Stereophile

Default Classic Marantz/KLH-9 System For Sale - $130,000

I'm a great grand-nephew of a deceased audio industry executive and
after the recent death of my grandfather, a retired investment banker
and a close personal friend of this audio industry executive, we
discovered some new-in-the-box Marantz electronics and a new pair of
KLH-9 electrostatic speakers that have never been unboxed in his attic
at his compound in the Catskills.

The sales receipts indicate he purchased this equipment in the 1960's in
New York City and we are at a loss to understand why he never unboxed it
and set it up, unless it had something to do with a divorce he was going
through at the time.

Here's what we found in my grandfather's attic:

1 Marantz 7 tube preamp - The box has never been opened.

2 Marantz 9 power amps - The boxes have never been opened

1 Marantz Model 10 (not a 10B) tuner - the box has never been opened

2 Marantz wooden cases - one for the preamp and one for the tuner, both
in unopened boxes.

1 pair of KLH-9 electrostatic speakers - The boxes have never been opened

1 Thorens TD-124 Turntable with an Ortofon tone arm and an Ortofon SPU
phono cartridge still in it's original box, and an Ortofon step-up
transformer for the cartridge. The Ortofon tone arm has never been
mounted on the Thorens turntable so we believe the Ortofon SPU cartridge
has never been used.

All the boxes are in mint condition, no scuffs or water marks, and all
the original printing is clear and legible. The original packing tape,
although dry and brittle, is still sealing the boxes. However, the
boxes are rather dusty.

Sotheby's has rather eagerly offered to take this off our hands, and,
they did seem to think that we would most likely sell this equipment to
an Asian buyer.

We'd rather sell this as a complete system to a serious collector in the
US. However, we will break up the system for the following
non-negotiable prices and will ship to you at your expense using the
carrier of your choice:

Marantz 7 preamp: $ 25,000

Marantz 9 power amps: $ 45,000/pair

Marantz 10 tuner: $ 20,000

KLH-9 speakers: $ 30,000/pair

Thorens turntable,
Ortofon arm & SPU
phono cartridge &
Transformer: $ 10,000

The cabinets for the preamp and tuner are included with each unit.

We'd prefer to sell this system as a package. So, for someone who
wishes to purchase everything, we will sell everything for only $125,000
AND we will have it delivered to you via a Brinks security vehicle with
guards anywhere within a 12 hour drive of New York City.

We will require a reference from the president of your bank before we
schedule the delivery trip. And we will ask Sotheby's to run a
background check on you so we know you are a serious customer.

We will require payment via a certified check from your bank upon your
acceptance of the system. We will also need the name of the nearest
airport to your location that can accommodate a 4 engine Lockheed
JetStar private jet.

You will have the right to open the boxes and ensure you are getting
what you are paying for and that everything is cosmetically unblemished
other than normal ageing and oxidation. The attic this equipment has
been stored in is both heated and air conditioned and the home was
continuously occupied by the servants when the owner was not present.

However, since the boxes have never been opened, we can neither
guarantee nor warrant the electrical condition of this equipment.

We also require that an officer from your bank be present during this
transaction. Our attorneys will accompany us as we will need to present
you a formal bill-of-sale for estate settlement purposes, and we will
require you to have a notary present so the bill-of-sale can be notarized.

Please respond to this board and not to me if you have the financial
means and are interested in acquiring this one-of-a-kind historic system.

These prices are not negotiable.

If we do not sell this equipment here in the US we will let Sotheby's
take it to Asia and auction it there because we will net the same or
more if we choose this route. We'd just like to see this system stay
here in the US if possible, but we are also capitalists and Sotheby's
has assured us this pricing is most realistic, particularly in Asia.

Also, please refrain from e-mails complaining about the pricing:
Sotheby's is quite confident given the strength of the yuan and the fact
the boxes have never been opened they can easily exceed these prices if
this system in auctioned in Asia.

Stereophile, a music lover, not the magazine

Robert Morein

"OFFICIAL BLUEBOOK QUOTATION SYSTEM" wrote in message
ws.com...
On 10/31/03 17:10, in article , "Stereophile"
wrote:

[snip]

Sounds like the new equivalent of the Nigerian Scam!

