Bob243

Default *newbie* Looking to build my first tube amp

Hi!!

I am for info building my first tube amp. Basically, I do not really
need to build it for a specific application, I just want to build one. I
will probably buy a used set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers and use them with
the amp as PC speakers. So something in the 5WPC range would be plentiful.

Can someone point me in the right direction to either get a kit, or a
parts list and a wiring diagram as well as some setup instructions for
tuning (I guess I have to adjust bias or something?) . I would prefer a
wiring diagram as opposed to a schematic because I have allot of experience
in the service end of electronics, but very little in the fabrication end.

There is probably quit a bit of info the I need but don't know what I
need to ask.. As a I stated, I am definitely a newbie as far as this is
concerned. So thanks in advance for putting up with a newbie. I did some
searched on the net, but didn't find much geared towards beginners.

Thanks,
Bob

Fred Nachbaur

Bob243 wrote:
[...]

If you're looking for a kit, it's pretty hard to beat this little
beastie in terms of bang-for-the-buck for an entry-level amplifier:

http://tinyurl.com/peoh

There's no limit to how you can "pretty up" this little kit by making a
suitable enclosure to suit your tastes. It should also help in learning
to read schematics (an absolute "must" in this business!)

You might want to spend some time poking around the rest of Antique's
site also, you'll find fascinating stuff. http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Another "must visit" is Ned Carlson's Triode Electronics site:
http://www.triodeelectronics.com

Welcome to a fascinating hobby!

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Geoffrey G. Rochat

Fred's being much too modest. (A first! grin) In addition to the links
he provided, go check out his own do-it-yourself projects on his webite. If
you're looking for something a little deeper than following a kit's assembly
instructions, it's hard to go wrong with some of Fred's simpler projects.
The gentle theory he provides as his construction articles go along are
great for a newbie, too.

Fred Nachbaur

Geoffrey G. Rochat wrote:
Fred's being much too modest. (A first! grin) In addition to the links
he provided, go check out his own do-it-yourself projects on his webite. If
you're looking for something a little deeper than following a kit's assembly
instructions, it's hard to go wrong with some of Fred's simpler projects.
The gentle theory he provides as his construction articles go along are
great for a newbie, too.

Aw, shucks, Geoffrey... but thanks.

Cheers.
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

JamesG

That's too limiting. I think Fred's site is a must see. There are a
number of simple projects as well as more complex ones. The articles
provide a huge amount of practical information about tube design and
practical ideas about building. I just built my first tube amp in 30 years
and it was an extremely useful resource.

Another good site for practical information is www.ax84.com This is
oriented towards guitar amplifiers, but has some practical information as
well.

Look at the links section at triode electronics, which is fairly
comprehensive.

"Geoffrey G. Rochat" wrote in message
Fred's being much too modest. (A first! grin) In addition to the

links
he provided, go check out his own do-it-yourself projects on his webite.

If
you're looking for something a little deeper than following a kit's

assembly
instructions, it's hard to go wrong with some of Fred's simpler projects.
The gentle theory he provides as his construction articles go along are
great for a newbie, too.

Angrytek

Thanks!!! Alot of very helpful info on your site as well..

As far as schematics, I have no problems with using them for SS equipment,
as well as identifying parts... I am just not familiar with schematics for
tube equipment. ( I can tell which part is the heater, but thats about it
grin )

Thanks Again,
Bob

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

Bob243 wrote:
[...]

Craig

Here are some good onine sites for a newbie besides Fred's which is
really excellent:

Cheers
Craig Ryder

Randall Aiken, Introductory (Beginner's) Technical Papers:
http://www.aikenamps.com/TI_Aiken_int.htm Nine short papers. Read
them all. Papers deal with Ohm's law, series and parallel circuits,
voltage dividers, push pull and single ended design and all are
short. Aiken is primarily a guitar amp guy but the principles are the
same and he writes well. IMHO Aiken's "tech info" section is one of
the best on the web. .

