EricK

Default Mackie Big Knob?

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the "Big Knob"? I am wondering
about the talkback functions. A person that I don't trust too much said
something to the effect that when you press the talkback button, the
control room monitors DON'T DIM. I'm looking to know whether or not the
talkback dims the control room. In my mind, the product would be useless
if they didn't implement the talkback function properly.

Thanks!

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

hank alrich

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/bigknob_om.pdf

--
ha
Frank Vuotto

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:22:45 GMT, (hank alrich)
wrote:

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/bigknob_om.pdf

Another dumb talk back implementation. Why mixer designers feel it's
necessary to *ever* send the talkback mic to the studio monitor buss
is beyond me.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

EggHd

Why mixer designers feel it's
necessary to *ever* send the talkback mic to the studio monitor buss
is beyond me.

In my experience the studio monitor and the control room monitor is different.
As people in the studio may not always have their headphones on having the
option to have talk back in the room is a good thing.

---------------------------------------
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/bigknob_om.pdf

So you're saying that Mackie has first hand knowledge of the Big Knob?
Very clever observation.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Jan Holm

Frank Vuotto wrote:
A closer look at the block diagram shows that the talkback does not go
to the Monitor A/B outputs so it's not critical that the control room
monitors 'dim'. There is a mute switch but it's not activated by the
TB.

Also a "dim" switch, but still not activated by the TB. Still I'm
going to test this knob thing out first hand when my dealer get
it home (a week or 2)

Regards
Jan Holm

EricK

hank alrich wrote:

EricK wrote:

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the "Big Knob"?

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/bigknob_om.pdf

--
ha

Thank you for the link, Hank. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Oh,
wait, I did, a week ago. Couldn't find a definitive answer. Yes, maybe
the answer is buried in the schematic. I must admit, my skills at
reading schematics are rudimentary at best. That should not be reason to
fault me for posting the question to the group.

My thinking was that just because the manual doesn't specifically
mention that the control room will dim when the T/B is utilized, does
not mean that it doesn't dim. I take it for granted that when I press
T/B, the control monitors will dim. I thought Mackie was taking that for
granted as well when they wrote the manual.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Don Cooper

Mike Rivers wrote:

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/bigknob_om.pdf

So you're saying that Mackie has first hand knowledge of the Big Knob?
Very clever observation.

But it's alleged that they tried to cover it up.

hank alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

walkinay writes:

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/bigknob_om.pdf

So you're saying that Mackie has first hand knowledge of the Big Knob?

Just a so-called thought.

Very clever observation.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.

--
ha
hank alrich

EricK wrote:

Thank you for the link, Hank. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Oh,
wait, I did, a week ago. Couldn't find a definitive answer. Yes, maybe
the answer is buried in the schematic. I must admit, my skills at
reading schematics are rudimentary at best. That should not be reason to
fault me for posting the question to the group.

I didn't intend to fault you in any way; I didn't have time to download
the manual and read it to see if I could find an answer. I saw no
mention that you'd found the manual, so I offered a pointer.

(Don't mind Mike; he tunes his banjo with WD40.)

--
ha
ScotFraser

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the "Big Knob"?

Yes, I just bought one for a project that involves setting up a DAW in the
artists' rehearsal space.

I am wondering
about the talkback functions. A person that I don't trust too much said
something to the effect that when you press the talkback button, the
control room monitors DON'T DIM. I'm looking to know whether or not the
talkback dims the control room.

The talkback does not dim the control monitors.

In my mind, the product would be useless
if they didn't implement the talkback function properly.

I personally am extremely pleased that talkback does not dim the monitors
because it is now possible to carry on a 2 way conversation with the talent
while the producer is mindlessly holding the talkback down.
Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

Another dumb talk back implementation. Why mixer designers feel it's
necessary to *ever* send the talkback mic to the studio monitor buss
is beyond me.

Well, it's very hard for musicians who aren't using headphones (as in at least
50% of the acoustic sessions I do) to hear you when talkback DOESN'T go to the
studio monitors.

Scott Fraser
George Perfect

In this place, Mike Rivers was recorded saying ...

(Don't mind Mike; he tunes his banjo with WD40.)

I've thought of trying it on the banjo with the wood tuning pegs. They
keep sticking. If only they'd stick with the banjo IN tune.

Mike - surely you know that WD40 will leave a sticky residue behind.

You should only use Kailube on an instrument as delicate as a banjo.

VBG

--

George
Newcastle, England

Problems worthy of attack
Prove their worth, by hitting back [Piet Hein]
Roger W. Norman

Just goes to show how much I love my Soundtracs Solo. Proper talkback. And
still I walk out of the control room and talk to the musicians because they
can't see me since I don't have a control room window. They like it and I
like it.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

Another dumb talk back implementation. Why mixer designers feel it's
necessary to *ever* send the talkback mic to the studio monitor buss
is beyond me.

Do you mean that, or do you mean the control room monitor bus?

You sent talkback to the studio bacause that's where the musicians
you're talking to are. Real studios have speakers in the studio so the
musicians can hear playback (and talkback) without coming into the
control room. You send talkback to the "aux" buses (headphone outputs
in this case) because some of the musicians wear headphones. You send
it to the main outputs because you can use it to slate a take.

You don't send talkback to the control room monitors because it will
feed back. But you DO dim the control room monitors since the studio
mics are often up, and if the talkback mic picks them up and sends
them back to the studio monitor speakers (or sometimes even headphones
if there's enough gain) you'll get feedback through that path.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Roger W. Norman

Or Truffles! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
Mike Rivers wrote:

walkinay writes:

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/bigknob_om.pdf

So you're saying that Mackie has first hand knowledge of the Big Knob?

Just a so-called thought.

Very clever observation.

Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.

--
ha

ScotFraser

Another dumb talk back implementation. Why mixer designers feel it's
necessary to *ever* send the talkback mic to the studio monitor buss
is beyond me.

I did mean the control room monitors (but called studio monitors in
the Mackie guide).
I swear.....

OK, a reasonable outrage at an incorrect use of terminology by Mackie. In fact,
the talkback does not go to the control room speakers on this product, in any
of its several monitoring modes, nor have I seen any implementation of talkback
in any mixing desk that does.

Scott Fraser
Frank Vuotto

I thought I posted a follow up but maybe it didn't make it to Usenet,
it said this:

Yes, you're correct of course. I was thrown off because the Mackie Operational Guide
uses the term 'studio monitors' for both the control room monitors
and the recording room monitors.

On 21 Jul 2004 17:16:59 GMT, (ScotFraser) wrote:

OK, a reasonable outrage at an incorrect use of terminology by Mackie. In fact,
the talkback does not go to the control room speakers on this product, in any
of its several monitoring modes, nor have I seen any implementation of talkback
in any mixing desk that does.

Scott Fraser

I've used a 24 ch Tascam (and I believe an older Mackie) that sent the
built in talkback mic only to the stereo output (?) and the front
panel headphone jack(?). There was no way to route it to an aux bus.

Frank /~
http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Geoff Wood

George Perfect wrote:
In this place, Mike Rivers was recorded saying ...

(Don't mind Mike; he tunes his banjo with WD40.)

I've thought of trying it on the banjo with the wood tuning pegs.
They keep sticking. If only they'd stick with the banjo IN tune.

Mike - surely you know that WD40 will leave a sticky residue behind.

It's all that silicone .....

;-)

geoff

Geoff Wood

Roger W. Norman wrote:
Just goes to show how much I love my Soundtracs Solo. Proper
talkback. And still I walk out of the control room and talk to the
musicians because they can't see me since I don't have a control room
window. They like it and I like it.

What ? They like it that you don't have a window, so can't see you unless
you take the trouble to walk out ...

;-)

geoff

George Perfect

In this place, Mike Rivers was recorded saying ...

Tapping them on the small end of the taper usually frees them up, but
that gets the whole banjo out of tune. But then, who cares?

What's more, who'd notice? ;^)

--

George
Newcastle, England

Problems worthy of attack
Prove their worth, by hitting back [Piet Hein]
Roger W. Norman

Who wants to look at me? Besides, I'm sitting in here shaking my head when
I hear mistakes, so I don't want them stopping because of me.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message
Roger W. Norman wrote:
Just goes to show how much I love my Soundtracs Solo. Proper
talkback. And still I walk out of the control room and talk to the
musicians because they can't see me since I don't have a control room
window. They like it and I like it.

What ? They like it that you don't have a window, so can't see you unless
you take the trouble to walk out ...

;-)

geoff

ScotFraser

What ? They like it that you don't have a window, so can't see you unless
you take the trouble to walk out ...

I find some singers prefer being in a part of the tracking room where they
can't be seen from the control room. Gives them a private space to perform in,
I believe.

Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

I've used a 24 ch Tascam (and I believe an older Mackie) that sent the
built in talkback mic only to the stereo output (?) and the front
panel headphone jack(?). There was no way to route it to an aux bus.

Did they have a separate control room feed? Sounds more like a PA desk, & a not
very versatile one at that.

Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

At least
I got them to label the button "Polarity" instead of "Phase" on d8b
Version 3 software.

Thank you. And now we know that this Rivers idiot IS for real.

Scott Fraser

EricK

ScotFraser wrote:
I personally am extremely pleased that talkback does not dim the monitors
because it is now possible to carry on a 2 way conversation with the talent
while the producer is mindlessly holding the talkback down.
Scott Fraser

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not sure I follow. How do you keep the
control room monitors from feeding back while the producer mindlessly
holds down the talkback?

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

hank alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

OK, a reasonable outrage at an incorrect use of terminology by Mackie.

They need Rivers.

--
ha
Roger W. Norman

Well, it's also a point of my being a far less than stellar recording
facility, especially with the remodel, so what's the point? I want these
guys coming in and playing music like they normally do, not playing to an
audience of the recording system. Puts people at ease far more quickly.
Also one of the reasons I don't have one of those red recording lights in
the studio. I had way too many problems with red light syndrome.

Ah, who cares. I think I'm just going to buy the local hardware store and
be done with this stuff. Then again it's got 2300 sq ft of empty space with
18 foot ceilings in the basement with an elevator! g I'm always thinking.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio