Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Raymond Koonce Raymond Koonce is offline

Default Mouser

I placed an order with Mouser for some Rs and Cs at 1PM yesterday. When
I came home for lunch today, the order was on my porch. You can't beat
that service!

Raymond
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Alex wrote:

In Australia we do not have Mouser, neither Digi-Key. Here
we have Farnell (Newark in the USA) and RS Components. If
an order is placed before noon, it will be delivered in
the afternoon. If an order is placed in the afternoon, it
will be delivered the next day. Both RS and Farnell are
very similar in service and pricing, since they "compete"
with each other.

What is your impression of RS and Farnell compared to
Mouser and Digi-Key? Is there any difference between
Mouser and Digi-Key? Just curious from down under...

Same in the UK. They deal with delivery costs differently,
and both offer various levels of service, with next day the
norm. The Farnell man has his own van, and a gadget
networked with their warehouse system.

We also have Maplin which have retail shops selling the most
common commodity components.

Retail over the net has generally had to compete with high
street shops, and supermarkets, so you would expect
effective and efficient delivery systems by now. Often you
can track the progress of your order on line.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Alex is offline

"flipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:55:26 -0600, Raymond Koonce
wrote:

I placed an order with Mouser for some Rs and Cs at 1PM yesterday. When
I came home for lunch today, the order was on my porch. You can't beat
that service!

Raymond

Yeah, same here and it's not just the odd bit of luck. That's reliably
'normal' for Mouser.

I don't know what their secret is but they're lighting fast, with
pricing better than most, and are my primary source.

The only down side is don't make a mistake because the order is picked
and on it's way before you can say boo-boo.

In Australia we do not have Mouser, neither Digi-Key. Here we have Farnell
(Newark in the USA) and RS Components. If an order is placed before noon, it
will be delivered in the afternoon. If an order is placed in the afternoon,
it will be delivered the next day. Both RS and Farnell are very similar in
service and pricing, since they "compete" with each other.

What is your impression of RS and Farnell compared to Mouser and Digi-Key?
Is there any difference between Mouser and Digi-Key? Just curious from down
under...

Regards,
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Paul Crawford[_3_] Paul Crawford[_3_] is offline

Same in the UK. They deal with delivery costs differently, and both
offer various levels of service, with next day the norm. The Farnell man
has his own van, and a gadget networked with their warehouse system.

I am in the UK also, and have used all of them.

The problem we have with Mouser & DigiKey is (often) they are sent from
the USA, so are slower and you have the irritation of getting a 2nd
demand, often with an additional fee, from the courier to deal with VAT/
import duty.

So usually we use Farnell or RS. Used to be a bigger difference in cost/
service with RS more expensive but better deliver and stock held, but its
less of a factor these days.

I have has stupidity from Farnell when a part is "awaiting delivery",
only to place the order and then get an email that they were looking at 3
*months* wait! That is just taking the **** really for an on-line stock
system.

There are others worth looking at, such as Rapidonline, and to a lesser
degree Maplin (not much use these days for components, but lots of
assembled stuff).

Regards,
Paul