Randall Aiken, Advanced Technical Papers:
http://www.aikenamps.com/TI_Aiken_adv.htm. 24 papers. Aiken is known
for his great guitar amps and will talk about guitar amps along the
way. No problem. Aiken writes clearly and the principles (if not all
aspects of design) are the same. His "tech-info" section is great.
Let's hope he keeps writing. Here are a few of his papers to peak your
interest. See his site for the other articles.
-Designing Common Cathode Amps: www.aikenamps.com/CommonCathode.htm
-Vacuum Tube Amplifier Circuits and Equations:
www.aikenamps.com/Equations.htm
-What is Miller Capacitance: www.aikenamps.com/MillerCapacitance.html
-Output Transformers Explained:
www.aikenamps.com/OutputTransformers.html

1) ✔ Claudio BonaVolta's Tube Audio: General index he
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/index.html
An index to discussions of coupling, bias, power stages, amp classes,
phase splitters and more is found in his "Tubes For Newbies" section,
he http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/t_bas.htm

2) ✔ Gabe Velez' site: General index he
http://members.tripod.com/~gabevee/index.html
An index to Gabe's "Technical" section with nice short pieces on
capacitors, resistors, transformers, inductors, negative feedback, and
bias is he http://members.tripod.com/~gabevee/ezindex.html. Read
"One Tube First Time Amplifier" and "First Amplifier Revisited" too.
It brings some of this together.

Projects: A collection of DIY projects that are good reading if you
are starting out. These are all good projects and, more importantly,
there is as much work in the online presentation as there is in the
amp. Read them even if you are not going to make them. Major design
issues will be discussed, layout, etc…

* Ralph Power Building your Own DIY Tube Amp: Ralph discusses how he
put one of Gary Dahl's VV30B amp together. A nice intro read on how to
go about it: http://www.intergate.com/~Rpower/buildamp.htm
* Fred Nachbar's Mini-Blok SET
http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblok.htm
It might not look like much but don't judge a book…….Fred has provided
lots of info and a nice explanation of the circuit. Read his article
on the little PP amp at his site too.
* (dead?) Jeremy Epsteins's Free Lunch Direct Coupled 2A3. A nice SET
circuit and an online reading list to help explain it.
http://home.earthlink.net/~ellenoler/freelunch.html
* Derek Walton's JE Labs 300b project. A really excellent presentation
of Joseph Esmilla's (JELabs) SE 300b.
http://indigo.ie/~walton/300b.html
Deluxe Edition: http://indigo.ie/~walton/300bmk2.html
*The "Darling" SET: http://www.diyparadise.com/Darling.html,
http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/darling.html, AND
http://members.lycos.nl/Aren/id12.htm
* John Sherwood's 300b Breadboard :
http://www.homestead.com/sparkgap/amp.html. Nice looking breadboard!
If you are starting out do not think you have to commit to a chassis
right away! It just complicates things sometimes. Complete with nice
pictures of the circuit layout.
* 8W SE EL34 by Claus Byrith. Very nice articles that include a lot of
theory. Check out his PP at the same site too:
http://www.lundahl.se/claus_b_se.html
* Gordon Rankin's Bugle 45 (Wavelength Audio site)
http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/bugle.pdf
* Wardsweb Direct Coupled 2A3: Based on the Loftin-White design by
John Day (1929) http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/dc2a3.html
* Pete Millet's very cool Zebrawood 829B (a conversation piece if I
ever saw one!): http://www.pmillett.addr.com/829b_amplifier.htm
* Aristidis Coumpas' parafeed 45 (ala Kurt Strain) This is at the
Audio Club of Athens Site. While you are there check out the "Audio
Papers" section for lots of good projects. http://aca.gr/paper31.htm
* Randy Carter's Il Monstro, 845-845:
http://www.cognitivEvent.com/av_monstro.html
* Thorston Loesch's Legacy 300b: Based on the Western Electric 91
(WE91): http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell...cy/Legacy.html
* 813 Push Pull, transformer coupled. Based on Lynn Olson's Aurora
(this one isn't so simple):
http://www.izzy-wizzy.com/audio/powamp813.html
Nothing40

(Craig) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Wow! Excellent! This should go in the "R.A.T. pack FAQ" if it ever
comes into existance. ;-)

Choky

litttttttle mo
collection of links,tnx to few Rodents )

