Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Car Audio Question

Hi I was surfing the net and ran into this group while reading about
car audio. I had a question about my car's sound and was wondering if
anyone could help me out. I'm not exactly the most experienced person
when it comes to car audio so sorry if I don't sound up to date with
everyone else. A few months back I had a 10-inch sub and a 2 channel
amplifier installed into my car. Then, I recently had four new
speakers installed (two front, two rear, all Alpine). Then a week
later I had a new Sony CD-Receiver installed. The problem is that once
I had the amp and sub installed the sound didn't sound the same. It
was much more bass and lower sound, which i expected because of the
sub, but when I tried to adjust the bass, treble, front, and rear
options on the stock radio it did not adjust the what it said it would.
Instead the sound shifter from a lower sound to a higher, less bass
sound. When I had the four new speakers installed I informed the
installation tech about it and he told me that it was because I had a
two channel amplifier and needed another amplifier. So when I bought
the new CD-Receiver I heard that they have pre-amps installed and that
the problem would be fixed. The problem still persists and i can't
adjust the treble, bass, front, or rear sounds yet. Then the new Sony
Receiver has lots of options such as the sub option, but I can't adjust
the sub at all it stays constant with its intensity and sound. I also
noticed that a lot of high and discrete sounds from my progressive rock
music is missing and a friend told me I needed to buy tweeters. Does
anyone know how i can fix my car audio so I can adjust the bass,
treble, rear, and front and so that it sounds in proportion and also if
tweeter speakers will probably fix the missing sounds. Thanks for your
time and sorry for the long message, take care!
-Henry from Fresno, CA

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

To me, it sounds like a couple different things:

1) The crossover settings on amp and HU need to be adjusted.
2) Can't adjust the sub from the HU possibly because the amp is off the
Rear or front RCA preouts? It would need to be on the one marked SUB.
3) The 4 speakers you got probably have tweeters built in to them if you
got 2 or 3-ways, its probably guaranteed.
4) the missing sounds are probably from a hole where the midbass is
supposed to be, which would also appear to give you a higher over-all
sound purely from lacking the lower end oomph, so to speak.

What we need to know to help you some mo

1) how do you have the 2-channel configured? bridge and both to sub?
inputs off which RCAs?
2) which amp and speakers did you get and which sony HU

Brandonb

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

When they installed the new Sony Unit, did they run RCA cables from the Sony
to the Sub amp using the Sub output on the Sony?
To me it sounds as if the Sub was run off the rear channels of the factory
radio, and when they installed the Sony they left it like that.
If the Sony has a separate Sub out you should be able to fade front to back
with out affecting the sub level.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

There's a really good chance that it's because you installed the speakers in
the back. Rear speakers do terrible numbers for sound staging in most cars
that I've heard. If I were you, I would disconnect the rear speakers that
you installed, but another amp that is capable of powering your sub, or just
run your components off of your head unit (probably provides enough power
for them), and amp your sub again. Just give it a try... visit
www.caraudioforum.com and ask some really knowledgeable car audio folks the
same thing, and I bet most of them tell you to take the rear speakers out of
the picture. That should help, and then think about getting some mid bass
drivers to install in the deck separating your rear seat from the trunk.
That would be my suggestion. Once again, rear speakers fubar your front
sound stage. When music is recorded, it is recorded to sound like you are
looking at a band. Most bands do not have performers in front of you and
behind you, which is why most concerts you go to will not have speakers
behind you, but walls in front of you. This is for stereo imaging. Sound
is mixed to sound good from one direction.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Just give it a try... visit
www.caraudioforum.com and ask some really knowledgeable car audio folks
the
same thing, and I bet most of them tell you

Hey! What are we? Chop liver?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

"MOSFET" wrote in message
Just give it a try... visit
www.caraudioforum.com and ask some really knowledgeable car audio folks
the
same thing, and I bet most of them tell you

Hey! What are we? Chop liver?

MOSFET

No just another cloned newsgroup. AKA the original

Chad

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

? I'm confused... are you guys calling www.caraudioforum.com a clone? I
hope not. The answers on there are much more timely, and there is always
people on there reading at all hours, so it's much easier to get a question
answered. And they have TONS of FAQ's and DIY's which are very helpful to
beginners to get there feet wet in car audio.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER