Me

Default Free: Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th Edition

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

Adam Stouffer

Me wrote:
http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

LOL, I stole mine from a university fair and square!

Adam
west

Default Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th Edition

"Me" wrote in message
news:1129534354.87dd6cba6370da09d8de533d2459dc12@t eranews...

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

How large is this 1,500 page pfd file? Why has it not been mentioned here
before?

west

Jon Yaeger

in article , west at
wrote on 10/17/05 11:05 PM:

"Me" wrote in message
news:1129534354.87dd6cba6370da09d8de533d2459dc12@t eranews...

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

How large is this 1,500 page pfd file? Why has it not been mentioned here
before?

west

Because many of us disapprove of warez sites that pirate intellectual
property??

Mark Harriss

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , west at
wrote on 10/17/05 11:05 PM:

"Me" wrote in message
news:1129534354.87dd6cba6370da09d8de533d2459dc12 @teranews...

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

How large is this 1,500 page pfd file? Why has it not been mentioned here
before?

west

Because many of us disapprove of warez sites that pirate intellectual
property??

I thought the copyright had expired well and truly now.
Anyone could then go and order a run from a cheap printer
using the original as a, ....well original.

Jon Yaeger

in article
,
Mark Harriss at wrote on 10/17/05 11:56 PM:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , west at
wrote on 10/17/05 11:05 PM:

"Me" wrote in message
news:1129534354.87dd6cba6370da09d8de533d2459dc12@t eranews...

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

How large is this 1,500 page pfd file? Why has it not been mentioned here
before?

west

Because many of us disapprove of warez sites that pirate intellectual
property??

I thought the copyright had expired well and truly now.
Anyone could then go and order a run from a cheap printer
using the original as a, ....well original.

True enough, but did you see the other stuff on the site?

Andre Jute

west wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
news:1129534354.87dd6cba6370da09d8de533d2459dc12@t eranews...

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

How large is this 1,500 page pfd file?

You don't need all of it, Westley. See my Glass Audio review of the
recent official reprint, in which I show how to cut this frightening
book down to size:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/J...MPS%20RDH.html

Why has it not been mentioned here
before?

Embarrassment. It is the evidence of a gangrape. Members of RAT stole
the intellectual property of Newnes (electronic publishing division of
Butterworth Heinemann) and ponced around here on RAT bragging about
it. Even now one of the thieves is trying to justify their theft by
claiming the book was out of copyright. That's bull****. The 1967
edition by RCA (which is the one stolen in the advertised download) had
additional material, which automatically renews the copyright. Nor has
it been long enough since the death of the chief contributor for the
book to fall out of copyright, even since the first edition.

Anyone who downloads the files form the net is a thief.

west

Andre Jute

Jon Yaeger

in article , Andre Jute
at
wrote on 10/18/05 8:31 AM:

west wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

I'm rusty on intellectual property law.

Andre, does the renewal extension and other provisions apply to U.S.
Copyright Laws? If so, someone purloining the book may be subject to
criminal and civil penalties . . . .

The parent company of AudioXpress sells one version on CD at a reasonable
price. I just bought an actual book on eBay for about $20. So there are
other inexpensive venues -- no need to steal it.

Jerry Rubin

Andre Jute

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , Andre Jute
at
wrote on 10/18/05 8:31 AM:

west wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

I met him a couple of times. He called me a capitalist pig. I advised
him to bathe more often.

Copyright in the RDH4 was established under the Berne Convention by
publication in 1953 and extended as a first natural term to 1981.
Copyright in the RDH4 with supplement was particularly established in
the USA by RCA in 1967 and would have run to 1995, reneweable for 28
years to 2023, but that is now an irrelevance because in 1978 the
natural copyright term was extended for a further 47 years, a total of
75 years, a long way beyond 2005. Copyright protection has been
further extended since then and for the RDH is now 95 years from 1953
or 1967, depending on who is taking the thieves to court.

Below my signature is the relevant summary from the US Copyright
Office. Copyright terms elsewhere, including Australia, where at least
some of the thieves live, have always been much longer than in the US,
and what's more ran from the death of the author rather than from first
publication. For instance, in Australia the first natural term of
copyright for the RDH is still not past...