*** http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/articles.html

***Jan Rowland, Roll Your Own Power Transformers:
http://members.tripod.com/~schematic...m/xformer1.htm
***Patrick Turner, Output Transformer Design Calculations:
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/htmlwe...esigncalcs.htm
***Transformer Basics, from Lessons in Electric Circuits:
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricC...s/AC/AC_9.html
***Determining OP Transformer Impedance:
http://www.geocities.com/vintage_radio/outimp.htm
***Basics of Inductors:
http://www.hills2.u-net.com/electron/induct.htm
* VoltSecond and Mike Lefevre, What does the Transformer Inductance do
to the Loadline of the Tube?
http://www.siteswithstyle.com/voltse...LOAD_LINE.html
✔Gabe Velez, Transformers:
http://members.tripod.com/~gabevee/transform.html
* Michael LaFevre, Transformers and Phase Shift:
http://www.magnequest.com/tech2.htm
* Color codes (MarVac Electronics):
http://www.marvac.com/funpages/chokes.htm
* University of Surrey, Producing Wound Components
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Workshop/advice/coils/#turn
* David Berning, An Audio Amplifier Design Philosophy:
http://www.meta-gizmo.com/Tri/otlology/BERNINGS.htm
✔Randall Aiken, OPT's Explained
http://www.aikenamps.com/OutputTransformers.html
* Richard Sears, Trany Math:
http://richard984.tripod.com/transformer_math.htm
* Lundahl, Technical Papers from Lundahl: very short pieces from
Lundahl lab: http://www.lundahl.se/papers.html
* Pete Millett, Power Transformers for Audio Equipment:
http://www.pmillett.addr.com/images/ax_power.pdf
* VoltSecond, Damping Ringing in LC Circuits:
http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSe.../Damping_ringi
ng_in_xfmrs.html
* Plitron Site:http://www.plitron.com/Pages/sitemap.htm. Link takes
you to site index. Under "Publications". A collection of articles
including:
-Secrets of Output Transformers, Menno Van de Veen
-Measuring OPT Performance, Menno Van der Veen
-Theory and Practice Of Widebandwidth Toroidal OPT, Menno Van der Veen
-Modeling Power Tubes and their Interaction with OPT, Menno Van der
Veen
* John Atwood (One Electron), Transformer Measurements:
http://www.one-electron.com/Trans_Tests.html
* Max Robinson, Understanding the Transformer:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/...nsformers.html
*** Dean P Currier, A Biographical History of Induction Coils:
http://radiantslab.com/quackmed/Deanbio.html
*** Edcor, Transformer Tek Notes:
http://www.edcorusa.com/gadgeteer/tek-notes_xformer.htm
Toroid Corp. of Maryland Tech.Bull. #1 ( Application Notes on
Rectifier Transformers) and #2 (International Line Voltages and
Frequencies): http://www.toroid.com/technica.htm
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/split.htm
http://www.audioxpress.com/resource/...lass/index.htm
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
http://webpdp.gator.com/v3/webpdp_v3...FortuneCityDT4
http://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Arc...l_1_Sec_1.html

http://bulk.pearl-hifi.com/02_PEARL_...ush_Pull_in_Hi
Fi.pdf

http://bulk.pearl-hifi.com/02_PEARL_...implified_PP_T
heory.pdf

http://bulk.pearl-hifi.com/02_PEARL_...ush-Pull_AF_Am
ps.pdf
www.sonicfrontiers.com -download Taste of tubes
http://members.tripod.com/richard984/ download scan of Crowhurst's book
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/ good reading and schmtcsRandall Aiken,
[...]

and many many more...........

"Angrytek" wrote in message

.................................................. ........................
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar
YU

"don't use force, "don't use force,
use a larger hammer" use a larger tube
- Choky and IST"
- ZM

Craig

Hey Choky

That's my list of transformer sites too. Glad you like them.

I have a large collection of diy tube sites in Word format with live
links fairly organized.

If you (or anyone else) would like a copy of the entire thing drop me
an email.

Cheers
Craig Ryder
Dale

"Craig" wrote in message
m...
Hey Choky

That's my list of transformer sites too. Glad you like them.

I have a large collection of diy tube sites in Word format with live
links fairly organized.

If you (or anyone else) would like a copy of the entire thing drop me
an email.