RIPOFF ALERT!

You would be the expert, Brian.

The above is, of course, a forgery by Brian L. McCarty, r.a.m.'s great
pestilence and disease.

Check out
http://www.worldjazz.tv for my opinion of the man and his
ventures.
Brian is secretary of the Far North Queensland Film and Television
Association (FNQFTA) in Cairns, Queensland, Australia.
Brian L. McCarty resides in a condo at 65 Vasey Esplanade, Trinty Beach,
Cairns, Queensland, Australia.

It is with great pleasure that I announce that Brian L. McCarty's "Coral
Seas" studio project, an obvious scam, is now officially dead.

The remains may be viewed at http://www.coralseastudios.com .

Brian, we are celebrating your 49th birthday with news that the Coral Seas
project has gone belly-up.

We watch with great anticipation for the collapse of your WorldJAZZ Scam.

It's obvious that WorldJAZZ (http://www.worldjazz.com) is a
nonperforming non-asset, simply an invitation for the gullible to lose
money.

Coral Sea Studios, on the other hand, which McCarty (author of the above
post) also maintains, has already sunk beneath the waves. The project is
officially dead.

Brian, why do you keep around a zombie website?

Surely no business partners for Brian L. McCarty!

"WorldJAZZ
JAZZ MUSIC TELEVISION
NATIONAL CABLE
COMING SOON!
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
DAILY JAZZ PROGRAMMING TO BE SUPPLIED BY WORLDJAZZ
TO MOSCOW CENTRAL TV BEGINNING DECEMBER 2004"

Whoops! The above appears to be a pack of lies from the "WorldJAZZ" website,
http://www.worldjazz.com. Moscow Central TV is being informed about this
travesty.

The website goes on to say,

"WorldJAZZ has been named OFFICIAL CO-SPONSOR of the
2004 Jersey Jazz Bass Festival

SEPTEMBER 22-25 2004
LIVE BROADCAST PLANNED"

But there is no "Jersey Jazz Bass Festival" ! It's a complete fiction! There
IS a fishing tournament called the "Jersey Bass Festival".

And there's no "PETER THLIVEROSKI". It's a play on the name of Peter
Thliveros, a sports fisherman.

Lying is Brian's vocation. WorldJAZZ.com is built on the principle of the
"Big Lie", first enunciated by Joseph Goebbels.
Unfortunately, Brian doesn't know when to stop.
The fact of his lying on rec.audio.marketplace results in his constant
exposure on Google, which drives away the very suckers he would like to get
for WorldJAZZ.
We help this process of awareness along with a very active information
program.

Bluebook Value of Coral Sea Studios = MINUS $270,000.
Bluebook Value of WorldJAZZ Scam = Less Than Zero, precise numbers are under
INVESTIGATION.

The Face Behind the Mask:Scammer Brian L. McCarty, Moscow Central TV, David
C.L. Feng, David Ellison,
Ying Hong Huang, Lee Hodges, Anthony Ramallo, Melinda Hsu, Melinda Shu
80 Raffles Place, Coral Sea Studios, WorldJazz, Enron, K1 Ventures,
Trinity Beach, Cairns, Australia, Boomerang

McCarty had an early scheme for Internet radio. He claims to have sold
musical performance properties and/or a business plan to Black Entertainment
Television for $9.2M. Subsequently, he left Los Angeles. One unsubstantiated
rumor is that he left to avoid prosecution for a sex crime, presumably by
paying off the victim or family. Once in Australia, he made the acquaintance
of the brother of P.M. John Howard, who introduced him to contacts at ABN
Amro, an investment banking firm. They created a business plan for some kind
of a sound studio, still represented by the website
http://www.coralseastudios.com. After approximately a year, ABN withdrew
from partnership, but left the studio project still solvent. Some time
later, it went bankrupt or nearly so, owing $270,000 to it's employees. At
this point, Australia's entitlement law kicked in, paying the employees
monies owed them, with the exception of codirectors McCarty and Jeff Wexler.