There is absolutely no doubt that those guys who posted the RDH4 are
thieves.

I hope Reed Elsevier prosecute the thieves of the RDH and have them
locked up. This sort of theft inclines the Reed Elsevier subsidiary
Newnes not to publish new tube books. If you want to know how serious
this could prove in a few years, Newnes are, for instance, the
publishers of the well-regarded Morgan Jones books on tube amps, which
is often recommended to newbies here on RAT.

Andre Jute

*********
[Courtesy of the US Copyright Office]

Works Originally Created and Published or Registered before January 1,
1978

Under the law in effect before 1978, copyright was secured either on
the date a work was published with a copyright notice or on the date of
registration if the work was registered in unpublished form. In either
case, the copyright endured for a first term of 28 years from the date
it was secured. During the last (28th) year of the first term, the
copyright was eligible for renewal. The Copyright Act of 1976 extended
the renewal term from 28 to 47 years for copyrights that were
subsisting on January 1, 1978, or for pre-1978 copyrights restored
under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), making these works
eligible for a total term of protection of 75 years. Public Law
105-298, enacted on October 27, 1998, further extended the renewal term
of copyrights still subsisting on that date by an additional 20 years,
providing for a renewal term of 67 years and a total term of protection
of 95 years.

Public Law 102-307, enacted on June 26, 1992, amended the 1976
Copyright Act to provide for automatic renewal of the term of
copyrights secured between January 1, 1964, and December 31, 1977.
Although the renewal term is automatically provided, the Copyright
Office does not issue a renewal certificate for these works unless a
renewal application and fee are received and registered in the
Copyright Office.

Public Law 102-307 makes renewal registration optional. Thus, filing
for renewal registration is no longer required in order to extend the
original 28-year copyright term to the full 95 years. However, some
benefits accrue from making a renewal registration during the 28th year
of the original term.

For more detailed information on renewal of copyright and the copyright
term, request Circular 15, "Renewal of Copyright"; Circular 15a,
"Duration of Copyright"; and Circular 15t, "Extension of Copyright
Terms."

*****

Patrick Turner

Andre Jute wrote:

west wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

I've got RDH4 on CD from about 4 years ago, and I won't say how i came
across it.

I just picked up a second paper copy at a radio sale for $8, along with
the RCA receiving tube data book for $4.

Although I did receive a CD disc copy from someone without asking too many
questions,
I think I have only used it once because its a pain in the arse to use
with a PC; its far too slow a way to read a damn book.

I had a look at one chapter of 31 pages in pdf and again its a pain to
read it, so I'll stick withb paper since my 10 yr old PC is far too slow
scrolling down pdfs.

I had a read of your treatise on cutting the book down to size.
Seems a sensible idea if all one is interested in triode audio.
Why bother knowing the best way to prepare a 455 kHz IF tranny
which is only going to give you 5 kHz of audio bandwidth?
There are many things like that in the book.
How many people are going to build an FM mono radio?
With tubes? Where is the multiplex decoder though?
But I service ancient radios, and i'm glad to have RDH4 as a reference
book.
I subsequently have designed my own prefered circuit for FM and AM radios
and for multiplex decoders
but much backgound info came from what i found in the basement archives
in a building in the Australian National University before they went crazy
with security and began chucking old stuff out.
RDH4 is only 1 book; to know more you must look further.

You say they don't have bootstrapped follower now known in several variants

as µ follower, SRPP, etc.
But where would one ever bother to use a SRPP circuit in consumer
electronics in 1955?
OK for scientific equipment of the day, but fair go mate, no need to
include
all those wonderful early ways of otherwise connecting tubes in a book
that was a huge volume anyway and for ordinary people trying to make and
fix
mainly radios.