Cheers
Craig Ryder

Thanks everybody,

These are all great links

Dale

Choky

I didn't see Craig's original post (or reply,whatever);
just send -my addy isn't fake

--
.................................................. ........................
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar
YU

"don't use force, "don't use force,
use a larger hammer" use a larger tube
- Choky and IST"
- ZM
"Dale" dpoole@iinetdotnetdotau wrote in message
. au...

"Craig" wrote in message
m...
Hey Choky

That's my list of transformer sites too. Glad you like them.

I have a large collection of diy tube sites in Word format with live
links fairly organized.

If you (or anyone else) would like a copy of the entire thing drop me
an email.

Cheers
Craig Ryder

Thanks everybody,

These are all great links

Dale

Rich Andrews

"Dale" dpoole@iinetdotnetdotau wrote in news:3f8005d7$0$23608$5a62ac22
@freenews.iinet.net.au:

"Craig" wrote in message
m...
Hey Choky

That's my list of transformer sites too. Glad you like them.

I have a large collection of diy tube sites in Word format with live
links fairly organized.

If you (or anyone else) would like a copy of the entire thing drop me
an email.

Cheers
Craig Ryder

Thanks everybody,

These are all great links

Dale

Asking for info about tube amps here is like trying to take a sip from a
fire hose. (:)

Angrytek

Now I have a silly question... Why do I see alot of chasis designs with
holes around the tube socket.. ex.
http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/se2a3.6.gif

Thanks...
Bob

Fred Nachbaur

Angrytek wrote:

Now I have a silly question... Why do I see alot of chasis designs with
holes around the tube socket.. ex.
http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/se2a3.6.gif

Thanks...
Bob

In a word... ventilation.

Adding holes in the chassis allows more convection currents to flow
upwards along the hot tubes.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

kyser

Angrytek wrote:

Now I have a silly question... Why do I see alot of chasis designs

with holes around the tube socket.. ex.
http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/se2a3.6.gif

In a word... ventilation.

Adding holes in the chassis allows more convection currents to flowupwards

along the hot tubes.

Cheers,
Fred

With respect, Fred, the idea seems more cosmetic than practical unless the
chassis is open at the bottom, allowing free air flow (and simultaneously
cooling any hot cathode resistors or power supply components located
underneath).

In any case, there should be quite reasonable air convection currents
generated across the chassis surface and up the sides of the tubes unless
the topside components are _very_close together.

It's occurred to me that there might be some advantage in mounting a quiet
computer-type fan in the bottom cover of an air-tight chassis, and passing
the positive airflow over the power tubes using these holes, rather than
relying on convection.

Has anyone tried this?

Fred Nachbaur

Angrytek wrote:

Now I have a silly question... Why do I see alot of chasis designs

with holes around the tube socket.. ex.

http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/se2a3.6.gif

In a word... ventilation.

Adding holes in the chassis allows more convection currents to flowupwards

along the hot tubes.

Cheers,
Fred

With respect, Fred, the idea seems more cosmetic than practical unless the
chassis is open at the bottom, allowing free air flow (and simultaneously
cooling any hot cathode resistors or power supply components located
underneath).

Yes, there would have to be intake holes in the chassis sides (or an
open bottom as you suggest) for this to be functional. But given that,
it does make a significant difference.

If you get a chance, have a look at the chassis of an early "portable"
(read "luggable") TV set. These typically resembled Swiss cheese more
than what we usually think of as chassis. ;-)

In any case, there should be quite reasonable air convection currents
generated across the chassis surface and up the sides of the tubes unless
the topside components are _very_close together.

True. But through-chassis ventilation also helps keep the under-chassis
parts cooler, as you point out.

It's occurred to me that there might be some advantage in mounting a quiet
computer-type fan in the bottom cover of an air-tight chassis, and passing
the positive airflow over the power tubes using these holes, rather than
relying on convection.

Has anyone tried this?

Yes, I have. Actually it's two small (2") CPU-type fans mounted on the
left- and right-side chassis panels of my "RA-100" 50 wpc stereo amp.
The reason for adding them was mainly to keep the stuff *under* the
chassis cool (especially the solid-state regulators). But it made a
noticeable difference in the convection around the tubes also (via holes
around the sockets as described).

I'm actually running the fans at 9 volts instead of 12 volts, since
they're significantly quieter at the slightly lower voltage, while not
seriously compromising air flow.