It would appear that McCarty's enterprises failed because he has some kind
of mental imbalance, which exhibits signs of both schizophrenia and
obsessive-compulsive disorder. The impersonations which he makes of me are
a fraction of the numerous identities which he has used in the past, and
continues to use, on occasion, in the present. McCarty may actually believe
he is the person who he impersonates. Many of the identities are of
elaborate construction, taking some six months or more to take shape.
McCarty seems to have a magical belief that use of false identities provides
a shield.

Since his business failure, McCarty has tried to obtain new financing. These
methods characteristically rely on false identities and false business
fronts. His domain registrations are in the names of nonexistent people, and
his websites advertise nonexistent associations and companies, frequently by
theft of trademark. For example, my name, Robert Morein, was used as a
fictitious endorsement on his website http://www.coraseastudios.com. Since
he was caught some three months ago claiming to be a producer for a
syndicated jazz music program, his name has not appeared publicly on any of
his business enterprises.

McCarty is currently attempting to revive his Internet radio scheme,
WorldJAZZ, under the name http://www.worldjazz.com. This webpage currently
consists completely of false associations and endorsements. There is no
"Jersey Jazz Bass Festival", and "Peter Thliveroski" is a modification of
"Peter Thliveros", a sports bass fisherman!

McCarty has certain bizarre beliefs regarding the pricing of used audio
equipment appearing on rec.audio.marketplace. He refers constantly to a book
known as the "Orion Bluebook", which reports surveys of audio dealers for
prices they paid for used equipment, and prices at which sold. Anyone who
advertises on rec.audio.marketplace with prices in excess of the "wholesale
average condition" price is subject to attack by McCarty, who does so with
the vigor of the Red Brigades. Tactics he has employed against victims are
the filing of false crime reports with local police departments alleging
that the seller deals in stolen goods and alleged zoning violations.

Anyone can become a McCarty victim by disagreeing with him in a public
forum. In the past, consequences have been virus attacks, email bomb
attacks, defamatory postings, and chronic impersonation. All this is
contradictory to McCarty's apparent goal of obtaining finance for his
business projects. An intelligent scammer works quietly, while McCarty may
be the best known scammer of all time.

McCarty is 49 years old, and appears to be ill, requiring intermittent
hospital care. He apparently lacks mobility. It is possible that this
contributes to his mental imbalance.

Among McCarty's aliases, we have: Anthony Ramallo, David Ellison, David C.L.
Feng, Ying Hong Huang, Lee Hodges, Melinda Hsu, Melinda Shu, Robert Morein,
Robert X Morein, Sylvan Morein, Sylvan X Morein, et al.

Television Association, FNQFTA

VDOTman

This takes this hobby to a new level, if you can believe it. A lot of dough for
some old stuff. There are way better things in life to do with $125K besides
spend it on some old "glass" and a pair of what are sure to be dried out
electrostats. Caveat Emptor.

Tim Britt

A friend of mine is a vintage dealer (mostly vintage McIntosh, Bozak,
EV, and other lines from the 60's) in Durham, NC.

I happened to visit him last week and he had just set up a pair of
KLH-9's he bought at an estate sale for $200. They were still in the
boxes, the boxes had been opened, but there were absolutely no signs of
wear on the speakers, so if they were used, they were used sparingly.

Anyway, he had just hooked them up to a C28 McIntosh Preamp, a McIntosh
CD player, and a McIntosh MC2100 solid state power amp to test them and
I was astounded at just how good they sounded. They were significantly
better than the Quad 57's and Quad 63's he had in the store, and they
would play louder than either of the Quad models. They're not rock
speakers, but they sure sounded damn fine on classical, folk, and jazz
recordings. When I first saw the KLH's, I thought they were an older
set of Magnepans. My friend said he already had some people tell him
they would pay as much as $5,000 for a mint pair of KLH-9's. Now that's
a long way from the $30,000 this seller is asking for his KLH-9's but
there are some people out there for whom the difference between $5K and
$30K is only pocket change.

As for the $125K price, hell, there're a few lucky people who pay that
much or more for their cars, so everything's relative.