The **other** publications of the era would have adequately covered
what RDH4 didn't, and to expect it to have everything is asking too much.
There isn't a drop about television, or early computing, or industrial
applications of tubes for example.
Nothing about building transmitters; its about using **receiving tubes**,
which was the area
where RCA wanted to promote tubes
and give a steer to their efficient use, mainly in radio gear.
By the time TV arrived after WW2, the demand for electronics in the home
mushroomed
and there simply was *no need* to carry on publishing good ways to use
vacuum tubes.
And by 1967, tubes were gladly dumped for the whole new era of silicon.
People often never bothered to replace tubes; when a set broke they
"upgraded" to stereo, and got a silicon set.
Some even dallied with germanium transistors before silicon.

Nobody could keep up the flow of ideas in books.
By the time a book was written about the best way of using a bjt,
chips were invented.
The abilities of ordinary ppl to build anything electronic rapidly
declined in the face of miniaturization and complexity.
Only eccentric die hards stuck with tubes and pretended that the solid
state era wasn't happening.

But now tubes are very favoured for audio since so many discover they do
better with music
than SS, so RDH4 is a great tool for the die hards.

After about 1960 private ownership of ideas began to take hold and
companies who made consumer gear
could afford to pay for their own r&d, and they kept all that secret to
make it harder for rivals,
and prevent non trade ppl repairing their own gear.
Electronics has been getting more and more secret ever since.
Anyone care to sketch the schematic of a pentium 4?
How about a simple little CD player?

Beyond the basics, nobody knows how all this modern crap works.

Gee, there is a whole lot more they left out of RDH4.
Still I don't mind not knowing Langford-Smith's ideas on silver wire in
OPTs
with 50% nickel cores, or about capacitor effects on 'the sound',
and the other 101 things that today are regarded as important and based on
subjective perceptipons.

Much that was left out of RDH4 may well have been deliberate
because of patent reasons; not every amplifier maker wanted his schematics
to appear in RDH4.

But in 1955 there was a mountain of other stuff published on tube behaviour
and uses.
There are thousands of pages of references listed in RDH4 but finding any
of the reference material now is a hard ask.

Anyway, nothing I have said takes any of the majesty of RDH4 away;
it is a magnificent book for tube craft.
Let's be grateful that we got what we got!

Patrick Turner.

west

Default Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th Edition-- P Jute

'Scuse my ignorance, but how did the allege thieves obtain the "master"
copy?
west

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , Andre

Jute
at
wrote on 10/18/05 8:31 AM:

west wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

west

I used the book many years ago to obtain my commercial FCC Radio & Telephone
License. I think all the chapters are important in tube disign, no matter
how indirectly they relate to audio applications.
west

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Andre Jute wrote:

west wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

Wessel Dirksen

Andre Jute schreef:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , Andre Jute
at
wrote on 10/18/05 8:31 AM:

west wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

I just got mine from Old Colony (audio Xpress) for $29 on CD-ROM with
all content in TOC linkable PDF format. I have always highly liked Old
Colony. They have always seemed legitimate and this method, assuming
they are up front with RCA, seems like a fair deal to all.

Got Morgen Jones' book too. Very Cool.

Andre Jute

Wessel Dirksen wrote:
Andre Jute schreef:

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , Andre Jute
at
wrote on 10/18/05 8:31 AM:

west wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

Old Colony are professional publishers. You can bet they did the right
thing. I have worked with them and found them perfectly professional,
straightforward and honest.

Andre Jute

Got Morgen Jones' book too. Very Cool.

Andre Jute

west wrote:
'Scuse my ignorance, but how did the allege thieves obtain the "master"
copy?
west

Huh? One of three ways:

1. They simply stole the Old Colony CD version. (One version on the net
is reported to have a lined index.)

2. They borrowed a copy from a library and scanned it.

3. They bought a copy and scanned it to put on the net.

Buying a copy does not give them any right to reproduce it, West.

BTW, I read your take on my article about cutting the RDH4 down to
digestible size. My interest in radio is very low; even my tube
longwave receiver (to receive BBC 4) was designed for me, and some of
the parts wound, by Steve Bench. I take comfort from the fact that
Patrick, an honest Australian cobber, agrees with me.

Andre Jute

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jon Yaeger wrote: