MarkW

Default What brand of low end receiver to go with (Yamaha, Sony, etc)

I am in the market for a low end audio/video surround sound receiver.
The situation I'm in is I have a mid range Yamaha receiver in the
basement family room that's hooked up to the surround sound system
home theater. There are many times though I have family over that
can't go down to the basement and wants to watch in the living room on
the main floor. I currently have a television and a Samsung DVD
player. I have a couple low to mid range Polk Speakers not being used
I will use with this system.
I want something where I can use it like a lower end home theater so
that I can still run the video and audio through the receiver to
listen to the DVD's through the speakers as well as CD's being played
in the DVD player. I don't see myself adding any additional
components except upgrading the TV to a HD TV in the future. I
obviously want digital audio in (optical, component) connections as
well as component video in (two connections for a HD satellite
receiver and DVD player) as well as the connection to the TV. I don't
need the best sound for this room but I do want surround sound in case
I upgrade to surround sound speakers in the future.
One model I'm looking for is the Yamaha RX-V440 as well as the Sony
STRDE695 and possibly the STRDE595. Is there a big difference? When
I bought it seems I was told Sony is easier to use but Yamaha slightly
better quality and sound. Are there other brands I should look at?
Like I said I don't need the best sound and ease of use is important
since the wife will use this a lot and I want good quality.
Mark D. Zacharias

Of the two brands, I think I would concur - the Yamaha would be my pick over
the Sony.
I can't quite determine from your post exactly what you're trying to do -
multi-room function or what.

Mark Z.