This stuff is certainly waaayyy out of my price range, but as P.T.
Barnum so astutely noted years ago, "There one born every minute" and
I'm sure the seller will find a buyer who will be buying this stuff for
the ego trip.

VDOTman wrote:
This takes this hobby to a new level, if you can believe it. A lot of dough for
some old stuff. There are way better things in life to do with $125K besides
spend it on some old "glass" and a pair of what are sure to be dried out
electrostats. Caveat Emptor.

Rich Andrews

OFFICIAL BLUEBOOK QUOTATION SYSTEM wrote in
ws.com:

On 10/31/03 17:10, in article ,

"Stereophile"
wrote:

[...]

Just like those new in the box McIntosh amps that were posted here a
couple of months ago. Brian, when will you lies stop?

Rich Andrews

Tim Britt wrote in news:3FA3504F.5030305
@cyber-wizard.com:

VDOTman wrote:
This takes this hobby to a new level, if you can believe it. A lot of

dough for
some old stuff. There are way better things in life to do with $125K

besides
spend it on some old "glass" and a pair of what are sure to be dried

out
electrostats. Caveat Emptor.

This is no longer audio gear, but collector's items. It does not matter
if the stuff even works, it has never been plugged in or touched since it
left the factory many moons ago. I wonder what a 1963 Caddy would bring
if it was found brand new in somone's heated and air conditioned garage.
Brian would scream that it is rusted worthless junk, but the fact of the
matter is that the car would have 7 miles on it and was parked for 40
years. I would say that it would fetch a fair amount of money and
certainly many times what the original sticker price was.

Bob Morein

On 11/3/03 17:04, in article
, "Rich Andrews"
wrote:

This is no longer audio gear, but collector's items.

Exactly. This is an audio marketplace. This junk is off-topic.

I agree, the RIPOFF alert is appropriate.

BOB MOREIN

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/l...ws/4853918.htm

Doctoral student takes intellectual property case to Supreme Court
By L. STUART DITZEN
Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA -Even the professors who dismissed him from a doctoral program
at Drexel University agreed that Robert Morein was uncommonly smart.

They apparently didn't realize that he was uncommonly stubborn too - so much
so that he would mount a court fight all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court
to challenge his dismissal.

The Supremes have already rejected this appeal, btw.

"It's a personality trait I have - I'm a tenacious guy," said Morein, a
pleasantly eccentric man regarded by friends as an inventive genius. "And we
do come to a larger issue here."

An "inventive genius" that has never invented anything. And hardly
"pleasantly" eccentric.

A five-year legal battle between this unusual ex-student and one of
Philadelphia's premier educational institutions has gone largely unnoticed
by the media and the public.

Because no one gives a **** about a 50 year old loser.

But it has been the subject of much attention in academia.

Drexel says it dismissed Morein in 1995 because he failed, after eight
years, to complete a thesis required for a doctorate in electrical and
computer engineering.

Not to mention the 12 years it took him to get thru high school!
BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Morein, 50, of Dresher, Pa., contends that he was dismissed only after his
thesis adviser "appropriated" an innovative idea Morein had developed in a
rarefied area of thought called "estimation theory" and arranged to have it
patented.

A contention rejected by three courts. From a 50 YEAR OLD that has
done NOTHING PRODUCTIVE with his life.

In February 2000, Philadelphia Common Pleas Court Judge Esther R. Sylvester
ruled that Morein's adviser indeed had taken his idea.

An idea that was worth nothing, because it didn't work. Just like
Robert Morein, who has never worked a day in his life.

Sylvester held that Morein had been unjustly dismissed and she ordered
Drexel to reinstate him or refund his tuition.

Funnily enough, Drexel AGREED to reinstate Morein, who rejected the
offer because he knew he was and IS a failed loser. Spending daddy's
money to cover up his lack of productivity.

That brought roars of protest from the lions of academia. There is a long
tradition in America of noninterference by the courts in academic decisions.

Backed by every major university in Pennsylvania and organizations
representing thousands of others around the country, Drexel appealed to the
state Superior Court.

