arrive and installed, I'll start a new thread to the
attn. of Tony F.

In a way, as far as SQ is concerned, my feeling is that it's going
to be a toss-up betw the Clarion DRX9255 against my old
Sony ES CDX-C910 which is still playing cds in my car.

The best I'm hoping for is that the Clarion hu would sound equal
at least, if not, better overall. Keep in mind that the Sony hu that
I have was their top-of-the-line when I bought back around '98.

Here's the spec. for Sony cdx-c910, if it matter.

2 Staggered 20-Bit-Bur Brown® PCM-1702 D/As -
These D/A converters are commonly used in multi-thousand
dollar audio components. Non-magnetic copper chassis for
maximum sound isolation, an audiophile feature.

For more...

http://www.schalliol.com/property/ca...y/cdxc910.html

Here's the spec for Clarion DRZ-9255:

Dual 24-Bit/96kHz Sampling DACs and DSP
a.. Burr-Brown DACs
a.. Plays CD-R and CD-RWs
a.. Built-In 4-Way Crossovers (Subwoofer/Low/Mid/High)
a.. 5-Band Parametric Equalizer
a.. Digital Time Alignment for Each Line Level Output
a.. 4V/8-Channel Gold-Plated Line Level Outputs ...
a.. ... (for SW/L/M/H or Front 2-Way/Rear/SW) With OFC Cables
a.. Copper-Plated Chassis
a.. DC /DC Converter
a.. CeNET Control of Optional TV Tuner, DVD Changer and 6-Disc CD Changer
a.. Multi-Changer Control
a.. Two 2-Channel Aux. Inputs
a.. Fiber Optic Input/Output
a.. Vacuum Florescent Display
a.. IR Remote Control
a.. Line Level Output Only (Requires External Amplifier)
a.. Radio Tuner With 18FM/6AM Presets
a.. Ultra Precise Rotary Volume Control
a.. Zinc Die-Cast Faceplate

Here's the review for Sony CDX-C910:

http://tinyurl.com/8hnq6

FS: Clarion VRX925VD LCD monitor pingzingguy Car Audio 1 November 9th 04 07:03 PM
Clarion DRZ9255 HU Jupiter7 Car Audio 2 August 3rd 04 01:21 PM
FS/FT: Clarion DRX9675z, Clarion DPH7500z & Clarion APX200.2 Divyne Audio Car Audio 0 June 30th 04 11:46 PM
How to fix no display or no sound in Nissan Maxima or Infinity I30 with Bose Radio Clarion Vikter Car Audio 0 March 12th 04 06:47 AM
Clarion DB336MP vs. Blaupunkt MP3000 Rashaan Car Audio 2 October 19th 03 01:15 PM