Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default What wattage is flea wattage?

eponymous cowherd wrote:
I often see the term flea watt amp, but do not know what the cut off
point for this is. What is the threshold between flea watts and the rest?

A fleapower amp is one that has less, usually quite a bit less than one
watt. The proponents of such amps refer to themselves more respectfully
as microwatters.

My T68bis 'Minus Zero' 417A single tube micropower single ended
amplifier is one-third watt to drive high-sensitivity horns as in my
T91 HWAF3. You can see both at my netsite
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/JUTE%20ON%20AMPS.htm

Andre Jute
Impedance is futile, you will be simulated into the triode of the Borg.
-- Robert Casey

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

eponymous cowherd wrote:
In article .com,
"Andre Jute" wrote:

A fleapower amp is one that has less, usually quite a bit less than one
watt. The proponents of such amps refer to themselves more respectfully
as microwatters.

Wow. I thought it would be between 5 and 10.

Yeah. I saw some of your other posts. A microwatter isn't for you or
for anyone on a budget for that matter; it presumes expensive
high-sensitivity speakers.

I did design an inexpensive 2W single-ended amp for students, together
with an inexpensive loudspeaker to suit:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/Jute-EL34-SEntry.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/K...Impresario.jpg
But you're still won't build the pair for $200, unless you already have
a junkbox full of scrounged parts. Sorry.

You could become a dumpster diver. Old tube radios have an audio
amplification section, and loudspeaker drivers that are guaranteed not
to be sharp and fatigueing. Old tape recorders often have tube
amplifiers built in.

A few years ago I would have told you to forget the Chinese amp and buy
and restore a good amp made in whichever country you live in. When I
returned to tube amps 15 years ago, I started with Quad II. But today
such amps are very expensive for what they are, collectors' pieces. The
Chinese amp will give you a better taste than comments on RAT may lead
you to believe. Go to uk.rec.audio and search for posts by Keith G. Go
from there to his website. He has bought several Chinese amps and he
gives good descriptions of what to expect.

You should check that your existing speakers are suitable before you
buy a tube amp.

HTH.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"