The appellate court, by a 2-1 vote, reversed Sylvester in June 2001 and
restored the status quo. Morein was, once again, out at Drexel. And the
time-honored axiom that courts ought to keep their noses out of academic
affairs was reasserted.

The state Supreme Court declined to review the case and, in an ordinary
litigation, that would have been the end of it.

But Morein, in a quixotic gesture that goes steeply against the odds, has
asked the highest court in the land to give him a hearing.

Daddy throws more money down the crapper.

His attorney, Faye Riva Cohen, said the Supreme Court appeal is important
even if it fails because it raises the issue of whether a university has a
right to lay claim to a student's ideas - or intellectual property - without
compensation.

"Any time you are in a Ph.D. program, you are a serf, you are a slave," said
Cohen. Morein "is concerned not only for himself. He feels that what
happened to him is pretty common."

It's called HIGHER EDUCATION, honey. The students aren't in charge,
the UNIVERSITY and PROFESSORS are.

Drexel's attorney, Neil J. Hamburg, called Morein's appeal - and his claim
that his idea was stolen - "preposterous."

"I will eat my shoe if the Supreme Court hears this case," declared Hamburg.
"We're not even going to file a response. He is a brilliant guy, but his
intelligence should be used for the advancement of society rather than
pursuing self-destructive litigation."

No **** sherlock.

The litigation began in 1997, when Morein sued Drexel claiming that a
committee of professors had dumped him after he accused his faculty adviser,
Paul Kalata, of appropriating his idea.

His concept was considered to have potential value for businesses in
minutely measuring the internal functions of machines, industrial processes
and electronic systems.

The field of "estimation theory" is one in which scientists attempt to
calculate what they cannot plainly observe, such as the inside workings of a
nuclear plant or a computer.

My estimation theory? There is NO brain at work inside the head of
Robert Morein, only sawdust.

Prior to Morein's dismissal, Drexel looked into his complaint against Kalata
and concluded that the associate professor had done nothing wrong. Kalata,
through a university lawyer, declined to comment.

At a nonjury trial before Sylvester in 1999, Morein testified that Kalata in
1990 had posed a technical problem for him to study for his thesis. It
related to estimation theory.

Kalata, who did not appear at the trial, said in a 1998 deposition that a
Cherry Hill company for which he was a paid consultant, K-Tron
International, had asked him to develop an alternate estimation method for
it. The company manufactures bulk material feeders and conveyors used in
industrial processes.

Morein testified that, after much study, he experienced "a flash of
inspiration" and came up with a novel mathematical concept to address the
problem Kalata had presented.

Without his knowledge, Morein said, Kalata shared the idea with K-Tron.

K-Tron then applied for a patent, listing Kalata and Morein as co-inventors.

Morein said he agreed "under duress" to the arrangement, but felt "locked
into a highly disadvantageous situation." As a result, he testified, he
became alienated from Kalata.

As events unfolded, Kalata signed over his interest in the patent to K-Tron.
The company never capitalized on the technology and eventually allowed the
patent to lapse. No one made any money from it.

Because it was bogus. Even Kalata was mortified that he was a victim
of this SCAMSTER, Robert Morein.

In 1991, Morein went to the head of Drexel's electrical engineering
department, accused Kalata of appropriating his intellectual property, and
asked for a new faculty adviser.

The staff at Drexel laughed wildly at the ignorance of Robert Morein.

He didn't get one. Instead, a committee of four professors, including
Kalata, was formed to oversee Morein's thesis work.

Four years later, the committee dismissed him, saying he had failed to
complete his thesis.

So Morein ****s up his first couple years, gets new faculty advisers
(a TEAM), and then ****s up again! Brilliant!

Morein claimed that the committee intentionally had undermined him.

Morein makes LOTS of claims that are nonsense. One look thru the
usenet proves it.

Judge Sylvester agreed. In her ruling, Sylvester wrote: "It is this court's
opinion that the defendants were motivated by bad faith and ill will."

So much for political machine judges.

The U.S. Supreme Court receives 7,000 appeals a year and agrees to hear only
about 100 of them.

Hamburg, Drexel's attorney, is betting the high court will reject Morein's
appeal out of hand because its focal point - concerning a student's right to
intellectual property - was not central to the litigation in the
Pennsylvania courts.

Morein said he understands it's a long shot, but he feels he must pursue it.

Just like all the failed "causes" Morein pursues. Heck, he's been
chasing another "Brian McCarty" for years and yet has ZERO impact on
anything.

Failure. Look it up in Websters. You'll see a picture of Robert
Morein. The poster boy for SCAMMING LOSERS.

"I had to seek closure," he said.

Without a doctorate, he said, he has been unable to pursue a career he had
hoped would lead him into research on artificial intelligence.

Who better to tell us about "artificial intelligence".
BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As it is, Morein lives at home with his father and makes a modest income
from stock investments. He has written a film script that he is trying to
make into a movie. And in the basement of his father's home he is working on
an invention, an industrial pump so powerful it could cut steel with a
bulletlike stream of water.

FAILED STUDENT
FAILED MOVIE MAKER
FAILED SCREENWRITER
FAILED INVESTOR
FAILED DRIVER
FAILED SON
FAILED PARENTS
FAILED INVENTOR
FAILED PLAINTIFF
FAILED HOMOSEXUAL
FAILED HUMAN
FAILED
FAILED

But none of it is what he had imagined for himself.

"I don't really have a replacement career," Morein said. "It's a very
gnawing thing."

Doomed to another miserable 10 years or so as a failed member of what
is mostly a productive human race. Most of us have successes and
failures, but the tough get up and succeed again. And again. And
again.

But a twisted few are forever failures.

Thanks for the kind summary of Robert Morein's failed existence from
the Philadelphia Inquirer.

A Real Brian McCarty
Successful

Robert Morein

"Bob Morein" wrote in message
ws.com...
On 11/3/03 17:04, in article
, "Rich Andrews"
wrote:

[...]

Robert Morein

"Bob Morein" wrote in message
ws.com...
On 11/3/03 17:04, in article
, "Rich Andrews"
wrote:

[...]

Tim Britt

Excellent point. I think the Ford Mustang was only $2,200 or $2,300,
new, when it was introduced in 1964. I wonder what one would be worth
if it had been parked for 40 years, had only 7 miles on it, and was in
mint condition? I'm certain some collector would pay big bucks for it.

Hell, a new Mustang sells for over $20,000.

One fascinating aspect of this hobby to observe is that someone will
occasionally stumble across an old piece of equipment in mint condition
and then it will always sell for way more than it's really worth because
of it "collectibility."

Two Sansui TU-919 tuners sold for crazy money recently on eBay, one for
$ 1,005 and the other for $920. Makes me wish I had a pallet of them,
new in the box, in my garage. It'd be better than my 401(k)!

Rich Andrews wrote:

This is no longer audio gear, but collector's items. It does not matter
if the stuff even works, it has never been plugged in or touched since it
left the factory many moons ago. I wonder what a 1963 Caddy would bring
if it was found brand new in somone's heated and air conditioned garage.
Brian would scream that it is rusted worthless junk, but the fact of the
matter is that the car would have 7 miles on it and was parked for 40
years. I would say that it would fetch a fair amount of money and
certainly many times what the original sticker price was.

Stereophile

This system is sold. A gentleman from Hong Kong came across this
listing, we chatted, and he wired a deposit today.

He is flying into the city this weekend to inspect it and arrange
shipping. And we found him a freight-forwarding service that will build
a wooden shipping crate for everything, pack it, AND insure it for his
purchase price.

For those of you who thought this was a scam, the family is chuckling
all the way to the bank.

Dynamat Passat Brian Car Audio 24 April 16th 04 12:08 AM
Advice needed on new Hi-Fi system Alex Audio Opinions 128 October 3rd 03 02:07 PM
People that have or do listen to both Vinyl and Cd: Basicsurvey/poll Max Holubitsky Audio Opinions 85 August 10th 03 08:53 PM
Tech. Doc. needed JBL system in Peugeot 406 Coupe Okkie Car Audio 0 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM